Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks!

I resubmitted my Technical Writing paper this morning along with LAT1 Task 2 and 3.

Both LAT1 tasks have been evaluated and accepted! I expect to see the same for TWA1 shortly.

It doesn't look like Capstone will take very long to knock out once TWA1 is accepted. My mentor says this usually only takes 1 - 2 weeks (so I assume it's really 1-2 days).

I can't wait to get started on MSISA. I think I need to knock out my CCNA first based on the admission requirements listed. I had my mentor setup an appointmnet with the Graduate program's enrollment councelor so I can find out for sure.

Good luck on your capstone Purple.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Good luck to both of you, I'm still having trouble with my transfer into the Network Admin track, once that's done I'll retake my 70-642. Then start studying for my remaining course's including the Cisco ones now, hopefully I can get it all taken care of this semester...
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Thanks!

I resubmitted my Technical Writing paper this morning along with LAT1 Task 2 and 3.

Both LAT1 tasks have been evaluated and accepted! I expect to see the same for TWA1 shortly.

That's great; hopefully you have the pass by the time you read this.
    It doesn't look like Capstone will take very long to knock out once TWA1 is accepted. My mentor says this usually only takes 1 - 2 weeks (so I assume it's really 1-2 days).

I can't wait to get started on MSISA. I think I need to knock out my CCNA first based on the admission requirements listed. I had my mentor setup an appointmnet with the Graduate program's enrollment councelor so I can find out for sure.

Good luck on your capstone Purple.

Thanks.

I think it depends on how much work you want to put into it to show what you did vs. what you planned.

I have to admit I have done a lot of copy and pasting, but now I am going in and filling in some blanks to explain what actually happened and why. I hope to finish my first draft tomorrow afternoon, edit Tuesday night and again on Wednesday and submit late Wednesday or Thursday morning.

I want to be done and pass the class before Saturday, that will mean I did my 30 credits with 5 weeks to spare!
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    That's great; hopefully you have the pass by the time you read this.

Thanks.

I think it depends on how much work you want to put into it to show what you did vs. what you planned.

I have to admit I have done a lot of copy and pasting, but now I am going in and filling in some blanks to explain what actually happened and why. I hope to finish my first draft tomorrow afternoon, edit Tuesday night and again on Wednesday and submit late Wednesday or Thursday morning.

I want to be done and pass the class before Saturday, that will mean I did my 30 credits with 5 weeks to spare!

My main concern is that my project doesn't really have any tangable deliverables that I can include. It was for a relocation of a server farm to a new office. This wasn't an issue for the proposal, I just described what was being delivered. I just hope that is enough for the capstone.
    WGU PROGRESS

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My main concern is that my project doesn't really have any tangable deliverables that I can include. It was for a relocation of a server farm to a new office. This wasn't an issue for the proposal, I just described what was being delivered. I just hope that is enough for the capstone.

I think you'll be fine. Are there any improvements? Security? Optimization? Convenience? Try to emphasize the positives of the server farm move. If the Tech writing proposal is accepted, then you'll be good to go for the capstone.

As Psoasman said, if it was approved for the proposal I think you will be fine.

Emphasising the positive as he mentioned is a good approach, but don't be afraid of the negatives. Talk about challenges and changes and how you reacted. Obviously I haven't turned mine in yet, but it seems they want to see how you interacted with the project.
    What next, what next...
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Financial Analysis is finally over. All I have left is the capstone course and then I will gain my MBA. This has been over a year worth of effort but hopefully it's finally coming to a close.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Financial Analysis is finally over. All I have left is the capstone course and then I will gain my MBA. This has been over a year worth of effort but hopefully it's finally coming to a close.

Woohoo! Way to go man!!!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    T how are your studies going?
    My TWA1 revision took a lot longer for them to grade than my original submission but it has been accepted so time to knock out capstone and the final two LAT1 tasks.

Also, I spoke with the MSISA enrollment councilor and I meet admissions requirements (even though the page says a CCNA or CISSP are required). I plan to take a few months off and start the Master's in Aug or Sept.
    WGU PROGRESS

• JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got the humanities courses out of the way. Took 3 weeks for both classes combined. Actually took 2 weeks since I had to schedule the exam 5 days out in advance. The essay took me an hour to write and the PowerPoint took me 30 minutes. I had to revise each one time. The rubric style grading is awesome as it told me exactly what was missing. So that took roughly a week to get done. Most of my time was spent waiting.

im glad those classes are out of my way.
    N2IT wrote: »
    T how are your studies going?

Slowly this term, QLT1 (math) has been kicking my but and I'm going to have a few non completes this term due to medical issues. The school has been good to work with about the problems though. Thanks for asking man!
    Thanks, Tom

T Anytime! Keep grinding away you'll get there and it will feel great.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Okay after a couple of weeks of doing not much of anything, time to get back on it. Going to try and knock out all 4 tasks of FYT2 this weekend, none of them are extremely complex. After that, Capstone. My IT governance and CISSP books came in so I can study for the FYV2 and complete it this term. My mentor is pushing me to finish before the end of June, not sure if that'll happen due to projects at work and some vacation time i've got coming up. We'll see.

