Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just passed the final math class today. 57% with a cut score of 56%. 45 CU done, I have 1 more month left of my term. I'm going to try my best to get ABV1 and HVC1 done by the end of term. Not sure it's going to happen though. Good luck to everyone else.

QLC1 math class?
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    QLC1 math class?

No, my last one was QLM1, I passed QLC1 awhile ago. I finished that in 4 hours. I had to wait the dang 2 weeks for the test to be scheduled for the other.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • BlackBellaBlackBella Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I finally got evaluated for my transfer credit from my 1st BA for this BSITDB.

I only have to take IT classes and EWB class. I am not working and no family, so I am wondering if I can complete well over 20 CU my first semester.
    GSU- BA International Studies
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
    Classed needed to graduate: WFV1,TEV1,TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, LET1, GUT1, WSV1, WDV1, TPV1, TSV1,MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, PFI6, CPW6, ALV1, AMV1
    1st term goal: EWB,WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, , GUT1
    Certifications::study: One day soon
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BlackBella wrote: »
    I finally got evaluated for my transfer credit from my 1st BA for this BSITDB.

I only have to take IT classes and EWB class. I am not working and no family, so I am wondering if I can complete well over 20 CU my first semester.

I'm sure youll be able to. I completed about 58 during my first term
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I'm sure youll be able to. I completed about 58 during my first term

If I could do that many hours I be done in one semester. :D
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
    Classed needed to graduate: WFV1,TEV1,TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, LET1, GUT1, WSV1, WDV1, TPV1, TSV1,MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, PFI6, CPW6, ALV1, AMV1
  • ShawksShawks Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am Lisa King. I am currently at the end of my 2nd year with WGU. I am working on a Bachelor Degree in IT with Major in Network Design and Management. I am also a 47 year old mom, with a full time job at a security company as IT Professional and wow, so little time to study but staying on course.
    I am in a similar scenario, employed full time as a Systems administrator, Married with Children, plus I have a side business of computer repair. But, just like my wife said, it will work itself out as you go. This is something I have been wanting to do for a while, and WGU sounds like the perfect environment to do it in.
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
    Completed: EWB,BAC1,BBC1,CLC1, LAE1, INC1, LAT1, TEV1, TTV1, LUT1, QLC1, INT1, WFV1,WSV1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1 ,QMC1, QLT1,TSV1,AKV1,LWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1,WDV1,MGC1, TPV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, C220,C221. DEGREE COMPLETED!
  • ShawksShawks Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well said!
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
    Completed: EWB,BAC1,BBC1,CLC1, LAE1, INC1, LAT1, TEV1, TTV1, LUT1, QLC1, INT1, WFV1,WSV1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1 ,QMC1, QLT1,TSV1,AKV1,LWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1,WDV1,MGC1, TPV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, C220,C221. DEGREE COMPLETED!
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Shawks wrote: »
    I am in a similar scenario, employed full time as a Systems administrator, Married with Children....

So, I take it you're a sys admin at a shoe store and your name is Al Bundy? icon_lol.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Shawks wrote: »
    I am in a similar scenario, employed full time as a Systems administrator, Married with Children, plus I have a side business of computer repair. But, just like my wife said, it will work itself out as you go. This is something I have been wanting to do for a while, and WGU sounds like the perfect environment to do it in.

Sounds like you have a supportive wife. Nothing better than to have your spouse on your side! :)
    Sounds like you have a supportive wife. Nothing better than to have your spouse on your side! :)

You got that right! Mine just wants to nag whenever I'm in the middle of something for school.....
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Down to Capstone and i Done my degree - Bsc in IT -Network design & Managnment icon_smile.gif
    Hope to be done by end of next week if not sooner. Just need to find 3 to 4 hours.

Can't wait to start MSc in Jan
  • nbkriplnbkripl Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well EWB was not bad at all. Though I must say that 17 minute video on Taskstream was quite excessive, though luckily you can click through it icon_lol.gif

On to the real work and the fun stuff!!
    jahsoul wrote: »
    LMBO....I guess I did didn't I. lol. It would be sweet in they throw in a sweatshirt or hoodie..lol

I received a very lovely surprise at my PO BOX today. I got the WGU Welcome Kit!! No flash drive icon_sad.gif but I did get the coffee mug, binder, picture frame, stress ball that went to my dogs, and loads of post it notes, not to mention a WGU pen and a "do not disturb sign" for when I take those OLP exams (wifey told me to never use the sign where it says "I'm studying...." LOL. But I was firm on the testing one...). The same kit Veritas described that his buddy got. There is also a post card that I of course filled out that asks what size t-shirt I wear.

Yeah, that coffee mug is nice! But, as I said before...I did pay for it. LOL :)

Though...come to think of it, hoodies would be nice. I can't force myself to buy one if it's offered.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Funny you are getting that now erp. I think I got mine the second week of August.
    WGU grad
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    And all I ever got was a 512mb flash drive icon_sad.gif
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So whats the deal with TS? I've seen a lot of negatives, and I think I heard that it is being either fixed or done away with?

