Can you pass CCNA Voice without access to physical Lab

zobo88zobo88 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
I work in carrier grade VoIP with VoIP gateways, SBCs, B2BUAs etc, so I do have sound concepts regarding VoIP
However I do not work with cisco VoIP equipment, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile for me to go for Cisco Voice path ? and would I be able to do that without having access to cisco VoIP equipment
are there simulators available for cisco VoIP just like we have GNS3 and PacketTracer ?

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    zobo88 wrote: »
    I work in carrier grade VoIP with VoIP gateways, SBCs, B2BUAs etc, so I do have sound concepts regarding VoIP
    However I do not work with cisco VoIP equipment, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile for me to go for Cisco Voice path ? and would I be able to do that without having access to cisco VoIP equipment
    are there simulators available for cisco VoIP just like we have GNS3 and PacketTracer ?
    So to start the Cisco voice path requires CCNA Voice, one of two exams will get you that, 640-460 IIUC or 642-436 CVOICE 6.0.

The IIUC is mostly based around call manager express which I guess can be emulated using GNS3. I don't know how well it will work though and you'll not get chance to play with voice cards (E1, T1, FX....). It may be possible to pass this exam without physical equipment.

Not sure about the CVoice exam but I think that uses a server based Cisco Unified Communications Manager, routers acting as Gatekeepers etc. Having a lab is probably a must for this.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can do a bunch in GNS3, but not all of it. You can follow the hybrid approach in the Blindhog link in this post:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/32865-my-ccvp-diary.html#post281183

While you can do a bunch of Voice stuff with GN3, you'd have some major gaps in your knowledge & skills if you don't have access to hardware for the tasks you can't do in GNS3 (and VMWare).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!