Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Before starting WGU, I thought it would take me 12 months on the short side and 18 months on the long side to complete my degree...

After getting started, I narrowed that target to 8 months on the short side and 12 months on the long side...

Even with this adjustment, I thought I was moving slow. I havent been as focused or put as much time and effort forth as I could have and thought Id be much a few more credits in...

Yet Ive essentially completed 24 CU's since September 1 even with my normal full-time work schedule and picking up a new consulting client...

I sit the exam tomorrow for AKV1 and I submitted my essay for LAE1 tonight as well as the final documents for QLT1 so Im just waiting on grades for those.

Courses Completed
    EWB2, QMC1, WFV1, BBC1, TPV1, LAE1, QLT1, AKV1
    Courses Needed
    CLC1, LAT1, LUT1, WSV1, LET1, ORC1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, GUT1, TWA1, CPW4
    Transferred
    BAC1, INC1, TEV1 , TTV1, INT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, BGV1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, ABV1, BLV1

I plan on having CLC1 finished by end of this month with WDV1 and WSV1 slated for November and the management series (LET1, ORC1, MGC1) slated for December to finish out 2010.

That will put all of the objective assessments behind me with 23 CU's (6 courses) remaining. All of which will be performance exams.

9 CU - IT-Security Capstone
    4 CU - Technical Writing
    3 CU - Object Oriented Design & Development
    3 CU - Intro to Programming
    2 CU - Language & Communication: Research
    2 CU - Language & Communication: Presentation
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    apr911 wrote: »
    That will put all of the objective assessments behind me with 23 CU's (6 courses) remaining. All of which will be performance exams.

9 CU - IT-Security Capstone
    4 CU - Technical Writing
    3 CU - Object Oriented Design & Development
    3 CU - Intro to Programming
    2 CU - Language & Communication: Research
    2 CU - Language & Communication: Presentation

I can see that you must dislike writing....LOL. You should just get LAT1 and LUT1 out of the way....if you're really that busy, you may want to do what I did and take a week off from work (I had a bunch of vacation anyway that I had to use before the end of the year). LUT1 is just a minor annoyance....not as bad as LAT1, but not as cake as LAE1 (though can still be done within the week....it's just a bit more involved).

Speakin' of LAE1, I have it on good authority that the "cakeness" of LAE1 will be modified by next year. They're going to play around with the English components yet again. They want to make LAE1 as difficult as LAT1 because many people are complaining that LAT1 isn't like LAE1....

I kinda had to scratch my head abit on that one, as essay writing is different from research writing....but hey whatever....won't affect me... :D
    Well good thing I finished up LAE1 tonight then (or at least submitted for grading).

Writing isn't the problem so much as the prompts... Im not too worried about about technical writing or LAT1. Im usually pretty good with the research and technical stuff. Have no idea really what to expect from LUT1... but I really struggled with the prompts for LAE1.

Ive written plenty of informative essays and plenty of persuasive essays but never one that had to do both. I also was not a fan of the prompts. If I were trying to convince a "friend" to do any one of the things prompted;
    1. I wouldnt be writing an essay about it.
    2. I would just brow-beat them into doing it.
    3. I would know which buttons to push to convince them.
    4. I wouldnt have to polish it, format it or have it even be grammatically correct

Im also a very private person so anything that involves writing on myself or my motivations for doing something gets very touchy.

The Security Capstone there really is nothing for its delay. Its the capstone project so it has to be done last is my understanding.

The courses that scare me are the programming courses. I havent done a serious programming project in at least a year and written code from scratch in 3 or 4 years. Any programming stuff I have to do is usually just a modification of a previous program to get it to perform the way I want it to.

GTT1 because my java knowledge really doesnt extend to the GUI aspects or the database (Im a PHP or ASP Programming DB type) connection of Java.

GUT1 for pretty much the same reason and the requirement to work with a Peer on the 1st part...

My 2011 plan looks something like this:
    January - LAT1, LUT1, TWA1, either GTT1 or GUT1
    February - Finish programming course. End Term
    March - Last Programming course. Start capstone by mid-month
    April - Finish capstone
    May - Graduate and start MBA?
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    I strongly dislike you...lolicon_wink.gifbowing.gif

LOL :D I have been trying to just get some done every day and treat it like a job.

My mentor suggested the math classes next since I want to get Gen Ed out of the way before any more fun classes.

