Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Main Event wrote: »
    Is it true that only a fourth of students graduate from wgu?

I still want advice if this school is suitable for people with no experience in the field.

Do they have a free competency test that I can take so I can get a feel for the coursework before I sign up?

have you ever done any college before applying, wgu is like no other school
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    Health informatics is what I'm going for. I don't have experience in the Medical field, I'm just inquiring about the coursework. I has a AS from early 2000.

Looking at my transcript it seems I have less than 12 classes to get my BS.
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm back after another hiatus from TechExams. So much went on this term. I felt it difficult to keep up with school. My brother fell on hard times. Helping him out ate into the first half of my term. Then I came up with the bright idea of buying my first home (closed on it yesterday icon_cheers.gif). That process ate into the second half of my term.

With all that said, I still made 75% SAP (same as last term). This was a disappointment my previous (first) term. Given all that's happened so far this year, I consider this a win for this (my second) term. Earning my CEH cert made things that much sweeter.

I requested a 3 month break from school (the max to avoid temp withdrawal). This allows me time to finish my MCITP, catch up on COV2 and JIT2, and get comfortable in my new home. Obviously, my goal for next term is 100% SAP. icon_cool.gif
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • HauntHaunt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Question for those who have completed CUV1 Web Technologies:

Did the cert exam have a lot of questions on Adobe Flash Pro CS5? I'm currently on lesson 24 and will be moving onto lessons 25-29 which are heavy on Flash and I'm wondering if you guys found it necessary to even go through those lessons? A lot of you said that the cert exam mainly focuses on the material from lesson 1-16 so I'm wondering if it's even worth going through the rest of the lessons in detail like I did the previous ones (I feel like I wasted time going through lessons 17-24). Any thoughts?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My exam had quite a few flash questions. I would at least read through the material for it.
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    Haunt wrote: »
    Question for those who have completed CUV1 Web Technologies:

Did the cert exam have a lot of questions on Adobe Flash Pro CS5? I'm currently on lesson 24 and will be moving onto lessons 25-29 which are heavy on Flash and I'm wondering if you guys found it necessary to even go through those lessons? A lot of you said that the cert exam mainly focuses on the material from lesson 1-16 so I'm wondering if it's even worth going through the rest of the lessons in detail like I did the previous ones (I feel like I wasted time going through lessons 17-24). Any thoughts?

I would focus on the two tween types. If you go back and look at the course of study it suggest you go through 1-16 and 30-34. Do the others if you want to learn them.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi Alums/geeks,
    I started my first class today WFV1, its basic IT stuff. Since I have some free time at work to study,
    how quick do you think I can knock this out and move onto the next class?

Thanks
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Hrmm been procrastinating a lot more than working since I started WGU. Today I finished up my A+ took the 702 on Wednesday and today was the 701. Failed the CCENT and have decided to move on to a different program. I am choosing to switch to the regular BSIT program from the BSIT network admin track. Right now I have 3 weeks left in the term, but plan on holding off any more classes. After I failed the CCENT I had to submit my score report and explanation to the course mentor, he was supposed to get back to me with what he wanted me to do to prove I was ready for a second chance at taking the test. To date he hasn't done that, and its been about 3 weeks. This term was considered a wash a long time ago, but I still was able to finish up with 17 credits not including the 3 or 4 I transferred in.
    @joneno - the WFV1 is a mix of A, N, and S+ stuff. Couple of weeks should be enough. Brush up on the HTML and you'll be good. I used the site below to brush up on the HTML, practicing the code.

CIW Foundations Study Notes
  • TrowaSyelTrowaSyel Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a WGU student, but most of this will be CCNA related.

My third term begins July 1st. (Woo, one year completed!) The new CCNA courses for the 100 exams won't be ready until sometime in August. The current exams stop being offered after September 30th. Should I attempt to pass the old ICND1 before it expires in September, then take the 100 ICND2 after? Should I hold off on the CCNA and knock out all of these lower level courses / project management / database / etc?

Additionally, will I need to buy equipment for these CCNA courses, or does WGU have access to a bunch of electronic stuff that doesn't require physical equipment?
  • nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started WFV1 on June 1st and I am schedule to test the 12th.( I could have done Monday if not for scheduling conflicts with work. Anyone done BVC1 Geography? What is the final assessment for it like?
    Hi Nerdin,
    I also started June 1st, what is your major? And how many classes did you transfer, if any?
    Maybe we can push each other across the finish line. lol
    Thanks psoasman! That is a helpful link, now I know what to concentrate on.
    Much appreciated.
    Hey Joneno,
    I am enrolled in the Network Admin path. I transferred in 55 credits, all from certifications. How about yourself?
  • cnote75cnote75 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, excited to be starting July 1. I am enrolled in Network Admin path. Transferred in 59 cu's from AAS in Network Admin. Starting out with CSV1, CTV1 and TPV1. Planning to cert out of all since i have been studying for them and already took project management course during aas degree.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Capstone Prospectus has been graded and is a pass, did my outline for my oral defense and slide deck, currently 28 pages into the Capstone report. I don't want to write anymore /whine.

