Options

Done reading Mike Meyer's All in One 7th edition

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
I'm done reading mike meyer's all in one 7th edition textbook!

Is this enough to prepare for the exam?

I dont have money to buy more books. hopefully knowing everything in this HUGE book inside out will allow me to pass. All I need is the cert as my interest lies in networking.

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    laptop wrote: »

I dont have money to buy more books. hopefully knowing everything in this HUGE book inside out will allow me to pass. All I need is the cert as my interest lies in networking.

I think its been around a while hasn't it Mikes book? But there is another on what 18th edition?

Amazon.com: Upgrading and Repairing PCs (18th Edition) (9780789736970): Scott Mueller: Books

I think these books are marvellous references and in a virtual world are real levelers on just how important hardware skills are..ask any Unix engineer.

But I wouldn't hope to read these tomes and commit to memory. Its just too much unless you are rainman or need medical help! Reminds me of Giles in the late nineties for CCIE. A mind streching exercise to be sure and a good one, I still remember my Giles nights through Christmas 1999 for all its errors, but get some practice tests in to make use of it all prior to the test!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    laptop wrote: »

Depends on your experience level...though typically most folks here recommend a couple sources.

So you don't find your future worth the investment?
    There are other ways...
    - libraries
    - used books
    - book exchanges
    - study group (local techs who may or may not be on the same exam, but willing to swap books).

I'd recommend at least the Sybex book, but it is your call.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would go to the local bookstore and look through the Exam Cram chapter questions and practice tests.

Look through the practice test in the Exam Cram book itself, not the Exam Cram Practice Questions book. Buying THAT book was the worst 20 bucks I ever spent.

I would also play around with Windows Vista and compare it to XP. See where user files are stored, boot options, etc.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It depends on you. You could go and get multiple sources for study or just stick to the one book. If you think that you're ready, go through the objectives for the test. If you can talk about it in technical terms without any mistakes (tripping up) and the book then I think that you are really ready. If you have trouble, goto the section and read it over a few times. Then retry to talk about the information to yourself without the book. I would also suggest reading the book repeatedly until you can skim through the chapters, knowing the information. This is basically how I studied from one book. I used the 6th edition.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    unandigunandig Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    I think its been around a while hasn't it Mikes book? But there is another on what 18th edition?

Amazon.com: Upgrading and Repairing PCs (18th Edition) (9780789736970): Scott Mueller: Books

I think these books are marvellous references and in a virtual world are real levelers on just how important hardware skills are..ask any Unix engineer.

But I wouldn't hope to read these tomes and commit to memory. Its just too much unless you are rainman or need medical help! Reminds me of Giles in the late nineties for CCIE. A mind streching exercise to be sure and a good one, I still remember my Giles nights through Christmas 1999 for all its errors, but get some practice tests in to make use of it all prior to the test!

The Scott Muller book is in it's 20th ed now and is a very good book to have I have the 12th and 18th ed on my shelf, best book I ever got as a gift. As far as passing with just Mikes book yes it can be done but it's recommended that you use a second book, but if you can use only one I would use his.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Make sure you apply what is in the book as well. Real world experience will help you more than any book probably could on the same topic. I suggest the study group.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.