Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Ok guys,

I've got 19 CUs under my belt. I got 77 more to go. I have access to all of my AIV resources (LABSIM and I believe MeasureUp, though I'm gonna utilize uCertify as well and see how that fares against Transcenders) without enrolling in AIV (so whatever happens I'll have 100% SAP).

I did the math. According to my sig, I have (including the MS classes) 16 classes left. If I did 3 classes a month beginning next term, I will be a WGU graduate. My "strategery" [I'm in a Bush mood...lol] is to get AIV out of the way this term and then study for 70-642. Then next term study for AHV1 (assuming of course I pass AIV1) and take that along with QLC1 and QLT1 for the initial 12 CUs. Then just incorporate an MS exam every 4-6 weeks....seems doable if I start to really hustle.

What do you guys think? I don't want to burn out...but I don't want to drag my feet either.

As with most everything else related to individual progress at WGU, the only accurate feedback that can be given will be given by yourself. Given that everyone's study habits, drive, family situation, work times, etc, are different, it is almost impossible to give good advice.

The only thing that I will say is this: many people (including myself) will read some of the posts here and elsewhere of the people knocking out 45 credits every 2 days and suddenly find themselves unhappy with their own progress. As we all know, but are all prone to forget, you cannot go through life measuring yourself against the success of others. Yes, use inspiring success stories to motivate yourself, but don't let your own realistic goals that are based on your unique circumstances be compromised by the intrinsic urge of comparing yourself against statistical outliers.

If your plan is achievable based on your circumstances and stated intent of not burning out, then go for it. If it's overly aggressive, tone it down a bit to prevent the mental self-flagellation later on. It's healthy to drive toward a goal, but tearing yourself down in an attempt to do something that isn't realistic is stress we all can do without.

Ok, final thought then I'll shut up: at the end of our lives, whenever that may be, if we have the chance, we're not going to look back and wish we had more certs, worked more overtime, or scored higher on an MS exam. We're going to take pleasure in the relationships we formed, the people we will miss and who will miss us when we're gone and we're probably going to wish we'd spent more time with those we love. Yes, that's probably a little melodramatic, but remember that none of us are promised tomorrow. The pursuit of self-improvement and career is a good and proper thing, but don't do so at the expense of the relationships and the quality of relationships you have in your life.

Oh, and I see your "strategery" and I raise you "I've now been in all 57 states". icon_lol.gif
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Earweed and Excellent1,

Thanks...I do tell myself that it's not a race.

Today will be when I start my AIV1 studies. Will watch videos, read my Mastering 08 R2 book and Sybex book(it's now on my Kindle), and post in my experiences thread. May even open up an MS Press book. I won't bother with uCertify until I have gone through the objectives and am confident enough to take a practice exam. Pretty much the same level of attack I gave for all my certs (with the exception of CIW, of course...that's probably the only cert I just walked in and passed....). Only when I feel confident that I'll pass will I enroll and schedule my voucher. What I hate about my plan is that I could be studying for other things like Javascript or Project+, but it'll be safer if I do those next term, preferably after my math. But if I can do 25 CUs this term, I'll be happy with that. I just don't want to feel like I'm slacking, :)

(Excellent1, btw if, I like my poker hand...when I call, you'll definitely lose. I'll just leave it at that though; was just having some good fun. icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif)
    (Excellent1, btw if, I like my poker hand...when I call, you'll definitely lose. I'll just leave it at that though; was just having some good fun. icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif)

Definitely lose, huh? Be careful, my friend--your frothing partisanship is showing. icon_lol.gif

Just so you don't bother wasting your time with additional veiled political insults, I don't support any party. I enjoy showing the Bush bashers the hypocrisy of their ways, however, given the fallibility of all politicians. icon_wink.gif

Good luck in your endeavors, whatever they may be.
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Definitely lose, huh? Be careful, my friend--your frothing partisanship is showing. icon_lol.gif

Just so you don't bother wasting your time with additional veiled political insults, I don't support any party. I enjoy showing the Bush bashers the hypocrisy of their ways, however, given the fallibility of all politicians. icon_wink.gif

Good luck in your endeavors, whatever they may be.

