Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like how you did the wedding. I keep telling my girlfriend I dont see the reason behind spending $20k+ on wedding for a single day having 200 people who you barely talk to come to the ceremony. I rather have something intimate with 30 people my closest family, friends, etc. I feel that money is best spent to contribute to a nice down on a house. I suppose your right not justifying the expense to fly over.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lol Yea my mom wants the picture also. I'm not sure if it'll be worth it just yet for me to go for my masters. My older brother who is in the finance dept at the local college told me go for it since everyone has it now. Everyone in his office has a masters minus him and thankfully he has the experience to back his bachelors. If i do idk if i'd do it through wgu i'll do it online but a well known school in jersey for much more $$$ of course.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just submitted Task 3 for JDT2 HR. Fingers crossed hopefully it will come back with a pass. The first time I either got 4's or 0's LOL

2/3rd's of the requirements I passed though so this time it should even be better!
  • Options
    ClevernamehereClevernamehere Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting to see that WGU doesn't seem to be doing the database concentration anymore. Maybe I'm behind on that knowledge. Guess they weren't getting enough entrants to justify it?
  • Options
    rauckmanrauckman Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was told that I had to pay the $60 application fee and was not informed that my current employer (at&t) was a corporate partner. When I asked the enrollment councelor if they were, I was given a code and all fees were waived. They will waive fees but the information is not volunteered.
  • Options
    dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I have been a longtime lurker on this site, but never really posted much. I never had a need to with some good mastery of the search function I was able to find just about any answer I needed. I took the plunge and completed my intake interview today and I am starting on Aug. 1st. My enrollment process was pretty smooth and my enrollment counselor was very helpful. Thanks to you all for your success stories and the motivation for me to start and finish this chapter in life. I can't wait to start.
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Interesting to see that WGU doesn't seem to be doing the database concentration anymore?
    I like the school, but I foresee the quality of the program being so much better in 5-10 years. I think they have way too many IT programs. I wouldn't mind just sys admin, network engineer and security tracks. Also develop their own in-house curriculum more.

Then injecting maybe a C or C+ course or visual basic in general Ed level, a beginner computer course.

Throwing LPIC/Linux+, VCP, Server+, possibly RHCA, a data center or design course and a server security course for sys admin track. **** the MCSE and keep Server 2012/2008, active directory and include Exchange.

Throw in JNCIA, CCDA, LPIC, JNCIS ENT, CCNA Security into the Network Engineer track.

Security can have CASP, SSCP, CEH, CCNA Security, CIW Security Professional and CISA.
  • Options
    @ Clevername

I never saw the value in getting a degree around database. Always sounded weird, development makes much more sense. SQL is easy to learn, no need to make a bachelors out of it. Now development on the other hand has a lot of material, enough to make a bachelors out of and you can even make a course or two related to database.

I wish WGU would create a Computer Science degree.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got a nice, little 8 GB flash drive in the mail today for On Time Progress for my degree.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    8 GB? Dang, I think I got a 2 GB one.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    N2IT wrote: »
    I wish WGU would create a Computer Science degree.

This x100000000000000. I would get another Bachelor's if they ever started offering one.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    It would be pretty tempting however the MBA program has been everything I could handle and then some.
  • Options
    techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    lol WTH...mine was 4GB...seems they give out whatever surplus at the time...icon_rolleyes.gif
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    70-680 Passed! icon_cheers.gif

Aside from submitting the paperwork, I am now done with my BS degree. That takes a huge load off of me and I feel really good about it. Now, a short break and on to the MS:ISA.

Edit to add: 1 year and 4 months to the day. Aside from a couple of set backs, I exceeded my own planned progress. Going to eat something expensive and drink myself slightly silly.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats Hypntick! Can't wait for my turn soon. My new term starts tomorrow.
  • Options
    natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    grats Hypntick!
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations, Hypntick.
  • Options
    dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations Hypntick. I hope to have that same accomplishment in about 18 months from now roughly.
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I'm really hating the new exam retake policies. For those of you that don't know, if you fail an objective exam (including third party vendor exams, such as MS) you have a mandatory 14 day waiting period before you can re-take, and you have to do a bunch of busy work before the course mentor grants you permission to retake.

