Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I haven't taken it yet, but I'm pretty much treating AKV1 the same way I treated all the other cert courses...study, practice test, pass. With AKV1, I'll use the mcmcse.com guide, the links that were posted earlier and uCertify. That will be my last non-MS cert.

Well AKV1 is JavaSCRIPT, not full out Java. If he is in the programing degree plan he may have a full Java class.

I'm debating taking Security+ next or AKV1 next. I'm leaning to Security+, since it will help me in my job sooner rather than later. Where as javascript is pretty useless to me, and I already learned it pretty proficiently in the past.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Anyone have any tips for INC1 (integrated natural science)? It is a massive amount of material to cover. It is also my last class for the semester and I think I have reached the burnout stage.
    WGU grad
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Anyone else find it a little ironic that an online college teaching programming and IT things frequently craps itself with internal configuration errors of many different kinds?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • BerryKixBerryKix Banned Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As has been said, AKV1 is javascript, not Java. Javascript is very simple compared to Java and you'll complete AKV1 very easily. The problem with the Java class is that the curriculum is very introductory, but the tasks aren't. You are going to be thrown into tasks that go beyond what you've learned and there is no way for you to get help other than to scour the web for tutorials and go to forums for help. Asking the mentor will always result in "please refer to the CoS section blah blah blah." I don't think the mentor even knows Java. Also, I'm in the security program. I'm pretty sure everyone has to take GUT1 and objected oriented programming, so there's 2 java courses and a total of 6 tasks. Out of the entire program, the Java is the hardest and most frustrating.
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Did you knock these two out yet? I know you've been rolling at an unholy pace, so I wanted to see how you fared on the actual tests. I just took the pre-assessments for the hell of it and was in the mid 70's. If the actual assessment is anything like the pre-assessment, I'm just going to schedule these and get another 8 CU's knocked out.

If you (or anyone that has completed these) can let me know if the actual tests are close to the pre-assessments, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I did MGC1 last Wed and just finished ORC1 a few minutes ago. The preassessments are very close and my scores were within a few points of each other. For ORC1 I barely used the book and used all the skillsoft modules listed in the COS. I know now there are a few things in the book that skillsoft didnt cover. There was some terminolgy I missed or the book calls it something different which is on the test. Nice thing is the concepts are the same and most management stuff comes down to common sense. I was able to sqeak by on both but I passed.

I know I am moving really fast. Treating this like a job and putting in 8-12 hours a day studying has really kept me motivated. For me it's really no different than a job I like. I was even studying while on vacation in Florida over Thanksgiving. I had scheduled a test for when I got back so I knew it had to get done.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MY apologies for confusing Javascript and Java...I was/am aware there was/is a difference. I don't plan on going through the curriculum with AKV1 though...though I'm probably going to spend more time then usual making sure I can pass it.
    Anyone have any tips for INC1 (integrated natural science)? It is a massive amount of material to cover. It is also my last class for the semester and I think I have reached the burnout stage.

Someone here suggested to do all the lecture powerpoints in the Course Community. Make sure you have lots of coffee since some of them are almost 2 hours. After whatching those I skimmed the chapters to answer the questions in the study guide that were not on the videos. I was stressing hard about that test but ended up scoring 85% on it.

The course Mentors on this one are REALLY good. They have put alot of work into extra material.

Best thing is now I can explain how an atom is made up in case it comes up in an interview. icon_cheers.gif

Best thing is now I can explain how an atom is made up in case it comes up in an interview. icon_cheers.gif

Proton, electron and neutron? Is there really more to it than that? :)

I gotta take INT1...(grrrr...almost can't wait until the next term for that...)

INT isn't bad. It is just two powerpoint presentations and an experiment and paper on your experiment. It took me about two weeks and most of that was waiting on the graders.

Thanks for the tips on INC1 Road!
    WGU grad
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    BerryKix wrote: »
    . . .You are going to be thrown into tasks that go beyond what you've learned and there is no way for you to get help other than to scour the web for tutorials and go to forums for help. Asking the mentor will always result in "please refer to the CoS section blah blah blah." . . .

For AKV1, that's a good thing. I think for the objective assessments, one should be ready to dig in and learn beyond what's in the COS.

For Java. . . that's another thing entirely. WGU could really use an expert mentor for the Java courses.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Took the pre assessment for ORC1. I got 52%, only 2 sections that I got under 50% in - individual behavior and leadership. Just going to read those sections and be done with it. Going to take the MGC1 pre assessment tonight. If I get a good score on that I'm going to aim to take both around the end of the month.

For INC1 and INT1 - watch the videos!!! The course mentors are great. My fav is the $8 candy bar presentation. Take the advice that is on the community, you just can't sit down read the book and pass. INC1 requires a lot of guiding, know what you're reading, what you're looking for and then make sure you understand it. INT1 isn't bad, just the science experiment takes a little bit a work.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□

Don't forget quarks and the binding force of the gluons.....lol
    eansdad wrote: »
    Don't forget quarks and the binding force of the gluons.....lol

Ahhh...that's probably discussed either in HS Physics or Physics 101.