LMAO! Touche on definitely....and if you must know, "my frothing partisanship" is more middle of the road then anything else (I did vote for both...). I promise you that I will end this here and I'll ask those to do the same. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I meant no insults in anycase, veiled or otherwise. icon_cool.gif Was just having lighthearted fun and will keep it as such.
    LMAO! Touche on definitely....and if you must know, "my frothing partisanship" is more middle of the road then anything else (I did vote for both...). I promise you that I will end this here and I'll ask those to do the same. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I meant no insults in anycase, veiled or otherwise. icon_cool.gif Was just having lighthearted fun and will keep it as such.

No worries, my friend. I have friends across all spectrums of faiths and politics. While it is becoming increasingly rare these days, it is possible to disagree with someone's ideology while still respecting that individual and valuing them for who they are, not what "team" they're on. icon_wink.gif

Regardless, back to LAT1 Task 4. May the farce be with me, etc.
    Regardless, back to LAT1 Task 4. May the farce be with me, etc.

Make sure you constantly save that draft, as well as making sure the track changes/balloons are there. If I had uploaded the right file, LAT1 would have been done a day earlier......but that was completely my fault.
    I just passed CLC1 today. My advice for anyone thinking about taking it- take the pre-assesment and if you pass....schedule the test. I didn't even study and passed. Most of the exam is common sense. Now on to my next task as I am trying to get the research paper done before the term ends!

I had to do some homework to find this nugget (as it was in the Q/A thread... icon_razz.gif but that's what the "search" function is for anyway, right?).

I will throw CLC1 on the barbie when I talk to my mentor today. I will treat this exam like BBC1. I can still study for AIV1 while adding an easy 3 CUs. So 22 (hopefully 28 ) CUs won't be such a bad deal.
    I had to do some homework to find this nugget (as it was in the Q/A thread... icon_razz.gif but that's what the "search" function is for anyway, right?).

I will throw CLC1 on the barbie when I talk to my mentor today. I will treat this exam like BBC1. I can still study for AIV1 while adding an easy 3 CUs. So 22 (hopefully 28 ) CUs won't be such a bad deal.

My mentor is trying to dictate the classes I take, which I am finding somewhat disappointing. I had to let the ultra-polite demeanor slip just a bit today when I remarked on the classes I will be taking next. While I welcome and appreciate my mentor's advice, it appears she is one of those individuals that will attempt to walk on you until you show them that being a doormat is not among your current list of character defects. icon_wink.gif
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    My mentor is trying to dictate the classes I take, which I am finding somewhat disappointing. I had to let the ultra-polite demeanor slip just a bit today when I remarked on the classes I will be taking next. While I welcome and appreciate my mentor's advice, it appears she is one of those individuals that will attempt to walk on you until you show them that being a doormat is not among your current list of character defects. icon_wink.gif

Who do you have? I have Ann and she has been great and really flexible on what I feel comfortable taking first. You have to be stern, it is your grade not theirs. I just finished this term in 6 weeks and now started on my "additional" classes (MS 70-680) to get more CU in before the end of Feb.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1

If I had a mentor like that, I would ask for another one. Especially if she was one that forced me to use ExamFarce. Thankfully, my mentor is not like that...he pretty much believes in me, and that's very important.

You and your mentor have to be on the same page, or else it is waste of time for you.
    ajmatson wrote: »
    Who do you have? I have Ann and she has been great and really flexible on what I feel comfortable taking first. You have to be stern, it is your grade not theirs. I just finished this term in 6 weeks and now started on my "additional" classes (MS 70-680) to get more CU in before the end of Feb.

I won't share a name, as my intent is not to demonize my mentor, but to share my experience. I agree with you, however, and after my discussion this morning, I am confident that all is well. As I hinted at previously, being walked on isn't something I've ever been very good at. icon_wink.gif
    I won't share a name, as my intent is not to demonize my mentor, but to share my experience. I agree with you, however, and after my discussion this morning, I am confident that all is well. As I hinted at previously, being walked on isn't something I've ever been very good at. icon_wink.gif

You and I have a lot in common in that regard....lmao.

I try to be diplomatic when possible...

