What have your triumphs been in IT?

SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
I'm sure everybody in the IT world knows what I'm talking about. The projects that when you start you think to yourself "how the hell am I ever going to do this?"

But when you work hard and accomplish what you set out to, WOW, what a feeling...am I right?

Share yours hear, I would love to hear everybody's.

A few of mine recently have been:

• Creating a fully automated install of Windows XP that installs all drivers, Windows Updates, etc. automatically. Then once that is finished, it automatically deploys all the apps we use. Because of the costs associated with using programs like Ghost, I decided to set out to do this and learning a lot in the process (especially about scripting and msiexec)
  • Updating 32-bit CentOS linux servers to 64-bit...this involved being able to redeploy all data on the 32-bit server on the 64-bit server without losing anything...was a lot more challenging than you would think
  • LDAP integration of a Debian server with our Windows AD

I'm sure I will remember more lately, but that is a good start and gives you guys an idea of what I'm talking about.

So have at it...what have been your biggest IT triumphs? We have people of all different levels on this forum so I'm sure the answers will be all across the board. Nobody should feel that their triumphs are too novice compared to some of the real experts on this board...any time you stick with a tough task and see it through to completion is something to be proud of!
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I spent four months programming a php/mysql web-based application while simultaneously setting up a Server 2003 domain while having zero previous knowledge. It was a very miserable experience since I was way over my head in regards to both tasks, but perseverance paid off, and it was an awesome feeling to see everything come together at the end.

In the grander scheme of things, I've landed what I consider to be an ideal job, so all the previous years of studying and busting my ass (not that that's over with) seems to have been worthwhile.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Successfully penetration testing several of the largest banks and credit unions in the country and working on a truly revalutionary fiber to the home network. I also learned enough to be an engineer in a cable company head end.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Designed an Active Directory infrastructure for the 82nd largest school district in the country.

100ish sites, tens of thousands of users, tens of thousands of computers.

Included in this, P2V'ing about 75 old Dell servers running NT4 domains for each individual site. Decommissioning these and archiving them.
    Utilizing Virtualization to maxmize the use of our 1 server per building.
    Implemented WDS to replace antiquated Ghost and/or manual installs.
    Implemented the largest known Quest ActiveRoles instance that runs daily.
    Implemented the largest known Quest Authentication Services Linux/Apple integration into Active Directory, period.
    **** off heropsycho by insinuating that Hyper-V was on par with ESXi :D
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    **** off heropsycho by insinuating that Hyper-V was on par with ESXi :D

Destroying you in a debate doesn't mean I'm pissed. That was actually fun. icon_cool.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Destroying you in a debate doesn't mean I'm pissed. That was actually fun. icon_cool.gif

Gotta go with you on this one, ESXi is a superior product in my opinion.

BTW, quite impressive you were able to "impliment" all that without being able to spell implement icon_biggrin.gif

jk! Had to get a joke in there after you tried to compare Hyper-V to ESXi icon_cheers.gif
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
    haha good catch. I used to be such a good speller too icon_sad.gif

I had never worked with ESX before last month. All I knew was that I used Hyper-V due to a non-technological factor, but it worked well and was reliable for what we did.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not as grand as you guys but for me:
    Finally got the passion to get started with my certs, I've been procrastinating about doing them since 1995, no joke.

Got to where I am now without college, or certs for that matter.

Managed a few successful AD migrations for medium sized companies

Developed an ungodly amount of patience & ability to not be snarky despite my personality which is inclined towards being snarky and unpatient.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Getting in. Not getting fired.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    ...**** off heropsycho by insinuating that Hyper-V was on par with ESXi :D

You're right Hyper-V is much better icon_lol.gif
    Getting in. Not getting fired.

Same here...

For me it was:

1. Getting into IT
    2. Achieving my Chartered Status (CITP)
    3. Not being fired

-Ken
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Boatloads of migrations and integration work, and datacentres designed over the years. But I suppose 'moving with the times' really.
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    You're right Hyper-V is much better icon_lol.gif

=-Ken

oh_snap.gif