Options

Failed 293 today!

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well I went in this morning with confidence after studying this test for about 3 months and failed today with a 550 score...I just feel horrible after all of this reading and practice testing (also this is my first failed test for the MCSE track) The only good thing is I used the Second Shot voucher, but I don't know when to reschedule...There's a side of me that wants to schedule on Monday or Tues. to get it over with and pass this time, and there's a side of me that doesn't want to fail again too soon. I don't know what more to study for, I even looked at the result sheet and there's only one category it was really low on, besides that everything else was up there. Any pointers anyone?

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    RomBUS wrote: »
    . . . I don't know what more to study for, I even looked at the result sheet and there's only one category it was really low on, besides that everything else was up there. Any pointers anyone?

Which category was it?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    The lowest categories I got in are: "Plan, Implement, and Maintain a Network Infrastructure" and "Plan, Implement, and Maintain Routing and Remote Access"

The rest were passed the middle area
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. I would hit technet to get more information on the areas that were harder for you. It also helps to go through the exam objectives and make sure you are solid on them.
  • Options
    Hmm I never thought about Technet...how would I use that to study for the test? Do I just look up articles on the categories or?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use technet a lot. I am working on the 680 and it helps fill in some of the errors. You should also check out some of Hyper-Me's posts, they are helpful in filling in blanks as well :D

Just go to Technet and search for server 2003. There are lots of articles, you can get eval versions for labbing, lots of resources available.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Hmm I never thought about Technet...how would I use that to study for the test? Do I just look up articles on the categories or?

As you're reading or taking practice tests jot down anything you're not sure you're sure about. Then look up the words describing those technologies or concepts. Looking up categories is an OK approach too.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you tried Transcender practice exams? Those really helped me.
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • Options
    Have you tried Transcender practice exams? Those really helped me.

I actually use Transcender as one of the main resources for studying...Im actually thinking of using the CBT Nugget videos.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Sorry to hear RomBus. I think that using the CBTNuggets may also fill in the gaps. I like watching them, some overlap from the 291/290 videos too, and you can use the fast speed option during playback. This test covers so many bases, I don't think 291 is the beast anymore. Good luck, you will get it soon enough.

What kind of scores are you getting when taking the Transcender tests? I try to use them as a final judge on how I will score on the test, without taking the practice tests too much, other wise it can turn into a answer memorization problem.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    Well an update on this....I went in this morning to take the test (after studying an extra month) and FAILED again with the same EXACT score...but now I scored lower/higher in different categories...this is starting to frustrate me (I think it already has)

I dont know what else to turn to, I used CBTNuggets, Transcender, little bit of the MS book, the Syngress book to review because I read the whole thing already, and used Wedge1988's little study guide, and I actually did labs (using Virtual PC) this time

The exam was 45 questions with a crapload of sims....I lost count at 5 or 6
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that Rombus.
    I failed this late last year and I have been pi$$ed off about it ever since. I got a 674 or something like that, my first fail. I've not done much studying since either but just recently I'm back into it and I have booked this evil test for the the end of next month. The 293 is deffo the new beast.

Don't give up though. Do you have access to any kit where you can lab up as much as possible? A couple of months ago I bought a cheap Proliant ML115 and I have bought a Technet subsciption whilst the discount offer was on, and installed hyper-v. I felt I needed to do this to make the labs I need to get this test out of the way.

I find the Testout for the 293 covers everything pretty well, this is the first exam I have come accross where I would say the Testout training is better than the CBT Nuggets. If you have the opportunity, I would recommend Testout.

You will nail it next time round I'm sure.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement mrmcmint, I need any kind of a pick-me-up right now. I feel like I know nothing now, all that studying got me nowhere. And Microsoft knows how to rub it in too, they make me wait 2 WEEKS of anxiety for me to schedule a third try...

I mean I run the labs locally on my main rig at home, It's able to run 2 Windows 2003 OS' easily (I just use the Evaluation version to get me where I need to be, its free 30 days so I take advantage) and a couple of clients

I really cant afford a seperate machine just committed to labbing due to my only income is relying on unemployment (sucks a lot)
  • Options
    RomBUS, sorry to hear about the fail again. I have this scheduled for next Tuesday, I keep pushing it back, I want to make sure I don't fail this thing again. I think the issue for me is that it covers so much and I am usually about to piss my pants after 3 1/2 hours of sitting there. The old bladder just isn't what it used to be, LOL.

I think I had the same amount of sims last summer. By the scores, if you look at both, what are the weak areas? Is your system able to handle a few more VM's, even if it slows to a crawl? The Testout software I am using is pretty good to, the sims load good. Not sure if you can get your hands on a copy.

I can't seem to find my last printout, so I am going in fresh this year on it. I thought someone posted that the questions aren't as wordy as they were last year. What is your outlook?

Not sure if it is against the NDA to post what areas/scores you are getting, but it might help to post those so maybe someone can provide some suggestions.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• Options
    Re-scheduled it for May 20th!

Hopefully the 3x a charm thing really works!
  • Options
    Good luck with it Rombus!
    I'm still following Motogp's advice and labbing as much as poss :)
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck,

It can be frustrating that you are unable to conquer this subject, but that doesn't mean that you don't know anything. Maybe you have just had crummy luck in the past and drew all the questions that are your weak points. Maybe this time you can get a more balanced test.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I just came back from the test center and scored with an 805! IM SO HAPPY I got this over with especially failing it two times it was definitely started to get to me but good thing I maintained my composure in there.

The test consisted of 45 questions and had about 5-6 Sims

Thanks to those who helped keep my head up during the wait period.

ONTO 294! (hopefully not as hard!)
  • Options
    I just came back from the test center and scored with an 805! IM SO HAPPY I got this over with especially failing it two times it was definitely started to get to me but good thing I maintained my composure in there.

Congrats
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats man. Good score!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    swatswat Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□

Wow nice! And a better score than me, 293 was a tough one for me. Comparatively I rocked 294, but I really dug the material.
  • Options
    Congrats rombus!!!!
  • Options
    MSNinjaMSNinja Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! See you in the 294 forum.
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Congrats! Well done.
  • Options
    CONGRATS!!!!! Glad to see you kept with it and didn't give up. What parts did you hit the hardest when studying again? I think the worst part is waiting for the score to pop up on the screen.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job in sticking with it.
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    rob7278rob7278 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I failed this one my first attempt as well (scored 675; missed by 1 stinking question). I am retaking this test tomorrow morning, hopefully I can pass it the second time around.
    Advice to anyone preparing for this test- Do not underestimate or look past this exam or it will bite you in the face!
  • Options
    Congrats
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    way to stick with your guns! good luck on 294

im having 2nd thoughts on my confidence with my 70-293 got to take now =(
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003