Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jack2 wrote: »
    Just received my score!!! 3.74/4.0!!

Overall comments:
    This Technical Writing Proposal has been a pleasure to read and evaluate. Congratulations!

Congrats!

Nicely done.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Well my mentor just left WGU and I finally talked to my newly assigned mentor today. I mentioned I was using another book for CTV1 which comes highly recommended on these forums. I am really not that thrilled with how persistent my new mentor came across in how I need to follow the ucertify / assigned materials for CTV1. I will use what damn materials that I want to use because not all of WGU's materials are the best even if they can get the job done. Also, I do not see a point in taking the pre-assessment exam if my entire security background sucks. Ah well. I do need to get the ball rolling again. I've been slacking since I finished the A+.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Krones wrote: »
    ...I will use what damn materials that I want to use because not all of WGU's materials are the best even if they can get the job done. Also, I do not see a point in taking the pre-assessment exam if my entire security background sucks. Ah well. I do need to get the ball rolling again. I've been slacking since I finished the A+.

I agree with you 100%. That's one of WGU's key selling points as far as I'm concerned. The fact you are in charge of your program/progress/etc.

It's obvious to me, that I won the jackpot when I was assigned the mentor I have. She's great and has remained in the shadows unless I approach her. There's quite a bit of posts I read here and other forums where people describe the process that their mentor attempts to force upon them. I really could see how having to deal with that could make my school experience not as good as it should be.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Krones

Well said.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I was not happy when the Microsoft based courses switched to MOAC material and got rid of TestOUT. I have had to use my own prep material.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was not happy when the Microsoft based courses switched to MOAC material and got rid of TestOUT. I have had to use my own prep material.

exactly why i say get the gen ed degree
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Krones wrote: »
    Well my mentor just left WGU and I finally talked to my newly assigned mentor today. I mentioned I was using another book for CTV1 which comes highly recommended on these forums. I am really not that thrilled with how persistent my new mentor came across in how I need to follow the ucertify / assigned materials for CTV1. I will use what damn materials that I want to use because not all of WGU's materials are the best even if they can get the job done. Also, I do not see a point in taking the pre-assessment exam if my entire security background sucks. Ah well. I do need to get the ball rolling again. I've been slacking since I finished the A+.
    Yeah, I find their "process" really troublesome/cumbersome. I think it's designed for people who need larger amounts of direction and motivation. This doesn't seem to really apply to the majority of the TE crowed.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm on my first Taskstream task (for HHT1 - Finite Math) and unsure how to format the document...

For example, there is "Task A", which has 3 sub-sections (and the 3rd section is broken down into 2 more sub-sections), and then "Task B" with it's own sub-sections, etc etc..

Is it OK to have lets say an H1 header as "Task A - Rounding and Truncation"

and then have H2 headers with the various sub-questions?

Or does this have to be written more like an essay that includes all these questions/points?

Thanks
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I set AAV with my mentor today. I will be enrolled in IT Fundamentals I, II, III, and Organizational Behavior and Leadership. I expect to finish them by the end of the year.
    Mine read like an outline.

In fact, from what I've read of other peoples experiences is the more you format the paper to be like the rubric, the easier it is to grade, etc.

natv wrote: »
    I'm on my first Taskstream task (for HHT1 - Finite Math) and unsure how to format the document...

For example, there is "Task A", which has 3 sub-sections (and the 3rd section is broken down into 2 more sub-sections), and then "Task B" with it's own sub-sections, etc etc..

Is it OK to have lets say an H1 header as "Task A - Rounding and Truncation"

and then have H2 headers with the various sub-questions?

Or does this have to be written more like an essay that includes all these questions/points?

Thanks
  • natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great thanks, I'll do that then.
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    I set AAV with my mentor today. I will be enrolled in IT Fundamentals I, II, III, and Organizational Behavior and Leadership. I expect to finish them by the end of the year.

DPG - that's good news! Good luck on these courses! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Christian.Christian. Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm really interested to study here, I'm actually moving towards that. I was reading about the Bachelor of Science, IT Security as my work experience comes from that field (security and network) and I think I'm going to apply in a few weeks (I have to first pass the english test, TOEFL, as english is not my native language. This is going to be a double challenge if they approve me). There is one thing that I don't really understand from this and I was unable to find it. There are many classes and certifications outlined in the pdf from this program, but how do you exactly get the degree?

I mean, each class I suppose has a paper/final test? Do you need to get all the certifications in order to pass? Or they just give you a voucher to take those if you want to complement your resume? I'm not seeing if you are required to get all those or how exactly this works. I'm already reading this thread, thanks for everyone who contributes here with real experiences.

Thanks,
    Chris
    CISSP | CCSM | CCSE | CCSA | CCNA Sec | CCNA | CCENT | Security+ | Linux+ | Project+ | A+ | LPIC1
  • GPITGPIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Christian. wrote: »
    I'm really interested to study here, I'm actually moving towards that. I was reading about the Bachelor of Science, IT Security as my work experience comes from that field (security and network) and I think I'm going to apply in a few weeks (I have to first pass the english test, TOEFL, as english is not my native language. This is going to be a double challenge if they approve me). There is one thing that I don't really understand from this and I was unable to find it. There are many classes and certifications outlined in the pdf from this program, but how do you exactly get the degree?