Edit to update: 38 pages, working on my cost/benefit analysis and risk matrix. I've got so much done, but it just looks like there's so much more to do. At the current rate of progression, maybe Wednesday I can submit. Although if it gets kicked back for revision i'm going to cry.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    Hi Nerdin,
    I'm in the Net Admin track too. I transferred 54 credits and I really would love to push myself to get it done in 2 semesters at least.
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Hypntick - Suck it up! You're almost there. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    So I got my transcript evaluation in (again) for BSIT. It was revised a little since the last one a couple months ago, due to some class changes at WGU. I had 81 competency units transfer before, this time 82. I still have 40 units to complete, however I have 12 classes remaining now instead of the prior 10 (which is fine!)... Looking forward to starting July 1st!
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Nice. Looking at your course load, I'd say you should be able to finish in a year.
    My goal is 2 semesters as well. Trying to prepare for the CIW 610 today and tomorrow while tinkering with Geography. I am scheduled to test the CIW on Wednesday morning.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Nice. Looking at your course load, I'd say you should be able to finish in a year.

That would be my goal! I work full time, but work from home so I should be able to get in a good amount of studying!
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    Just passed BBC1 sleeping.gif... Need to start somewhere right, right?!?!?

Next on the list is WFV1...
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
    Capstone report submitted, just waiting on the grading. All that's left is the PowerPoint and presentation and the capstone will be done. Then on to the beast that is the G2700!
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    Sirbloody,

I would work on LAE1 sooner then later. My mentor said they are changing it to a 4 task class instead of a simple 1 task Essay.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
    I am signed up for it this term, would that affect anything?
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    @Sirbloody from my understanding of things, even when a class change takes place, if it is in your AAV and approved for this term the change does not apply to you. That's the situation with my FYV2, they changed it into 2 different classes, but since i'm enrolled already I get to go with the old method. You may want to check with student services to be 100% certain however.
    Thanks for the updates, I emailed my mentor to she what she says about it.
    This came from my mentor;

Yes, it is being replaced by a new course in July. This won’t affect you as you are already enrolled in the LAE1 course this term. You may continue with the LAE1 course as it is shown in your degree plan.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well gentlemen, I'm officially done with WGU. I took my last exam, DFV1 (third time is the charm), and passed.

Honestly, I expected to complete my bachelor's of science in IT Net Admin in one term, since I transferred in 90ish credits. However, life sort of took over. I have an infant daughter who was born with congenital heart disease.

I planned on starting WGU in the fall of 2011. But my dear daughter ended up having her second open-heart surgery around then. So, I waited until she was stabilized and out of the hospital.

Fast Forward to 2012, and I started my first term last June. Honestly, my mind wasn't in the right place. My Layla was in the midst of heart failure. As much as I wanted to complete my degree in one term, I couldn't as my motivation/focus wasn't there. My only stress reliever during that time was escaping into work and moving at a brisk pace to keep my mind off of the situation. Every time I'd try to focus on my studies, it was difficult. Before my daughter's birth, I was an extremely motivated self studier.

Anyways, I ended up coming to the end of my first term still needing to complete DFV1. Programming and web development isn't my forte'. I only had a week or two to complete the exam, so I tried to go into the exam without studying. I failed. I then tried again a few day before the term was over and the same thing happened. But it was definitely my fault, since I didn't want to crack open the book or do the labs (again my aversion to the material and lack of motivation).

I started my second term in March. My daughter, post heart transplant, is now out of the hospital. But I was still not crazy about the material. But slowly, I read the material. Then I did the Measure Up questions (which definitely help A lot).

I wasn't confident walking into the exam, but I managed to eek by with a victory.

The one thing that is reiterated over and over again is WGU is definitely a great school for a self-motivated person. I guess the "cool" thing is you can pass classes based on competency. I think it's a great school for the older crowd. I think for a younger person, I'd advise the brick and mortar, since college is half about the "experience." For an older person, they're pursuing the degree as a stepping stone or check box for higher job prospects. All of that partying/social experience, class room debate, etc is fluff.

This is my second bachelor's degree. I'm probably going to take a year off from school to pursue a few Cisco (since my CCNP/CCDP expires next year) and other vendor certs. The decision will then be on if I'll continue at WGU or pursue my Master's at another school.

Good luck to everyone who is currently going after that piece of paper. And definitely spread the word about WGU to your peers. I respect the school a lot more than Univ of Phoenix or Devry (but not knocking their hustle).