Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    bull3t_six wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Cisco Certification Practice Exam for 640-816 from Cisco while going through CQV1?

https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/market/prod/productView.se.work?/nxt/rcrs/proieidentity/=20300

I found it to have many many questions that had no correct answers listed. Anyone else notice this??

I used it very briefly, personally i think the Boson practice tests that are included in the official study guide is a much better resource.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Passed BOV1 this morning icon_cheers.gif! I am done with vendor certifications for my degree, now it's on to some of the things I dread. I am not looking forward to the remaining math classes.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well let's see, LUT1, QLT1, LET1, ORC1, and MGC1 are all fairly straightforward classes, you should be able to power through those. The math is never fun. As for SSC1 and SST1, I transferred those in, but I hear they're a little frustrating. Good luck on what you've got left!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    i also passed BOV1 today!
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    usagent27 wrote: »
    i also passed BOV1 today!
    Congrats!!

How was it? I'm scheduled to take it next week.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Passed BOV1 this morning icon_cheers.gif! I am done with vendor certifications for my degree, now it's on to some of the things I dread. I am not looking forward to the remaining math classes.

Congrats!

How was the exam? I'm scheduled to take it next week.
  • Options
    usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    briandy81 wrote: »
    Congrats!!

How was it? I'm scheduled to take it next week.

not bad. lot of code examples
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I know this is a later reply, however I would suggest contacting student services. See if you can get a new mentor, there's no reason to put up with someone holding you back like that.
    So you think he's a detriment to my learning?

You maybe right. I had another talk with him. First, he seemed like he was in a rush during the phone call. He took me through the degree plan and gave me the three "keys" to success...the introduction, learning resources and preparing for success. Then I told him that initially the military advisor said I could take Management Principles, Organizational Behavior, CUV1 and BOV1. I wanted to save Tech Writing, Capstone and the DFV1 for second term (or for acceleration).

He didn't really resolve the issue and simply said that I couldn't go above 12 credits. Then he wanted me to take the practice test for Org Behavior.

So he's like take the exam in the next hour and he'd give me a call so he could finalize my AAV. But I wasn't really planning on doing school work tonight. So, I told him I'd like to go do a few things before taking the test. He says he'll finalize my AAV, take the test and he'll call me next week.

I can't say the experience was negative, but it wasn't positive either. And he never followed up on the questions or issues I had in the previous call.

To change mentor's, do I directly contact student services?
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep, just give them a call. They can assist you with assessing the need for a new mentor or resolve the issues you're currently having. If you're not receiving a reasonable response to your expectations there's no need to waste time trying to work with someone that has no interest in working with you.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Valsacar wrote: »
    No fair... I'm almost done with it.

Yeah, but you have the satisfaction of knowing you completed it. ;) Seriously, though, at the rate you're going, you'll be done with the full degree on the 3rd month. That's a crazy pace, man. I'm shooting for a year, and I think I can make that without too much hassle. Time will tell.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Yep, just give them a call. They can assist you with assessing the need for a new mentor or resolve the issues you're currently having. If you're not receiving a reasonable response to your expectations there's no need to waste time trying to work with someone that has no interest in working with you.
    Took your advice and called student services to request a new mentor. They said my mentor's program manager would be getting in touch with me to discuss the issue. She sent me an email to arrange a phone call, so hopefully after our talk, I can get a new mentor by Wednesday.

Took the BNC1 pretest and scored 62. I was extremely unfamiliar with a lot of the terms. Is there another way to view the textbook besides in the course of study? Is it accessible on books 24/7 or elsewhere? I want to do the reading on my iPad.

I must say the pocket wgu app is pretty handy.

Tonight I'm going to do the Management Principles pretest and see where I'm at. I'll probably request to take the test next week. But I haven't gotten the welcome aboard kit from WGU.
  • Options
    Took the preasessment for MGC1 and got a 70. I'm debating. I tend to be a perfectionist, but wonder if I should even invest time and energy studying (besides the two areas of weakness I had) and instead start working on CUV1.
  • Options
    pocketwgupocketwgu Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I must say the pocket wgu app is pretty handy.