However, when speaking softly does not work, that's when the big stick that's carried gets shown (and hopefully not used)...to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt. :)
    You and I have a lot in common in that regard....lmao.

I try to be diplomatic when possible...

However, when speaking softly does not work, that's when the big stick that's carried gets shown (and hopefully not used)...to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt. :)

Yeah, I've spent the last 12 years working with people in the automotive and steel fabrication industries. When you have 30+ guys that throw 100 pound steel panels around all day working for you, you learn to communicate in a fairly direct fashion early on. I guess the fact that I was one of them for a while helps, but yeah, seeing through BS and pushing through bureaucratic red tape is something I'm used to doing.

On a positive note, Task 4 is almost done. Appreciate the heads up regarding the track changes feature. Will save some time, for sure.
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Just got the taskstream notice that LUT1 is done. That makes it 15 cu's since I started Oct 1st. Please don't take me as an example though. I work from home with my own business and I can spend as much time as I want studying plus the weekends.

I have a special fire under me since my business sales stink right now and I will need to go back to the 9 to 5 world before too long.

I really didnt need the degree when I was doing IT before since I was self taught and learned the rest through just doing it. Left IT to start my own business 8 years ago and ran my own servers and other hardware since then.

Now its tough to even get an interview without a degree but you all know how it is. Too many people not enough jobs. I am hoping this plus the masters will help. Just need to keep the business on life support long enough to get my degrees.

That being said this math class is not as easy as I thought it would be. Been way too long since I did this stuff. Not as much stuck as I thought.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I thought I read from someone that they wave the EWB class if you took it for your BS

I read elsewhere that you take EWB, but just a few modules.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    petedude wrote: »
    I read elsewhere that you take EWB, but just a few modules.

When I started my Masters EWB already showed as passed, but I still had to do few of the modules. I finished a bulk of that in a few hours. They wouldn't allow the AAV to be set until then.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
    I'm curious if any of you are purchasing the optional texts for some of the courses at WGU. I bought 3 books from half.com, and there were problems with all 3, haha.

What's the best place to pick up used books, for those buying them? Thanks.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I buy most of mine from amazon. Or some of the many book renting sites. But I have found out that buying used from Amazon then reselling them back I can get them almost free.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    I buy most of mine from amazon. Or some of the many book renting sites. But I have found out that buying used from Amazon then reselling them back I can get them almost free.

Makes sense, thanks for the feedback. I know it may seem strange, but I like to have (and keep) the hardback books for the courses I'm going through. I'll probably get over that habit by the end, though.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've bought used from amazon before. Most of the books have arrived looking really nice.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    "Well done! The essay is informative and relevant. This meets standards."

Well, LAT1 is now over. I can definitely see why most of you folks are glad to get that out of the way. It's a good feeling.

Just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for posting comments and tips/advice on the most efficient way through this course. Not having to reinvent the wheel definitely helped this go much faster and more smoothly than it would have without the helpful comments. I didn't have to re-submit anything from the 5 tasks, so while it wasn't perfect, it was good enough. Suits me. icon_wink.gif
    "Well done! The essay is informative and relevant. This meets standards."

Well, LAT1 is now over. I can definitely see why most of you folks are glad to get that out of the way. It's a good feeling.

Just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for posting comments and tips/advice on the most efficient way through this course. Not having to reinvent the wheel definitely helped this go much faster and more smoothly than it would have without the helpful comments. I didn't have to re-submit anything from the 5 tasks, so while it wasn't perfect, it was good enough. Suits me. icon_wink.gif

LUT1 should be somewhat cake. It's not as hard as LAT1 (definitely can be done between a couple of hours to a couple of days), but it is a different PITA. After LUT1, if you haven't done a PHIL course, knock out CLC1. Just did the pre-assessment.....normally I like being sober, but I had a "tall boy" of beer from the biergarten that opened up by the job (really nice....lol). In any event, with beer in my system, I sat for the preassessment....75%.

CLC1's cut score is normally 58%...that's going up to 70% beginning 11/1/2010 (thank God I'm taking it now....). I believe I should be around 75-80 anyway, but still...lol. I'm shooting for 10/30/2010. (Told my mentor it better happen...lmao, he knows I'm the real deal. :) I'm not doing 100 CUs a week, but I'm (overall) happy with my progress.)

