Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    coty24 wrote: »
    AWESOME!!!! TE Represent! Going to the ceremony in ATL?

Thanks man!! Yes, I am walking. DemonFurbie is as well.

You?
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    ericthetechericthetech Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All!

I am thinking about enrolling at WGU for my B.S. - IT. I was wondering what you all think about it? Did you enjoy your experience? What have been some frustrations? Would you recommend this school?

I am a very dedicated self learner, but I don't want to rush into an online school before I've talked with people who have gone through it already. I appreciate your responses and look forward to hearing back from you all!
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lol just search, there's a lot of info about this on the site. I will entertain your inquiry anyway:

I graduated from WGU.
    I like WGU, because it fits my situation and learning style.
    I would do it again, if I were to go back in time.
    If you aren't intrinsically motivated, I wouldn't enroll.
    If you ARE intrinsically motivated and have a lot of mental stamina, then go for it.
    The value is unparalleled if you can accellerate through the degree.
    It's accredited.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    I've been doing LOTS of research over the last few weeks and this seems like my choice. I just wanted to talk to someone who has already been through it.

Thank you joshmadakor. I am extremely excited to get started. What degree did you pursue and how long did it take you? I will have about 15-18 hours a week to dedicate to class work and I have been working in IT for about 4 years now. So I am hoping to skip through a few of the initial classes. :)
  • Options
    No problem!
    I transferred in 56 credits
    I completed 65 credits and had 5 weeks left in the term (Finished in 1 term)
    My program was the arguably the easiest one, the genera IT certification. The diploma says the same thing on it, no matter which track you take, so if you want to finish fast, there is no point in doing a difficult track.

Some things that helped me finish quickly:
    Take all of the industry certifications (non WGU exams) outside of WGU and transfer them in, as they take a long time to complete.
    Reserve all your time at WGU for WGU specific classes (non MS/Cisco exams).
    Once I figured out how to PROPERLY study for WGU tests, I was able to finish classes VERY quickly. (Usually each within a 2-week time period)

A final tip would be, don't underestimate WGU as it takes a lot energy and effort. I really forced myself through this and got a few grey facial hairs @ 28 years old :[
  • Options
    That is insanely fast! Any tips on how to PROPERLY study? I would love to go through classes that quickly. Has it landed you a better job? I will look into taking the ms/cisco exams on my own before I enroll. Hopefully that will speed up my process! Thanks josh.
  • Options
    I was already an ITS4 for the state before I got my degree, so nothing changed. No pay increase or anything. I'll send you a PM/Email about WGU class specific study habits.
  • Options
    cbolarcbolar Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just passed my pre-assessment for MGC1 with an 88%. Hopefully my mentor puts the test up so I can move on soon!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Grats ^^ glgl
  • Options
    cbolar wrote: »
    I just passed my pre-assessment for MGC1 with an 88%. Hopefully my mentor puts the test up so I can move on soon!icon_cheers.gif
    If you scored an 88%, I'm sure he/she will give you the go ahead.

WGU -

• Options
    Does anyone have the mentor with the initials E.W. ??

Awesome mentor!!

WGU -

• Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Finally got the go ahead for my first 70-640 attempt, 4 months of studying and labbing has taken its toll on my brain and my proliant server!
  • Options
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    Finally got the go ahead for my first 70-640 attempt, 4 months of studying and labbing has taken its toll on my brain and my proliant server!
    Good luck!! All the labbing will pay off!! Practical application is the key to MS exams. IMO

WGU -

• Options
    cbolarcbolar Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    Right on! Good luck with this exam, given your dedication I think you should do well.

My MGC1 request has been approved so now its time to schedule. Btw I'm noticing a lot of us are in Seattle or around it. :)
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    70-643 booked for next weekend. I just started on my LAT1 paper. I have my thesis statement and a folder filled with white pages for my sources. I will dig through them all tomorrow and write up my annotated bibliography so I can get Task 1 finished up.

