Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• BlackBellaBlackBella Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is anyone going to be tackling GUT1 around January? I have it in line to do it in my next term. It's a team project so it'd be nice to do it with someone on here.

I will start that class in Janurary
    GSU- BA International Studies
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
    Classed needed to graduate: WFV1,TEV1,TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, LET1, GUT1, WSV1, WDV1, TPV1, TSV1,MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, PFI6, CPW6, ALV1, AMV1
    1st term goal: EWB,WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, , GUT1
    Certifications::study: One day soon
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Holy Mackeral!!! It's over!!!!

From the grader ....:

"Great work on a detailed assessment. The paper is informative to the topic and well structured."

Seriously, definitely heed my last post about LAT1!

Oh happy day! LOL. It really was work though.......

Congrats!
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Me too...it wasn't until I did APA google searching that I saw some professor at some school introduce that to me. I do not believe that could be done in Word 2003 (I think that's new to Word 2007....MAYBE it's an add-on in 2003, but who knows/cares at this point). The only Office I never used was Office XP....but Office 95, 97, 2000 (garbage!), 2003 and now 2007 have been used.

Still haven't heard back from the grader, but it's probably gonna be yet another end-of-day type deal before I hear back. In the meantime, I'm just gonna concentrate on LUT1 so that hopefully I can be done by the weekend. I gotta see if I can find the USB cable for my camera....should be in my office. Just glad the English is near done so I can do some 70-642 work.....that's all I'm doing the rest of the term. But whether it's 19 CUs or 25, I'm going into the next term with 100% SAP! Yee haw!! (I think the terms of my scholarship require 100% SAP....but it was erpadmin's policy to do that as well anyway..... :) )
    Definitely some good information, thank you for sharing it. One thing to point out, though, is that the APA used in Word 2010 is 5th edition, not the latest, which you are graded on. The differences are minor, but just tossing it out there.

I am using Perrla, which is an add-in you can buy for Word. It works fairly well, although it's not perfect.

In any case, congrats on passing LAT1. I just spent 4 hours annotating my bibliography and I'm amazed that this class requires 5 submissions and is only 2 CU's. Good times. Glad to have it started, though.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I found that class to be more difficult than a lot of 6 CU classes.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I made it through MGC1 today. I am really starting the rethink this webcam. It is so hard to sit in one place the entire time. It is just so convenient.
    WGU grad
    I made it through MGC1 today. I am really starting the rethink this webcam. It is so hard to sit in one place the entire time. It is just so convenient.

The only thing I don't like about the webcam is that I'm not sure what all we're allowed to have for the tests. For example, when I took the BAC1 exam, there were no guidelines that stated whether I could have a piece of scratch paper and pen, etc. I did find info somewhere about being able to have a calculator, though.

I mentioned it to my mentor and she said she wasn't sure either. I guess they don't mind, though, because I passed the test and never heard anything from the proctors.

Given the price of gas and the proximity of the nearest proctor site, I'm ok with sitting still for now. icon_wink.gif
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Definitely some good information, thank you for sharing it. One thing to point out, though, is that the APA used in Word 2010 is 5th edition, not the latest, which you are graded on. The differences are minor, but just tossing it out there.

I am using Perrla, which is an add-in you can buy for Word. It works fairly well, although it's not perfect.

In any case, congrats on passing LAT1. I just spent 4 hours annotating my bibliography and I'm amazed that this class requires 5 submissions and is only 2 CU's. Good times. Glad to have it started, though.

I was going to buy Perrla, but when I found out about bibme.org, I went ahead and used that instead. I still had to capitalize or not capitalize correctly and I still had to do the hanging indentation. MAKE SURE if you haven't already to watch that mindedge video about the annotated bibliography. The hanging indents are explained beautifully.

When I did annotate my bibliography, I still had Word 2003...lol. The useful thing about putting your sources into Word wasn't for the bibliography, but for the in-text citations....just pointing and clicking when I had to cite something. By the time I upgraded to 2007 I was already done with Task 3.

As I said, it's all the extraneous crap that you have to do that makes this class so difficult. I did not have fun with this class and I'm not going to miss it. Technical Writing will be a fun one, because you can use that in the "real world." I plan on doing everything that's required for that one.
    The only thing I don't like about the webcam is that I'm not sure what all we're allowed to have for the tests. For example, when I took the BAC1 exam, there were no guidelines that stated whether I could have a piece of scratch paper and pen, etc. I did find info somewhere about being able to have a calculator, though.

I mentioned it to my mentor and she said she wasn't sure either. I guess they don't mind, though, because I passed the test and never heard anything from the proctors.

