Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'm not that far from Nanuet...that's the GSP to NYT for me....many, many moons ago I used to go to this club in that area called Facades. (The Ramapo chapter of my fraternity hosted parties there....fun times). I also worked in Greenwich, CT and I sometimes would take the TZ route when I didn't want to take route 95 (GWB).

I'm close to Jersey City for right now.

It's funny...I'm trying to relocate to Austin myself....I know you're here because of work, because if you chose to come here I'd be asking "why?" I need to get my financial affairs in order before I make that leap though.

I don't think I have ever stayed in one spot longer than 4 or 5 years (not even as a kid). I was in Austin 4 years before my boss asked me if I would take a big pay raise to move near NYC. It wasn't a tough decision. Nanuet does feel like a retirement town. It is like 85% elderly and I see very few people in the 20's - 30's age range. However, I still jumped at the chance when they asked to add 3 years onto the 1.5 year contract out here. I will have a Masters completed by the time I return (I moved out here with no degree).

If you do end up moving to Austin and need employment, the Technisource office there is great. I would still be a security guard if it wasn't for them, lol. I know most of the staff so I could get you set up with one of them if you ever need.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Project+ tomorrow. I read the Sybex book twice and ran through all of the uCertify "Exam Essentials" & chapter tests. My scores on uCertify are hitting at a pretty wide range between 750 - 850+. I am confident with the terms and formulas though so I think I will do fine tomorrow.

My term ends 11/30. I told my mentor that I want to add BOTH ORC1 and MGC1 after I pass Project+. He just wanted me to do one at a time because the end of term is getting close but I was able to talk him into giving me both so I could take them back to back without delay. I expect to finish those in 2 weeks max but shooting for next weekend (Sat & Sun exams). Any study tips for knocking these out fast? I don't want to underestimate these just b/c cutoff is so low. I was thinking about just hitting the chapter reviews for each book and reviewing any that I score less than 75% on. What do you all think?

I can't wait for the next conversation when I tell him I want to do INC1 & INT1 before end of term...

For INT1 tasks 1 & 2, I already selected topics. I have also planned my science project and know that it will take me 1 week to execute plus a couple of days before and after for my report. Since my mentor will probably freak out when I ask for both courses, I may just request INT1 first until I submit all of the tasks. I would still be able to study for INC1 during that time. I have the Biology book (a slightly newer edition) and I ordered the main book on Half.com for $25.

My goal is to have all of this completed by the end of October. I will use November to prepare for 70-640 and possibly work on papers for QLT1, IWT1 & LAT1 and start term 2 off pretty strong.

I would start INT1 now....it's not difficult, but it is just the biggest PITA. ORC1/MGC1 really did not require any "study" on our part....if you can do well in the pre-assessment, you'll do well in the exams. The time you spend on prepping for ORC1/MGC1 may be better spent on prepping for INC1. From what folks say, it's not a cute exam, though I thank the Creator everyday that I had passed a chemistry course....(non-lab, so I had to take INT1...)

The one formula that I got tested on for TPV1 a lot was the easiest one to memorize (lines of communication)....YMMV, but the lines of communication that was stressed in in the TPV1 will no doubt be seen tomorrow.

I can't see your mentor not enrolling you in those courses though....if you were to enroll now, you'd have two full months (just about) to complete your enrolled courses. Remember, you're nowhere near deadtime now if you want to enroll in those courses.

I don't think I have ever stayed in one spot longer than 4 or 5 years (not even as a kid). I was in Austin 4 years before my boss asked me if I would take a big pay raise to move near NYC. It wasn't a tough decision. Nanuet does feel like a retirement town. It is like 85% elderly and I see very few people in the 20's - 30's age range. However, I still jumped at the chance when they asked to add 3 years onto the 1.5 year contract out here. I will have a Masters completed by the time I return (I moved out here with no degree).

If you do end up moving to Austin and need employment, the Technisource office there is great. I would still be a security guard if it wasn't for them, lol. I know most of the staff so I could get you set up with one of them if you ever need.

I will consider that option, and thanks for that. Texas is a large PeopleSoft shop though (whether it's through the state or college system), so I'm hoping that if I ever start looking, I'd score some sweet phone interviews. My top two choices for TX is Austin, followed by the very distant second of San Antone (I like SA....riverwalk is a blast and wifey would be very comfortable though Austin is more my scene...). I've also been to Houston and Galveston. Houston reminded me too much of home (in all respects....) though I had to see Enron....(had to....)

Sounds like you not only scored a sweet gig, but you are a valued employee. If your work is in NYC, Nanuet is awfully far enough away from there....and that's with 287 and all that. You'd have been better off on the Jersey side. (Cheaper....though not by much but more than enough :) )
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    sheckler wrote: »
    So what format did you use to turn in tech writing/capstone? I know previous taskstream classes asked for .rtf, but tech writing doesn't specify.