Edit: First 2 tasks submitted, working on number 3. Don't think i'll finish out all 4 this evening, will more than likely be tomorrow or Tuesday. Oh well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    I took about 4 days to write my capstone after getting my technical writing grade and submitted it on Thursday night. Given that it is almost the end of the month I didn't think I would my results in 8 hours like I did for tech writing, but I was really hoping to have it graded before the weekend was over. I knew I would get an email once it was evaluated, but that didn't stop me from signing into taskstream and checking for a score every couple of hours.

The score finally came in at 7:30 this morning (a 3.84) and I am DONE.

5 months, 30 CUs and more than a little cussing, but I am done...

Now the resume building and job hunting begins.
    What next, what next...
    Congratulations PurpleIT!
    Thanks, Tom

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□

That's amazing, congrats! Did you have a lot of experience in the coursework to finish that quickly? I'm just waiting for my intake interview and hoping I get a lot of credits from my past courses to see what I have ahead of me.
    Congratulations PurpleIT!

Thanks! It looks like you are getting close yourself.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    That's amazing, congrats! Did you have a lot of experience in the coursework to finish that quickly? I'm just waiting for my intake interview and hoping I get a lot of credits from my past courses to see what I have ahead of me.

Yeah, I have about 14 years in IT and most of the classes I had to take were related to things I had purposefully avoided up to this point because I don't like them. .Net development, JavaScript, Project+, etc... On one hand it was good that I felt I had more experience than I needed for a lot of the classes, but on the other hand, it meant I was almost solely focused on things I really disliked.

You will have subjects you either dislike or flat out hate in almost any program, but mine consisted almost exclusively of them. The one surprise was JavaScript; it was kinda fun and while I won't be running out and getting a book to study it on my own it did open my eyes to the possibility that not all programming has to suck.
    What next, what next...
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @Purple - Congrats to you!
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I took about 4 days to write my capstone after getting my technical writing grade and submitted it on Thursday night. Given that it is almost the end of the month I didn't think I would my results in 8 hours like I did for tech writing, but I was really hoping to have it graded before the weekend was over. I knew I would get an email once it was evaluated, but that didn't stop me from signing into taskstream and checking for a score every couple of hours.

The score finally came in at 7:30 this morning (a 3.84) and I am DONE.

Now the resume building and job hunting begins.

congrats
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    @ Purple nice work!
    Congrats Purple! I will be trailing shorly behind you. I should have my capstone submitted this week.

WGU got a bit of a shout out from Bill Gates in a recent speech. Bill Gates On Education: "We Can Make Massive Strides" | Fast Company | Business + Innovation
    WGU PROGRESS

• HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats Purple!

FYT2 update, first 3 tasks submitted. About halfway through task 4, however going through a Hyper-V cluster migration right now, so not sure when i'll be able to pick it back up. Hope to finish it out by the end of the week, luckily i've got plenty of time for everything i've got left and will be able to finish up by the end of this term.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just got word that all the program changes are going to take up to 10 days to take effect. This means I can't start my next term until then. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    You should still be able to start taking classes that aren't being changed. Otherwise that pooh!
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Second month in and I just finished up my AAV lol. 4 classes.

Doing ICND1 now. Might take the rest of the semester to get my CCNA, but other then that, there will be no more huge hurdles as this, with the exception of CCNA security and the capstone.
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I posted this in another thread but wanted it here as well.

Not sure what has changes in two weeks since I took my CLC1 exam, but when I completed my INC1 exam it did not tell me if I passed or failed just that WGU would have my scores for the exam. Anyone else have this issue?
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • fendralfendral Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bundiman wrote: »

Not sure what has changes in two weeks since I took my CLC1 exam, but when I completed my INC1 exam it did not tell me if I passed or failed just that WGU would have my scores for the exam. Anyone else have this issue?

I had the same thing happen when I took INC1 back in June of last year, and It was the only test I had that did that. I passed by over 15 points but it still scared the crap out of me when that came up. According to my mentor that test has a lot of failures and they decided not to instantly release the scores.

I think it took a day or two for the scores to show up in the portal, but they were a nerve-wracked few days.
    B.S. IT - Security : Transferred|Required|In Progress|Completed
    LAE1 AGC1 BBC1 CNV1 AXV1 CPV1 DJV1 INT1 COV1 CQV1 QLT1 BVC1 (39CU)
    TPV1 CSV1 SBT1 RGT1 (17CU)
    KFT1 RIT1 IWT1 (9CU)
    CLC1 KET1 CTV1 WFV1 MGC1 CVV1 INC1 LUT1 CUV1 BOV1 DFV1 CJV1 BNC1 DHV1 IWC1 HHT1 GAC1 QBT1 (57CU)
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Does anyone have any info on the two new courses (EUC1 and EUP1) that are replacing DFV1?
  • fendralfendral Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    And on the same thread as DPG, does anyone have information on the new java courses? (specifically the KFT1 replacement) still waiting on my program change to go through for that and the Linux+
    B.S. IT - Security : Transferred|Required|In Progress|Completed
    LAE1 AGC1 BBC1 CNV1 AXV1 CPV1 DJV1 INT1 COV1 CQV1 QLT1 BVC1 (39CU)
    TPV1 CSV1 SBT1 RGT1 (17CU)
    KFT1 RIT1 IWT1 (9CU)
    CLC1 KET1 CTV1 WFV1 MGC1 CVV1 INC1 LUT1 CUV1 BOV1 DFV1 CJV1 BNC1 DHV1 IWC1 HHT1 GAC1 QBT1 (57CU)