Protons, etc was 5th grade science. Only reasons I took Physics (HS) was because my GF at the time took it, and I was big on Star Trek: TNG at the time. :) Chemistry was my favorite of the sciences. Bio was the least.
  • BerryKixBerryKix Banned Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For AKV1, that's a good thing. I think for the objective assessments, one should be ready to dig in and learn beyond what's in the COS.

For Java. . . that's another thing entirely. WGU could really use an expert mentor for the Java courses.

Sorry, I meant Java not javascript. Javascript all you do is take the CIW certification and it's really easy. The Java is what I was talking about. You'll learn really introductory stuff then you have to go complete reasonably advanced tasks that go beyond what you learned. Since the mentor is completely useless, have fun trying to find the information.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    im trying to get mgc1, let1 and orc1 all done at the same time, two of them use the same book and all of them cover basically the same info

i just hate taskstream classes
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Very happy after receiving my transfer evaluation. (See Below) I really don't have too much to complain about since I got more than I thought I would. And my enrollment counselor was decent too. (Alex Kenney) Can't wait for Jan 1st now!
    citinerd wrote: »
    Very happy after receiving my transfer evaluation. (See Below) I really don't have too much to complain about since I got more than I thought I would. And my enrollment counselor was decent too. (Alex Kenney) Can't wait for Jan 1st now!

All I got to say is...you're welcome. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Did you get any canned responses in email though? Hope that improved with him.

From the looks of it, you should be able to knock that out in one term (two tops!), if that's all of your classes. I wish you the best of luck!
    All I got to say is...you're welcome. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Did you get any canned responses in email though? Hope that improved with him.

From the looks of it, you should be able to knock that out in one term (two tops!), if that's all of your classes. I wish you the best of luck!

Yeah I got canned responses, but on the phone he was pretty good. I have to thank you for the sig since I borrowed it icon_lol.gif

I will probably need 2 terms since I work full time and have a wife and daughter. But if I stay on 3rd shift that will help.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Dang that is some good transfer credit. Congratulations!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    citinerd wrote: »
    Yeah I got canned responses, but on the phone he was pretty good. I have to thank you for the sig since I borrowed it icon_lol.gif

I will probably need 2 terms since I work full time and have a wife and daughter. But if I stay on 3rd shift that will help.

If you can dedicate at least 4 hours a day (whenever that is), plus enough time on the weekends, you should be ok. You're gonna do a spreadsheet with your mentor, so you'll figure out what's best.

I'm guessing EWB will be done on Sunday (unless WGU will actually have it on New Years). Assuming you're not hungover, definitely get that done that day...allocate 5-7 hours for it. No need to spread that out two days or more...lol.

As for the sig, I can't remember who I based it out of, but I did modify it to have it look the way it does. I am glad to see folks with it though, as I like to see others' progress.

I'm also guessin' you'll be doing WFV1 first after EWB...just ask your mentor to give you the voucher "yesterday." With your certs, the only thing you'll be boning up on is HTML...the mcmcse.com guide will do the job nicely enough. You should have no problem passing it and calling it a day.

Best of luck!
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I did MGC1 last Wed and just finished ORC1 a few minutes ago. The preassessments are very close and my scores were within a few points of each other. For ORC1 I barely used the book and used all the skillsoft modules listed in the COS. I know now there are a few things in the book that skillsoft didnt cover. There was some terminolgy I missed or the book calls it something different which is on the test. Nice thing is the concepts are the same and most management stuff comes down to common sense. I was able to sqeak by on both but I passed.

I know I am moving really fast. Treating this like a job and putting in 8-12 hours a day studying has really kept me motivated. For me it's really no different than a job I like. I was even studying while on vacation in Florida over Thanksgiving. I had scheduled a teat for when I got back so I knew it had to get done.

You guys might think I am crazy but when I keep doing the math I THINK I can finish everything in one semester. When I first started I thought no way and that this was going to take at the least 1 year. But moving at the pace I am it looks possible. The only thing that worries me is now I am moving into the core classes and it will take more time. I was worried that I am going too fast and I am not retaining anything but I asked my mentor to open a few pre-assements in classes I already passed to see how I would do. Seems like the stuff is still there and I even got a few points higher on a couple of the tests.

What do you all think? Should I go for it? Do you think it's doable?

It's doable, but only you can decide if it's best for your situation. Like you, I was worried about retaining some things by going too fast, but I'm not moving as quickly as you are.

All I can tell you is that I wouldn't push yourself to the point of burnout. Give yourself the space you need to do it right and, other than that, knock em out. Either way, best of luck with it.

