Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Congrats, man... way to go!!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Excellent1: Congratulations! What next?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree on every point.

Certs are academically irrelevant unless you are getting credit for them from a program like WGU, Excelsior College, etc.

I worked my way into IT by first getting a job in the foreign language lab in college helping students with the language software for 1.5 years (Mac and PCs). After college I worked in a warehouse stocking shelves and talked them into cross-training me on everything... which lead to learning to batch process orders on and AIX system and supporting Lotus Notes running in a NetWare environment. From there got a job building PCs for Compaq as a temp through ManPower. Wtih all that experience I was able to get a sweet desktop support job for a Fortune 500 company, which really started my career. No certs and no degree yet. Certs came later, then the degree. The best way to break into the IT world is by hard work and looking for opportunities everywhere.

Yea, man... CNE in NetWare 4. Ahh, the good ole days.

I worked with Netware 3.12, became CNE in Netware 5 and 6. Yup the good old days :)
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Excellent1, nicely done! Just about to finish my second term with 1 more planned. The end is in sight for me as well. Congrats on your success!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    That's just inspiration to hurry my butt up
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks all for the congrats and well wishes. I plan on pursuing a Master at some point--I'm still debating when and where. I want to make sure I'm doing it for the right reasons and that it makes sense for where I'm at in my career.

It's almost a little surreal being done. I'm so used to starting the next class when I finish the previous one that I feel a little bit guilty for not diving into the next one. Still, I've been working on ROUTE in my "free" time, so I think I'll keep pursuing that until I decide definitively on the next move academically.

Nothing like a relaxing read on manipulating eigrp k values to help you rest after a day's work. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the congrats and well wishes. I plan on pursuing a Master at some point--I'm still debating when and where. I want to make sure I'm doing it for the right reasons and that it makes sense for where I'm at in my career.

It's almost a little surreal being done. I'm so used to starting the next class when I finish the previous one that I feel a little bit guilty for not diving into the next one. Still, I've been working on ROUTE in my "free" time, so I think I'll keep pursuing that until I decide definitively on the next move academically.

Nothing like a relaxing read on manipulating eigrp k values to help you rest after a day's work. icon_lol.gif

Gotta love k values. Poorly documented and not understood well by many people. Knowing precisely what delay value to use to accomplish a given objective is a borderline art form.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Capstone graded, 4.0/4.0, I'm done. 133 CU's in 17 months (last month of my 3rd term wasn't needed), while working full time. As many others have said and shown here, it can be done.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences in this thread and on this site. It's a huge help to compare strategies and ideas for tackling the various courses and I've definitely benefited from the different perspectives shared here.

Glad to be done, still deciding what comes next. Good luck to all of you.

Congrats!
  • Options
    ben503jben503j Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am trying to get enrolled there. But they said I need at least an A+ Certification to get enrolled. And that is what brought me here!
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ben503j wrote: »
    I am trying to get enrolled there. But they said I need at least an A+ Certification to get enrolled. And that is what brought me here!

I don't think you necessarily "need" a certification. Any documented IT experience should do, I'd revisit that with an enrollment counselor.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    IWC1 done! Thank goodness. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Capstone graded, 4.0/4.0, I'm done. 133 CU's in 17 months (last month of my 3rd term wasn't needed), while working full time. As many others have said and shown here, it can be done.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences in this thread and on this site. It's a huge help to compare strategies and ideas for tackling the various courses and I've definitely benefited from the different perspectives shared here.

I would bow down and kiss your ring, Your Excellency, but I would be too afraid of myself smacking me around hard for doing such things. LOL.

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELL DONE!!!!!!!! Welcome to the club. I will toast to your honor while I hit the Buckhead scene in Hotlanta (and to the rest of the TE-WGU family :) )

EDIT: For what's it worth....you have officially earned your name! :D
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490

Congrats!! I know it has to feel good!!icon_king.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options

This is from the WGU site:

Special requirements for WGU’s IT programs

Demonstrate IT experience either through:
    An associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable).
    High-level IT coursework completed within the last five years:
    Two or more upper-level Networking courses OR
    Two or more upper-level Object-Oriented Programming courses (Java, C#, etc.) OR
    One or more upper-level Operating Systems course OR
    One or more upper-level Information Security and Assurance course
    Transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years.
    A resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience.
  • Options

Welcome to TE!

Have you worked IT before? If not then you will need at least the A+ or an AA or AAS in IT, etc.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Welcome to TE!

Have you worked IT before? If not then you will need at least the A+ or an AA or AAS in IT, etc.