I have also started preparing for my TWA1 and capstone paper. I don't think it will be too bad since I was lead on a major project involving the relocation of a vital test network (20+ servers, load balancers, SSL offloaders, databases, etc.) to a different facility. Anyone know if I omit the company name and exclude anything confidential can I skip having to get my employer to sign that release? It's a very large company so I suspect it might be a difficult process to get a release signed.

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. As soon as I finish these last classes this company is bringing me on as a salary employee with benefits. The req has been opened for my position and it has been tailored to my resume but they can't justify the $$$ I requested until I have a degree (HR formalities).
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just received my diploma from WGU in the mail today. Makes it official for me now. I've not studied anything for 8 days now and I'm starting to go into withdrawals..... I think I'll pick up the 642 again.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Just received my diploma from WGU in the mail today. Makes it official for me now. I've not studied anything for 8 days now and I'm starting to go into withdrawals..... I think I'll pick up the 642 again.
    How long did it take from the initial "YOU GRADUATED" email, until you got your diploma? How does it come mailed?

I received the email a few days ago and I'm wondering when I can get my paper :)
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey, all three of us finished this month! Go Team January!

I got my congrats e-mail on the 23rd, my diploma showed up two days later. It's mailed in one of those cardboard envelopes.
  • Options

I got my congrats e-mail on the 23rd, my diploma showed up two days later. It's mailed in one of those cardboard envelopes.

• Options
    I got my congrats email on the 18th and received the diploma today, so 10 days. The mail carrier was kind enough to not bend it and hang it on my front door :D I also got my 2 sealed official transcripts, too.
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was already an ITS4 for the state before I got my degree, so nothing changed. No pay increase or anything. I'll send you a PM/Email about WGU class specific study habits.

Could you do the same for me? Thanks!

Congratulations of the completion.

Also I like your input about completing the certifications first, then enroll into WGU to complete the WGU classes as opposed to also taking the non-WGU cert classes as it can take much longer to complete the program.
  • Options
    Santa_ wrote: »
    Could you do the same for me? Thanks!

Congratulations of the completion.

Also I like your input about completing the certifications first, then enroll into WGU to complete the WGU classes as opposed to also taking the non-WGU cert classes as it can take much longer to complete the program.
    Sure! I'll just copy and paste the email I originally sent :)
    I got my congrats email on the 18th and received the diploma today, so 10 days. The mail carrier was kind enough to not bend it and hang it on my front door :D I also got my 2 sealed official transcripts, too.
    Thanks sir. Actually mine came today, which was ultra fast shipping
  • Options
    AmonixAmonix Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to let you all know that after battling for the last few weeks I was accepted. I would have started in Feb. but I didn't get the acceptance email in my personal email but in the WGU email that I didn't check. I will be starting BS:IT - Security on March 1st. WOOHOOO!
  • Options

I received mine in the mail yesterday. Also 2 sealed transcripts! Received email Friday, here on Monday. icon_thumright.gif

*Edit...I've started working on my CCNA Voice.

WGU -

• Options

*4 of us! icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• Options
    Amonix wrote: »
    I just wanted to let you all know that after battling for the last few weeks I was accepted. I would have started in Feb. but I didn't get the acceptance email in my personal email but in the WGU email that I didn't check. I will be starting BS:IT - Security on March 1st. WOOHOOO!

Congrats & welcome!!

WGU -

• Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WFV1 - I am just about finished reading the provided source material to study for the exam. I am feeling like this is going to be a slam dunk. Am i being overly confident without having done more than the reading and skills mastery?
  • Options
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    WFV1 - I am just about finished reading the provided source material to study for the exam. I am feeling like this is going to be a slam dunk. Am i being overly confident without having done more than the reading and skills mastery?

What is WFV1 ? I don't have access to my Degree Plan anymore.

WGU -

• Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    What is WFV1 ? I don't have access to my Degree Plan anymore.

IT Fundamentals I = CIW Web Foundations Associate
  • Options
    This exam is easier than the CompTIA exams. If you actually read through all the study materials, you are more than prepared :D