How hard are the QMC1 and QLC1? Do you think it's possible just to test out of them?
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
    QMC1 Ive already forgotten what stuff was on the exam. I know it was very easy and it was all basic probability and statistics stuff... The hardest part for me was drudging up terms I havent used in a long time (mean, median, mode, etc)

Then again I had 2 levels of Engineering Calculus so whats easy for me might not be so for you...

As for QLT1, same thing really. Its broken into 4 parts.

Part 1 is Graphing
    Part 2 is Linear Equations
    Part 3 is Linear Systems
    Part 4 is Logic & Reasoning

You will be set up with a Pearson "CourseCompass" account for QLT1.

They have a "Workout" assessment for each part that you can do to accelerate through the course. If you score less than 80% you need to do a required homework (more questions). You must work on the homework until you score higher than 80% on it. Then you take another assessment. If you score less than 80% on it, there is another required homework.

You can move on to the task stream tasks once you complete each part with >80% on the "Workout" or the "Homework-->Post-Test"
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    You can move on to the task stream tasks once you complete each part with >80% on the "Workout" or the "Homework-->Post-Test"

I wouldn't say that. I didn't touch the math lab at all. It barely worked for me - it'd be all slow and buggy. QLT1 only took me like 3-4 hours. Isn't hard at all if you follow what they want. As long as you know how to solve y=2x + 4 and show your work - you're golden.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    I sincerely dread taking the math courses....but I'm going to suck it up and do it next term (like I have a choice in the matter....lol).

Task1 for LUT1 (after some jazz with how I copied and pasted stuff from LAT1 for the script outline) was successful. I'm going to watch a couple of LUT1 videos to make sure that I do it right based on my outline...I gotta jot down some stuff, but this shouldn't be a problem. It was terribly ironic that I had to invoke a course mentor for this, but NOT for LAT1. LOL. I have to suck that up for me trying to do this quickly, and as we all know, when it's done quickly, it's usually done sloppy. When I sat down and reworked my script based on her suggestions, I got a "Excellent, Excellent job." LOL.

Then when this is over, it's 19 CUs. I feel like such a slacker... icon_sad.gif This upgrade I'm involved with is quite involved. Hopefully next term will be better. :) If I pass AIV, it will be 25 CUs by the end of the term, then that's it untl 2/1/11 (start of new term).
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Task1 for LUT1 (after some jazz with how I copied and pasted stuff from LAT1 for the script outline) was successful.

Crap that what I did. I am waiting for my task 1 to come back now.

Thanks for the info on the math! Sounds like I can pass one but the other will be tougher. Going to knock those out I get out of LUT1.

• themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I did 45 CU in my first term. By the time I got to 40 I was starting to get burnt out and once I got the 45 I said no more. I'm hoping to another 45 to 60 next term but most of the classes left aren't the easy ones, so I'll see.

For LUT1, for the script, I just copied my intro paragraph, took 2 points from my thesis and copied over the topic paragraphs, then just copied my conclusion. Added the 2 things they required like "slow down" and "look at the audience". Added in my visual aid, changed tense to first person and submitted it. Passed in 3 hours.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    I did 45 CU in my first term. By the time I got to 40 I was starting to get burnt out and once I got the 45 I said no more. I'm hoping to another 45 to 60 next term but most of the classes left aren't the easy ones, so I'll see.

For LUT1, for the script, I just copied my intro paragraph, took 2 points from my thesis and copied over the topic paragraphs, then just copied my conclusion. Added the 2 things they required like "slow down" and "look at the audience". Added in my visual aid, changed tense to first person and submitted it. Passed in 3 hours.

I did just about the same thing. Got a little worried with the copy and paste but I just got back Task1 and it passed. Had some really good comments. Now all I need to do is find the damm charger for my camera. I have chargers everywhere but cant find the one I need.

Sometimes being a geek with all the gadgets is NOT a good thing.

I did just about the same thing. Got a little worried with the copy and paste but I just got back Task1 and it passed. Had some really good comments. Now all I need to do is find the damm charger for my camera. I have chargers everywhere but cant find the one I need.

Sometimes being a geek with all the gadgets is NOT a good thing.

I really rushed that first task of LUT1 though....I mean to the point where the outline was just done sloppy. I did add the slow down stuff, watch time, etc...but I didn't do a good editing job, was all. That really was "my bad." I won't be able to do the presentation until I get home, but it looks like it'll be another win from the good guys. LOL.

