Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Looks like I will be starting September 1 for bachelor of IT Security. Have had a fairly easy time dealing with admissions, worst part is waiting forever for multiple schools to get transcripts over so I can get an official evaluation. I have an AAS in Information Systems Management from the Community College of the Air Force, Security+, A+, and passed the CISSP in March. Also, I am taking ICND1 next week and hope to finish the full CCNA by August 1. I am really excited to get this going as I want to step into the GS world and I doubt it will happen without a degree.

I think it is quite stupid that the Security+ gives the same amount of CU's as the CISSP...
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    What were everyone's experience when it came to Orientation being available? I am slated to start August 1st, was told everything was good, I was cleared and to check sometime around mid-July for orientation to be open. Did anyone's open sooner than mid month, any later? Etc.
  • Options
    jebrown21jebrown21 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone. After reading these forums over the last couple months, I decided to apply to WGU. Today, I had my first conversation with my enrollment counselor and everything seemed good.

My worry is my transcript isn't very pretty. I have been to 2 community colleges. At both community colleges, there have been times that I needed to withdraw, and other times where it was too late to withdraw and I needed to drop the classes and receive F's. I have completed about 52 credits to date, with grades ranging from A+ to B. Besides the F's, I have never received a grade under a B.

I have already submit my CompTIA certifications (A+ and N+), which I have received an email that they already cleared it. I received both of these within the last 3 months. Has anyone been in a similar situation, where they had horrible transcripts, but still was accepted? I'm hoping that they look at the positive and see that I can do the work, especially if it is self study.

• Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    jebrown21 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. After reading these forums over the last couple months, I decided to apply to WGU. Today, I had my first conversation with my enrollment counselor and everything seemed good.

My worry is my transcript isn't very pretty. I have been to 2 community colleges. At both community colleges, there have been times that I needed to withdraw, and other times where it was too late to withdraw and I needed to drop the classes and receive F's. I have completed about 52 credits to date, with grades ranging from A+ to B. Besides the F's, I have never received a grade under a B.

I have already submit my CompTIA certifications (A+ and N+), which I have received an email that they already cleared it. I received both of these within the last 3 months. Has anyone been in a similar situation, where they had horrible transcripts, but still was accepted? I'm hoping that they look at the positive and see that I can do the work, especially if it is self study.

You have 52 credits to your name and two certifications. I don't believe the few Fs will affect their decision, so I think you're good to go.

I started April 1st and I'm pretty happy with it. I think I'm going to hit CCNA next term and I'm pretty excited (and intimidated) to finally start that.
  • Options
    ashernatanelashernatanel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jebrown21 wrote: »
    You should be fine. My transcript is a hot mess, with so many withdrawals from the beginning of my college career, you wouldn't believe it. I'll even send you a picture of it, if it would help reassure you.
  • Options
    JD77V17JD77V17 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been doing American Public University and I have to go at the pace of the teachers. Its regular AA classes so I have to do reports and a lot of writing. I'm wondering how different it is with WGU classes. Whats the process entail? My interest is in the BS Information Technology Security.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JD77V17 wrote: »
    I've been doing American Public University and I have to go at the pace of the teachers. Its regular AA classes so I have to do reports and a lot of writing. I'm wondering how different it is with WGU classes. Whats the process entail? My interest is in the BS Information Technology Security.

If you come in with an Associate's you probably won't have a lot of writing. I did that (also got the BS IT Security) and I think I only had 3 classes where I had to write essays. And 2 of those were the last two classes you take (capstone and technical writing). Most of the classes will be for certs and in house exams.
  • Options
    JeshJesh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    If you come in with an Associate's you probably won't have a lot of writing. I did that (also got the BS IT Security) and I think I only had 3 classes where I had to write essays. And 2 of those were the last two classes you take (capstone and technical writing). Most of the classes will be for certs and in house exams.

How does it work when you have to take a class for an cert you already have? Do you transfer in with credit for that already and it's removed from your workload or do you just have to do it again regardless?

I'm truly considering WGU for a bachelors but i'm not sure how it all fits together.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jesh wrote: »
    How does it work when you have to take a class for an cert you already have? Do you transfer in with credit for that already and it's removed from your workload or do you just have to do it again regardless?

I'm truly considering WGU for a bachelors but i'm not sure how it all fits together.

If you already have the certification and it meets the transfer requirement than the requirements for the class are met and the course is marked as transferred.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    Jesh wrote: »

If you already have the cert, then you should be able to transfer in with those, receive credit for them, and not have to take the class.

For instance, all of the certs listed in your profile are in the IT Security track. All of those may net you like 30 credits (don't quote me on that) and waive several courses for you. Only other certs in that track that you'd actually have to take a course for would be the CCNA Security, Linux+, and Project+. Everything else would be in house exams or essays.
  • Options
    rezadentialrezadential Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My experience at WGU was mostly positive. If there was one thing I didn't like it was the CIW certs that they offered in their programs. I felt like those certs devalue the degree. Other than that, I had a great student mentor and some of the course mentors were really helpful. Graduated with my BS IT Sec this summer.
  • Options
    My experience at WGU was mostly positive. If there was one thing I didn't like it was the CIW certs that they offered in their programs. I felt like those certs devalue the degree. Other than that, I had a great student mentor and some of the course mentors were really helpful. Graduated with my BS IT Sec this summer.

My understanding is that they removed all of the CIW stuff, I believe they realized the CIW certs weren't worth the paper they were printed on and moved those classes to in-house tests, but then again I may be wrong.