Right now I'm trying to evaluate whether I can finish in 1 term. I think I can do it, but it's really going to come down to some of the MS certs. If I find myself burning out, though, I'll be pulling the eject handle and coasting to a 3 term graduation. That's my plan at the moment.

Actually, I might go for a 3rd term anyway, just so I can take advantage of some of the $60 MS certs we qualify through the academic program, haha. Time will tell.
    I'm also guessin' you'll be doing WFV1 first after EWB...just ask your mentor to give you the voucher "yesterday." With your certs, the only thing you'll be boning up on is HTML...the mcmcse.com guide will do the job nicely enough. You should have no problem passing it and calling it a day.

Best of luck!

A guy at work sat for it without opening the book and passed it, so I think I should be up to par for it. icon_surprised.gif

And thanks for the Luck I may need it when I am lacking sleep.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    It's doable, but only you can decide if it's best for your situation. Like you, I was worried about retaining some things by going too fast, but I'm not moving as quickly as you are.

All I can tell you is that I wouldn't push yourself to the point of burnout. Give yourself the space you need to do it right and, other than that, knock em out. Either way, best of luck with it.

Right now I'm trying to evaluate whether I can finish in 1 term. I think I can do it, but it's really going to come down to some of the MS certs. If I find myself burning out, though, I'll be pulling the eject handle and coasting to a 3 term graduation. That's my plan at the moment.

Actually, I might go for a 3rd term anyway, just so I can take advantage of some of the $60 MS certs we qualify through the academic program, haha. Time will tell.

my plan is to do all the non ms classes asap and take a little more time on the ms classes for better retention
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    For any of you, who took ORC1, did you use the online proctoring from home via webcam? Just wondering your experience with it, any tips or comments you can share? I will have one this Saturday.
    You will be fine with the online proctoring. The hard part is setting up the camera with a 45 degree angle between you and the monitor and be able to view your mouse and also sitting there and not moving for an extended period of time. The last test I took I got my foot caught in the cable and pulled the camera off the desk and had to call in to restart the test.

I am kind of dreading taking INC1 with the online proctoring since it is 78 questions. That is a long time to sit without moving, but all my local testing centers are closed since the schools are closed for semester break.
    WGU grad
    You will be fine with the online proctoring. The hard part is setting up the camera with a 45 degree angle between you and the monitor and be able to view your mouse and also sitting there and not moving for an extended period of time. The last test I took I got my foot caught in the cable and pulled the camera off the desk and had to call in to restart the test.

I am kind of dreading taking INC1 with the online proctoring since it is 78 questions. That is a long time to sit without moving, but all my local testing centers are closed since the schools are closed for semester break.

Okay, yeah, that's what I need to do next. Clean up my desk. Thanks for the info.
    simtech wrote: »
    For any of you, who took ORC1, did you use the online proctoring from home via webcam? Just wondering your experience with it, any tips or comments you can share? I will have one this Saturday.

I do all of mine from home except for the Certs. You dont have to be like a statue. As long as they can see you, keyboard, and mouse you should be fine. They couldnt see my mouse for one test and stopped it. I called the number and the tech told me what was wrong. I fiixed my setup and he doubled checked and they restarted where I left off. Make sure your background noise is minimal.

I REALLY like the online proctoring. Going to the test center always stresses me out. At home I can just chill and even smoke during the test if I want.

Biggest problem I had with ORC1 is I had to go to the bathroom for the last half of the test. By the end I didnt care and was marking quick. The test is pretty straightforward. I think it is right in line with the pre-assessment.

I do all of mine from home except for the Certs. You dont have to be like a statue. As long as they can see you, keyboard, and mouse you should be fine. They couldnt see my mouse for one test and stopped it. I called the number and the tech told me what was wrong. I fiixed my setup and he doubled checked and they restarted where I left off. Make sure your background noise is minimal.

I REALLY like the online proctoring. Going to the test center always stresses me out. At home I can just chill and even smoke during the test if I want.

Biggest problem I had with ORC1 is I had to go to the bathroom for the last half of the test. By the end I didnt care and was marking quick. The test is pretty straightforward. I think it is right in line with the pre-assessment.

Cool. I thought they only need to see the face and keyboard. I guess I need to make sure the mouse is visible now. Going to try to position the webcam again.
  • never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    I did the online procter for INC and it was pretty straightforward. Never had an issue pointing the camera or angle. The test was a little long but got through it with a good score.
    Almost done with my Cisco CCNA and then the Javascript class next. Hope to end the semester on Jan 31 with 30 - 33 CU's. All depends how the CIW javascript goes whether I'll have time for the critical thinking class.
    I don't know how you guys are doing so well on the science class. I am struggling. I just took the preassessment and passed by about 10 points and I don't really feel confident with that.
    WGU grad