Since math is my weakest subject, I want to do those classes in the beginning of the term. I also want to attempt a minimum of one MS exam every 4-6 weeks. Being an MCITP:EA by the summer would be very sweet. Then I'm sure I can do some sweet WGU flyin'.... :D
    Is anyone here in any of the WGU Master's Programs?

Specifically, Im looking at the MBA IT Managment MS program for when I complete my undergrad.

Its still at least 6 months out but doesnt hurt to start looking it over.

Im averaging 12 CU/Month on the BS:IT Security program and the MBA IT Managment is 36 CU's. Do you think its doable in 1 term?

-APR911
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    For everyone talking about the math courses, do you know if they will let us bring in a note card with the formulas. It was permitted at my last school but I didn't know if WGU allowed the same policy. I need to hit Liz up..lol
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Is anyone here in any of the WGU Master's Programs?

Specifically, Im looking at the MBA IT Managment MS program for when I complete my undergrad.

Its still at least 6 months out but doesnt hurt to start looking it over.

Im averaging 12 CU/Month on the BS:IT Security program and the MBA IT Managment is 36 CU's. Do you think its doable in 1 term?

-Tony

Have you been doing any of the writing-intensive courses with WGU yet? I'd imagine the MBA-ITM is writing intensive, and I wouldn't count on it being doable in anything less than 3 terms, or a year and a half.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    jahsoul wrote: »
    For everyone talking about the math courses, do you know if they will let us bring in a note card with the formulas. It was permitted at my last school but I didn't know if WGU allowed the same policy. I need to hit Liz up..lol

For QMC1, you are not allowed to take anything other than a calculator, I would assume QLC1 and CLC1 are the same. From what Ive seen both from QMC1 and my prep work for CLC1, formula notes wouldnt help you on these exams anyway. They aren't really about "can you memorize this formula" and are more about can you execute this formula (assuming there even is a formula). I cant speak to QLC1 as I dont have to take it and havent looked at.

QMT1 is a performance assessment so you can use any notes you'd like to complete it.
    petedude wrote: »
    Have you been doing any of the writing-intensive courses with WGU yet? I'd imagine the MBA-ITM is writing intensive, and I wouldn't count on it being doable in anything less than 3 terms, or a year and a half.

Ive started on some of the more writing intensive courses and so far, while tedious, they havent been too difficult or time consuming.

Looking over the course work for the MBA program, it looks like they expect 8-9 CU's per term. The 1st is the exception with 11 (including a 1 CU EWB course).

I couldnt tell if this was because the courses are longer or if because the expectation is that students will only be working on it part time. Which is why Im trying to find someone who has gone through it.

That being said, 1 term would be really tight considering that it would be at least 2 classes (regardless of CU's) per month over the 6 month term but with EWB it seems like it probably could be managed if you can devote enough time to it... Maybe a term and a half would be more realistic.

-APR911
    Looking over the course work for the MBA program, it looks like they expect 8-9 CU's per term. The 1st is the exception with 11 (including a 1 CU EWB course).

-APR911

I thought I read from someone that they wave the EWB class if you took it for your BS

I thought I read from someone that they wave the EWB class if you took it for your BS

They probably do but even if they dont I finished by EWB in a single day so it wouldnt be a big deal...

Right now Im having troubles with my Mentor in my BS program... Nothing too serious, he's been great so far and has approved everything Ive asked for when Ive asked for it up till now but this past week for whatever reason he has been unwilling and/or just generally slow to approve stuff for me. Which is more than a bit frustrating because even though I understand his reasoning, it is still slowing me down.

As it is I usually end up having to wait until the next day or later (on Friday/Saturday) to get the approvals since he is not available when Im most productive, so introducing additional delays to the system is just annoying...
  • madmanmuromadmanmuro Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So my first paper I submitted needs some revisions. I read their comments and I really don't agree with them and see how my interpretations are wrong. What am I supposed to do in this situation. It's hard to make any changes I'm about to just rewrite the whole thing.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    im going to be honest, all the graders are different. early on i found that simply resubmitting the same paper would sometimes result in a pass
    TheQGuru wrote: »
    Masters in Security and Assurance

I'm currently in the program and very happy so far.