I start Aug 1st for BS: IT Net Admin, very excited for the 15th so I can go ahead and get started!
  • Options
    When I got the CIW cert for the website stuff, my wife looked confused when I opened it up and immediately threw it in the trash. She said, "That looks important, why are you throwing it away?" :D
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone currently taking Operating Systems I and II for the Linux + cert? I wanted to find out what book they selected for the new set of cert tests.
  • Options
    How do you guys setup your Degree plans? I am trying to get an idea in my head to justify my case of a lot more than 12cu per term. Do you guys tell them that you are planning to complete 40+ CU each term or do you start with 12 and if you complete it fairly quickly have them expand it? I just wasn't sure I wanted to go through the approval process and all that nonsense every time I turn around to start a new class.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had them put in the 12 and then accelerated when possible, that seemed to work best for me.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They work fast. I applied and had a call from an enrollment guy in less than an hour. Unfortunately I will have to call him back in the morning as I applied during lunch and he called after. Hopefully he answers in the morning, I would like to get the ball rolling as fast as I can. Going to slow down my NP studied, hoping I can manage to do both at the same time. I'll be starting fresh and getting in with my CCNA.
  • Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ImThe0ne wrote: »
    How do you guys setup your Degree plans? I am trying to get an idea in my head to justify my case of a lot more than 12cu per term. Do you guys tell them that you are planning to complete 40+ CU each term or do you start with 12 and if you complete it fairly quickly have them expand it? I just wasn't sure I wanted to go through the approval process and all that nonsense every time I turn around to start a new class.
    Breeze through the first 12 credits and then your mentor will be eager to add whichever courses you want to you term. I haven't had any issue pulling classes that were initially in Term 5 and moving them up. They generally want to see you get through the first 12 credits first though.
  • Options
    vmixervmixer Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Once you start and show you are motivated they won't get in your way. I don't have a job, WGU is my full time gig and Im going thru a class every week or so. I didin't really tell them that upfront, I just started working the minute EWOB opened up and haven't stopped. I finished my first 12 cu before the end of my first month, I started 6/1 and Ive earned 25cu so far, after an exam tomorrow hopefully 28.

I haven't had any issues with them asking me why/how/slow down/ or anything else. My mentor offered me every other week calls if I wanted. I can pick my order to some extent but I am in the accounting program so out of order doesn't make sense for a lot of it. My work exp is in tech, but I want to move into finance, Im actually thinking of the BS Software after my BSAcc (I want to do a masters of finance/tax at a state u)
  • Options
    Does anyone know which classes meet up to the MCSA certs for the BS: IT NA degree? Which class goes to which test, etc.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate taskstream!!! ARG!!!!!!!!! So frustrated!!!! The critical path is right there, in RED, like I said! BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's all
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks like I was officially accepted and need to schedule my interview thing. How does that process usually go?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Your enrollment counselor should be reaching out to you to do that. I did mine Thursday is it is just a 20 min call mostly going over all the same stuff you have before and making sure you understand exactly how WGU works.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Your enrollment counselor should be reaching out to you to do that. I did mine Thursday is it is just a 20 min call mostly going over all the same stuff you have before and making sure you understand exactly how WGU works.

This. My interview was basically just a repeat of the same meeting my EC and I had had every week since applying.
  • Options
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    They work fast. I applied and had a call from an enrollment guy in less than an hour. Unfortunately I will have to call him back in the morning as I applied during lunch and he called after. Hopefully he answers in the morning, I would like to get the ball rolling as fast as I can. Going to slow down my NP studied, hoping I can manage to do both at the same time. I'll be starting fresh and getting in with my CCNA.

I still had the application page open in my web browser when I received the call. My enrollment process was very fast, aside from the wait to begin my first term.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can I get some help on a payment plan? I'm finishing the 4th month of my first term. I used a loan for this term. I'd rather just do a payment plan for my second term that starts in October. How do I get registered for that term, and how do I get a payment plan set up?

Edit: I called and got my answers.
  • Options
    Can I get some help on a payment plan? I'm finishing the 4th month of my first term. I used a loan for this term. I'd rather just do a payment plan for my second term that starts in October. How do I get registered for that term, and how do I get a payment plan set up?

Edit: I called and got my answers.

How many CUs do you think you'll knock out this term? I have the Integrated Natural Science OA next week and that'll be 17 for me.
  • Options
    How quickly do you guys get contacted back from your mentors? Seems like it takes a while for them to go through and respond to emails and approve pre-assessments and assessments. Is that just my mentor? Requested assessment last night and asked a question via email early this morning, his day is technically "over" at this point, and still haven't had a response. Kind of defeats the purpose of being able to go through these classes quickly if they don't respond. I know it's only been 1 day, but still, isn't it their job assisting the student?
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some mentors are better than others. I just finished my degree about a month ago and my mentor Vikki was incredible. If it was during normal working hours I would have a response within a hour. In most cases if I sent a message at night I had a response by 8:30 am. Going back to school and finishing was definitely worth it so hang in there!
  • Options
    jbegarekjbegarek Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm almost done with my degree... just the Capstone left. My mentor Rey Armijo has been wonderful. He's let me go at my own pace and pretty much always has approved things the same day. Might just be your mentor, or possibly due to you guys having different schedules? Just a thought.
    ImThe0ne wrote: »
    How quickly do you guys get contacted back from your mentors? Seems like it takes a while for them to go through and respond to emails and approve pre-assessments and assessments. Is that just my mentor? Requested assessment last night and asked a question via email early this morning, his day is technically "over" at this point, and still haven't had a response. Kind of defeats the purpose of being able to go through these classes quickly if they don't respond. I know it's only been 1 day, but still, isn't it their job assisting the student?