In a few minutes, I'm finally gonna start AIV1. All of my chores are done today! YAY!!! :D
    CLC1's cut score is normally 58%...that's going up to 70% beginning 11/1/2010 (thank God I'm taking it now....)

Thanks for the heads up. Where did you get that information? I tend to avoid the communities, not out of any aversion to them, but just not in the habit of visiting them. That said, I've seen a lot of folks talking about upcoming changes, but I'm not sure if they are getting that info from the communities forums or where, exactly.

As for CLC1, I had already planned to take it, but I won't do so before it changes, so I'll just have to roll with the higher cut score.
    Thanks for the heads up. Where did you get that information? I tend to avoid the communities, not out of any aversion to them, but just not in the habit of visiting them. That said, I've seen a lot of folks talking about upcoming changes, but I'm not sure if they are getting that info from the communities forums or where, exactly.

As for CLC1, I had already planned to take it, but I won't do so before it changes, so I'll just have to roll with the higher cut score.

It is in the community, posted by one of the course mentors. I would have posted a link, but if you're not in the course, it would have made no sense to do so. But I did read it there. I usually go to some of them out of boredom....but for LAT1 I did not do it once. LUT1 I had to find a course mentor so she can get me straight on task1....once she did that, task2 was a breeze. I personally did not care for the experience, but I'll spare you and everyone else those details. :)
    I'm curious if any of you are purchasing the optional texts for some of the courses at WGU. I bought 3 books from half.com, and there were problems with all 3, haha.

What's the best place to pick up used books, for those buying them? Thanks.
    I get most of mine at amazon especially if they have an ebook with them so I can have a copy on my Nook. It's nice to have a reference and less books to move and store. When it goes out of date I just delete it.

I was freaking out yesterday about this class. I just couldnt seem to get the probility stuff through my old thick skull. Finally start getting 100% on the homeworks and got through it. After that I just sailed through the rest.

If any one has it in their plans its not too bad. I hate statistics and if I can do it anyone can.

2 more modules to go then going to sit the test as soon as they let me.

• apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey all,

Believe it or not, I have yet to use any WGU resources for my completed courses.... Ive been using my own study material and drawing from existing knowledge/past experiences....

That's about to change...

Im enrolled in WSV1 Web Technologies which is really CIW Site Designer.

Ive done plenty of web design and although CIW seems fascinated with programming atrocities (i.e. Framse), Im not too concerned about the course.

I usually use the post-tests for my material as the start point to brush up, refresh and then go back fill in whatever holes exist.....

However, I dont have access to my own review material this time around...

MCMCSE has a post test but they ask questions about Frontpage 2000 and Dreamweaver 3... (CS5 = ver 11)

So I figured Id go use the WGU material...

The course has the following material

ExamForce CramMaster
    LearnKey OnlineExpert
    ProSoftSQL CIW Practice Exams
    ComputerPrep CIW Site Designer (being mailed)

For those of you have taken the course, what did you find to be the best? worst?

For those of you who haven't taken the course, any recommendations you can make on WGU material I should steer clear from or that you found particularly helpful?

Thanks all,
    APR911
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started taking the course (could have finished but they changed my program and I opted out). I got the knowledge but not the cert. The test hasn't been upgraded since about 2003 so you're gonna be reviewing with WGUs course material (unless CIW has updated the test since then). The COS will have you use newer stuff than the test will cover but that's a good thing, knowledgewise. Get in contact with the course mentor.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Looks like I'll be doing the same, myself. I have to take it on November 2 (Oct 30th is all booked up). I did score a 75 on the 1st of three assessments...even though I probably don't have to, I want to look over the mindedge over the stuff I didn't get right. I won't be hardcore studying for it, just want to casually read it. (Since I have the time...lol).

But I too will be set to the higher standard....lol.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like I'll be doing the same, myself. I have to take it on November 2 (Oct 30th is all booked up).

It would make sense for it to be based on when the AAV for the course is accepted. Maybe the testing system can't handle multiple test settings icon_rolleyes.gif

Sounds like an easy test in the first place, but changes from the date the test is scheduled to the actual test date is going to tick some people off.

Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1