I thought any ol' cert would do. :)

Getting a small number of certs not only qualifies you for enrollment, but saves you having to complete competencies. A+, MCTS, . . . I can imagine a few others would be acceptable, unless they've specified A+ only.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    I thought any ol' cert would do. :)

Getting a small number of certs not only qualifies you for enrollment, but saves you having to complete competencies. A+, MCTS, . . . I can imagine a few others would be acceptable, unless they've specified A+ only.

LOL, I was trying to make it easy and quick icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I know veritas asked this a few days ago, but has anyone finished WSV1 (CIW Web Development) recently? The material is so dry. I've been going through the study guide and watching the videos and also bought UCertify for it, but I am concerned that will be good enough. I thought MCMCSE was a good resource for some of the CIW exams but they have not been updated for this one. Without breaking NDA are there any tips out there?
    WGU grad
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    I know veritas asked this a few days ago, but has anyone finished WSV1 (CIW Web Development) recently? The material is so dry. I've been going through the study guide and watching the videos and also bought UCertify for it, but I am concerned that will be good enough. I thought MCMCSE was a good resource for some of the CIW exams but they have not been updated for this one. Without breaking NDA are there any tips out there?

I'm working on it right now. The tip I got from my mentor is to read the entire e-book, but only do the labs for chapters 1-17 and 30-34. If you want to be a web developer then maybe do them all. If not, those chapters will get you a pass on the exam. Good luck!
  • Options

uCertify did work for my Javascript exam, BUT I BARELY got out of that exam alive. However, in my defense, this particular testing center I went to was very noisy and I had to complain to the person who sat me down. Still, between uCertify and the study guide, I did eek out a pass....but I didn't put in 100%.

Reading any CIW text will guarantee a pass though. The only problem with that is that it's so much and dry. (Which was why uCertify was used.) CIW study guides and exams DO match up in content...that much I know. Unfortunately, if one were to depend on CIW, it's gonna depend on how much time you want to dedicate to study to pass that one exam.
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    I just got my diploma today. For you guys with the emphasis, does it say that on your diploma?

Mine just said Bachelor of Science Information Technology.
  • Options
    usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    I am currently going through the enrollment process and i am looking to start classes on March 1st. I have decided to go for the general BS Information Technology.

Currently i have an A+ that should transfer and maybe some general college courses.

Anyway i have spent the last few weeks reading all of the posts and i appreciate everyone sharing story.
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    usagent27 wrote: »
    I am currently going through the enrollment process and i am looking to start classes on March 1st. I have decided to go for the general BS Information Technology.

Currently i have an A+ that should transfer and maybe some general college courses.

Anyway i have spent the last few weeks reading all of the posts and i appreciate everyone sharing story.

Welcome to the forum. Most, if not all of your questions will be answered in the rather large thread we have here. If not, don't hesitate to ask!
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum. Most, if not all of your questions will be answered in the rather large thread we have here. If not, don't hesitate to ask!

You know, I think maybe we should start writing a FAQ, and have Veritas put that in the first post of both stickies. This would probably help out the novice a good lot.
  • Options
    simtech wrote: »
    I just got my diploma today. For you guys with the emphasis, does it say that on your diploma?

Mine just says Bachelor of Science -- Information Technology

BTW, congratulations!! I think you are the first of my referrals to have finished!! Well done!!
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You know, I think maybe we should start writing a FAQ, and have Veritas put that in the first post of both stickies. This would probably help out the novice a good lot.

Agreed. It would be beneficial to have FAQs about the actual courses: hints, tips, tricks to succeed. BTW: my mentor said that they are getting rid of LabSim for the Cisco courses and moving to something else. I am very curious as to what. Apparently the course mentors are concerned about students "relying on LabSim too much for the exam"
  • Options
    simtech wrote: »

Congrats! Hoping to be in the same boat in about a year.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »

i want to get a head start.

What books should i use for the Project +, Security +, and CIW (WF1) i figure that while i'm waiting i can study and then just bang those out.

also whats the name of the book for LAE1?

Thanks!
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    usagent27 wrote: »
    i want to get a head start.

What books should i use for the Project +, Security +, and CIW (WF1) i figure that while i'm waiting i can study and then just bang those out.

also whats the name of the book for LAE1?

Thanks!

I used Darril Gibson's book for Security+ (Note: make sure you get the 2012 version, I believe the 2008 Sec+ Test ended 1/1/12)
    But I just read the book and did a few practice test, was able to answer about 90% of 2 tests, took the exam and passed.
    X
  • Options
    cvuong1984 wrote: »
    I used Darril Gibson's book for Security+ (Note: make sure you get the 2012 version, I believe the 2008 Sec+ Test ended 1/1/12)
    But I just read the book and did a few practice test, was able to answer about 90% of 2 tests, took the exam and passed.

great thank you. i just ordered this book
    Completed in one term