Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    N7Valiant wrote: »
    Hmm, do they accept transfers of math/reading from your college, or do they insist on independent assessments of that? Also curious if they take into consideration what you already took on what I like to call "useless diversity requirements" like Anthropology, Hawaiian Studies(LOL), etc. My primary concern with moving to another State with a better job market right now is the fact that I might have to start entirely from scratch if I pursue a Bachelor's outside the State.

Yes. most of the general education stuff will transfer over. Even what you call the UDRs can possibly transfer over. (A humanities course could fill a humanities requirement, for example.) But, that should be true for just about any college. As long as the college you are transferring from is accredited and recognized, you shouldn't have much difficulty transferring them to a new school. There will always be pieces that don't match up, but you would rarely lose it all.

I would suggest that WGU has one of the more flexible transfer policies, outside of the technical subjects.
  • Options
    NoNameNoobNoNameNoob Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's probably been said before but I would request the voucher before you finish the study material, if you are trying to accelerate. After I finished the study material for the 901 and 902 A+ exams I requested the voucher and received them the same day. I finished the study material for the ITIL course on Monday and requested the voucher. Still waiting on it, 3 days is no big deal but kinda threw me off my momentum. I've been reading ahead for the next course, but i'll have to switch back and read for a few hours again for the ITIL to feel confident on the test.
  • Options
    Reach out to your student mentor. No reason it should take 3 days. I get irritated if I don't have it within the hour.
  • Options
    NoNameNoobNoNameNoob Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jibtech wrote: »
    Reach out to your student mentor. No reason it should take 3 days. I get irritated if I don't have it within the hour.

Thanks for the advice jibtech, I ended up emailing my mentor and they told me to call them. It was squared away within 10 minutes, i'll have to keep this in mind going forward.
  • Options
    NoNameNoob wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice jibtech, I ended up emailing my mentor and they told me to call them. It was squared away within 10 minutes, i'll have to keep this in mind going forward.

Glad it worked out. Assessment Services is usually on the ball, but things happen in any department. I have found WGU to be incredibly responsive when I picked up a phone or submitted an issue.
  • Options
    NHStudentNHStudent Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm enrolled into WGU (BSCSIA) and quite frustrated at the whole admissions process. Starting on January 1st. Going to vent a little here so if you are expecting one of those bubbly this is wonderful write ups, change the channel. :)

First was wanting to start on December 1st but missing the cut-off because of the time gaps with the enrollment councilor. Was also told that I had to take the academic intake assessment tests as I only have an AS in CS. I guess you need a BS to enroll into a BS degree? That is stupid and hear they are changing it to an AS now but I was just below that decision time-wise. I took the assessments but there was an issue submitting one of them (as in a javascript error from their server). Opened case with IT but they could not help and told me to talk to my EC right away. They are timed so I knew this was bad. Called / emailed enrollment councilor but did not hear back. Attempted to call / email several times over the next few days. 10 days later I received notice that I was declined admissions. 2 more days of calling trying to speak with the EC and finally getting him on the phone he did not know what was going on and it took several more days to resolve which btw, was me having to retake the test. I did and several days later made it. They also don't touch your classes to transfer in if you are not accepted so that was all slowed down as well and I had transferred in credits from 3 different schools (PITA).

This pushed me past the December 1st start and how lucky for me their tuition after over a decade goes up on January fist along with new fees for the IT program. So from $2900 to almost $3500 for the IT programs per term.

Admissions seemed to be going well by this point but last week was assigned a mentor who was not calling for the scheduled sessions I setup via their portal scheduling system. After several emails, he finally told me he did not see them and that he was not going to be my mentor. I called student services for them to investigate and even they could not get a hold of him but eventually they told me I was going to get a new mentor. They were not sure why that happened and claimed it happened to several people. That was on Wednesday and to date, it still says his name as the mentor. No calls, no plans, and I wanted to start on January 1st - from being anxious to doubtful. Sure, I can go through the material. I have been and already passed the 1st two pre-assessments but need the SM to book the class and allow me to take the OA.

Given that Monday is a holiday and Tuesday will be crazy busy for everyone including me, I don't see meeting my new mentor until later next week.

This is not going as planned and I'm now considering withdrawing and going to SNHU or Hodges. Accepted into both schools and both transferred more credits into their programs giving me less to complete to get my degree.
  • Options
    JCloudJCloud Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started the B.S. Cloud and SysAdmin degree on Dec 1st and I'm enjoying it. I was able to transfer in all my GenEd courses, so just working on the IT courses. I haven't taken a certification exam in almost 10 years but I really like the structure of this program. Already passed 3 of the courses with 21 to go. Hoping to finish in 2 semesters.