I mean, each class I suppose has a paper/final test? Do you need to get all the certifications in order to pass? Or they just give you a voucher to take those if you want to complement your resume? I'm not seeing if you are required to get all those or how exactly this works. I'm already reading this thread, thanks for everyone who contributes here with real experiences.

Thanks,
    Chris

For classes that have a corresponding certification, the certification exam is your "test." Passing the certification exam means you passed the class. Other classes do not have a corresponding certification and you must take a normal test as expected.
    You should contact the course mentors for help. I'd be surprised if anyone actually gave you a copy of their assignment to use as a "guide".

There's plenty of little tidbits of information in these threads about the numerous classes. I suggest you take the time and energy and do some self research and learning.
    JG10 wrote: »
    HI, i need help with CPV1, GAC1. Is someone who can can help me? I need all tasks, will us as a guide.
    Thanks.

• clewi45clewi45 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am enrolling in the Business Management starting Jan 1, have all pre-req's done and am waiting to start EWB in December. I just want to say hi to everyone (2nd post) and share my experience so far.

I am AMAZED at how straight forward the enrollment and admissions process is at WGU. All the information was available in a straight forward, step-by-step fashion and I have a personal admissions counselor to boot. I am so impressed.

That said, I am revving in neutral (not really: wife in school, 4 daughters, career (IT mgr)) and am open for any advice you feel generous to bestow.
    clewi45 wrote: »
    I am enrolling in the Business Management starting Jan 1, have all pre-req's done and am waiting to start EWB in December.

@clewi45 - when you say you have all the pre-req's, do you mean you already have business-specific courses like FNT1, BWC1, EGT1, QMC1? If not, and you are only transferring the gen-ed courses like AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, I would suggest that you do a quick BS in IT (as you already have several certs) and top it off with an MBA.
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @clewi45 - when you say you have all the pre-req's, do you mean you already have business-specific courses like FNT1, BWC1, EGT1, QMC1? If not, and you are only transferring the gen-ed courses like AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, I would suggest that you do a quick BS in IT (as you already have several certs) and top it off with an MBA.

Sorry, I misspoke when I mentioned 'pre-reqs'. What I was talking about was the admissions and financial-aid requirements. I am transferring a few credits, but not a lot.

So, you make a good point and I've been going back and forth on which to go with. The reason I settled on the BS-ITM is because I am currently managing others full-time and need the training. While I know I could do the BS-IT a bit faster, it's not where my career going. It's a hard decision, 'cause I know I could whip through half the IT courses.

Oh, and congratulations on starting your program next week!
    Ivanjam - My apologies; I meant all my admissions work was done. As far as transferring credits, I have a few, but unfortunately there won't be much that will apply.

You make a great point about the BS-IT being faster. I've gone back and forth on this quite a bit, but ended up deciding to go with the IT management degree, as it as I am very much needing the education in that area. It is very tempting to go the technical route for sure.

Are you really starting your program on Thursday?!?! If so, congratulations on the start of your program. It's an exciting one for sure!

(my earlier reply didn't post, so this is a second attempt)
    clewi45 wrote: »
    Are you really starting your program on Thursday?!?! If so, congratulations on the start of your program. It's an exciting one for sure!

Thanks, clewi45! Yes, I start this Thursday - I hope to do 20-30 CU's this semester.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got my Java for Programmers book from Amazon today, on the recommendation of swild. Just skimming through, it already looks better than the Horstmann book in WileyPlus. This should help for both KET1 and KFT1.
  • KaiiKaii Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hellow im new in seeing wgu..

i don`t understand how tuition fees or payments work..

is it real that BSIT is $23,000 per 6 sem O_O
    I`m the Designer of my Own Catastrophy

“The best way to predict the FUTURE is to CREATE it”
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Packing and moving are taking up a good portion of my time, however I did pack up my desktop last night and left out my CEH book to study. Hopefully when we're done packing, tonight if we can swing it, i'll have a few days to study before we drive out to NC. Luckily i'm super ahead of where I need to be right now so i've got plenty of time to play catch up.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    Kaii wrote: »
    hellow im new in seeing wgu..

i don`t understand how tuition fees or payments work..

is it real that BSIT is $23,000 per 6 sem O_O

It's $17,340 for 6 semesters at WGU.
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    It's $17,340 for 6 semesters at WGU.

Important to point out that a Semester is 6 months long as well. So, that's 3 solid years of university classes.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Got my Java for Programmers book from Amazon today, on the recommendation of swild. Just skimming through, it already looks better than the Horstmann book in WileyPlus. This should help for both KET1 and KFT1.

Someone else also recommended, Beginning Java Objects: From Concepts to Code Beginning Java Objects: From Concepts To Code, Second Edition: Jacquie Barker: 9781590594575: Amazon.com: Books This book is actually available free through Skillsoft. I think it's a good supplement to the Java for Programmers book personally.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How long does it usually take to receive a voucher once requested?
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Generally between 24 and 72 hours.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Passed Task 1 and Task 2 in decision analysis. Working in succession with decision analysis is strategic management. 0 task completed with strategic management yet.

After I complete those 2 that will leave me with Leadership this semester.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In reference to IWC1: Literature, Arts and the Humanities

Does anybody have any advice for this course. I'm finding it really difficult to retain the information. Not only that, I'm having trouble differentiating between what information is important and what is fluff. Finally, for those who have passed, how similar is the final exam to the pre-assessment?

Thanks so much in advance, hopefully someone can help me out with this.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)