Given the price of gas and the proximity of the nearest proctor site, I'm ok with sitting still for now. icon_wink.gif

I believe for WGU assessments you can choose to go to a Prometric center. I am very comfortable taking exams at Prometric. The trade off of course is I have the schlep to Manhattan. The webcam allows me to be home, but the tradeoff is I have to be uncomfortable. I'll see how it is for the next exams before I make up my mind.
    Yay, just got the bibliography back from Taskstream:

"Nice work! The submission meets all task requirements. Thank you for your efforts."

On to task 2. I have been putting this class off because I really don't enjoy the topic I picked (pretty smart on my part, huh?), but now I'm just trying to slog through it as quickly as possible.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yay, just got the bibliography back from Taskstream:

"Nice work! The submission meets all task requirements. Thank you for your efforts."

On to task 2. I have been putting this class off because I really don't enjoy the topic I picked (pretty smart on my part, huh?), but now I'm just trying to slog through it as quickly as possible.

Um, so what did you choose? icon_wink.gif

Just suck it up and keep moving along. icon_lol.gif

It'll be over soon enough. :) 2 through 3 are cake before you get to 4....that's really where the "fun" begins... :)

You'll be fine though...IMO, the bibliography was probably the most difficult part....Task 4 would have been fine for me if I had uploaded the correct file for the revision...lol. The final paper was just sweet cleanup though.
    Um, so what did you choose? icon_wink.gif

Well, I supposed I should have phrased that differently. I enjoy the topic, but not wading through the accompanying psychologist longitudinal studies for data. My topic is on the impact of father involvement with child development, specifically as it pertains to cognitive, emotional, and behavioral outcomes.

My first topic was on the impacts of IT certifications on the careers of those who hold them, but finding hard data on that topic was well nigh impossible. All of the "data" was more of the "tastes great" vs. "less filling" of the back and forth between the camps that think certs are necessary vs. those who do not. icon_lol.gif Opinion abounded, data did not.

In any case, my current topic is interesting to research, and at least there is plenty of credible material out there to use. Just a matter of wading through the mind-numbingly dry reports and utlitizing the data.
    Just suck it up and keep moving along. icon_lol.gif

It'll be over soon enough. :) 2 through 3 are cake before you get to 4....that's really where the "fun" begins... :)

You'll be fine though...IMO, the bibliography was probably the most difficult part....Task 4 would have been fine for me if I had uploaded the correct file for the revision...lol. The final paper was just sweet cleanup though.

Good advice, as always. Yeah, I'm sucking it up now, hoping to have task 2 done before church, then we'll see. With my current work schedule, I don't have much time to work on things Mon-Thurs, so I try to get as much done as possible on weekends. Gotta balance that between the family and some downtime, though.

Only thing that is bothering me is that the Taskstream grader mentioned some minor capitalization error found in my bibliography and I've gone over it several times and am unable to find it. It was still marked as acceptable, but just knowing they saw something that didn't meet the APA 6th edition rules that I can't find is driving me nuts. My OCD, I guess.
    Good advice, as always. Yeah, I'm sucking it up now, hoping to have task 2 done before church, then we'll see. With my current work schedule, I don't have much time to work on things Mon-Thurs, so I try to get as much done as possible on weekends. Gotta balance that between the family and some downtime, though.

Only thing that is bothering me is that the Taskstream grader mentioned some minor capitalization error found in my bibliography and I've gone over it several times and am unable to find it. It was still marked as acceptable, but just knowing they saw something that didn't meet the APA 6th edition rules that I can't find is driving me nuts. My OCD, I guess.

I guess you'll really be hot and bothered when your final paper isn't littered with 4s, then? icon_lol.gif

I must have a little of that too, and that might have been why this paper took so long....with everything being just so...lol. I did not have any 4s....I was just "competent"...I sucked it up and now can move toward the next thing, LUT1, which will begin tomorrow. Had a bunch of stuff to do this weekend, and I'm wiped.
    Well, I supposed I should have phrased that differently. I enjoy the topic, but not wading through the accompanying psychologist longitudinal studies for data. My topic is on the impact of father involvement with child development, specifically as it pertains to cognitive, emotional, and behavioral outcomes.

My first topic was on the impacts of IT certifications on the careers of those who hold them, but finding hard data on that topic was well nigh impossible. All of the "data" was more of the "tastes great" vs. "less filling" of the back and forth between the camps that think certs are necessary vs. those who do not. icon_lol.gif Opinion abounded, data did not.

In any case, my current topic is interesting to research, and at least there is plenty of credible material out there to use. Just a matter of wading through the mind-numbingly dry reports and utlitizing the data.

