Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• WordProfessionalWordProfessional Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I heard this was one of the best information security colleges in the nation. I was considering going there but I heard the company was designed around it professionals but I am not going there as it professional but just to start my career.
  • LugzLugz Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I heard this was one of the best information security colleges in the nation. I was considering going there but I heard the company was designed around it professionals but I am not going there as it professional but just to start my career.

This is a concern of mine as well. I'm still not sure if WGU is designed for a student to learn the skills necessary to BECOME a professional, or if it's for established IT professionals that are simply needing a way to pad their resume so they can advance their careers.
  • RoflawfulRoflawful Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lugz wrote: »
    Currently enrolled at American Public University following the Information Systems Security degree path. This is my 2nd semester, and I've established that I do not want to be a security professional. Quite frankly it's boring as hell, and I have no way to really practice what I'm learning. Everything is theory...everything. The labs are nothing more than point and click affairs, with no explanation or overview of why I'm doing the things I'm doing in the lab.

So I'm now fully committed to switching over to WGU, hopefully beginning in November. I want to do the Software emphasis Degree path, but I have a couple questions.

1: I have zero programming experience...none. I did some self taught HTML/CSS stuff a couple years ago, but nothing close to real programming languages. Do I stand a chance? Does the degree expect me to be an Web Development Master along with 3 or 4 programming languages under my belt?

2: Is the course more "active"? What I mean by that is, that I'm sick and tired of theory. I want to be DOING things.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Lugz,

I just started IT software on 8/1. There are some programming projects, but they are not terribly involved. The curriculum is much more test-oriented than project oriented. The tests, however, tend to have a lot of "look at this code and figure out what it does/why its broken" - so you will need to have some understanding of programming to get through it.

I've been programming since I was about 11, so I'm breezing through those courses, and my experience will be different than yours. If you want to get a big head start, start experimenting and learning Javascript. It will give you a feel for the programming flow without jumping in too quickly. HTML/CSS are good to know, and you will be tested on them in the program, but they are considered markup languages, not programming languages, and function very differently.

I will tell you that the best way to learn to code is to do it. Getting through this program will not make you a good programmer - you will pick up the fundamentals, but experience is king.

If you are serious about starting WGU IT software, I'd suggest getting on www.udacity.com and taking some of the beginner computer science/programming courses. Those courses force a lot more interaction (do a section, write some code, do a section, write some code) - whereas WGU is geared mostly towards passing a test - both methods are important in their own way, but the former will better help you progress as a coder.

Hope this was helpful!
  • -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    Hypntick wrote: »

Wooooaahhhhhh. Is this real life???

40 page paper? For a BS??????

Hopefully this is for the MS.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hypntick is referring to the capstone for the M.S. in Information Security and Assurance.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep, although my undergrad was around 30, MS was around 60. I've seen undergrad papers in the capstone repository that hit 70+ pages and MS ones that hit over 100. Just depends on how much depth you care to go into.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    Yep, although my undergrad was around 30, MS was around 60.

What the minimum length?
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i think my undergrad was about 35~40 my grad should be about 100~120 as im told my the person who will be grading it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    Damn that's brutal!! I've never heard of 30+ page papers, besides in Grad School.

I guess i'll have to tackle that beast when time comes.
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @demonfurbie - 100-120 pages is basically a dissertation. Many thesis papers don't even come close to that. A capstone certainly shouldn't, even for a master's degree. Achieving that much depth voluntarily is one thing. If my facilitator expects that much from me, then we're going to have problems.

@-hype - 20-30 pages is the norm for undergrad. With that said, going a little over 30 isn't unusual.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i think it depends on which masters your enrolled in ... the network masters is more of a paperwork degree so she expects more of a paper on a wider range of topics
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • tekalontekalon Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My BS Capstone was only 24 pages, and that included the appendixes filled with pictures. Like others said, it depends on what your project is and how you write it. They give you examples and templates to the set up of the paper that helps you know what to write. Following the template I had to repeat information over and over that filled up the pages faster than if I just had to sit down and write. Make sure you get your project approve and start taking pictures/screenshots and write down each step of the process while you do the project. When you are done, it will only be copy and paste and a few sentences explaining what happened. It looks harder than it really is and once you sit down and do it, it will fly by.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My MSISA capstone is 38 pages including two appendices. 31 without... and my actual project is 34 pages.

