Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Pishof wrote: »
    Good information. This is my end of term month and I still have the last task for LET1 to complete and turn in.

I've been working non-stop and it's been taking a toll on my time but I'm going to hopefully be submitting it Saturday and hoping it goes through in time.

I should be finishing up this month on all these projects so when the new term starts I'll be on a normal schedule with time to study again.

Now to pay the 3k out of pocket for this upcoming term. icon_sad.gif

Inquiry with WGU about the SMART Grant. I got $3,100 in Pell grants and $2,000 for a SMART Grant last term. Basically I got paid $2,000 from the Feds to go to school.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    if any one still has to take the 70-642 and wants mp3s of all the labsim videos let me know i ripped all the r2 labsim videos to mp3 for my long commute

edit: its about 800 meg for it all or i can zip up sections if ya just want a area or 2
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am thinking about adding BOV1 to my term. uCertify has a sale right now. I was wondering if I should pick up one for this exam or is the supplied material sufficient?

(Programming is not my strongest area)
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I am thinking about adding BOV1 to my term. uCertify has a sale right now. I was wondering if I should pick up one for this exam or is the supplied material sufficient?

(Programming is not my strongest area)

See if WGU will let you get the uCertify exam for free....WGU and uCertify are partners now.

If this is not the case, then do yourself a favor and get it. Programming isn't my strongest area either and the uCertify did help me for the 435. If there's a 635 for it (and looks like there is) I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Prometric is **** me off. I didn't pass 70-680 on monday but on the prometric page it still says "pending" under exam status so it's not letting me register for it again. They're looking into it, but I really wanted to take it again this monday.
  • Options
    ArbanakArbanak Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am about to begin the MSISA program. I am considering investing in a tablet for use in my studies, especially since I have read that there is a lot of ebook reading at WGU. I am torn between the iPad and a Honeycomb tablet (probably an Asus Transformer). Are there any reasons specific to being a student at WGU why I should pick one over the other? Or are the materials I'll be using so PC-centric that I shouldn't really bother with a tablet?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Arbanak wrote: »
    I am about to begin the MSISA program. I am considering investing in a tablet for use in my studies, especially since I have read that there is a lot of ebook reading at WGU. I am torn between the iPad and a Honeycomb tablet (probably an Asus Transformer). Are there any reasons specific to being a student at WGU why I should pick one over the other? Or are the materials I'll be using so PC-centric that I shouldn't really bother with a tablet?

If you already have a desktop or laptop and can afford an E-reader/tablet to supplement the other PC, I'd say it's worth considering. Yes, you'll want something that runs Windows for test prep materials but I doubt you'd need Windows all the time.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Newegg.com - ASUS Eee Pad (Eee Slate) EP121-1A010M Tablet PC Intel Core i5 470UM(1.33GHz) 12.1" Wide SVGA 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 64GB SSD HDD Intel HD Graphics

It may be expensive but its about the same size as a IPad but it's a fully blown computer. I want one soooo bad.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    they need to have a system if they know your gonna go ahead and go next term you can keep going with out this "dead" month

There is no more "dead" month. You can deal with all of your assignments up until the 25th of your last month of the term.

This change was done sometime in the last year, but it was significant, because I was able to do the 640 a couple of weeks before the start of my new term.....I'm still 100% SAP for my last terms.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    There is no more "dead" month. You can deal with all of your assignments up until the 25th of your last month of the term.

This change was done sometime in the last year, but it was significant, because I was able to do the 640 a couple of weeks before the start of my new term.....I'm still 100% SAP for my last terms.

my mentor couldnt add in a class for me 3 days ago because it was after the 15th of my last mth
  • Options
    You can't add classes but you have time to finish them.

BTW On another subject... Pertaining to prorating your term if your graduate early. It only applies IF the term was less than 12 CU. And the refund will be based on the amount of CU's. For me, I have 2.5 months left of my term but I did 32 CU so I will not get a refund. If I only did 4 I would get 2/3rd back.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Damn. My last term is going to be just tech writing and capstone, which is 13 CUs. So even if I finish them both in like 1 or 2 months, it's still going to cost $3k? That sucks.
  • Options
    sheckler wrote: »
    Damn. My last term is going to be just tech writing and capstone, which is 13 CUs. So even if I finish them both in like 1 or 2 months, it's still going to cost $3k? That sucks.

Well if it's only a month they can extend your current term. If it goes onto 2-3 months they won't. Start writing Cap/tech now. It can easily be done while you work on other things. ERP/N2l and I all have written are tech papers in less than 3 weeks.
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Well if it's only a month they can extend your current term. If it goes onto 2-3 months they won't. Start writing Cap/tech now. It can easily be done while you work on other things. ERP/N2l and I all have written are tech papers in less than 3 weeks.

Finally got my TWA1 evaluated tonight. Took over 5 days but came back as outstanding with a 3.89 out of 4. I'm about finished with the capstone but was waiting for the tech paper before I wrote the deliverables. No sense in backtracking in case I had to modify the TWA.
    Anyway, the CPW4 will be finished by Sunday eve or Monday morning. The light at the end of the tunnel is blinding me now. One more class, CCNA-Security, and then I'm a graduate.icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    You can't add classes but you have time to finish them.