I understand where they're coming from, but it's an absolute pain to deal with. 73-643 has got me twice - as it has gotten several others, that exam goes WAY deeper into the material the objectives and prep material lets on - and I've been cleaning up on all the practice tests and exercises the CM is giving me, and it's getting to the point that doing is stuff is distracting me from doing hands on stuff on my own, which is the only thing that is actually going to help.

Add to that the fact that the guy is hard to reach, and it can be a week between calls, it gets pretty frustrating. It's enough that I'm not even going to attempt 73-647 this term - I'll just request my capstone so I can wrap that up, and do one more term with only 1 class remaining.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    joberjober Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dcren21 wrote: »
    Well, I have been a longtime lurker on this site, but never really posted much. I never had a need to with some good mastery of the search function I was able to find just about any answer I needed. I took the plunge and completed my intake interview today and I am starting on Aug. 1st. My enrollment process was pretty smooth and my enrollment counselor was very helpful. Thanks to you all for your success stories and the motivation for me to start and finish this chapter in life. I can't wait to start.

dcren21 I am in the same position as you. Longtime lurker. I also will be starting on August 1st. Nice to find someone else starting with me. I wish you the best of luck and thank all who post in here for their posts. Quite motivational whether you all realize it or not.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm also prepared to start August 1st (my intake interview is tomorrow). Good luck to the both of you.
  • Options
    GPITGPIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm still in the phase of doing all my research before I head down this path. But I wanted to say that all the posts in this thread and this forum in general have really helped answer questions I've had and eased my reservations about attending an online university.
  • Options
    natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am very impressed with the CIW training materials so far.

For WFV1 I didn't need to study for because of my background by I skimmed through the material for that course and was really impressed with how thorough it was. And now I'm studying BOV1 (JavaScript) and the way the material is presented is just perfectly done. The practice tests at the end of each lesson really help drill into the material too.

Too bad the Microsoft MTA training isn't as good (DFV1). They had you do labs/practice examples too but I just didn't find it as easy to follow and understand like with the CIW materials.
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• Options
    Just got task 3 back from taskstream for JDT2. Passed my last written assignment.

2 down 9 more courses to go.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Just got task 3 back from taskstream for JDT2. Passed my last written assignment.

2 down 9 more courses to go.

Way to go! Keep it up. :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    Thanks a lot TL. Currently working on task 1 for supply chain. This is taking quite a bit of effort :)

I talk to my mentor on Tuesday I want him to add Risk Management since I am currently reviewing the material for the RMP (Risk Management Professional) Aligned with the PMP but more about risk and how risk effects projects. Doing the two together makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm about to sign up for WGU.

Im afraid though because I have a tough time learning. I need to find ways to learn more efficiently.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Hypntick wrote: »
    70-680 Passed! icon_cheers.gif

Aside from submitting the paperwork, I am now done with my BS degree. That takes a huge load off of me and I feel really good about it. Now, a short break and on to the MS:ISA.

Edit to add: 1 year and 4 months to the day. Aside from a couple of set backs, I exceeded my own planned progress. Going to eat something expensive and drink myself slightly silly.

Congrats!!! I'm right behind you! CCENT, my technical writing, and I'm doneicon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Jasiono wrote: »
    I'm about to sign up for WGU.

Im afraid though because I have a tough time learning. I need to find ways to learn more efficiently.

I'm not purposely being a debbie-downer, but I will be honest. If you are not a self-motivator and a self-learner, you will more than likely not enjoy being a student at WGU.

Just my limited experienced opinion (started May 2012). There is no hand holding. It's 100% up to you to buckle down and get it done.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm extremely motivated. My post was more directed towards the fact that I'm a little nervous.

I have ample time to spend reading and studying for the courses.