I seem to recall WGU saying someplace that the .DOC format was the standard for papers. You can use whatever suite suits your fancy (MS Office, OpenOffice, Ability, et al), but the resulting documents should be Microsoft Office format for any assignments. I was using OpenOffice but found it was getting sloppy with the formatting-- I would have to clean up in some other program before handing it in.
    I wish graduation was in a more-fun city than Atlanta. NYC or San Fran would have been cool.

My guess is that Atlanta is convention-friendly and probably not as costly as some of the other cities for hosting events like this. With the economy in the doldrums, less-popular spots like Atlanta will likely bend over backwards to offer good pricing on hotels and such.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I would start INT1 now....it's not difficult, but it is just the biggest PITA. ORC1/MGC1 really did not require any "study" on our part....if you can do well in the pre-assessment, you'll do well in the exams. The time you spend on prepping for ORC1/MGC1 may be better spent on prepping for INC1. From what folks say, it's not a cute exam, though I thank the Creator everyday that I had passed a chemistry course....(non-lab, so I had to take INT1...)

Just took the ORC1 pre-assessment. Passed but only with 62%. Fortunately it was only in 3 competencies. Two were at 50% and the other was 25% so I will read over that stuff before the test. I will probably take the MGC1 pre-assessment after lunch today. Hopefully I can get a higher score on that one.

Sounds like you not only scored a sweet gig, but you are a valued employee. If your work is in NYC, Nanuet is awfully far enough away from there....and that's with 287 and all that. You'd have been better off on the Jersey side. (Cheaper....though not by much but more than enough icon_smile.gif )

Not working in NYC, my office is just a couple miles from the home so the commute is pretty nice :)

EDIT: Just finished MGC1 with 68%. I felt a lot more comfortable with that exam, still need to highlight a couple areas before the exam but I think I can finish both in a week.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Did anyone else make a gantt chart for your graduation projections? (Yeah, I'm a nerd, but I've accepted that already)

I found it to be a good use of the free MS Project 2010 license we get from MSDN:AA. I have set up all remaining classes with finish-to-start dependencies. For the duration, I put in estimates (# of weeks) I expect to spend on the class. As I enter actual complete dates for courses, my projected graduation date will automatically adjust.

Tip: Use "##ew" format [elapsed weeks], i.e. "5ew" for "5 weeks". This will prevent weekends from being skipped or "work hours" being calculated when using the default calendar.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Did anyone else make a gantt chart for your graduation projections? (Yeah, I'm a nerd, but I've accepted that already)

Even worse, you're one of those "project management" types. Ewwww!!! :D
    I found it to be a good use of the free MS Project 2010 license we get from MSDN:AA. [/I]

Good practice maybe, but for something that "light" I'd almost rather use TurboProject or some open-source tool.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I didn't pass these assessments with 100%...I was right at the cut score, but I didn't blow it out of the park either.

Don't stress yourself out for those particular exams. Getting 100% is the same as geting whatever the cutscore is. Yeah you want to be prepared, but it's really straightforward.
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Well, it has finally happened. I passed my CCNA-Security exam today and that was the final class before graduation. I am officially a college graduate.
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    Congratulations!
    never2late wrote: »
    Well, it has finally happened. I passed my CCNA-Security exam today and that was the final class before graduation. I am officially a college graduate.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed!

Overall, I loved my experience with WGU. More than anything, I am pleased I was able to meet my financial and personal goal of completing the degree in a year and half.

Great way to start my week!

Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

and Congratulations to you as well! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options

You da man!!! CONGRATS!!
  • Options
    You da man!!! CONGRATS!!

Thanks. The support from you, veritas, magicone, and other TE members really help me along the path. I'm proud for pushing myself towards this accomplishment.

I am the third person in my family to get a college diploma, following my brother and sister. I just wish my dad was still around to see it. He never got farther than the eighth grade but he provided a stable environment that gave us the opportunity to excel. I might have waited a little longer than most but never the less I made it.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

I know I am a few hours late, but congrats on your graduation!
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks. The support from you, veritas, magicone, and other TE members really help me along the path. I'm proud for pushing myself towards this accomplishment.

I am the third person in my family to get a college diploma, following my brother and sister. I just wish my dad was still around to see it. He never got farther than the eighth grade but he provided a stable environment that gave us the opportunity to excel. I might have waited a little longer than most but never the less I made it.

Congratulations on the accomplishment. I am nearing the end myself, and I am anticipating the satisfaction of having completed the journey. I'm seriously considering continuing straight into a Master's program, but I haven't decided where yet. Any plans on doing the same, or are you taking a break for a while?
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

So what are your thoughts on the IT Security program?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    So what are your thoughts on the IT Security program?