I've only been working on Perfomance Assestment based classes right now and really like how they have the classes laid out and writing assignments. I've never been a writer but they somewhat make it easy if you put the time in. When I first started thinking about WGU, I did not think there would be as many writing assignments as there is.

I only work on classwork about 10 hours a week, they recommend 20, but since I started in August I've completed 9 credits, and wrapping up 3 more by the end of the week. I think I will be able to get through 18-26 credits this semester.

I would do it over again if I knew everything I knew now.

It seems that if the MBA is anything like the MS:IA course load, it should be completely doable in a term...

Double the time spent to 20 hours a week and, in theory at least, you can double the number of CU's which puts you at 36 on the low side. Right on the numbers!

Though Id still love to hear anyone's experience with the MBA:IT Mgmt program.
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    im going to be honest, all the graders are different. early on i found that simply resubmitting the same paper would sometimes result in a pass

I am going to have to +1 this!

Sometimes graders will let you slide and others depending on their "mood", will ding you on the dumbest of things.....

I can't wait to hear back on LUT1........this was not supposed to be that ridiculous.
    Well, my English requirements have been conquered. 100% SAP!

LUT1 was a pain in the arse, but not in the same way as LAT1. Just a bunch of nonsense that has to be done and formatted just so. Whatever, I showed that I can speak and I gave the grader everything he wanted. Read the Task2 bit multiple times and double and tripled check to make sure I didn't forget anything. I did NOT rush this at all. Admittedly, Task1 was rushed, but I just wanted to get started on AIV1 (not enrolled, but I have all of my learning resources...only enrolling when I want a voucher). 19 CUs in a little over 2 and a half months....I'll take that. Maybe 25 but I won't know until after I study for AIV1 (70-642).

I need sleep.........today sucks. Depending on how I feel, I think I'm just gonna sleep in today. One more night won't kill me. We'll see how it goes.
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Congrats on finishing the english!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    From a comment posted in July (not by me). . .
    Hello All,
    I am half way through my MBA program in 5 months. I do have an undergraduate degree in business. It doesn't make the MBA any easier. I have studied extremely hard. They say 20 hours a week. I am doing 8-12 hours a day. That is why I can do so many classes in 5 months. I am no genius.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    That can be almost any program though, especially if you already have your required certs like MCITP:EA, CCNA:Security, etc. I just looked at how many classes I have left. If I was able to do 3 classes every month for 6 months, I get to graduate. For me to do that, I'd probably have to do 8-12 hours a day....plus max out my weekends. I didn't do anything WGU-like in September, (well, in terms of finishing classes). I could have, but between work and home, it would have been a bit rough.

Then there are potential burnout issues....I do not want that to be me.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have my intro to college math test this weekend. Anyone have any trouble with it? My mentor seems to think I can do it pretty easy. I'm not very good at math.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Geez you guys....I thought I was doing good with 30 CU's in my first term. I couldn't image doing 45. But I will say, that is awesome! I plan on doing another 20-30 this term as well. My goal is to finish in a year and a half.
    Ok guys,

I've got 19 CUs under my belt. I got 77 more to go. I have access to all of my AIV resources (LABSIM and I believe MeasureUp, though I'm gonna utilize uCertify as well and see how that fares against Transcenders) without enrolling in AIV (so whatever happens I'll have 100% SAP).

I did the math. According to my sig, I have (including the MS classes) 16 classes left. If I did 3 classes a month beginning next term, I will be a WGU graduate. My "strategery" [I'm in a Bush mood...lol] is to get AIV out of the way this term and then study for 70-642. Then next term study for AHV1 (assuming of course I pass AIV1) and take that along with QLC1 and QLT1 for the initial 12 CUs. Then just incorporate an MS exam every 4-6 weeks....seems doable if I start to really hustle.

What do you guys think? I don't want to burn out...but I don't want to drag my feet either.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like a good plan. Just don't burn yourself out.
    U-certify was good for the 640 when I used it. I've been finding Transcender less than adequate for the 643. It seems to just test how well you do with CLI and not much else. Hopefully transcender for the 647 (which I already have) will help more.

For my 647 studies I have books, Trainsignal, Labsim, and Transcender and I'm gonna post later which resources help the most. I haven't decided if I'll utilize IT Academy for this course or not as it hasn't helped a lot in the past.
    When I say books I have MS Press, Sybex, Syngress, Darril Gibsons book, and the Mastering R2 book.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.