Options

MCSA, Or straight to MCSE:Security?

Got a question...

I am planning on getting an MCSE, starting with Win2K, and upgrading to 2003 with the Security specialty. The question is, should I take the 70-210 215 218 (MCSA), and then MCSE, or skip the 218 test, because I don't need it for the MCSE:Security, and it would be an extra test. Is having the MCSA useful if you have an MCSE, or is if pretty much just ignored? Also, I might want the MCSA, because if would give me something else for job hunting that much earlier...

Thanks

Peter
There's no place like ^$
Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    PCHoldmann wrote:
    Also, I might want the MCSA, because if would give me something else for job hunting that much earlier...
    quote]

Yes, you may want the cert for a job that does rewuire MCSE. While the two are related, and MCSA in somewhat on the way to MCSE, they still two different certs. I would go for MCSA : Security first. There are very few major players that have upgraded to 2003, so 2000 admins are still in demand. Plus, if you don't have real world experience, having all these fancy certs will do nothing for you. Although, if you already have experience, you could skip MCSA, maybe do it later, and go right to MCSE.
    i remain, he who remains to be....