Options

Not working with recruiters the right choice?

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
So background I have a job presently but am looking for a new job. I'm not desperate but through posting my resume and applying to different jobs all I get calls back or from my resume are from recruiting agencies. Ive gotten about 7 in the last 2 weeks pretty much all different companies. Half of them for stupid jobs anyway below my pay scale.

I choose not to even answer these do you guys do the same? Like prefer to work direct hire unless forced to go through recruiting agencies? (unemployment for instance).

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I prefer direct hire, but recruiters are sometimes nessecary like you say. If you are unemployed anything is better than nothing.

Keep in mind companies also use recruiters for permanant, direct hire positions. Its not all contract work. They just find the candidates and get a commision, no working through the agency.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514

Keep in mind companies also use recruiters for permanant, direct hire positions. Its not all contract work. They just find the candidates and get a commision, no working through the agency.

Bingo.

+1 rep for you good sir. I believe many people miss opportunities due to just blowing off recruiters. They aren't just looking for 6 month contracts to fill. Many companies do use recruiters for direct hire positions. The company pays the recruiter x amount of dollars to find a candidate. That's it. You don't work for or get paid by the recruiter.

The key here, is Contract-To-Hire or something along those lines. Not a set contract date. And even that is not 100% valid, because many contract jobs can lead to permanent employment.

Contract-to-Hire is basically the nice way of saying probation period. And if they don't like you, they don't have to fire you. They just don't renew the contract for your placement there.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't mind recruiters. I actually have several on my LinkedIn connections. I can watch their status and be know if there is an interesting job coming up the stream.

It was because of a recruiter that I am employed right now. I recently sent him a thank you e-mail for contacting me about the job.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Use them, just don't count on them.

Make sure you are also looking on your own and finding as many leads as you can.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I work with recruiters when they call me about something I'm interested in. Unless they're from India, then I insta-hangup.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Use them, just don't count on them.

Make sure you are also looking on your own and finding as many leads as you can.

So much rep to give out today icon_surprised.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would do both. What do you lose by talking to a few recruiters?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    I have used recruiters in the past, but direct hire would avoid the risk of stepping into a temp/contract position if your leaving a permanent position.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I havent really had much success with them, but they do find you jobs. However dont use them as your only means to find jobs, there are many jobs out there that employers will not even talk to such head hunting agencies, so those jobs are left for you guys to get on your own. Just remember when unemployed use all means to find a job!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    A recruiter helped me get on board with my current position and I see nothing but advancement opportunities in front of me. It did start as a contract spot but to quote the head hunter "It's your job to lose"
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures