Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• EmberEmber Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    You're not the only one that complains about the java courses. So far everyone I have spoken to that has taken it really disliked the way it was organized, and it caused a lot of confusion.

For those of you having difficulty with Java you should try going to youtube and watching the Stanford University lectures there. The instructor does a really great job on the material.
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Yeah my undergrad capstone was done in a period of 6 hours. I imagine this one shouldn't take much longer, my motivation is just dead. I would love to take this weekend and knock it out, however the ERP system at one of the clients we support is going live at one of their plants. Have to be available in case all of the prep work we've done is for nothing. Just bad timing of projects and school stuff I guess.

I can relate to this lately. I finally finished QBT1 after toying with it for almost 4 months. My mentor called it "the widow maker" because so many students struggle with QBT1. 5 tasks for only 3 CUs is absolutely ridiculous and the mentor agreed that it needs to be reevaluated. Plus writing in general is a drag; it's the reason everybody in IT despises writing documentation I think.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    djfunz,

I am living the hell that is QBT1 right now. I have 5 of my 10 sources annotated for task 1 and its feels like pulling teeth. I think I would rather go through DFV1 again. Looking at the rubric this looks like the worst part. Will others please comment and let me know if my feeling is correct?
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Me too (LAT1), I've been working on it longer that I care to remember and mine is only 2 CU's. On the plus side I was able to get QLT1 and ORC1 done in a few weeks.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    Bundiman wrote: »
    djfunz,

I am living the hell that is QBT1 right now. I have 5 of my 10 sources annotated for task 1 and its feels like pulling teeth. I think I would rather go through DFV1 again. Looking at the rubric this looks like the worst part. Will others please comment and let me know if my feeling is correct?

I used BibMe: Fast & Easy Bibliography Maker - MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian - Free to get me through Task 1. You'll need to speak to your course mentor for this course. Their input is helpful to guide you through. Turnitin is also hell because it's not always indicative of plagiarism. Task 4 will take a ton of time too. You have to show all your markups and corrections. Good luck.
  • azjeepazjeep Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on WGU and enroll in the BS Network Administration program.

I have spotty college experience so I am guessing I will get about 1 class to transfer.(SQL programming from 2012).

Other than that, I will be starting from scratch. I read a great deal of the postings on this tread and it sounds pretty good.
    I have an A+, but it was from 2006...so I am guessing it wont transfer.

My question is where in the program is the CCNA going to be needed? Halfway? 1st year?

This is a much more informative thread than I found anywhere else. Thanks guys.
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I answered you in the other thread where you already asked the same question. Courses can be taken in any order approved by your mentor.
  • azjeepazjeep Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just saw that. Sorry I thought the other thread didnt get as much attention and my preferences werent set to notify me when someone responds to a post. Fixed now. Thanks for the replies.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm curious if any of you WGU grads have attempted to go grad school at a traditional university (MS or PhD)?
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not a WGU grad (yet) but several members of this board are and have gone to B&M grad schools, I'm sure someone will chime in. Do you have concerns?
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm curious if any of you WGU grads have attempted to go grad school at a traditional university (MS or PhD)?

My brother got a BS at WGU and then got his MBA at Villanova University.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok. Cool. I wondered about the transferability of the courses. I already have a graduate degree from UT in Information Systems and I'm thinking about getting a second masters degree in Information Security and then possibly a PhD.icon_cheers.gif
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    djfunz wrote: »
    Plus writing in general is a drag; it's the reason everybody in IT despises writing documentation I think.

I love writing documentation, best part of my day is throwing on my headphones and smashing the keyboard until i have a finished document worthy of my previous mentor.
  • sethmosethmo Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am going to finish up my Associate of Science degree on 8/4/2013. How does the application process work? I need to wait until I am finished with my AS degree before I apply correct? How long after applying before I can start taking classes? I would like to start WGU this fall if possible.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, and even look forward to the Java class that everyone seems to complain about. Can't wait to get started taking courses pertaining knowledge relevant to my skillset. Other than the Math and Science classes I have been taking, every other class has been a chore and a pain in my side!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It depends on how fast they can process your application. If you applied, got all your transcripts and other documentation in by August 18, you may be able to start by Sept 1, but that may be pushing it. I'd take a look at the admissions requirements.

Your AS should transfer in, clearing a lot of the lower level courses.
    sethmo wrote: »
    I am going to finish up my Associate of Science degree on 8/4/2013. How does the application process work? I need to wait until I am finished with my AS degree before I apply correct? How long after applying before I can start taking classes? I would like to start WGU this fall if possible.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, and even look forward to the Java class that everyone seems to complain about. Can't wait to get started taking courses pertaining knowledge relevant to my skillset. Other than the Math and Science classes I have been taking, every other class has been a chore and a pain in my side!

New sessions start every month too so worst case you don't get it all ready in time it would only be another month until you can start.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3.88 on Capstone. My graduation application has been submitted!
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »

Congrats! What a wonderful feeling!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□

nice ....
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    That is awesome. It has to be a great feeling to be done. When I get there i wont care if I pass with a 3.0 as long as I pass :)
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. It feels great to be finished. Since Atlanta is closer to home and family, I'm skipping the summer ceremony and walking in the winter one instead. I'm going to take a few months off and get started on the MSISA in the Fall. While I wait, I'm going to knock out ICND1.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

Congrats! It's a great feeling.
  • CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to say that WGU so far has been a great experience for me; my first semester will be ending at the end of May, and I was able to complete 46 credits. I wanted to complete a few more at the end, but I think I can knock out 3 courses within the first week of the next semester. I hope to be able to graduate by September.

I have a question, what month is the Winter graduation ceremony?

I have another question (it was probably mentioned): WGU is going to be splitting KET1 and KFT1 into 2 courses each, and I wanted to know if it would be better to have the original (only 2 courses), or do the new type (4 courses). Thank you.
    I have another question (it was probably mentioned): WGU is going to be splitting KET1 and KFT1 into 2 courses each, and I wanted to know if it would be better to have the original (only 2 courses), or do the new type (4 courses). Thank you.

Wait, what? This won't affect current students will it? I certainly don't want two additional courses added to my degree plan.
    It wont become four classes it will still remain just two. They are reworking those two classes.
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I'm currently working on DJV1 to wrap up my 2nd term. For my 3rd/4th term I was looking for some suggestions on which order to complete my remaining courses. Below is how it is listed in my degree plan.

BOV1 Web Programming
    KET1 Introduction to Programming
    MGC1 Principles of Management

KFT1 Object Oriented Design and Development
    TPV1 Project Management
    SBT1 Technical Writing
    QZT1 IT Capstone Written Project
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Term 3: MGC1, TPV1, BOV1, KET1
    Term 4: KFT1, SBT1, QZT1

MGC1 is easier than TPV1 and has some topics in common with it. BOV1 is easier than the 2 Java courses and serves as an introduction to programming concepts.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
  • Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    Is it true that only a fourth of students graduate from wgu?

I still want advice if this school is suitable for people with no experience in the field.

Do they have a free competency test that I can take so I can get a feel for the coursework before I sign up?
    Main Event wrote: »
    Is it true that only a fourth of students graduate from wgu?

I still want advice if this school is suitable for people with no experience in the field.

Do they have a free competency test that I can take so I can get a feel for the coursework before I sign up?

You show as having an A+ certification, I'm not sure that qualifies as no experience at all, unless you mean on the job experience.