Options

Career Advice

Hello Guys/Gals,

I need some career advice. I've basically been working at the help desk for the past 2 years and don't feel challenged anymore. I also work for a small company so not much luck in moving up the ladder.

My goal is to become a systems/network/messaging administrator or support engineer.

I currently have an A+ certification and recently became MCTS Windows Server 2008.

I will be going for my CCNA and MCP (Windows Server 2003) certifications as well.

Do you guys think my certifications might land the dream job for me ?

Do you think a CCNA + MCP would be a good 1,2 punch on my resume ? I hope to network with recruiters and alike.

What do you guys think of my plan, will I be able to leave the help desk world ?

All feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Your plan is on the mark, just dont underestimate the power of social networking. I might not have broken into the tech industry if it were not for a couple of friends in college. It really is who you know, and less what you know.
  • Options
    teksource1984teksource1984 Member Posts: 100
    So your saying the CCNA & MCP (70-290) will land new roles for me ?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So your saying the CCNA & MCP (70-290) will land new roles for me ?

Not trying to fill in for brad-, but no certification is going to guarantee you a new role. If you have the applicable experience to go with those certs they will sure help you get there though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I only have help desk experience. After attaining both my CCNA & MCP what new doors can be opened for me ?

I've gotten a few system/network admin interviews in the past before.

Will I still be doing help desk ?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I only have help desk experience. After attaining both my CCNA & MCP what new doors can be opened for me ?

I've gotten a few system/network admin interviews in the past before.

Will I still be doing help desk ?

You *may* get more visibility, but honestly, there's no magic bullet.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You may have to start at help desk at a larger company and work your way up. This shouldn't be hard to do as you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are planning for the future.
    You have an advantage here as almost all help desk jobs being advertised require 2 years experience. First try for helpdesk at a company where you can progress to new levels (networking) and express your desire for advancement in your interviews.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Like Fade said there is not a single thing like a certification that gets you a role. If you have the experience, certifications, education, a little luck and the right soft skills you have a great chance of getting a job as an admin some where. Is that guaranteed? Hell no, you may have everything you need for a position and the interviewer may just not like you. All you can do is apply for the jobs and go from there.
  • Options
    I see. But I still should pursue my certs, correct ?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Absolutely!

It's not about finding a Magic Bullet. It is about creating opportunities to be noticed, about making HR notice you, and learning skills that will aid your present, and future job.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely, certs will help to show your desire to grow and advance. They also fill in the spaces in your resume..
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Yes you should. They are one of the many pieces of the puzzle to getting a good job. I'm just trying to let you know what kind of help they will be realistically. We get a lot of people that come on here that think they just go get their CCNA or MCSA and are automatically going to get a dream job making $80k. They are then sorely disappointed when they finish their certs that they have no practical experience with and still can't find a job.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you guys think my certifications might land the dream job for me ?

Will a high school diploma or associates degree land you your dream job? Probably, but most likely not. Highly unlikely even. Its pretty much a no.

Its not about what certifications you have, its about what you know and how well you can do what you know.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Luck = Preparation + Opportunity

I agree with all of the statements made here, for the most part. You must know your stuff and you must get out and get to know people in the industry. What you need to do is create the perfect storm for your career and eventually you will hit critical mass and land the opportunity you are looking for.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Probably, but most likely not.
    Definately, maybe.
    Almost certainly, without a chance.
    icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I appreciate the feedback.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I appreciate the feedback.
    I may get flamed for saying this here, but you really dont need the certs. All they MAY do is help you get an interview. You do however need the knowledge...and studying and setting up test labs are the best way to do it...the cert itself though is just resume fodder. If you know someone or can get your foot in somewhere, certs are not as important as ability and experience.

For example...I work with someone that doesnt have a single cert - not a one - and he's a software developer that has all the MCSE and CCNA knowledge anyone else has as well. Now, if I had all that knowledge, I'd probably do a couple just to get them for conversational purposes, but he doesnt need them whatsoever, because he has the experience and knowledge.
  • Options
    brad- wrote: »
    I may get flamed for saying this here, but you really dont need the certs. All they MAY do is help you get an interview. You do however need the knowledge...and studying and setting up test labs are the best way to do it...the cert itself though is just resume fodder. If you know someone or can get your foot in somewhere, certs are not as important as ability and experience.

I don't think this will get you flammed here. I agree with you in fact. Cert should be icing on the cake. Sometimes they *are* needed by someone trying to break in or trying to change roles because they may help compensate for a lack of experience. But let's face it. Being an admin is not rocket science. I would much rather have a guy with a great record in past jobs but little experience than a dude who's been an admin for 7 years and has caused 90% of the problems he had to solve.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Absolutely!

It's not about finding a Magic Bullet. It is about creating opportunities to be noticed, about making HR notice you, and learning skills that will aid your present, and future job.

Exactly. Give yourself the ability to be accepted by the places you want to go, and put yourself in the position of them picking you. If you find enough of the combination of these, you should eventually land a job.

It is luck, some would say. But it is up to you how much luck you can have open to receive.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Luck = Preparation + Opportunity
    chmorin wrote: »
    Exactly. Give yourself the ability to be accepted by the places you want to go, and put yourself in the position of them picking you. If you find enough of the combination of these, you should eventually land a job.

It is luck, some would say. But it is up to you how much luck you can have open to receive.

EXACTLY! As long as you are good, someone will eventually take a chance on you. The more people you know, the more opportunity you will have.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Definately, maybe.
    Almost certainly, without a chance.
    icon_lol.gif

:)

magic8ball.jpg
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    :)

magic8ball.jpg

YES!!! I am going to make that my avatar!