Options

CEO Thinks low pay advertised brings best workers

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    He is the CEO of a website that posts funny pictures of cats.

I hardly think hes opinions on business prowess are ones to be taken to heart.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm, I wonder if I could steal this CEO from his job by offering him a sales job, long hours, even lower pay, no benefits or perk other than I will pay his payroll taxes as I'm only paying 5 dollars a day? My guess would be hell no
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Thats the dumbest thing I've read in a while.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hmmmmmm im glad hes not my CEO...
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    He is the CEO of a website that posts funny pictures of cats.

I hardly think hes opinions on business prowess are ones to be taken to heart.

I don't know.... Think of your last job! Hell, think of my current job! I am only here because of the work I do. I could probably make more at BestBuy.
  • Options
    I don't know.... Think of your last job! Hell, think of my current job! I am only here because of the work I do. I could probably make more at BestBuy.

Yeah but if my last employer had said "hey we are going to promote you and then repeatedly lie to you when you ask for a raise all while we make over 8 times what you do" then I wouldnt have stayed as long as i did icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    We advertise lower wages for entry-level positions because the worst candidates focus on money the most. Believe it or not, advertising lower-than-market wages actually helped us yield better candidates. Higher advertised wages resulted in much higher level of noise from candidates who really didn’t care about the job.

Utter balls... As someone with a family, mortage, bills to pay... From that point of view wage is very important to me, as well as job satisfaction from a personal point of view. And this is the same view from alot of other people.

This person has to wake up... IMO, He's only getting the best staff for that pay range (not to say that the people working there aren't any good, just that by advertising low wages that person already cuts off 50% of people just as good but may have more commitments).

-Ken
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    [Irony]

icanhaz.jpg

[/Irony]

(it was the best I could do on short notice)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Counterintuitive, but it makes sense for entry-level positions.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    disidisi Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can only speak for myself. Wherever I was in a company there are those totally overpayed guys, who are good in interviews. As soon as they settled and made friend with all the bosses they start to do nothing.

Especially in IT I can better work together with people interested in the topic than the wages. A job is also an opportunity to learn something and get experience. icon_study.gif
    So people who apply for the job with the needed skill are maybe more interested than others who only see the money...
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    Utter balls... As someone with a family, mortage, bills to pay... From that point of view wage is very important to me, as well as job satisfaction from a personal point of view. And this is the same view from alot of other people.

This person has to wake up... IMO, He's only getting the best staff for that pay range (not to say that the people working there aren't any good, just that by advertising low wages that person already cuts off 50% of people just as good but may have more commitments).

-Ken

I agree its cobblers. You get what you pay for in many situations. Of course you can get lowball people who are desparate for the work and would be a steller hire. At the same time you may get someone who is financially independent and can undercut for a job for a bit of beer money, but dont expect much commitment to the cause then!

I have no doubt this CEO tells the board you get what you pay for when he puts in a pay claim :)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To be fair this is only the advertised wage and he specifically stated it was not what the person was actually paid and canhaz also owns fail blog, pictures unrelated and thereifixedit.com.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Yeah but if my last employer had said "hey we are going to promote you and then repeatedly lie to you when you ask for a raise all while we make over 8 times what you do" then I wouldnt have stayed as long as i did icon_lol.gif

That's when you either:

A. Turn down the promotion.
    B. You only accept it knowing you only want the job title/experience, so you can get a better job elsewhere, and then leave.

At my last job, I was asked if I wanted to be promoted to "Principal Consultant", which would be more responsibility. When I asked how my compensation would change, they said none. I told them no. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    That's when you either:

A. Turn down the promotion.
    B. You only accept it knowing you only want the job title/experience, so you can get a better job elsewhere, and then leave.

At my last job, I was asked if I wanted to be promoted to "Principal Consultant", which would be more responsibility. When I asked how my compensation would change, they said none. I told them no. icon_lol.gif

Well the funny thing was they had already secured the funding for the jobs. They just never made the change when they promoted me and another guy.

So it ended up being letter B, in this case. Doing that large project while simultaneously earning my MCITP:EA has been the best thing for my career to date.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldn't consider a job below a certain salary so I must be money-hungry noise that needs to be weeded out.