Where is this coming from?

xenodamusxenodamus Posts: 758Member
I'm playing with one of the extra switches from the closet here at work. I just erased the startup-config to use it for some practice and after doing so I'm getting TFTP errors periodically on my screen:

%Error opening tftp://10.147.90.2/ciscortr.cfg (Timed out)

I'm assuming its got a line somewhere telling it to load a config from a server on our network that doesn't exist anymore. Where is this coming from, though, and how do I get rid of it?
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Posts: 5,031Inactive Imported Users ■■■■■■■■□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    I'm playing with one of the extra switches from the closet here at work. I just erased the startup-config to use it for some practice and after doing so I'm getting TFTP errors periodically on my screen:

    %Error opening tftp://10.147.90.2/ciscortr.cfg (Timed out)

    I'm assuming its got a line somewhere telling it to load a config from a server on our network that doesn't exist anymore. Where is this coming from, though, and how do I get rid of it?


    Use the no service config command to kill that. I believe that is all you need to do (along with a copy run start)
  • xenodamusxenodamus Posts: 758Member
    Aha...much thanks. That seems to have stopped it. I didn't get that message on the last switch I wiped out, though. What exactly is causing it?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Posts: 5,031Inactive Imported Users ■■■■■■■■□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Aha...much thanks. That seems to have stopped it. I didn't get that message on the last switch I wiped out, though. What exactly is causing it?



    Basically the device tries to go out and grap the config from a TFTP server on your network.

    Cisco says it better

    "%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/network config" Error Message Prevention - Cisco Systems
  • CiskHoCiskHo Posts: 188Member
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Aha...much thanks. That seems to have stopped it. I didn't get that message on the last switch I wiped out, though. What exactly is causing it?
    Could it be due to the config register being set to load a file from tftp?
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

    Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Posts: 5,031Inactive Imported Users ■■■■■■■■□□
    CiskHo wrote: »
    Could it be due to the config register being set to load a file from tftp?

    I am curious to. Can you post your running config?
  • CiskHoCiskHo Posts: 188Member
    Run "sh vers" and make note of the last line displayed for the config reg info. Not sure where else that could be coming from if the config in flash had really been deleted.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

    Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Posts: 5,031Inactive Imported Users ■■■■■■■■□□
    CiskHo wrote: »
    Run "sh vers" and make note of the last line displayed for the config reg info. Not sure where else that could be coming from if the config in flash had really been deleted.

    This happened to me as well and I know my flash was fine. I just recall that service became activate somehow but I can't remember how.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Posts: 758Member
    That's probably it. Config register is 0xF. I've used a boot statement before, but how do you look at or delete the ones already in there?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • CiskHoCiskHo Posts: 188Member
    xenodamus wrote: »
    That's probably it. Config register is 0xF. I've used a boot statement before, but how do you look at or delete the ones already in there?
    You wiped out the boot statements when you deleted the startup config. In order to see the boot system config I just run "sh run" and it is displayed fairly close to the start of the config.

    Seems that you just need to change the config register back to the default.

    "Refer to the documentation for your platform for the default configuration register value. For many newer platforms, the default is 0x2102, which causes the router to boot from Flash memory and the Break key to be ignored."

    From priv exec run: "config-register 0x2102" (for a 2950 at least).
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

    Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Dilbert65Dilbert65 Posts: 73Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    It also depends on the router itself. None of mine did that until I bump up the IOS to 12 then my 26xx now always give that error after a
    write erase/erase startup.
    conf t
    no service config

    wr and then I have to do a reload and poof messages gone.
Sign In or Register to comment.