Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ NOLAJ No that is not the mentors initials.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    N2IT wrote: »
    The first course is Human Resources. I have gone through all the rubrics and feel comfortable with this course. Supply chain might be a little different :)

Assuming I go for their MBA, I may lobby to get Financial Analysis out of the way first as wife and kids plan to visit Grandmother for a few days this summer. I'm told that class is the hardest.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Assuming I go for their MBA, I may lobby to get Financial Analysis out of the way first as wife and kids plan to visit Grandmother for a few days this summer. I'm told that class is the hardest.

Yeah I can believe it, thankfully it's the class I am the most interested in.
  • Options
    First day after my AAV. I've been reading HR material for about 3 hours now. I am so glad I went through with this.

My first task could be completed now, but I want to make sure I read all chapters before responding.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Are his initials T.M.?

That's my mentor's initials. He had me banging my head against the wall at first but I quickly proved myself to him and he has turned out to be a pretty good mentor.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    INT1 finally finished. Really finding motivation hard right now. However I will finish this term no matter what. On to LAT1, going to try and knock out the first 3 tasks tonight. Have a long weekend with Friday off, hope to finish up LAT1 and LUT1 by Monday.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    That's my mentor's initials. He had me banging my head against the wall at first but I quickly proved myself to him and he has turned out to be a pretty good mentor.

I've had the exact same experience!! He's a great guy, and statistically the TOP mentor! Looking at your signature, we started at the exact same time!! Cool.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    I've had the exact same experience!! He's a great guy, and statistically the TOP mentor! Looking at your signature, we started at the exact same time!! Cool.

Awesome. I originally didn't think I would like him but I plan on requesting him when I eventually move on to the MSIT: InfoSec program. Although he needs to take a graphic design course, his newsletters need a facelift ;P
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Awesome. I originally didn't think I would like him but I plan on requesting him when I eventually move on to the MSIT: InfoSec program. Although he needs to take a graphic design course, his newsletters need a facelift ;P

LMAO, yeah those newsletters are brutal, graphic wise.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    banged out BNC1 now on to Security. Both exams are scheduled for Monday
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    bc901bc901 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone had issues with their mentor not being willing to take a cert? I'm nearing the end of my time at WGU (only have the Microsoft, JavaScript, and Caspstone to go) and my mentor is really trying to get me to slow down on the CIW JavaScript class. I feel like I'm ready and I think the test will be pretty straight forward based on what I've read on here.

Just wondering if I'm the only one that had a issue with this and if you guys had tips for handling it. I've talked with him about me wanting to finish sooner but he keeps holding off approving my request for a voucher. Should I look into getting a new mentor?
  • Options
    vsecgodvsecgod Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just re-enrolled back into WGU after taking a month break and noticed the learning resources for the Cisco exams are now through learnkey/onlineexpert. Before it was uCertify and Labsim. What are peoples thoughts on this? Was the latter better or worse then now?
  • Options
    bc901 wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with their mentor not being willing to take a cert? I'm nearing the end of my time at WGU (only have the Microsoft, JavaScript, and Caspstone to go) and my mentor is really trying to get me to slow down on the CIW JavaScript class. I feel like I'm ready and I think the test will be pretty straight forward based on what I've read on here.

Just wondering if I'm the only one that had a issue with this and if you guys had tips for handling it. I've talked with him about me wanting to finish sooner but he keeps holding off approving my request for a voucher. Should I look into getting a new mentor?

As long as you are scoring high enough on the practice tests you should be approved to take the cert. The Javascript one was pretty easy and the practice tests are just like the real exam. If the problem persists you could always go to student services. It would suck to have to deal with that so late in the game though.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

At this point, you are well within your rights to put your foot down (firmly and politely...but if politely isn't working, then be more firm) and get whatever stuff you need approved. From the sound of it, your mentor is just being a bit cautious, but if you feel you are ready make that known to him. Otherwise, contact Student Services. Do not let anyone impede your progress. Best advice I can give you on that.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    vsecgod wrote: »
    Just re-enrolled back into WGU after taking a month break and noticed the learning resources for the Cisco exams are now through learnkey/onlineexpert. Before it was uCertify and Labsim. What are peoples thoughts on this? Was the latter better or worse then now?