And this is why you want a general topic (preferably NON-IT.) :)

When I read this, I was really tired. I totally missed that last sentence in your first paragraph. But you really said it best as to why you need a general topic instead of something so narrow like IT and IT certifications. Anything that can be found in an academic journal (because they can be short reads) is a topic that should be used.
    Getting ready for my retake of the 70-643 this week. I'm really disappointed with the Trancdender for this test and don't recommend it. I just purchased the measure up for it and I think I'll be ok. I'm not testing high yet but measure upis generally harder than the regular tests. I'm scoring in the 70's in cert mode so I think I'll be ok.
    I've already tested through the included tests to the point that I remember the questions and the same with the transcender. The Transcender tends to test more on just different command line and actually doesn't test the subject as well.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    And this is why you want a general topic (preferably NON-IT.) :)

Because now that you married to IT (and certs at that!), you gotta try to find something academic about it. At least with my topic, I was able to cherry pick from a bunch of academic sources.

Now you're married to this one and it's going to be difficult to make that work....(www.techexams.net, as much it rocks, will not count as a "credible" source (academically, of course)).

You did your bibliography though....so now you have to make your sources work. Remember, you only have to cite something at least *once* from all of your sources...then you're going to have to expand on that in your words....you can cite multiple times from one source, but you must use all ten sources.

Good luck......you are in for a really fun ride..... :)

I think you mis-read my post. My topic isn't about IT certs. It took me a grand total of 2 hours to determine that topic was no good. Accordingly, I came up with my 2nd topic and went with that one instead. It's a perfectly workable topic, as there are family and child development studies and journals out the yin-yang, but it's not exactly my favorite type of reading.

In any case, Tasks 1 through 3 down this weekend, so now I'm working on the rough draft and I should have that completed and the final paper done by the weekend. After that, finally some IT courses. I have 4.5 months left in my 1st term, so I'm not touching another gen ed course until next term. If my mentor isn't on board...new mentor ahoy. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, as for the 4's vs 3's on the grading, yeah that is something that drives me a little nuts. While I am fine with being sloppy for the sake of expediency in some cases, it's the not knowing what the grader is referring to in some cases that drives me nuts. Ah well, it's all good.
    earweed wrote: »
    Getting ready for my retake of the 70-643 this week. I'm really disappointed with the Trancdender for this test and don't recommend it. I just purchased the measure up for it and I think I'll be ok. I'm not testing high yet but measure upis generally harder than the regular tests. I'm scoring in the 70's in cert mode so I think I'll be ok.
    I've already tested through the included tests to the point that I remember the questions and the same with the transcender. The Transcender tends to test more on just different command line and actually doesn't test the subject as well.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do great. icon_thumright.gif
    I think you mis-read my post. My topic isn't about IT certs. It took me a grand total of 2 hours to determine that topic was no good. Accordingly, I came up with my 2nd topic and went with that one instead. It's a perfectly workable topic, as there are family and child development studies and journals out the yin-yang, but it's not exactly my favorite type of reading.

In any case, Tasks 1 through 3 down this weekend, so now I'm working on the rough draft and I should have that completed and the final paper done by the weekend. After that, finally some IT courses. I have 4.5 months left in my 1st term, so I'm not touching another gen ed course until next term. If my mentor isn't on board...new mentor ahoy. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, as for the 4's vs 3's on the grading, yeah that is something that drives me a little nuts. While I am fine with being sloppy for the sake of expediency in some cases, it's the not knowing what the grader is referring to in some cases that drives me nuts. Ah well, it's all good.

Wow, I certainly missed that crucial last sentence in that first paragraph! LOL!!! I will modify that post a bit, as the other stuff is valid and I'm gonna have to chalk that up to the fact that it was a long weekend with my own family issues and it was very tiring. Now that it's over, I can re-prove my reading comprehension...lmao. (So sorry about that, but my response will be fixed and valid. :) ).

BTW, my mentor hinted that there is no "order" to when you do your classes. In theory, you could do TWA1 and CPW3 right now instead of it being your last class. While that may be true, it's probably not a good idea. HOWEVER, everything and anything else, knock yourself out. I have few gen eds left, but I want to start focusing on MS exams...even though that if I studied, I could pass BOTH Project+ and AKV1 before the end of my term. Once I earn my MCITP:EA, everything else is gonna fly. That much I'm sure. Besides, I did Security+ as part of my first 12 CUs....it shouldn't be a problem.
    Personally Erp I think the MS classes will fly for you also as you are an experienced admin. From what I've gotten out of the mastering Server 2008 R2 book so far you could probably get by doing the classes with just that book.
    earweed wrote: »
    Personally Erp I think the MS classes will fly for you also as you are an experienced admin. From what I've gotten out of the mastering Server 2008 R2 book so far you could probably get by doing the classes with just that book.

I've been debating whether to get that book on my Kindle, (spend money) or use part of the $75 in free money to get the hard copy.

