Options

Technet Subscription

I have been battling back and forth recently about getting a sub to Technet. Only $350/yr for digital downloads, doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

The guys that have it, do you guys find it worthwhile? What software is available? If Server 2008 is available, do the licensing terms allow for multiple installs? i.e, if I wanted to say have 3 2k8 boxes at my house for my own testing/demo purposes?

Sorry if these are easily found. This post is blatantly a mask to try to get someone to sell me the product lol.
"Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel

Comments

• Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Yes it really is worth it... I've been a member for 3 years now. The renewal rate is $250 a year if I remember correctly. Also look around there are usually coupons out there for a discount off the subscription.

As far as what's included pretty much all microsoft os's...

Windows 2008 is included along with R2. You pretty much get 10 keys for every OS and Office.

Also say with Windows 7 there are several versions like Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc.

You get 10 keys for each version! It's a pretty awesome deal.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So the deal is that you aren't supposed to use them for "Production" use, correct?
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Yes for testing purposes only, technet is a great thing to have very useful not only for studying but for curiosity's sake when you fancy a fiddle with something that their may not be an evaluation version.

Definately worth the yearly outlay!

As an idea I can even download windows 3.11 if I really wanted to it does have pretty much all the MS catalogue on there
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    So, these are full versions? Or do they expire after 6 months like the copies that come with MS Press books?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    They are full versions and its the best money I ever spent.

Actually, i didnt spend any money cause i've gotten a few subscriptions for free.

But i WILL be renewing yearly.

Right now at home I have 2 2008 R2 VMs, 3 2008 VMs, 1 TMG 2010 VM, 1 Exchange 2007 VM and in the new few days an Exchange 2010 VM. All from technet. You literally get any MS product from DOS all the way to the 2010 beta stuff.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Turns out work has already purchased one. So I guess I will just use our company account to get some eval software icon_cool.gif Can't believe I am just now finding out about this. Asking around pays off ;)

Thanks guys.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Yeah I do all my lab testing with Technet. Best thing since slice bread.
    Turns out work has already purchased one. So I guess I will just use our company account to get some eval software icon_cool.gif Can't believe I am just now finding out about this. Asking around pays off icon_wink.gif

Thanks guys.

That is the same way I have access to Technet, well worth the price.
    Knowledge is Power.