I enrolled in January and I have the LabSim/uCertify set. This must have changed since then. I'm honestly not going to touch either of these LRs. I'm using INE's free CCNA course and the Boson Ex-Sim Max practice tests. I also have Odom's and Lammle's books for reference.

From what I have seen of LearnKey from other classes, I'm happy to see the change. Do you know if there are two sets of videos? One for the 822 and one for the 816 or is it a combined 802?

One of my biggest gripes is that the LabSim through WGU is designed for the combined 802 exam and yet we have to take the separate 822 and 816 exams, which kinda negates the usefulness of not having to learn so much at once which was the reason why they started offering 2 exams.
  • Options

I would tell me mentor that I am ready and if he doesn't approve my request then I would contact Student Services. I thought I was going to have a problem with my mentor, but she seems to understand that I am going to finish in one term.
  • Options
    vsecgodvsecgod Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    swild wrote: »
    I enrolled in January and I have the LabSim/uCertify set. This must have changed since then. I'm honestly not going to touch either of these LRs. I'm using INE's free CCNA course and the Boson Ex-Sim Max practice tests. I also have Odom's and Lammle's books for reference.

From what I have seen of LearnKey from other classes, I'm happy to see the change. Do you know if there are two sets of videos? One for the 822 and one for the 816 or is it a combined 802?

One of my biggest gripes is that the LabSim through WGU is designed for the combined 802 exam and yet we have to take the separate 822 and 816 exams, which kinda negates the usefulness of not having to learn so much at once which was the reason why they started offering 2 exams.

I agree with you on the Labsim part. My last term before I went on break, I was subscribed to the Labsim/uCertify combo and I also didn't like the combined Labsim resource. uCertify was split but I felt it was really weak, most of it was practice tests and very little "teaching" on the CCNA topics. I ended up passing ICND1 using Lammle's book but now that I'm re-enrolled, they put me in with learnkey. I have yet to receive the access so I can't comment on the material.

I am curious though with you mentioning INE offering free CCNA? I just went on their site and it shows 99 bucks for the web learning one. Where did you get it free?

EDIT: oops nvm, noticed it's free streaming for CCNA Voice & Routing and Switching. The download is 99 bucks. This is a great deal thanks for the heads up. Hopefully this will be free till next month since this month I'm focusing on CISSP for work so I can't get distracted with anything else:/
  • Options
    vsecgod wrote: »
    I agree with you on the Labsim part. My last term before I went on break, I was subscribed to the Labsim/uCertify combo and I also didn't like the combined Labsim resource. uCertify was split but I felt it was really weak, most of it was practice tests and very little "teaching" on the CCNA topics. I ended up passing ICND1 using Lammle's book but now that I'm re-enrolled, they put me in with learnkey. I have yet to receive the access so I can't comment on the material.

I am curious though with you mentioning INE offering free CCNA? I just went on their site and it shows 99 bucks for the web learning one. Where did you get it free?

EDIT: oops nvm, noticed it's free streaming for CCNA Voice & Routing and Switching. The download is 99 bucks. This is a great deal thanks for the heads up. Hopefully this will be free till next month since this month I'm focusing on CISSP for work so I can't get distracted with anything else:/

pretty sure it's only this month, but according to my mentor, they have this kind of special fairly often. He said he has only seen CCNA and CCNA Voice being offered, which are both free for this month. They may do it again next month, cross your fingers.
  • Options

My mentor was a little hesitant to approve my javascript voucher with 1.5 months left in my term. All I had to do was assure her that I had previous coding experience and wasn't even remotely worried about the test. Knocked it out in a week of studying. You just have to be firm with them and let them know that you'll know when you're ready.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Hypntick wrote: »
    You just have to be firm with them and let them know that you'll know when you're ready.

Diplomatically so. Remember, there are WGU rules under which you can be booted for abusing staff. If there's an issue like readiness for testing, assert yourself politely then head to Student Services if you hit a wall.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Diplomatically so. Remember, there are WGU rules under which you can be booted for abusing staff. If there's an issue like readiness for testing, assert yourself politely then head to Student Services if you hit a wall.