I agree. icon_smile.gif
    Took the preasessment for MGC1 and got a 70. I'm debating. I tend to be a perfectionist, but wonder if I should even invest time and energy studying (besides the two areas of weakness I had) and instead start working on CUV1.

I experienced this internal debate for many classes too. It's actually tougher when the cut score is really low and the temptation is high to just get it over with. Just to be safe, I wouldn't take a real exam without a 20% breathing-room for the internal exams, or at least a 95% (for certification exams) on the pre-assessment. In addition to brushing-up on areas of weakness, ask yourself if you were guessing on the other areas: questions on the real exam are different (sometimes harder, sometimes easier).
  • Options
    pocketwgu wrote: »
    I experienced this internal debate for many classes too. It's actually tougher when the cut score is really low and the temptation is high to just get it over with. Just to be safe, I wouldn't take a real exam without a 20% breathing-room for the internal exams, or at least a 95% (for certification exams) on the pre-assessment. In addition to brushing-up on areas of weakness, ask yourself if you were guessing on the other areas: questions on the real exam are different (sometimes harder, sometimes easier).
    Well, I'm reading through my areas of weakness first then delving into other areas, but I only see myself spending possibly a week ish on this topic before moving to CUV1.

I spoke to my mentor's program manager today and she agreed that he wasn't being extremely helpful. So, she is going to reassign me to another mentor in a few days.

I got an envelope with some WGU info like the Network Admin degree, EWB, meeting my mentor and the refer a friend program. I thought you also got a coffee mug and thumb drive, guess times are hard.

Also was able to get acess to the VMware and Dreamspark. I'm being sent a web cam for next week.

Is there any other resource any one else can think of? Is there a way to get electronic copies of the books Or is it all web ereading like Safari?
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Well, I'm reading through my areas of weakness first then delving into other areas, but I only see myself spending possibly a week ish on this topic before moving to CUV1.

I spoke to my mentor's program manager today and she agreed that he wasn't being extremely helpful. So, she is going to reassign me to another mentor in a few days.

I got an envelope with some WGU info like the Network Admin degree, EWB, meeting my mentor and the refer a friend program. I thought you also got a coffee mug and thumb drive, guess times are hard.

Also was able to get acess to the VMware and Dreamspark. I'm being sent a web cam for next week.

Is there any other resource any one else can think of? Is there a way to get electronic copies of the books Or is it all web ereading like Safari?

You will be getting a box as well... Mug, mousepad, picture frame, pen, some sticky notes and a card that you select your shirt size and mail back and get a free shirt (I still haven't done that yet).
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I just received my transfer credits for the BS in IT Sec. These are the classes I have left. Any suggestions on where to start? I know some are prerequisites for others like COV1 and CQV1.

BNC1 Organizational behavior and leadership
    BOV1 Web Programming
    KET1 Introduction to Programming
    KFT1 Objected Oriented Design and Development
    TPV1 Project Management
    CSV1 Operating Systems
    CJV1 Database 1
    CUV1 Web Technologies
    COV1 Fundamentals of interconnecting Network Devices
    CQV1 Interconnecting Network Devices
    CNV1 Designing Customized Security
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    kgb wrote: »
    You will be getting a box as well... Mug, mousepad, picture frame, pen, some sticky notes and a card that you select your shirt size and mail back and get a free shirt (I still haven't done that yet).

I got no such thing...
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    crip1087crip1087 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just graduated with my Bachelors of Science in Information Technology from WGU! Took me a good 15 months from the day I started(transferred in 28 units). Feels great to finally finish and good luck to all students!

My WGU experience has been nothing short of great! My mentor(Cora Peterson) was amazing. I really felt like I got my money's worth and I definitely recommend this school to anyone who is thinking of attending.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    afcyung wrote: »
    I just received my transfer credits for the BS in IT Sec. These are the classes I have left. Any suggestions on where to start? I know some are prerequisites for others like COV1 and CQV1.

