Options

Your official working hours

steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
My last two jobs have been 7 hour days, ie 9 to 5. (1 hour for lunch, unpaid is standard I think)

I am about to start a job where I work 8 hours a day instead of 7.

Just curious what you guys do.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always 8 hours. I've worked 6-3 7-4 and 8-5 in my jobs.

I had one job that I only had to have 37.5 hour work weeks.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i used to be 9-5, but @ my new job now, i'm 8-430...that 8am is kickin my ass tho...i definitely go to sleep on the subway on my way home from work....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm 8:30 - 5:30 with a pretty open period for lunch. As long as my projects are taken care of the boss doesn't really care when, or how long we take lunch.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Generally 7. Sometimes less.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    7:30-4:30 with an hour unpaid lunch - however I usually work 7:15AM to 5-5:30PM than work a few hours from home.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    7:30-4:30 with an hour unpaid lunch - however I usually work 7:15AM to 5-5:30PM than work a few hours from home.

If we are adding working from home also go ahead and put me down for an extra four hours or so a day. Some times being on salary sucks.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I dont have a typical work day. i am at customer sites everyday so it pretty much is whenever im done. could take me an hour. could take me 8hours. But if you count the time i spend traveling, it probably adds up to 9hours+.
  • Options
    Dilan-LTDilan-LT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    9 hours + 1 hour lunch :)
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If we are adding working from home also go ahead and put me down for an extra four hours or so a day. Some times being on salary sucks.....

no...not sometimes....just about all the time. there's no OT....thats extra moooooooooooooolah that i could be getting. i get to work @ 8, but i dont leave till 5-515. i dont really do work from home at this job yet. but at my previous job, i'd get to work @ 9 and leave around like 545, and then do work from home all the time. i'm just glad i didnt have a work BB for that job, and i'm glad i dont have one for this one either....thats when you're always connected to the job....i'm good, i like to have some time away from the job. dont need my berry goin off, and i'm bustin ass @ some MW2, or out chillin with my pplz
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    7 hours, two days a week. This will change to 5 hours with two days a week because I'm on work study and my hours are running out, which means I have less money in my account from the government. I used to work 9 hours straight, no lunch or breaks.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    9pm to 9am, with a shifting schedule. One week we work 3 days with 4 off, the next week we work 4 days with three off
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    7:30-4:30 M-F

Tuesday and Thursday I work from home, woot.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No set hours...we all have long commutes and come in at different times. We work till we are done for the day and then leave, however most of us work from home after we leave. We are also on call 24x7 and most things need attention at 2am icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    FaygoFaygo Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    9pm to 9am, with a shifting schedule. One week we work 3 days with 4 off, the next week we work 4 days with three off

I had a shift like that when i worked in operations At K-mart, Never again:)
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I work 0730 until 1600 hrs Monday thru Friday (with an hour lunch).
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□

Luckily - I'm hourly. icon_thumright.gif

I average 50-60hrs in any given week.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Officially between 8 and 6 7.5 hours anywhere in there

In reality it's all over the map between 6am and 8pm and weekend work. No overtime for mgmt either.
  • Options
    Faygo wrote: »
    I had a shift like that when i worked in operations At K-mart, Never again:)

Yeah, I miss my old shift, which was just 10pm to 10am Fri,Sat,Sun. It's not too bad when we're not busy though, lot of free time to study
  • Options
    loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mine is 3PM-11PM monday through thursday, and then 11AM to 7PM on Fridays. I feel like I'm spending all my time at work sometimes :)
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I worked third shift at Target for a few months one christmas season. I don't know that I could ever do it again.

Its not bad if you have people there that are lively and fun to be around, but I would get off at 6 am and sleep til 8pm (never fully adjusted to it) and go right back in at 10. I never saw daylight for almost 1/4 of a year.
  • Options
    I have my misgivings about working 3rd shift. I don't like what it does to my social life, especially with the weird days I have to work. On the other hand, I get more hands on than I would during the days. Unless it's a major change, when we're deploying new network gear, I sit down with the Senior, we go over the MOP, and I go handle the deployment, since obviously we're not going to do that kind of work during peak hours. If I was working days I would either never get to handle it, or I would have to come in during the middle of the night to handle it.

The other side of it is that I have *alot* of free time that I can exploit to better myself on the companies dime. Most nights, I have one or two hours of real work to do, and the rest of it is essentially babysitting, and there are indeed nights where I have literally no work to do, I'm like the security guard up front, I just have to show up in the event that something might go wrong.

So I recognize and treat the opportunity for what it is. Once I have myself where I want, I'll hopefully never have to work a night shift again.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□

I'd much rather have a predictable and budgetable income than one that could be less one month and more another. I'm a part time worker, and I'd much rather have a set amount I am paid every two weeks than one that changes all the time.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    I'm coming up on the end of my first month on my new job, and while the company is officially open 8-5 M-F... well, I'm the only IT guy on staff and I have a company Blackberry. I worked an 18 hour day a week or so ago, but worked a standard 8 hour a couple days this week. I officially have one hour of unpaid lunch, but whether it's acceptable to use it all is up to the situation. Some days I don't take lunch at all.

Generally, I'm averaging between 45 and 55 hours a week. Salaried, btw.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My "official" work schedule is 7.5 hours a day not including my breaks. Now on the other hand "unofficial" time I actually put in is a whole other story.
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My official shift is 7-3, but I'm usually here by 6:30
    With our recent transition to iGate, our call volume really dropped. often all the help calls have come in by 11 or 12 (people desperate not to call the help center call directly, now our volumes are back up lol), and often-times, the guys working the 9-5 shift tell me to go home if I want, which is usually about 1:30-2pm

I'm salary, get half an hour unpaid lunch, so it's technically a 7.5hr day, but I work less than that.. and none at home.. Makes me wonder why I want to move up in the career lol.. sounds like it would double my work without doubling my pay icon_silent.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Had to put less than 7 per day.....I'm unemployed! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    bugsybugsy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    7.5 hours/day mon-fri.

From 7:00-9:00am to 2:30-4:30pm.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    9-5/m-f
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..