As far as the mentor goes, we talk every week, but I really don't need someone holding my hand. I work as a SysAdmin now, but eventually want to work in the cloud.
  • Options
    MdaudMdaud Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    is it semester or quarter based school? and how much each semester or quarter runs?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is a term-based school, each term is six months long and costs roughly $3,000 per term.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    skyberxskyberx Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When it comes to scheduling proctored exams, is there a set schedule range (8am to 8pm, etc) or are they available 24/7?
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They are available at all times of the day. I've taken them morning, afternoon, evening, and at night.
  • Options
    rayhasrayhas Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've lurked this forum for about 6 months and finally decided to post. First, the info on this site is amazing and its cool to see guys getting educated the right way instead of through ****. I know this is not a welcome mat but wanted to say that before I asked my question regarding WGU, a school I found by lurking here.

I have question regarding the BSCSIA degree. I've searched here and on reddit regarding the "worth" of the certs offered and its seems both communities aren't high on the ECIH and ECES certifications. My "IT dream job" is to become a pentester. CCSP/SSCP are fine but my goal is to have a degree in CS and honestly, its to get by HR filters. I'm not worried about the quality of education from WGU as reading here, reddit and talking with coworkers who have attended WGU, its not a degree mill. I will learn. My concern is that while researching cyber security related jobs, I never see the ECIH/ECES listed (in Texas). Normally its the GCIH or something similar. But however, I'm willing to stay the course with the CSIA degree if what I learn for the ECIH could be applied to the GCIH without having to brain **** everything I learned for the ECIH and relearn the GCIH standard. This goes for the ECES as well. If thats the case, I will just look for the BS IT and get the "correct" security certs as my career progresses.

Note: Not really interested in the NOS due to attending New Horizons and having a CCNA and MCSA Server 2012 exam vouchers in the chamber.

Hope this makes sense to someone. My first post on forums are normally trash, they'll get better with time. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    If your goal is a pentester role, why are you worried about ECIH translating to GCIH, etc? I would be worried about getting GPEN instead. Anything SANS/GIAC is going to be more highly regarded than EC Council, at least in my experience.
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Word is going around that student mentors have confirmed that WGU is about to start offering a bachelors degree in CS. I'm in my last year at WGU and will be graduating with my degree in Software Development. I've been working as a dev for almost 3 months now.
  • Options
    rayhasrayhas Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ImThe0ne wrote: »
    If your goal is a pentester role, why are you worried about ECIH translating to GCIH, etc? I would be worried about getting GPEN instead. Anything SANS/GIAC is going to be more highly regarded than EC Council, at least in my experience.

I have no experience with GIAC certifications but from researching here and other places (to include job listings), GIAC certifications are something I should aim for. However, for the BSCSIA from WGU, they only offer the ECIH/ECES certifications in which I haven't found many positive reviews or job listings with them included. Thats why I'm wondering if what i learn with ECIH will help with when I prepare in the future to venture into GIAC certifications or were they, might be a bad comparison, like Network+ and the CCNA from a knowledge perspective. By that I mean, is one of them just a general knowledge about a topic while one is chin deep in information? Trying to avoid focusing too much on the 100 meter target if its not going to help me hit my long term goals. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    ilikebikeilikebike Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you're right, but I'm worried they may be "dumbing down" the software dev track when they split the program. My coworker is in the Software Dev track and is starting a new term on April 1st. His mentor told him he has the option to switch to the new Software Dev program which has removed several classes like Data Structures and Client-Server Application development. I don't know why they would remove these classes other than to put them in the CS track instead and make Software Dev an easier path. Data Structures is pretty important in any programming course IMO.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    ilikebike wrote: »
    Data Structures is pretty important in any programming course IMO.
    +9 on that one. Data structures are a fundamental concept of anything to do with code design and implementation. It may be that programming has become so abstracted by "object orientation" that it is believed the details of data structures is now a low-level concept best left to the computer "scientists" and not necessary to teach code developers. Hiding the details was one of the ultimate goals for OO back in the 1990's, so to need only secretaries be the (low-paid) code developers.
  • Options
    krayskrays Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Folks,
    I posted in here a couple of years ago when I was first pondering enrolling in WGU. I am SO glad that I went through with it - easily one of the best decisions I've ever made. Last month I finished my BSIT-Network Administration degree and I'll be starting the MS in CyberSecurity sometime in the summer. For anyone who is on the fence about this school - do yourself a favor and pull the trigger. The enrollment process can be a bit shaky, but once you get through that it's smooth sailing. You will get a great education, a bunch of useful certs and a regionally accredited degree from a non-profit school. 10 years ago I never thought I would graduate college, but here I am.
  • Options
    netsechelpnetsechelp Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have any advice on filing a challenge to their transcript eval? Just got mine back and am a little disappointed. WGU is not giving me credit for the A+ or N+, even though my A.A.S. had courses directly related to both of those certifications (as in, literally taught out of the academic certification guide). I'd really like to avoid having to waste time on either cert.
  • Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    krays wrote: »
    Hey Folks,
    I posted in here a couple of years ago when I was first pondering enrolling in WGU. I am SO glad that I went through with it - easily one of the best decisions I've ever made. Last month I finished my BSIT-Network Administration degree and I'll be starting the MS in CyberSecurity sometime in the summer. For anyone who is on the fence about this school - do yourself a favor and pull the trigger. The enrollment process can be a bit shaky, but once you get through that it's smooth sailing. You will get a great education, a bunch of useful certs and a regionally accredited degree from a non-profit school. 10 years ago I never thought I would graduate college, but here I am.
    ^^^ That!
  • Options
    bgardner15bgardner15 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was admitted on Thursday and now just waiting for my financial aid to kick in in the next few days and I can start on 5/1/2018..
  • Options
    krayskrays Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    netsechelp wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice on filing a challenge to their transcript eval? Just got mine back and am a little disappointed. WGU is not giving me credit for the A+ or N+, even though my A.A.S. had courses directly related to both of those certifications (as in, literally taught out of the academic certification guide). I'd really like to avoid having to waste time on either cert.

