Options

VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 vs. VWIC-1MFT-T1

FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Are there really any differences worth paying the premium for the VWIC2 over the VWIC for use in a Cisco 2811?

Other than the ability to do E1's with the VWIC2?

This is for my CCVP lab.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The highlights on the changes from the datasheet
    Cisco 2nd Generation 1 and 2 Port T1E1 Multiflex Trunk Voice WAN Interface Cards [Cisco 3800 Series Integrated Services Routers] - Cisco Systems
    The Cisco MFT VWIC2 interface cards add numerous improvements over the Cisco 1- and 2-port T1/E1 Multiflex Voice/WAN Interface Cards (MFT VWICs):

The MFT VWIC2 cards have an onboard slot for a Cisco MFT Dedicated Echo Cancellation (ECAN) Module (part number EC-MFT-32 or EC-MFT-64), offering an enhanced echo-cancellation capability for demanding network conditions.

The T1/E1 MFT VWIC2 cards support both T1 and E1, providing additional flexibility in configuring the Cisco MFT VWIC2s for supporting T1, fractional T1, E1, and fractional E1 for both voice and WAN applications.

All MFT VWIC2 modules now include the drop-and-insert multiplexing capability, which eliminates costly external third-party channel service units/data service units (CSUs/DSUs) and drop-and-insert multiplexers.

The Cisco 2-port MFT VWIC2s also can enable each port to be clocked from independent clock sources for data applications.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »

Those seems largely worthless for a CCVP lab. Agreed? Except for the E1 part I guess--but I don't think you need E1 experience to pass....
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    FattyAcid wrote: »
    Those seems largely worthless for a CCVP lab. Agreed?
    Agreed!!

To get some E1 interfaces for my home lab "European Branch Office" I finally found a couple $50 MFT-E1 interface cards for a couple of my MC3810s (none of which cost over $50). The cheapest VWIC-1MFT-E1 I found (here in the US) was still outrageous to the point that the VWIC2 became an option.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got my VWIC-xMFT-E1's out of Hong Kong/China, single port was US$85, dual port was US$95, add US$22 for shipping. Same price for T1's. VWIC2's are just too expensive.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    azaghul wrote: »
    I got my VWIC-xMFT-E1's out of Hong Kong/China, single port was US$85, dual port was US$95, add US$22 for shipping. Same price for T1's. VWIC2's are just too expensive.
    Are they real? I've seen really good prices for WICs on eBay where the seller is in HK or China along with stories about counterfeit cards that look nearly identical to real ones. e.g. WIC-1DSU-T1-V2s and WIC-1ENETs
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Are they real? I've seen really good prices for WICs on eBay where the seller is in HK or China along with stories about counterfeit cards that look nearly identical to real ones. e.g. WIC-1DSU-T1-V2s and WIC-1ENETs

We (somewhat) inadvertently ended up with a bunch of counterfeit NM-1E and counterfeit VWIC2-1MTF-T1/E1.

They seem to work fine.

*shrug*
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They probably are cheap counterfeits and I've had no trouble with them so far, touch wood, (bought E1's and WIC-2T's). They are only for the home lab (not production) and have survived CCNA-Voice and CVOICE. Which would have been worse really, businesses can white them off at a loss, I can't.:)
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The VWIC2-xMFT-T1/E1s definitely aren't necessary for the lab. I have 1 but only because it came in one of the routers that I picked up. Most of the 2MFTs (E1 & T1) that I have are CHisco (ebay from Hong Kong sellers) and they work fine - certainly wouldn't let them near any production routers though.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT