Options

Just got promoted! Certs helped

kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
Hello folks,

Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge on this site.

I have been working helpdesk at a hospital for the last 3 years (this week is my anniversary).
A tech position finally (internal posting only) opened up and I applied. There are guys at our 'desk that have been here for 6+ years (it pays well at our desk) and they were interested in this position, but the position required A+ and MCP. I am the only with A+ and other certs and I got the position. None of my co-workers are bitter, they are telling me that I earned it.

Don't misunderstand me. It is not just that I have the certs. I worked my tail off. Our director mentioned that I provide a very high level of service to our users (she has received many, many responses of how great my attitude is from user replies in Remedy).

In short, if you start at the helpdesk, make sure you attempt to have a positive, can-do attitude. It will get noticed. Some folks veiw helpdesk work as crap and do not put any effort into it because it is entry level. This is where you learn a heap of stuff.

Sorry for the long post, Im pretty hyped at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Woot! Congrats man! icon_cheers.gif

And that's cool to hear that your certs played a major role in job advancement. It goes to show that certs can help give you the edge that other possible applicants may not have.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    congrats! certs do help they show your enthusiasm to excel and work hard. Honestly if you have no desire to move on or you just like working help desk, you should be out of the help desk position with 1 to 2 years onto a Higher JR position like server, network, management, voip, secuirty, or programing.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats. What's up for you next (cert wise)?
  • Options
    TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    Congrats
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Great to hear that your hard work is paying off.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's so nice to hear some positive in our negative market! Congratz!!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrtas!!!!!
    Nice to hear some good news here. Your attitude and job performance probably counted just as much as those certs. Keep up the good work.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz, so what will you be doing in your new position?
  • Options
    girdavid178girdavid178 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Congrats. What's up for you next (cert wise)?

Thanks all for all the great responses.

Knwimus, I am currently working on getting MCSE out of the way. I just failed the 70-293 with a 625. I made a silly mistake on one of the sims, already researched and found out what I should have done (I actually did it correctly at first but changed my answer).Upgrading to MCTIP/SA after that. After those certs I plan on obtaining a bachelors degree (WGU).
  • Options
    Congratz, so what will you be doing in your new position?

Thanks Bro,

I will be swapping out printers, installing apps, repairing and or replacing PC's, imaging new devices, etc. We are in the process of retrofitting our hospital (Cali earthquakes!) so there is always department moves- moving PC's and printers to new offices and rename them and add them to the network. Document and dispose of surplus (dead) equipment and a whole lot more!
  • Options
    kenny831 wrote: »
    Thanks all for all the great responses.

Knwimus, I am currently working on getting MCSE out of the way. I just failed the 70-293 with a 625. I made a silly mistake on one of the sims, already researched and found out what I should have done (I actually did it correctly at first but changed my answer).Upgrading to MCTIP/SA after that. After those certs I plan on obtaining a bachelors degree (WGU).
    Are you a student there yet? There are a lot of people on here who are. If you're not a student yet one of them can refer you and save you the application fee.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Sounds like you have a great gameplan there Kenny. It sounds a lot like my own. Knock out the certs on your own time and pace, transfer them into WGU, and finish a degree in 2 yrs or less. You heard it here, this will be one of MANY promotions coming your way if you stay on course and never stop learning. Knowledge is power. Always has been, always will be.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Are you a student there yet? There are a lot of people on here who are. If you're not a student yet one of them can refer you and save you the application fee.

Not a student yet, thanks for the tip. I will ask for a referral when I am ready to apply. Hopefully I will be ready this winter.
  • Options
    cablegod wrote: »
    Sounds like you have a great gameplan there Kenny. It sounds a lot like my own. Knock out the certs on your own time and pace, transfer them into WGU, and finish a degree in 2 yrs or less. You heard it here, this will be one of MANY promotions coming your way if you stay on course and never stop learning. Knowledge is power. Always has been, always will be.

Thanks for the response, it kinda sounded too good to be true when I looked into WGU, but it seems like it will work out. Thanks for the positive feedback.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're on a good track. You may want to take your Sec+ before years end so it'll be lifetime. Since you're waiting on winter to start WGU you may want to do your Proj+ as that's one of the certs that'll transfer in.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Sounds like you're on a good track. You may want to take your Sec+ before years end so it'll be lifetime. Since you're waiting on winter to start WGU you may want to do your Proj+ as that's one of the certs that'll transfer in.

Thanks, I did not know Project+ was a transfer cert. Will get that out of the way along with the Sec+.
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    congratz man, I agree... work your butt off and you can get promoted, I learned the hard way and left a job only to find out that they were going to promote me... live and learn. icon_redface.gif
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...