Thanks to this, it's going on my Kindle right after LUT1 gets the pass! Especially when you mentioned in your thread that it is good for folks going for 70-640 and 70-642 (but I understand you're focusing on 70-643 as you should).

Thanks, and if I haven't said it already, you're gonna knock 643 out of the park this time! :)
    The way the mastering book is written I'll be reading a lotof it while studying for the 7-647 also.
    Turned in Task1 of 2 for LUT1. If all is well, I'll be knocking it out hopefully tomorrow.

I have considered starting AKV1 right after this (or rather studying for AKV1), but I can wait until the next term. I want to get one MS exam out of the way, and 642 really needs to start now. I'm gonna block out for next term a 3-4 week window for AKV1 as I really need to put in time for that. I do have programming experience, and Javascript doesn't seem that difficult, to me. Project+ I know is going to get done by March. (I want to get the math over and done with...).

But it's looking like English will be done this term. Yay! :D
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Jast Passed my LAT1 that gives me 13 CU's and I only started on Oct 1st. I started LUT1 last night I hope to kick this one out pretty quick.

I am really liking WGU. Be able to go as fast as I want ROCKS!!
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
    Jast Passed my LAT1 that gives me 13 CU's and I only started on Oct 1st. I started LUT1 last night I hope to kick this one out pretty quick.

I am really liking WGU. Be able to go as fast as I want ROCKS!!

Congrats! If you can keep up that pace you will be done in no time.bowing.gif
    WGU grad
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Finished my LAT1. Glad to be done with that!!!! My topic was on IPv6 and the slow adoption here in the US. Intresting topic and I wanted to learn more about IPv6 anyway. Tough part was not making it too technical.

Just finished my outline for LUT1 and need to figure out my visual aid. I think just a pic to show the difference between IPv4 and IPv6 addresses should be enough. If all is good I will be done with this one tomorrow. That will make 15 CU since I started on Oct 1st.

I love this school!!!
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
    That will make 15 CU since I started on Oct 1st.

I strongly dislike you...lolicon_wink.gifbowing.gif
    WGU grad
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just curious if anyone has taken QLC1 recently and if it was similar to the pre-assessment. I know that is such a boring and question asked a lot, but I am pretty stressed over this test for some reason.... I'm not terrible at math or anything, I just really want to get all the math done asap! Thanks.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I strongly dislike you...lolicon_wink.gifbowing.gif

2nd that - And I thought I was doing well with finishing 3 classes (4th on sunday).

Good Job.

Snoorker - I haven't taken QLC1 yet (will on sunday) but I did find out you can use a calculator. So that is good news.

Hi Christopher,

This is math mentor, Jon Martin, and your mentor mentioned that you had some question about your upcoming QLC1 exam. Please feel free to contact your math mentors anytime at ql@wgu.edu.

Yes, you are permitted to use a calculator on all math exams. The official WGU calculator policy is attached above. Any calculators that don’t have CAS (computer algebra systems) or QWERT typewriter keypads are permitted on the exams. I recommend a simple scientific calculator that has Sin, Cos and Tan buttons. The graphing calculator won’t solve what you need to do as far as graphs—you still have to calculate it out and know what you are doing. I normally recommend students spend between 20 and 30 dollars on one. The different brands are fine just whatever you are comfortable with. I would recommend a basic scientific calculator like the TI 30Xa or the Casio FX 300-ES, (both are around $10-20) but any basic scientific calculator should do fine.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    2nd that - And I thought I was doing well with finishing 3 classes (4th on sunday).

Good Job.

Snoorker - I haven't taken QLC1 yet (will on sunday) but I did find out you can use a calculator. So that is good news.

Hi Christopher,

This is math mentor, Jon Martin, and your mentor mentioned that you had some question about your upcoming QLC1 exam. Please feel free to contact your math mentors anytime at ql@wgu.edu.

Yes, you are permitted to use a calculator on all math exams. The official WGU calculator policy is attached above. Any calculators that don’t have CAS (computer algebra systems) or QWERT typewriter keypads are permitted on the exams. I recommend a simple scientific calculator that has Sin, Cos and Tan buttons. The graphing calculator won’t solve what you need to do as far as graphs—you still have to calculate it out and know what you are doing. I normally recommend students spend between 20 and 30 dollars on one. The different brands are fine just whatever you are comfortable with. I would recommend a basic scientific calculator like the TI 30Xa or the Casio FX 300-ES, (both are around $10-20) but any basic scientific calculator should do fine.

I did know that you can use a calculator and that is a bit comforting. For some reason, I am stressed about this test. I think I just need to settle down and relax. I passed the pre assessment recently and am hoping the actual exam has similar questions. :D Good luck to you!