(Oh, and Lacey sounds hot...)
    EWB completed in a few hours, so now its off to IT fundamentals once I have my AAV with my mentor Tuesday. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
    EWB completed in a few hours, so now its off to IT fundamentals once I have my AAV with my mentor Tuesday. icon_cheers.gif
    Same here (the graduate version). The thing that sucks is that EWB was already flagged as passed since I did the undergraduate version, but I still had to go through most of the steps. Including setting the email signature, posting to the communities (like I have never done that before), and taking all the little mini tests to make sure I understand how to navigate the portal. My mentor told me she can't set my AAV until they get a confirmation email from the EWB mentors. However the AAV should be set Monday and I have already started on the first class.

edit got the conformation email. Imho EWB (which includes a bunch of busy work) could be replaced with an faq.
    SephStorm wrote: »
    So whats the deal with TS? I've seen a lot of negatives, and I think I heard that it is being either fixed or done away with?

(Oh, and Lacey sounds hot...)

I like Task Stream, what I didn't like was the inconstancy in graders. Just write to the rubric and your life will be much easier.
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    Same here (the graduate version). The thing that sucks is that EWB was already flagged as passed since I did the undergraduate version, but I still had to go through most of the steps. Including setting the email signature, posting to the communities (like I have never done that before), and taking all the little mini tests to make sure I understand how to navigate the portal. My mentor told me she can't set my AAV until they get a confirmation email from the EWB mentors. However the AAV should be set Monday and I have already started on the first class.

You can already start on the first class? Maybe for graduate students. I got a e-mail recording from the EWB mentors that my last project was recorded, but just waiting on the confirmation e-mail too.

How do you like it so far? I have 9 hours of graduate work at a B&M school, and I am debating if I am going to continue my MA once I finish this 2nd BS up.

Looking at the price of $45,000 vs. WGU graduate degree.
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh you lucky people with no lower level courses....
    If you go through some of the postings of people taking the lower level Gened courses they are, at least most, very easy. Taking these lower level courses is why a lot of people have been able to do 30+ CUs a term. There are only 2 or 3 gen ed courses which are actually time consuming and/or intellectually challenging.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I received a very lovely surprise at my PO BOX today. I got the WGU Welcome Kit!! No flash drive icon_sad.gif but I did get the coffee mug, binder, picture frame, stress ball that went to my dogs, and loads of post it notes, not to mention a WGU pen and a "do not disturb sign" for when I take those OLP exams (wifey told me to never use the sign where it says "I'm studying...." LOL. But I was firm on the testing one...). The same kit Veritas described that his buddy got. There is also a post card that I of course filled out that asks what size t-shirt I wear.
    . . .

I never got any of that. . . waah. . . since my mentor likes me, I might hit him up for it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    You know Taskstream would be better if perhaps they only had one grader through the entire process of a class. I wouldn't even mind it if it took a little longer to get grades back. It is just the consistency issue. One grader will let things slide and then later in the process another grader will give you a needs revision for something that was ok earlier. Otherwise Taskstream isn't that bad. I'm not sure if there are any alternatives out there.
    WGU grad
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    erpadmin wrote: »

Yeah, that coffee mug is nice! But, as I said before...I did pay for it. LOL :)

Though...come to think of it, hoodies would be nice. I can't force myself to buy one if it's offered.
    I've never received ANYTHING except a sticker. Maybe when I graduate they'll give me something.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Otherwise Taskstream isn't that bad. I'm not sure if there are any alternatives out there.

Blackboard/WebCT...we use that at the job (a lot of universities, big and small use it too). It's pretty much the same deal. If you've used TS, WebCT (which was bought by Blackboard a couple of years ago) is pretty much the same deal and vice-versa.

In this case, it's not the tool that I have issue with to hand stuff in, it's the folks that do the grading. And since they're pretty much anonymous (I guess by design), you never know who to bother.

My fear is that these folks are out in some distant foreign country, including my favorite one that took all the IT jobs. LOL.
    You can already start on the first class? Maybe for graduate students. I got a e-mail recording from the EWB mentors that my last project was recorded, but just waiting on the confirmation e-mail too.

How do you like it so far? I have 9 hours of graduate work at a B&M school, and I am debating if I am going to continue my MA once I finish this 2nd BS up.

Looking at the price of $45,000 vs. WGU graduate degree.

If you can see your AAP and course list you can click on the course of study link. This gives the formal layout for the course, books, and learning resources. Since I know what course I will be starting with I was able to order books, download required reading from e-reserves and get registered for an online learning resource.

I completed my BS IT with WGU in June and liked the experience, it isn't perfect, but much better than my B&M experience.

edit: Depending on the course the Course of Study may be optional depending on your experience or learning style.
    Oh you lucky people with no lower level courses....

We / they had to take them sometime. I much rather would have done an accelerated run through WGU than all of those classroom hours.
    If you can see your AAP and course list you can click on the course of study link. This gives the formal layout for the course, books, and learning resources. Since I know what course I will be starting with I was able to order books, download required reading from e-reserves and get registered for an online learning resource.

I completed my BS IT with WGU in June and liked the experience, it isn't perfect, but much better than my B&M experience.

edit: Depending on the course the Course of Study may be optional depending on your experience or learning style.

I see the course IT fundamentals I after EWB and the books, do you have to pay?
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
    I see the course IT fundamentals I after EWB and the books, do you have to pay?

For WFV1, no. The books are part of tuition and will be sent to you within a couple of days of enrollment.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    We / they had to take them sometime. I much rather would have done an accelerated run through WGU than all of those classroom hours.

Or, you could CLEP out of an associate's elsewhere, then transfer to WGU. That would mean significantly fewer classroom hours, and you'd still skip all of the WGU general ed.

I did some classroom hours en route to the associate's, but mostly CLEP/DSST.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers