Options

New To Posting...

Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
Good Day all,

I am new to posting on TechExams.net but I have lurked and read information from the site. Since there always seemed to be a professional attitude and a desire to help others, as such I decided to join and help contribute.

Chris
Degrees:
M.S. Information Security and Assurance
B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Welcome icon_cheers.gif
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    Thank you. Cheers.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glad to have you! Welcome to the forums. :D
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hi and welcome to the fountain of knowledge. :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    andionandion Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a HP Compaq 6720s laptop .... and I have a problem.laptop not be opened and am trying to prove with f2.and has to give with this message ... Failed startup check.Status=failed-replace hard disk 1
    warranty id =83klh-00000-20098-cnu73-10008-01
    What should I do please help
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    andion wrote: »
    I have a HP Compaq 6720s laptop .... and I have a problem.laptop not be opened and am trying to prove with f2.and has to give with this message ... Failed startup check.Status=failed-replace hard disk 1
    warranty id =83klh-00000-20098-cnu73-10008-01
    What should I do please help

Probably should start a new thread rather than posting something totally unrelated in this one....

Oh, and welcome to the OP!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Good Day all,
    as such I decided to join and help contribute.

Chris

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey Chris welcome to techexams. I have a question for you. What is your take on the GSEC in general? Also how would you compare your experience in taking the GSEC compared to the Security+ in terms of material.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Greetings Chris!
  • Options
    The GSEC is very different when comparing it to Security+. They will both cover some similar material but the way they cover it is different. Despite GSEC being open book you must still understand the information because the answers cannot be found in the books or your notes (exceptions are the non-tech questions or simple command questions). What you can find in the books or your notes is how to ascertain the answers.

Security+ is an endurance test where you must memorize about 150 pages worth of information and regurgitate it the Comptia way.

GSEC is a technician's test in which you must understand about 3000 pages in 6 different modules of information and answer very technical questions technically.

Security+ is not a bad certification at all, it is a good stepping stone to the GSEC.

You can pass Security+ after attending a boot camp and some studying. You cannot do the same with GSEC. After the 6 twelve hour day class you must read all the material, index your notes and the 6 books and finally practice with all the tools they give you. If you do just some of that you may walk away with a 75-80 which is a pass but, remember your scores are posted online for anyone to see.

Examples of questions you will see on GIAC tests: http://www.giac.org/question_of_the_week.php

I hope this helps, hit me up if you have any other questions.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    andionandion Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what shold i do..if i have any posibility to return back my notebook pc
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    The GSEC is very different when comparing it to Security+. They will both cover some similar material but the way they cover it is different. Despite GSEC being open book you must still understand the information because the answers cannot be found in the books or your notes (exceptions are the non-tech questions or simple command questions). What you can find in the books or your notes is how to ascertain the answers.

Security+ is an endurance test where you must memorize about 150 pages worth of information and regurgitate it the Comptia way.

GSEC is a technician's test in which you must understand about 3000 pages in 6 different modules of information and answer very technical questions technically.

Security+ is not a bad certification at all, it is a good stepping stone to the GSEC.

You can pass Security+ after attending a boot camp and some studying. You cannot do the same with GSEC. After the 6 twelve hour day class you must read all the material, index your notes and the 6 books and finally practice with all the tools they give you. If you do just some of that you may walk away with a 75-80 which is a pass but, remember your scores are posted online for anyone to see.

Examples of questions you will see on GIAC tests: GIAC Question of the Week

I hope this helps, hit me up if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the info Chris. dynamik let me use one of his practice tests for the GSEC and I scored 62.2% on the test with where I am at now. I really like the test layout and how the questions make you think things out rather then oh ya I memorized that. I hope to take this in about 6 months or so. Good luck with the gold status and your CISSP studies. I am sure you will here more from me in the coming months.
  • Options
    That is great. Best of luck I class the GSEC about equal to the RHCT in difficulty but they are quite different in how they test you. BTW the Cert you are given looks really nice complete with Gold leaf. I know that is not the reason we do this but it was a nice change from the standard paper press stuff.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    whats up fellow Chris! icon_smile.gif welcome to the forum! How is it out there in Japan? I want to visit sometime in the coming years.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    whats up fellow Chris! icon_smile.gif welcome to the forum! How is it out there in Japan? I want to visit sometime in the coming years.

I love Japan, there are a lot of myths that the American Media has placed on this country.

Myth 1: They have more advance technology and cellphones
    Truth: The cellphones may be from Japanese companies but most are American engineers. The newest generation phones are sent to American then released in Japan a few months later. They are about 5-10 years behind the US technology wise they just implement the technology in very innovative way.

Myth 2: They believe their cars are faster or superior.
    Truth: They LOVE American cars and they often pay 3 times the value for them.

Everyone is very polite and they try to emulate 1950's America with their habits and mannerisms. My wife and I try and experience as much as possible here but there are still things you miss about the states. Cars, certain foods and the infinite convenience of American life.

Thanks for the welcome all.
    Degrees: