Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    I scheduled the WFV1(IT Fundamentals I) exam for tomorrow.

Passed the exam. This was the easiest certification exam that I have taken.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I finished up the AXV1(IT Fundamentals II) course today and requested the voucher for the CompTIA A+ Essentials exam. I was impressed with the TestOut LabSim course that WGU provided.
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been provissionally accepted as a student in the BS:IT program!!! I am targeting a Jan1 date. I have to say that i was expecting the transcript review to take longer but it took about 3 days to go through each of my three transcripts. I did the math and 48/110 CUs qualified through the transfers. I am really excited to get started on this.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    is any one planning on going to atlanta in feb for commencement
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    is any one planning on going to atlanta in feb for commencement

Oh, that's where graduation is? I thought it was in Salt Lake?
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU

If I finish up this month, I wonder if that will put me in the pool of graduates for that , or if I have to wait til later... Atlanta is a lot more doable for me than Salt Lake...

Thanks for posting this!
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It has been a while since I made a post here. I just completed my first MSISA class, and I gotta say I wasn't quite proud of the progress I was making since I have no real excuse for not meeting the goal I had in mind when I first started. I thought I was going to complete at least three courses this term, but I didn't. I established an unrealistic expectation to begin with since I didn't even know the program topics well enough beforehand. I was also trying to juggle the MSISA and the Linux certification study, which wasn't effective for me. I was lacking motivation, especially after receiving the taskstream notification turnarounds. My motivation was so bad that I was literally stuck on the same task for more than a month.

I know some of you may be wondering how can I not care about completing my SAP. Well, I was actually accelerating in my third undergraduate term. So the graduate courses were free, but the catch was that I had to finish the courses my mentor opened for me before the last day of my term or else I will receive a "not passed" on my undergraduate transcript despite the classes being graduate classes. I was also required to complete a course at time. I think this may be the reason why I lacked motivation. If I knew this was coming out of my pocket, I would probably have the incentive to work harder. Unfortunately, free is not good enough for me.

I have thought about bailing out of the graduate program completely, but then I realized that I didn't even have my real chance yet. I can still see the dim light at the end of the tunnel. After reading Excellent1's post, I was inspired to share my failure story and continue my study even though I did much worse than he did.
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    I made an observation a long time ago in this thread that people often compare themselves unrealistically to those that are making huge progress. They read about people completing 60+ CU's in a term and think, "man I must suck". My observation at the time was simply that the success stories are always going to be overrepresented simply because people do not, for the most part, post failure stories.

+1. THIS! I couldn't have said it better. By the way, Excellent1, I'm sorry about your loss.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm putting graduate school on hold until the end of the term, which is at the end of the year, as I do not anticipate getting a "not passed" on my transcript. Beside, I really want to get back to my Linux study. I have been pulling it off for so long.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hiddenknight, I feel for your situation. And looking to be in a similar predicament next spring. I want to get the R&S CCIE but feel obligated/pressured to pursue my masters, in this case the WGU MSISA.

I think you should figure out which is going to prioritize by short term and long term benefits. If the Linux studies are going to bump up your salary in the short term then go for it.
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's official. VUT2 is completed. I've completed 50% of the course content for LOT2. I will crank out two of the tasks within the next couple of days. This will leave me the third task for next weekend. I still have to squeeze in time to revisit preparation for COV2. My second shot is scheduled for Wednesday, but I may postpone it until after Thanksgiving.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
    Count me in the list of graduates:)

Passed ANV1 this morning and got KFT1 Task 4 passed this afternoon.

Feels goooooooood! ALL DONE!!
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kgb wrote: »
    Count me in the list of graduates:)

Passed ANV1 this morning and got KFT1 Task 4 passed this afternoon.

Feels goooooooood! ALL DONE!!

Congratulations, kgb! 1 term and 1 month - great going!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • TechChica2012TechChica2012 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    May I ask for those in the MS ISA: How is the course load on the classes where you are not studying for a cert? Any examples would be great. Thanks in advance. I'm trying to be sure WGU is for me.
    Just submitted Task 1 for LOT2. It's not my best work, but should get the job done. I also went ahead and postponed my ICND1 exam until after Thanksgiving.
    May I ask for those in the MS ISA: How is the course load on the classes where you are not studying for a cert? Any examples would be great. Thanks in advance. I'm trying to be sure WGU is for me.

The material covered in each performance assessment is fairly robust. You will definitely get your learn on. In addition, there are only a few tasks for each performance assessment. However, they require a decent amount of work.

A fixed number of courses are scheduled per term, to be completed one at a time. You are allowed to tackle more than one at a time if you think you can handle it. Also, there's no penalty for working ahead. People work at different paces. With that said, one course generally requires 15 - 20 hours of study time per week.
    Aristotle wrote:
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Several of you have commented on my previous post--I appreciate the kind words.

I have to be selfishly honest, though--my main reason for coming back to this thread was to read about all of the progress and success people are having and using it for fuel to get my act together and start pushing forward. Lot going on right now--new job at a different facility, moving, school, and working on certifications related to work (non-IT). At the same time, still helping mom get to her cancer treatments and making sure she is taken care of. Stressful, but time to get back on track.

