Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Madmd5 wrote: »
    I have seen the B.S. IT - Network Administration at WGU and really it only requires two programming classes am i right? (BOV1, DFVI) So does this mean a career in networking administrating doesn't require the use of a lot of programming?

Ultimately it would depend on the specific job. For instance, your duties at Company A as a Network Admin might be different than your duties at Company B as a Network Admin. Of course there would be a lot of overlap.

With that said, in my experience most Network Admins do not have to do much programming. There is almost always programmers for those tasks, especially in corporate environments.

*Edit..To answer your question more specifically, it means a WGU degree with that emphasis doesn't require much programming.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    Amonix wrote: »
    Just curious, how hard was the math classes?

can anyone answer this one. I am interested as well.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bundiman wrote: »
    can anyone answer this one. I am interested as well.

That isnt something one person can answer. I hate math, english major prior to WGU. I skirted by with just geometry in my JC and struggled with it because i dont do homework or participate in class much.
  • Options
    AmonixAmonix Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Admittedly math is my worse subject. I barely passed the College Algebra (I guessed a lot). I was diagnosed with a learning disability and during high school I was exempted from the state standardized testing due to my lack of ability in math. I refuse to let this impact my future and will do whatever it takes to be successful. Even if my head has to meet a wall :-p.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Post # 5646 is mine! i finally read all of the thread and feel i am worthy of posting.

I started on January 1st. I transfered in 3 credits out of the 40+ i took at another regionally accredited online college. My story here will be basically from 0 to finish as i came in with 0 certs, although i have taken 3 A+ courses, 3 windows 7 courses, 2 CCNA courses and a few other it courses in high school and college combined.

So far I have taken WFV1(Jan 17th) and AGC1(Feb 1st) and passed both. My other two classes i have open right now are CLC1 Critical Thinking and COV1 CCENT. Going to accelerate it a bit soon and add most of the certs, as I need them to bolster my resume in case i get outsourced.
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wgu bs it = done
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    mbarra wrote: »
    Wgu bs it = done
    Congrats
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Wgu bs it = done
    congrats
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Congratulations!
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wgu bs it = done

Congrats and job well done.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed the 70-643 this weekend with an 850! All I have left is 70-647, LAT1, Tech Writing and Capstone. I am feeling pretty good about tech writing and capstone since I just finished leading a huge project to relocate a TR-069 test network to a new facility. I could probably fill half of the paper just explaining what TR-069 is, lol.

Just so I am clear, the tech writing course is the project proposal and the capstone paper is the project execution, correct? I would assume there isn't a whole lot of added work once the proposal is completed or am I under-estimating this?
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I'm wrapping up my first class and it's even better than I thought. The reason I'm posting however is during the weekly call my mentor really seemed to like a study aid I've been using. No idea if she actually liked it or was trying to be encouraging, but either way I figure I'd pass it along in case someone else could use it.

Just before I started class I moved to a new house and was able to set up an office space. Besides a big desk I wanted a large whiteboard or two, but at office supply stores and what not even the smaller ones can be in the 50$ price range, the size I'd like being closer to 100-150$. However, I was told about a paneling at home improvement stores that has the same surface as a whiteboard. I was able to get two 8 ft x 4 ft wall paneling that are pretty much exactly like a whiteboard for ~15$ a piece. They may not look as nice but they get the job done a lot cheaper.

Anyone else have any office tips that can help with studying?
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Just so I am clear, the tech writing course is the project proposal and the capstone paper is the project execution, correct? I would assume there isn't a whole lot of added work once the proposal is completed or am I under-estimating this?

My mentor described it like this - Tech writing is the pre, Capstone is the post.
    75% of the work between the two is the tech writing.
  • Options
    Reseven wrote: »
    My mentor described it like this - Tech writing is the pre, Capstone is the post.
    75% of the work between the two is the tech writing.

Thanks. I have been nervous about these papers since I first enrolled but now I am feeling quite confident that it won't be too bad.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Definitely look at the sample ones in the capstone archive.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    AmonixAmonix Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wgu bs it = done

Congrats! What's next?
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Complete MS Certs for 2008
  • Options
    Course mentor just approved the idea paper for my project. Time to get writing! I have a full-time position with benefits waiting for me at the finish line so I am ready to get this degree completed.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Passed FNV2 today. Really not impressed with the quality of that test at all. That rounds out my term, which ends at the end of this month. Would have liked to have gone faster and done more, but moving and a new job kinda killed that ambition. Now that i'm settled in and back on things, I plan on finishing up next term. Will start studying for FMV2 tomorrow, from what I hear it's of a similar level of difficulty to FNV2.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @mbarra - congrats and good luck on the Server 2008 exams. I see you are a man of less words and more action - 37 posts since 2007 - the very definition of laconic.

@Hypntick - congrats and good luck on the new course!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Got my notification of evaluation complete for tech writing today.

Capstone is about one third of the way done. I hope to get it done before the end of next week.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Wgu bs it = done

Congrats!! Feels good huh! icon_thumright.gif

I walked today!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    so did i .... i looked for ya i didnt see ya
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Does anyone else dislike the WileyPlus material for the Windows 7 exam?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gratz on all the recent passes.

I just finished up Leadership (very close) and have Finance and the Capstone left before I get my MBA. I can't wait.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TFT2 Task 1 is now in the books. I'm working on the second task as I type this. It's similar to the first task. So I shouldn't have too much trouble with it.
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Passed FNV2 today. Really not impressed with the quality of that test at all. That rounds out my term, which ends at the end of this month. Would have liked to have gone faster and done more, but moving and a new job kinda killed that ambition. Now that i'm settled in and back on things, I plan on finishing up next term. Will start studying for FMV2 tomorrow, from what I hear it's of a similar level of difficulty to FNV2.

Did you find the exam too difficult for your tastes? Did you just not like the content itself? I find myself curious because I will start studying for that exam tonight. Congratulations on the pass, BTW! icon_cheers.gif
    N2IT wrote: »
    Gratz on all the recent passes.

I just finished up Leadership (very close) and have Finance and the Capstone left before I get my MBA. I can't wait.

Nice work! icon_cheers.gif I'm guessing you'll have this finished up within a few months.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    Psoasman wrote: »
    If you have an Associates, that should clear a lot of courses. Mine cleared all the MTA's for example. At this point, either emphasis would probably work for you.

I haVE A AS but I haven't been to school in at least 15 years so I'm debating whether to go for it or not due to the fact that if I fail I owe these guys.

I have no idea how hard the coursework is.
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so did i .... i looked for ya i didnt see ya

I saw talked to you @demonfurbie but not @nolaj; where were you? I thought we talked loud enough about TE for everyone to hear lol

I walked too! My wife says they missed me on the jumbotron lol
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    amcnow wrote: »
    Did you find the exam too difficult for your tastes? Did you just not like the content itself? I find myself curious because I will start studying for that exam tonight. Congratulations on the pass, BTW! icon_cheers.gif

My issue actually was the level of difficulty not being high enough. For a cert that is $600 bucks on its own, part of the DOD 8570 requirements for certain positions, and has the term of hacker used in its title, I just expected more from it. I built up a VM lab and started running a lot of the attacks that I found in the study material, used the tools that the official iLab materials cover, and spent quite a few hours studying further in depth, I just expected it to be considerably more difficult. Not to say that I regret over-studying, it'll help when I want to do ecppt or OSCP. I just figured a cert in a masters degree would be harder than a comptia test. icon_scratch.gif

Maybe i'm expecting a bit much out of it, oh well, on to the next!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.