I am PEEVED right now. I am ready to submit, and turns out there was a deadline of YESTERDAY to submit before the facilitator goes on vacation until September 3... which would not normall be a big deal, but I applied to be a student speaker at WGU Texas' commencement, and I have to be done by the 23rd. It is really cutting it close for me. I am peeved because I didn't receive notification about the deadline - my project and report have been ready for two days. I was waiting until I finished the slideshow presentation before I submitted everything together. She said she posted it in the online community (which I rarely visit or find useful) and sent an emai lout, to all students, but I didn't receive it.

GRR. Just GRR.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @colemic.....That sucks...I hope things work out for you to be a student speaker at the WGU Texas commencement....fingers crossed...
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello all! I wanted to drop a quick update on my progress. I finished my first term without finishing one class so i have carried that over to be my first class for term 2. CUV1 has been a terror for the amount of material to learn. I managed to keep studying for two weeks solid to bring my practice test scores from a 79 to a 94. My test is scheduled for Thursday, I am confident i will get the pass here.

I started a blog to keep on track and constant with my studies in an attempt to stay motivated and engaged with my learning. I figure if i have to write something about what i am learning, i will have to remember something of what i read/practiced for the evening.

After that I have DIV1 as i managed to setup a small test server at work so i can practice the material from the book. I have not worked with a server directly from the start without having some intent or purpose defined by my work so this will be a nice change of pace. My next two classes are entirely geared and showing my bosses that i am ready for a leadership position. Hopefully this will get me out of the front lines and into more "regular" 9-5 hours so i dont end up coming home so exhausted i just sleep through my study time. Anyways, thats all for now!

Cheers :)
  • Xonis1Xonis1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, I am starting WGU for a BS:IT software in October. I have no certifications or degree so it's going to be a interesting journey.I do work at an IT company so I have some computer knowledge. Currently I am practicing some Web programming, android and java programming and brushing up for A+. I did about 75% on my A+ practice exam with no studying. nothing ventured , nothing gained!
    WGU BSIT:Software
    Start Date: Oct 1, 2013
    In Progress: TBP1 WFV1 EAV1 CLC1
    Transfered: AGCI GAC1 BVC1 (8 cu)
    Remaining:
    EDV1 BNC1 BOV1 BVC1 CJV1 CIC1 CRV1 CTV1 CUV1 CVV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 DIV1 DJV1 IWC1 IWT1 CJC1 TJP1 TPV1 WPV1 EUP1 EUC1 TXP1 TXC1 TYP1 TYC1 EBV1 CDC1 CDP1 UBC1 UBT1
  • LugzLugz Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would like to apply of the software degree as well, but I'm hesitant because I don't have any programming experience. Outside of some self taught web design stuff, I'm a complete programming noob.

Anyone have similar experience as mine that has succeeded in the software path?
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @colemic Yeah I wasn't particularly impressed with the Capstone mentor, not terribly helpful and honestly for such an important class they need more than 1 person that can grade and conduct the oral defense.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • EruMaisEruMais Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey all... I'm looking to transfer to Net Design and Mgmt track from Net Admin mostly due to the INCD1 change and not wanting to tackle that, which I imagine would take several months. I am just about finished studying for 70-640... already failed twice on it, but both indicate weaknesses in 3 key areas. I'm confident I will pass this time.

I have the 70-642 and then I guess the objective, in-house exams for the App Infrastructure and Enterprise Admin. I also have the CIW exams.

Does anyone have experience with the objective assessments for App Infra and Ent. Admin? I'm curious how they are in terms of difficulty, based on in-house learning resources. I would think they would be much easier since I imagine they would only test on the learning resources and not require multiple outside resources and extensive labbing.

I'm trying to complete my program as soon as possible, as I'm sure everyone else is. I debated switching to the regular IT track, but I'm already so close completing AD I don't want to stop studying in the middle and go back to it later. Thoughts?
  • milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lugz: Bear in mind that it's really an IT degree with a software emphasis. Most of your courses are IT courses, and no different than any of the other WGU degrees. The biggest difference is the final project, which is a software project.