Right now I'm working on LOT2 Task 2, and I'm hoping to finish both task 2 and 3 over the holiday weekend. Following that, FMV2 while FNV2 is still relatively fresh in mind. Not a huge fan of the EC-Council learning resources, but I haven't found much for self-study for CHFI. If anyone has any suggestions on additional / alternative resources for this, I'd appreciate it if you could pass it along. Thanks.
  • k.o.r.k.o.r. Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When looking at job statistics/boards, I will see software development as a job with much growth in IT. However, I don't come across many WGU student experiences majoring in software on this thread. Any reason for this? Would also appreciate any feedback about your experience from WGU students majoring in software?
    Just submitted Task 2 for LOT2. This is the first time I've have more than one task pending evaluation. I feel the same way about this one as I do about Task 1. It could have been better, but should be enough to pass.

I'm going to take the rest of the day to enjoy the holiday with family. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Aristotle wrote:
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Question for those who have taken KET1...

How exactly did you get your code for WileyPLUS? I have KET1 loaded in the COS but no code. I passed the assessments for BOV1 and MGC1 last week and I'm ready to get on with KET1 but no access to the WileyPLUS stuff is stopping my progress.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
    You go into the COS. Pick the learning resources tab. Cliick enroll. Might take a couple of days, with the holiday weekend.
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Click on the Learning Resources tab in the COS and you should see a button where you can request access, I think you click that and then your mentor approves it from what I remember.
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you Psoasman and boredgamelad!

There was a button there to enroll.

Tried to contact my mentor yesterday but it was a bit late and I bet he was already off to enjoy the Thanksgiving break.

EDIT: wow, about 30 minutes later the code popped up in my email :)
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Task 3 decision analysis passed and 4 is being reviewed now. Fingers crossed, according to my mentor this is the hardest class offered by WGU.

Looking forward to get into strategic management and then leadership.
    Passed Tasks 1 and 2 for LOT2 on the first try. Unfortunately, this cold pretty much ruined my plan to finish this course this weekend. Just my luck...
    Aristotle wrote:
  • CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm about to start my WGU BS: IT degree on December 1. I'm somewhat afraid, but I also feel ambitious and excited. I only transferred in 41 credits, which I am disappointed in, but I still intend on getting my degree in one semester. I know that is a tall order, but that is what I have planned out and I am sticking to it. WGU is going to be my main focus. I plan on doing my orientation tomorrow... my Enrollment Counselor told me orientation was 6 hours, but said I could split that time up (I intend on just sitting it through, once). Also, for those in the BS: IT program, what are some courses that you can knock out quickly (compared to the average course)? I've read that the CIW exams are pretty easy as long as you know your A+ certification stuff. If anyone wants more info, this is a list of the courses I have to complete:

WFV1 IT Fundamentals I
    CLC1 Reasoning and Problem Solving
    INC1 Integrated Natural Science
    INT1 Integrated Natural Science Applications
    DFV1 Web Development Fundamentals
    CUV1 Web Technologies
    GAC1 Finite Mathematics
    HHT1 Finite Mathematics Applications
    DHV1 Windows OS Fundamentals
    DIV1 Windows Server Admin Fundamentals
    QLT1 Quantitative Literacy: Quantitative Problem Solving and Applications
    DJV1 Software Development Fundamentals
    BOV1 Web Programming
    BNC1 Organizational Behavior and Leadership
    KET1 Introduction to Programming
    CVV1 Database Fundamentals
    MGC1 Principles of Management
    RIT1 Leadership Concepts and Applications
    CJV1 Database I
    KFT1 Object Oriented Design and Development
    TPV1 Project Management
    SBT1 Technical Writing
    QZT1 IT Capstone Written Project
    check you pms
    @Centurion.

You've got some work ahead of you. Getting all this done in 1 term is going to be a challenge.

That said, MGC1, RIT1, BNC1, and TPV1 can all be done in a month.

WFV1 is easy, especially with the A, N, and S+ under your belt. Brush up on HTML v5 and you should be good to go.

SBT1 and QZT1 - I am doing SBT1 now and about done, just started last week. If you are good at writing papers, then the classes requiring writing should be cake. I've read on this forum that people have knocked them out in a week.

Depending on your experience with programming, those classes might take some time.

Hope that helps. :D
  • tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another new guy here... I'm scheduled to start the BS:IT program on January 1st. I have an A.A.S. from a CC and I just obtained the A+ cert. I am transferring in 54 CUs. My goal is to complete the degree in 2 terms. I am also curious if anyone has advice for which order to complete the courses. I have started studying for the N+ exam so that I can at least be able to knock out 1 cert when I start. These are the classes I have left to complete:

WFV1 IT Fundamentals I
    DFV1 Web Development Fundamentals
    CUV1 Web Technologies
    DIV1 Windows Server Admin Fundamentals
    CWV1 Network Fundamentals
    CRV1 Networks
    DEV1 Security Fundamentals
    CTV1 Security
    DJV1 Software Development Fundamentals
    BOV1 Web Programming
    KET1 Introduction to Programming
    MGC1 Principles of Management
    RIT1 Leadership Concepts and Applications
    CJV1 Database I
    KFT1 Object Oriented Design and Development
    TPV1 Project Management
    SBT1 Technical Writing
    QZT1 IT Capstone Written Project
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    check you pms

better holla at some midol
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    better holla at some midol

LOL. I see what you did there... icon_cool.gif
    Aristotle wrote: