Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    gshoemakergshoemaker Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to stop back in as I have not posted since becoming an actual student. Things are going well with the exception of some assessment scheduling difficulties. I have taken the last 3 utilizing the webcam and I must say it is very convenient. Once I finish my current courses I am contemplating taking CSV1. Does anyone have any study advice/suggestions for this course?

Thanks in advance!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred|Required|In Progress|Completed|Started: 03/12
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 AXV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 INC1 INT1 BVC1 CPV1 CTV1 (37 CUs)
    LUT1 QBT1 CUV1 BOV1 CSV1 COV1 CQV1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1 (59 CUs)
    RIT1 BNC1 DHV1 DFV1 (12 CUs)
    CLC1 GAC1 HHT1 MGC1 WFV1 (14 CUs)
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Hey guys,

For those of you who have done INT1, what did you do for task 3, the actual experiment? I'm somewhat at a brain lock. Any help would be awesomely appreciated.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Hey guys,

For those of you who have done INT1, what did you do for task 3, the actual experiment? I'm somewhat at a brain lock. Any help would be awesomely appreciated.

I saw a recommendation on paper airplanes, so I did mine on whether the amount of folds on the paper would increase flight distance. I wanted to make sure it was something that could be done quickly, without relying on something to "grow", etc.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    I saw a recommendation on paper airplanes, so I did mine on whether the amount of folds on the paper would increase flight distance. I wanted to make sure it was something that could be done quickly, without relying on something to "grow", etc.

How did you show a constant as far as force applied to throwing the airplane?

WGU -

• Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did a review of competing brands batteries by measuring the light output over time. Now if I could only finish task one.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    I did a review of competing brands batteries by measuring the light output over time. Now if I could only finish task one.
    For Task 1 I did evolution and some findings that supported it. This of course changed the scientific understanding of what once was thought of as how we came to be.

WGU -

• Options
    How did you show a constant as far as force applied to throwing the airplane?

Replied to your PM before noticing this. I created my own paper airplane launcher and although it's not "exact" with the launch speed, it's a lot more consistent than simply throwing them by hand and the course mentors agreed.

I can't seem to find the video I first saw which showed the design of it, but basically take a long, rectangular piece of cardboard and fold it in half so there's a groove to fit the bottom of the plane in. Then staple or tape a cut rubber band that's put in place at the rear of the piece of cardboard so you pull the paper airplane back with the rubber band using the groove as a guide, then launch it. I just mentioned what size rubber band I used and measured the distance pulled back so the launches would be similar.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    Replied to your PM before noticing this. I created my own paper airplane launcher and although it's not "exact" with the launch speed, it's a lot more consistent than simply throwing them by hand and the course mentors agreed.

I can't seem to find the video I first saw which showed the design of it, but basically take a long, rectangular piece of cardboard and fold it in half so there's a groove to fit the bottom of the plane in. Then staple or tape a cut rubber band that's put in place at the rear of the piece of cardboard so you pull the paper airplane back with the rubber band using the groove as a guide, then launch it. I just mentioned what size rubber band I used and measured the distance pulled back so the launches would be similar.
    Thanks! I replied with some Rep. :)

WGU -

• Options
    Thanks! I replied with some Rep. :)

No problem, good luck with the task.
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    Does anyone else here have Jacqueline Jezek for mentor? How do you find her?
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

Honestly, any grade school science project will be fine. I ordered some petri dishes from Amazon and measured bacterial growth from varying water sources (tap, filtered tap, bottled, boiled).
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    phaneuf1 wrote: »
    Does anyone else here have Jacqueline Jezek for mentor? How do you find her?

I do, she's always responded promptly to my emails.
    Thanks, Tom

• Options
    Thanks for the responses!!

WGU -

• Options
    For Task 1 I did evolution and some findings that supported it. This of course changed the scientific understanding of what once was thought of as how we came to be.

I'm doing celestial mechanics and the discovery of x-rays. It's tough getting a decent level of detail in 8 to 10 slides. My first revision was 18 slides, I'm just trying to get it down to the recommended size and still have enough detail to satisfy.
    Thanks, Tom

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm doing celestial mechanics and the discovery of x-rays. It's tough getting a decent level of detail in 8 to 10 slides. My first revision was 18 slides, I'm just trying to get it down to the recommended size and still have enough detail to satisfy.

Having a similar issue. Being on call this week doesn't help, having a rough time trying to focus with the phone ringing. Really need to buckle down and get to it, INT1 shouldn't take very long and i'm in the home stretch.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Having a similar issue. Being on call this week doesn't help, having a rough time trying to focus with the phone ringing. Really need to buckle down and get to it, INT1 shouldn't take very long and i'm in the home stretch.

I did Task 1 Saturday, Task 2 Sunday. Both came back today finished. Don't over think these tasks. Just hit the requirements and move on.

*edit* I spent maybe 3 1/2 hours combined total between the two tasks.