BTW On another subject... Pertaining to prorating your term if your graduate early. It only applies IF the term was less than 12 CU. And the refund will be based on the amount of CU's. For me, I have 2.5 months left of my term but I did 32 CU so I will not get a refund. If I only did 4 I would get 2/3rd back.

This is not what my mentor told me when I asked about the refund. I read that if you finish a term before it's 60% complete there was a refund, but that info was for someone withdrawing the university.

From the student handbook:

Students with a withdrawal date that occurs up through the completion of 60% of a term are eligible for a refund of a prorated portion of the tuition and library fee. Students with a withdrawal date that occurs after 60% of the term has been completed are not eligible for a refund.

Seems to me that if this refund is available to a student that quits, it should also stand for a student that graduates.
  • Options
    never2late wrote: »
    Seems to me that if this refund is available to a student that quits, it should also stand for a student that graduates.

I think folks ought to be glad there's any kind of refund available. Most schools don't have those kinds of policies. I did my AS with Excelsior (completing the degree largely via CLEP/DSST exams), and I don't recall there being much in terms of refund available.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    I think folks ought to be glad there's any kind of refund available. Most schools don't have those kinds of policies. I did my AS with Excelsior (completing the degree largely via CLEP/DSST exams), and I don't recall there being much in terms of refund available.

The school that I graduated from with AAS is well-known in the north eastern region, and they allow students to get a full refund within their first week. We start classes on Monday, and we have until Sunday evening to drop all our classes via online. Even though the institute isn't open until the next day, they would see that we officially dropped all our classes (without withdrawal penalty), and we would be entitled to a full refund since we won't be able to register again after the first Sunday. Each week after the first week will have different rate. 2nd week: 70% refund, 3rd week: 60% refund, 4th week: 50% refund, 5th week: 25%. 6 weeks and after, too f**king bad since they give student plenty of time to withdraw until the last day of 8th week on the 11-week schedule term. They're going to switch to semester soon, so I dunno how that's gonna work.
  • Options
    never2late wrote: »
    Finally got my TWA1 evaluated tonight. Took over 5 days but came back as outstanding with a 3.89 out of 4. I'm about finished with the capstone but was waiting for the tech paper before I wrote the deliverables. No sense in backtracking in case I had to modify the TWA.
    Anyway, the CPW4 will be finished by Sunday eve or Monday morning. The light at the end of the tunnel is blinding me now. One more class, CCNA-Security, and then I'm a graduate.icon_cheers.gif

Congrats. I'm going day 4 waiting on my capstone. Hopefully within the next 24 hours I'll have an answer. CCNA Security is easy.
  • Options
    I believe almost everyone from this forum should join, if you feel identified with the page!!!icon_rolleyes.gif

TaskStream Stalkers Anonymous

Lately, I don't really stalk Taskstream as much as I become an obsessive WGU E-mail checker. I figure I'll get a note from Taskstream one way or the other, so I end up watching for that note.

Right now, I have my Task 2 items for GTT1 pending. Hope those clear soon. . .
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Lately, I don't really stalk Taskstream as much as I become an obsessive WGU E-mail checker. I figure I'll get a note from Taskstream one way or the other, so I end up watching for that note.

Right now, I have my Task 2 items for GTT1 pending. Hope those clear soon. . .

ya can have the wgu email fwd to the one ya really check
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ya can have the wgu email fwd to the one ya really check

This is what I'm doing. It forwards it to my work e-mail, that way I can check it on my Blackberry. Works great, and my mentor is use to getting my work e-mail address as the sender. It also helps since Gmail is blocked at work.
  • Options
    I just passed capstone!!!!!!!!!! 4/4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow i am happy!
  • Options

Congratulations! 4/4 is awesome. You're now officially a graduate.
    Great job!
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Congrats magicone!
    WGU grad
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Congratulations!!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Couldn't of done it without every ones support and help. Good luck to those just starting and who are almost there.

Down to you N2L and ERP. Who's buying the round?
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

Congrats! Now that you got a degree, you should be rewarded with a job soon. Good luck on your journey. So what's your next plan?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Couldn't of done it without every ones support and help. Good luck to those just starting and who are almost there.

Congratulations!! I just completed Project Deliverables......

Much of my paper needs tweaking, but I believe the latest I will hand in my paper will be Tuesday......Wednesday for sure. It has been extremely difficult for me to finish my paper as quickly as I would have liked, but I'm on target for end of the month at the latest.

I know for sure that it'll be me buying that round.....but put it this way....the fact that I get to buy that first round will bring tears and a smile to my face. :) I just want to be a WGU graduate.
  • Options

congrats

will we see ya come feb?
  • Options

Just uploaded my Capstone plus deliverables to TaskStream. Now its wait and wait and wait. Will start my last class Wednesday. Erp, I know your there. Keep going and if I go to graduation, I'll buy each of you a drink just because .... well, I like to drink.
    Gin martini, shaken. icon_lol.gif