I felt the coursework is appropriate for someone with no programming experience, and that you can learn what you need to know. On the other hand, I came into the program with a lot of programming experience, so I may not be the best judge of this. ;)

I didn't think the programming work was that hard, with the exception of KFT1, which was just way too much for one course. It's being revised and you will be taking the new version, so don't worry about that.

Most of the programming is web programming of one type or another (Javascript, server-side C#, perl, etc.). If you've done some web design, that'll help with all the html and css.
    @colemic Yeah I wasn't particularly impressed with the Capstone mentor, not terribly helpful and honestly for such an important class they need more than 1 person that can grade and conduct the oral defense.

And all the people said...

AMEN!

It is mindboggling that they rely on one person to do everything related to the capstone, the most important course on the program... she must have a ton of vacay time as well, she was gone for a week at the end of July, and I had to wait to submit my prospectus then.

It would hit the proverbial fan if she up and left with no notice.
  • Bacon_00Bacon_00 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everybody!

I just enrolled at WGU, and got my transcript evaluations back. I transferred in enough credits towards the Network Admin BS that I only need 64 credits to complete the program. I'm taking time off of work and moving home to focus on school full-time for the semester (and also finish up a writing project that's probably just a pipe-dream, but I digress...).

How likely do you folks who are doing WGU think it'd be for me to clear 64 credits worth of material in 6 months, if I have no job and spend 6-8 hours a day on school? I'm gonna guess "not very likely," but from the stories I've read here, it doesn't sound completely unrealistic. I'm also accelerating my start a little bit by studying for my CCENT full-time during the month of September, then starting up WGU on Oct 1st.

Just curious!
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Very possible depending on your experience and determination.
    Maybe you guys are talking about a 30 page project with pictures, diagrams or tables.

I am thinking the capstone is a 30+ page essay written in MLA format. Which is it?

Also Alumnus; How many hours a day did you study and how many terms did it take for you to finish your degree?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    -hype wrote: »

Also Alumnus; How many hours a day did you study and how many terms did it take for you to finish your degree?

It varies wildly on how many credits you bring in, your background/experience, etc. WGU suggests you study 20 hrs a week, I try to shoot for that number as often as I can.
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    Whelp, CTV1 is scheduled for 4 Sept, still about 2 weeks ahead of where I should be. Wish me luck!
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
    Maybe you guys are talking about a 30 page project with pictures, diagrams or tables.

I am thinking the capstone is a 30+ page essay written in MLA format. Which is it?

I actually did both... reading through some of the capstones in the archive it appears that a lot of students submit the table of contents for their project as their deliverable (along with the written report.) At least, that's the impression I got from their paper. I chose to submit a completely finished project, alongside the report.

You're rights, most of the longer capstones have page after page of screenshots or something similar. My report has zero pictures, 31 pages of text, and 38 total counting the appendixes. My completed project is ~38 pages (of course I am obsessing over the next two weeks as to what changes to make.) Currently it's a word doc entitled 'Defend your High Ground: A Small Business Primer for Information Security.'

I am on my 5th term (started 1 July) so I almost got it done in 2 years. But, I moved twice, got married, and spent a year in Afghanistan all thrown in there as well.
    colemic wrote: »

I am on my 5th term (started 1 July) so I almost got it done in 2 years. But, I moved twice, got married, and spent a year in Afghanistan all thrown in there as well.

Was this without an Associates?
  • CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone have some much needed advice on KET1 and/or KFT1? I've read the whole book for KET1, and I know many of the concepts, and have done some of the labs in the book, but I still feel like I am stumped. I think I will re-read the KET1 book, again. I've read that KET1 isn't too hard, so I'm hoping that I'm just missing (or forgot) a fundamental concept.
    Was this without an Associates?

No, I actually have 2 associates - one in golf course operations, and information technology (CCAF), a bachelor's from Excelsior College, and a Diploma in High Education (DipHEd) from the University of Stirling, Scotland.

I would definitely have been done early if they still accepted the Network+ certification as credit. I still think it's a better fit than a vendor-specific exam like the CCENT for basic netoworking knowledge.