Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How did everyone else deal with BNC1/ORC1? This stuff is extremely boring and the e-text is poorly presented. The book is also ridiculously expensive.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BNC1: Make anki flashcards for the vocab and drill it, take the preassessment and paste it into Word as you're taking it, and go over all the questions again later. Drill vocab more and then take the test.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • DeeBreDeeBre Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone have any time to help someone struggling with a GUI in off task 4. I built the classes with the polymorphism but the GUI and I are not playing well together. I truly feel the book is inadequate for this task. Any thoughts, ideas, guidance, videos, etc would be appreciated
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's always command line :)
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    How did everyone else deal with BNC1/ORC1? This stuff is extremely boring and the e-text is poorly presented. The book is also ridiculously expensive.

It really is boring, isn't it? Joshmadakor has the right idea. Just cram the vocab and take the pre-assessment twice and you should be good to go. This is basically the same strategy for MGC1, by the way. There are also a handful of overlapping concepts between the two.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□

(1) Watch the webinars in the WGU BNC1 learning community
    (2) Study these flashcards (recommended in the above learning community): BNC1 Organization Behavior and Leadership flashcards | Quizlet
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Been a while since I posted any status, had a long distance move and a new job enter the picture. Now that i'm settled in mostly i'm working on finishing VUT2, currently 2/3 of the assessments are done. Will be working on my next to last PowerPoint tonight, really getting tired of them. After that, starting in on the CEH studies, about 5 chapters deep into the all in one book already. Despite being close to halfway done, i'm starting to lose a little steam. I think the move and job change really messed me up a bit.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another member, swild, posted about this. He suggested the Java for Programmers, by Deitel. I am finally starting to understand arrays. Now, I can finally get Ket1 task 1 done.
    That's good news, Psoasman - good luck on KET1 and KFT1! icon_thumright.gif
    Thanks. I turned in KET1, task 1 last night. Now, I am waiting for Taskstream on the tech paper and task 1. Going to start on task 2 tomorrow.
    Finally packed away my webcam - the only objective assessments I have left are with Prometric/Pearson Vue. Online proctoring was an interesting experience, to say the least, decorated with choice expletives aimed at Kryterion, WGU, Clear Wireless and the Ogdru Jahad. Not sure what the role the latter played in my trials and tribulations, but I added them for good measure.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Thanks. I turned in KET1, task 1 last night. Now, I am waiting for Taskstream on the tech paper and task 1. Going to start on task 2 tomorrow.

you can do it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Passed Decision Analysis (the hardest MBA course according to my mentor) 4 more classes to go. Leadership, Stategy, Finance, and Capstone.

Task 1 in strategy has been approved as well and task 2 has been submitted.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good job N2IT, keep it up! LAT1 (undergrad research paper) is kicking my butt right now.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    Passed CPV1 (IT Fundamentals III) yesterday and picked up the CompTIA A+ certification. Keeping pace with my goal of finishing in 2 terms.
    They changed the cut score to 61% as of tomorrow and my mentor wants to see 71% on the pre-assessment before referring me to the exam.

WGU decided not to change the cut score for BNC1 just yet so it is still 51%.
    Congrats @DPG, @N2IT and @Psoasman. The determination to succeed and propensity for hard work that you guys demonstrate, oftentimes despite tough circumstances, serve as an example worthy of emulation for us all.
  • j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm waiting on a voucher to come through at the moment to take an assessment. =/ On a side note what does the VMware WGU student learning things get us other than training lessons and evaluation software? Can it be used to bypass their draconian requirements for you to take(pay) for their class to become a VCP? Pearson-VUE was down this evening so I couldn't test it. And does anyone know if WGU will sell discounted vouchers from CompTIA/CIW? Both companies have student discounts if purchased through a university for exams.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
    @j23evan - that's a very good question! I too would love to find out if, as a student of WGU, one can buy discounted MS, Cisco, Comptia, etc exam vouchers from the college in areas not included in one's course of study?
  • MSPSHAY2003MSPSHAY2003 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am getting excited about a degree in IT
    What is the average time people spend a week for online schooling. I am trying to determine if I should set aside 10,12 or 15 hours.
    Depends on my schedule, however I normally do at minimum 2 hours daily on week days and 4 hours on each weekend day. Now if my schedule is a little more open and i'm not being killed at work, i'll bump up to 4 all the way across.
  • dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Which of these classes can be completed in the smallest amount of time possible?

I need to complete a bunch of classes this term to keep my financial aid because I had a rough term last term. T

This is all I have left: CUV1, BOV1, RIT1, BNC1, KET1, TPV1, MGC1, CJV1, KFT1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1

In your experience which of these courses the most easy?
    Got results back on Ket1, task 1. Passed with all 4's. Onto part B.

Still waiting on taskstream for tech writing.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Got results back on Ket1, task 1. Passed with all 4's. Onto part B.

Still waiting on taskstream for tech writing.

How was KET1 overall? How long did it take you? Did you put a lot of effort into it?
    @Psoasman - good job, man!

@dt3k - BNC1, MGC1
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @Psoasman - good job, man!

@dt3k - BNC1, MGC1

Thanks!
    VUT2 done, only FNV2 left for a term end of Feb. 28th. Depending on how FNV2 treats me I may try and pick up JIT2 as well, we'll see how things go.
    dt3k wrote: »
    How was KET1 overall? How long did it take you? Did you put a lot of effort into it?

I am not a fan of programming. I've been using lots of resources to get my head in this. I am pounding out task 2 now. I started working on it late October, before my current term expired, as I didn't want to risk not completing the course.