Options

My current plan

ToubisToubis Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,
I have decided to start studying for my MCITP For Windows 2008. I am (or was) a CNE for Netware version 4.1, i guess throughout the years i just went with the flow, and learned along the way windows server from my jobs. My current employer has a mix of windows 2000 (for the ERP application), Windows 2003, Exchange and other stuff. I stared last year playing with virtual PC an am amazed at how it works.
A friend of mine gave me his Trainsignal CBTs for Windows 2008, and i am looking at continuing with Hyper-V (someone suggested i also look at VMware).
Are there free resources for practice exams? What would i need if i wanted to set up a test network in my home?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Toubis wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I have decided to start studying for my MCITP For Windows 2008. I am (or was) a CNE for Netware version 4.1, i guess throughout the years i just went with the flow, and learned along the way windows server from my jobs. My current employer has a mix of windows 2000 (for the ERP application), Windows 2003, Exchange and other stuff.
    Welcome!
    I stared last year playing with virtual PC an am amazed at how it works. A friend of mine gave me his Trainsignal CBTs for Windows 2008, and i am looking at continuing with Hyper-V (someone suggested i also look at VMware).
    Are there free resources for practice exams? What would i need if i wanted to set up a test network in my home?
    Most study guides for the exams include practice questions. The MS Press books include MeasureUp practice exam(s), and the Sybex books have questions at the end of each chapter.

To get started with a test network you just need a decently powerful workstation and virtualization software. If you want to use Hyper-V you will need a 64-bit CPU that supports DEP and includes support for Intel VT-x or AMD-V. Of course with Hyper-V you will have to install Server 2008 on the workstation, so it might be troublesome if it's your main system.

Other popular options are Sun VirtualBox, which is currently free, and VMware Workstation, which isn't free. Both can install on a Windows or Linux workstation and support older hardware. This may be more convenient since it's less necessary to have a dedicated machine for your test network. You can just upgrade your existing workstation, if necessary, and get started with building your test network.

For the test network I've used for the MS exams I've taken, I'm using VMware Workstation on a reasonably fast workstation (quad core Intel CPU, 8GB RAM, 4 hard drives in RAID 10). It has worked well for me, I can definitely run enough VMs to learn with.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    ToubisToubis Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a few computers at home, but nothing faster than a P4. Dell had a quad core server ( T110) for about 400 shipped, so im gonna start saving for the next time i see a good deal. One of my friends is replacing a server at one of his clients, and offered it to me nso i may take it.
    My goal is to get my MCITP by the end of the summer.
    Thanks
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a few computers at home, but nothing faster than a P4. Dell had a quad core server ( T110) for about 400 shipped, so im gonna start saving for the next time i see a good deal. One of my friends is replacing a server at one of his clients, and offered it to me nso i may take it.
    My goal is to get my MCITP by the end of the summer.
    Thanks
    Good luck with your studies.
    Since your work still uses 2000 pay attention to the functional levels when studying for th 70-640.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.