Overall a positive experience. Liked to have seen more technical classes, especially to replace some of the CIW classes. Did not like the JAVA, felt it was a poorly designed and executed class. All in all, I am glad I chose this area as my major.
  • Options
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the accomplishment. I am nearing the end myself, and I am anticipating the satisfaction of having completed the journey. I'm seriously considering continuing straight into a Master's program, but I haven't decided where yet. Any plans on doing the same, or are you taking a break for a while?

No plans yet. Not pursuing a Masters degree though. Leaning towards computer forensics field. Any suggestions for study materials\certs that may help following this path?
  • Options
    No plans yet. Not pursuing a Masters degree though. Leaning towards computer forensics field. Any suggestions for study materials\certs that may help following this path?

Only suggestion I can think of is to read JDMurray's blogs on here. That and start looking for entry-mid level jobs with police departments and such. No better way to break in that field than experience... :)
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Congrats
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Excellent1 wrote: »

I am almost done to and plan on going for my master's, but I think I am going to take a break. I don't want to take too much of a break though because if I get out of study mode it may hard to get back. I don't plan to take my master's at WGU though.

Congrats to the graduates!
    WGU grad
  • Options
    I am almost done to and plan on going for my master's, but I think I am going to take a break. I don't want to take too much of a break though because if I get out of study mode it may hard to get back. I don't plan to take my master's at WGU though.

If things work out the way I want, I will probably get a break for a few months. I already applied to one graduate program in anticipation of being done before the end of the year (I can't stress this enough...you do not have to wait until the degree is conferred (earned) if you are sure you will finish). Assuming there are no problems, I would officially start in the fall, but I will check to see if I can take courses during the summer months.

In the interim, I might work on getting SQL Server certs.
  • Options
    Just passed Project+ with an 827/900. Hopefully my mentor will add MGC1 and ORC1 to my AAV this weekend so I can get those scheduled for next weekend. I really wish web-proctor scheduling only required 3 days advance notice...

I started working on INT1 and I should have tasks 1 & 2 "completed" this weekend. I really wont know how complete they are until I get that course added to my AAV so I can actually see the scoring rubric. For the Task 1 examples, do you need a full slide / paragraph dedicated to each or just in bullet form with 1 or 2 sentences?

(BTW, if someone who has this course in TaskStream could send me the rubrics for Task 1 & 2, I would be in your debt)
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Just passed Project+ with an 827/900. Hopefully my mentor will add MGC1 and ORC1 to my AAV this weekend so I can get those scheduled for next weekend. I really wish web-proctor scheduling only required 3 days advance notice...

I started working on INT1 and I should have tasks 1 & 2 "completed" this weekend. I really wont know how complete they are until I get that course added to my AAV so I can actually see the scoring rubric. For the Task 1 examples, do you need a full slide / paragraph dedicated to each or just in bullet form with 1 or 2 sentences?

(BTW, if someone who has this course in TaskStream could send me the rubrics for Task 1 & 2, I would be in your debt)

Congrats on that pass....had money that you would break 800...lol.

PM me your email address....I'll shoot the INT1 stuff over to you.
  • Options
    Congrats on that pass....had money that you would break 800...lol.

PM me your email address....I'll shoot the INT1 stuff over to you.

Thanks! PM sent.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Submitted the task for HHT1 ( Finite Math Applications) got it back yesterday afternoon with some requested revisions. Made the changes and resubmitted 30 minutes later. Now 24 hours later and it hasn't been touched. I realize they have 5 days but I still want them to HURRY UP!!!!!! :p
  • Options
    cshkuru wrote: »
    Submitted the task for HHT1 ( Finite Math Applications) got it back yesterday afternoon with some requested revisions. Made the changes and resubmitted 30 minutes later. Now 24 hours later and it hasn't been touched. I realize they have 5 days but I still want them to HURRY UP!!!!!! :p

Not 5 days....5 business days. Today and tomorrow don't count.

Yes, I have gotten stuff back on a Saturday/Sunday...but it's not required.

I'm waiting until Thursday for getting Capstone back....then it's just MS exams from here on out....

I know it sucks, but be patient, man. Do something fun and relaxing....

I was literally working all day doing a point upgrade for my ERP application. Thing had to be applied in all tiers....we're talking 13 servers.....and not to mention testing them individually......it sucks. But I get paid to do it so I don't cry too much.......and it beats waiting for TS. :)
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Turned in tech writing, now to pray that it passes on the first try. If it needs a revision there probably won't be enough time for it to be graded again before the end of the term.
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, finally done with all the management/project classes, just passed Project+ this weekend. Going to try and finish 70-642 up by October 5th, bust out SSC/SST and IWC/INT to finish up my term.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    Capstone is done! 3.92/4.00

I can now fully concentrate on my MS exams.

As promised, I'm buying my tickets to Atlanta sometime today.

Awww yeah!! What a splendid way to start the day.