BNC1 Organizational behavior and leadership
    BOV1 Web Programming
    KFT1 Objected Oriented Design and Development
    TPV1 Project Management
    CSV1 Operating Systems
    CJV1 Database 1
    CUV1 Web Technologies
    COV1 Fundamentals of interconnecting Network Devices
    CQV1 Interconnecting Network Devices
    CNV1 Designing Customized Security

The BNC1 is the easiest one and it will help with the Project Management course. CUV1, BOV1, and CJV1 build on each other.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just started my 2nd term at WGU. Provided I don't hit any road blocks, I should be done this term.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    crip1087 wrote: »
    Just graduated with my Bachelors of Science in Information Technology from WGU! Took me a good 15 months from the day I started(transferred in 28 units). Feels great to finally finish and good luck to all students!

My WGU experience has been nothing short of great! My mentor(Cora Peterson) was amazing. I really felt like I got my money's worth and I definitely recommend this school to anyone who is thinking of attending.

Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Are you thinking about going for a master's degree?
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    I got no such thing...

Weird...I see your location is Seoul. Maybe that is a factor since it comes from Utah. Or that you are in the Master's program and not Bachelor's... Grasping at straws, as I clearly don't have the answer why. I would highly doubt it's random who gets one.
  • Options

Congrats!!

Your story sounds like how I hope mine to play out:) I transferred in close to that many credits and I'm aiming for a 2-3 term completion timeframe.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    kgb wrote: »
    Weird...I see your location is Seoul. Maybe that is a factor since it comes from Utah. Or that you are in the Master's program and not Bachelor's... Grasping at straws, as I clearly don't have the answer why. I would highly doubt it's random who gets one.

I got the welcome packet, I have a US address (Military APO address) so that's not it. Either they stopped doing it, or it's only for BA/BS people.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I got the welcome packet, I have a US address (Military APO address) so that's not it. Either they stopped doing it, or it's only for BA/BS people.

Ask your mentor. I got one for my BS and another one a couple weeks ago. Replaced my old mousepad with the latest one, and put the rest in the box with the last set.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137

Congrats on the degree! I am starting in July, so glad I found the WGU threads last year it has already been helpful. Actually was the way i found out about the school and decided to sign up.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I was just going through my transfer evaluation and was surprised that I transferred in 68 CUs between an AS in business management and the couple certs I have. I figured I would go the no emphasis route since I am still unsure which way to go in my career and would hopefully have a better idea during/after WGU. I'm pretty sure the ones I will have the most difficult with is the programming!

WFV1 IT Fundamentals I
    DFV1 Web Development Fundamentals
    CUV1 Web Technologies
    DJV1 Software Development Fundamentals
    BOV1 Web Programming
    BNC1 Organizational Behavior and Leadership
    CVV1 Database Fundamentals
    MGC1 Principles of Management
    CJV1 Database I
    KFT1 Object Oriented Design and Development
  • Options
    natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Grats!

And ditto here - I transferred in 29 credits, just started my first term.

However, I get a little torn though between:

- wanting to get the degree as quickly as possible (to cut down on costs since we pay per semester)
    vs.
    - wanting to learn as much as I can (which means I'd have to take my time)

The strategy that I think will work for me is to take breaks between semesters. Even if it means I'll be cut off from learning resources (though some may still be available), I can always find other resources to learn from, and basically give me a head start on the more challenging classes I plan on taking the following semester.

As one example, I know I'll find Java programming hard for me... there's plenty of learning java resources out there and books.. So I plan on getting the foundation down before I start that semester so that I won't struggle so much with the course.

Would love any feedback about this idea/strategy from other students.

Thanks
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• Options
    crip1087crip1087 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    amcnow wrote: »
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Are you thinking about going for a master's degree?

I am considering the 3 different IT related Master's degrees that WGU offers. I hope to start my masters in January. I am leaning towards the MS in Information Security & Assurance. I was hoping to find some more input from WGU grad students on their experiences with that program.