That should be a given. I don't think anyone (including myself) would advise being an a--hole. At the same time, don't be a doormat either.

The only time I was ever annoyed at WGU, post-enrollment, was when I was trying to hunt down the tech writing course mentor. WGU was basically defending this guy, who was working part-time. I was like "look that's cool, but I just want to ask him a couple of questions and he hasn't gotten back to me in like two days." Things worked out well, and I got two WGU hoodies out of the deal. But I was always polite in my dealings.
  • Options
    Well the first assignment has been submitted for Human Resource. Hopefully they like it enough to allow me to continue on :)

I will say this, if you write slow like myself you will have a good ole time completing this degree :)
  • Options
    LAT1 sucks...that is all.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□

Yes, yes it does. I wasted an entire month on the course, basically procrastinating due to total lack of interest and dread of taking on all the writing. Once I started it, however, I completed the entire thing within 1 calendar week. If I hadn't wasted that month, I probably would have wound up with 80+ CU's for the first term instead of 72, but it all worked out in the end. Main thing is to just begin...it doesn't take that long once you get some momentum behind you on it. Good luck.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    and that is being nice

I just submitted task 1 towards the end I was dreading opening up Word.
  • Options

All I'm gonna say is that thanks to LAT1 (and Word 2007/2010), I can now comfortably write a paper with APA formatting. I didn't understand this APA nonsense at first, but it has come in clutch with my papers for grad school. Mind you, I don't use running heads, but apparently no one gives a darn.

LAT1 is definitely a pain, but once you survive it, you will have a blast with TWA1/CPW2.

Like His Excellency, I too wasted about a month. I normally can do a 10 page paper in my sleep and drunk...but LAT1 was just too particular, and the hardest part for me was finding a topic I wanted to write about (that had academic sources.) Use that e-brary and even Google books (for free...make sure your sources has enough pages you can use that wasn't truncated off...)

Yes, welcome to the I-hate-LAT1-club....lol. You'll go from pledge to brother in no time (when you pass LAT1. :) ) Just consider your time to be hell week [even if it's a bit longer than a week...]. LMAO.
  • Options
    Just submitted task 2, finished task 1 earlier. About 75% through with task 3. However i'm considering holding off on 4 and 5, just to verify that everything is good on the first three. Requested IWT1 to be open, I think I can work on that while i'm waiting on task stream to get back to me. It's either that or start on labsim for the 70-680, neither are particularly appealing to me right now. At this point I put off starting LAT1 by about 4 days, so apparently i'm ahead of the pack on that at least. I just want to be done already...
  • Options
    AHV1 is complete. I have about 6 weeks to complete QLT1 and AIV1. I think AIV1 will be easier for me since I am more familiar with networking than AD. QLT1 doesn't look too hard. I have already submitted my first task.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    AHV1 is complete. I have about 6 weeks to complete QLT1 and AIV1. I think AIV1 will be easier for me since I am more familiar with networking than AD. QLT1 doesn't look too hard. I have already submitted my first task.

For what it's worth, I was able to do all the QLT1 tasks prior to the last one without a course mentor. Mathlab was so instrumental in getting me up to speed. I also had QLC1 to do and I'm grateful that I did QLT1 first so that it made QLC1 easy enough to pass. With the last task, my Virgo tendencies prevented me from getting around one particular aspect of the task....it was something stupid. Once I asked a course mentor for guidance, I was able to submit it for a pass. I messed up on the wording though, and the grader took points off for it (I was so mad...) however, I had a enough support on the point for the grader to know that I didn't mean it the way it was written and got the pass. (Much of my homework is done in the dead of night...ESPECIALLY the math....QL(x)1 had me up at all hours....lmao.)

You will do fine with it. Just knock that bad boy out.
  • Options
    Do not underestimate the 70-642. I decided to go with that one first as I had mostly networking experience, unfortunately there's a ton of stuff you'll never use on that test. Honestly, who uses a server as a router? Although I will say the most useful stuff was the RDS stuff, but that's something I set up and manage regularly.