I don't have any specific advice as it relates to this - I can say, however, that earning the A+ and N+ certifications are a part of the curriculum and are required for credit. My understanding is that per policy, no one gets credit for these courses unless they have earned an A+ or N+ within the past 5 years.
  • Options
    ilikebikeilikebike Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you don't actually have the cert then you won't get credit for the class. Getting the cert is the only way to pass the class.

The good new is that if you've already gone through the classes for them then getting the cert should be a breeze. Start the WGU class, take and pass the preassement, schedule your test if you feel comfortable and get your cert. Should take no time at all.
  • Options
    netsechelpnetsechelp Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was actually informed my class load and degree would have counted for those classes but it was beyond the 5 year cutoff mark. I've been in a hold pattern for over 2 weeks now, waiting on financial aid to be approved. I sent a notarized document in 14 days ago today, but it still has not been uploaded to my student portal. Today is the cutoff (it was actually last week but they authorized an extension) so it looks like I'll be pushed back a month.
  • Options
    LERXSTLERXST Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am going through the enrollment process now. Sent my transcripts 2 weeks ago and for some reason they can't seem to get my Comptia transcripts open, yet everyone else can open them. They have my transcripts from Cisco, MS and 2 community colleges. I resent them today and my EC said she would expedite it. I am hoping to start NS NOS June 1 and transfer in at least 41 CU's.
  • Options
    IrishTRIrishTR Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    netsechelp wrote: »

I challenged my eval, it took some back and forth with them. Best I can say is stick to your guns, have plenty of evidence to state your claim. Basically overload them with details and be persistent. But be careful, they like to push that 30 unit or whatever they call it residency so if you end up getting too much credits you might push yourself out of your degree plan.

I was pretty methodical in mine and in the end they had me retake A+ (which is 2 classes worth of units). As a 20+ year IT vet with several other higher level certifications, I gladly took it so I didn't have to change degree plans nor take other lame classes. Soon as I enrolled I went and sat both exams and passed along with the classes lol...
  • Options
    scwhitescwhite Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to contribute to the online discussion of WGU

I had 21 of 75 hours transfer and then picked up one more later on a course change. It is what it is.

My first mentor only allowed 12 hours in my term (standard procedure) and I really didn't get it at first. Spent (wasted) a full month on a lighter type course and was treating it like the 75 hours I got in B&M. Something happened to my SM and I was assigned a new one and he woke me up. I took the pre-eval test for the course and was 30 points over cut and talking to him about how I was going to spend the last 2 weeks of the 6 weeks allocated getting that up a point or two. He calmly said that if that was the way I wanted to do it that was fine. He also explained that he liked to see folks move through classes in about a month if possible and encouraged me to take the final that day.

Took it passed and light went off,

from April 1 to Aug 31 - knocked out 51 hrs with a 25 hour a week programming gig to factor in. Was hired full time as CTO for the company in Sep so first 2 months of 2nd term a bust and spent Nov on one course so ended with 16 hrs for term and picked up a transfer on a course change. Had 9 classes for 3rd term and 10 weeks in I am down to 4 and 2 of those are the final capstone and the portfolio class, so will finish with time left over this term.

Great experience, good hard work required on areas without expertise and helped me to step up my game in areas I have worked in for 25 years. Being self taught has some pros but circling back and clicking through the program the kids are going through today has been a good thing anf getting the checkbox for the degree mandatory to keep doing the work I want to do.

Remember one thing, as you get older and move up arrogance is less appealing to folks that hire you and keep an open mind to learning the way the program is intended not the way you want or think it should be. if you can't bend a bit to this program it would probably mean you would have an issue working on a lot of teams as well.
  • Options
    rwherrrwherr Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    <cross posted from reddit>

Hello all - being laid off next week :-/ and am really interested in enrolling in WGU.
    Does anyone know if I would be able to use the WIOA program grant to enroll/pay for WGU?
  • Options
    TM4NTM4N Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @rwherr I recommend contacting WGU's financial Aid department and just asking them. They are extremely helpful. 1-877-435-7948 ext. 3104 or financialservices@wgu.edu