WGU -

• Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I did E=MC^2 for Task 1 and how it lead to the development of the Atomic bomb. For the experiment I did the good 'ol paper towel bit.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    INT1: Task1--Genetics and the "Black Death [Plague]"
    Task2--very popular US ecosystem (there's quite a number of 'em)
    Experiment--Dissolution of Sugar

INT1 is more annoying than it is hard...
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    gshoemaker wrote: »
    I just wanted to stop back in as I have not posted since becoming an actual student. Things are going well with the exception of some assessment scheduling difficulties. I have taken the last 3 utilizing the webcam and I must say it is very convenient. Once I finish my current courses I am contemplating taking CSV1. Does anyone have any study advice/suggestions for this course?

Thanks in advance!

I just saw that no one has replied to you. I see that you are taking DFV1, let me tell you, that is no joke. I highly recommend putting that one off until after you take care of all of the rest of the web design/programming courses. I would also recommend taking DJV1 prior to all of those because it is designed as an overview to all of the programming classes. DJV1 is all about key word definitions, where DFV1 they expect you to have coding experience.

Now to answer your question, 70-680 is a tough exam. I passed with a 700, which is the minimum passing score. Even with as fast as I am going, I would think this test would take at least 3 weeks to be well prepared for. You could easily spend twice as long if you have never been in an enivorment deploying Win 7. Just being a power user is not enough. Most of that stuff isn't even covered on the exam. It's all about the admin side.

I had RIT1 transferred in, BNC1 I passed the pre-assessment with enough to not worry about it, DHV1 I got requirement satisfied since I transferred in the 70-680 cert. I have given my impressions on all of the courses I have taken so far in my thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/73130-wgu-challenge-finish-1-term.html. Maybe it will help.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Wow, I was REALLY over thinking Task 3. Agree with the poster above, it is more annoying than hard.

Again, thanks for the responses.icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    it may just be me but has any one else noticed that taskstream has gotten faster at grading
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    I do, she's always responded promptly to my emails.

Yes she is good
  • Options
    it may just be me but has any one else noticed that taskstream has gotten faster at grading

I would agree. As I said earlier, for INT1, I submitted Task 1 on Saturday and Task 2 on Sunday and received both back Monday. I submitted Task 3 last night so I think that one will be a true indicator.

WGU -

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would agree. As I said earlier, for INT1, I submitted Task 1 on Saturday and Task 2 on Sunday and received both back Monday. I submitted Task 3 last night so I think that one will be a true indicator.

I've gotten tasks back as early as a few hours. In fact, I would wake up to a task complete text message after I was done turning that in.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How long does it usually take to get a Taskstream Turnitin Originality Report? I have been waiting over 24 hours...is this normal?
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    coffeeluvr wrote: »
    How long does it usually take to get a Taskstream Turnitin Originality Report? I have been waiting over 24 hours...is this normal?

Both of my submissions were checked in less than 2 hours. Maybe they are backed up right now?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    These enrollment counselors.......I am glad they are only temporary. My guy is impossible to reach over the phone and when he tries to call me, doesn't call the number I give him. Instead, calling home.....where no one will answer.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    SteveLord wrote: »
    These enrollment counselors.......I am glad they are only temporary. My guy is impossible to reach over the phone and when he tries to call me, doesn't call the number I give him. Instead, calling home.....where no one will answer.

The Enrollment Counselors were my worst experience with WGU. Trust me it gets much better after you get done with them. You would think they would try to improve that since that is your first impression, but it doesn't sound any better then when I went through the process nearly 2 years ago.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

I remember hearing that WGU was moving their grading in-house. Maybe there are more WGU employees looking at the assignments now.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    The Enrollment Counselors were my worst experience with WGU. Trust me it gets much better after you get done with them. You would think they would try to improve that since that is your first impression, but it doesn't sound any better then when I went through the process nearly 2 years ago.

I'm pretty pissed about that stage right now. I had started the process long before I had even finished by BS (at another school) so I could start as soon as possible. My first counselor (Dan) said he could get me in for a March start, even though my degree wasn't conferred until Feb 17th and the deadline is the 15th. As long as everything was there by the 22nd he said... then suddenly I got notified that I have a new enrollment counselor. My new woman told me, no there is nothing we can do and you have to wait until April 1st. Fine... I knew that was the likely answer. I do everything, except this stupid intake interview... she says she needs to wait for everything to get to her, including transcripts from schools I did NOT graduate from and that had been transferred to the school I did graduation from.

She get's everything and sends me an email on Feb 29th asking when to schedule the interview, I told her I was in the middle of a military exercise (I'm a contractor) so the 5th of March or after is good. And then nothing, try calling but kept missing her (being on the other side of the world doesn't help). I sent her another email, and get a response today saying "Let's schedule for next week, we've missed the deadline for April so you'll have to start in May..."

I'm really pissed off right now, I told her I wanted to start as soon as possible as I had just finished my BS and didn't want to get out of the habit of doing coursework.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013