Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Looking for any opinions on this course/test. Is it harder than the Network+ or Security + tests from Comptia?

It's been a LONG time since I took a Microsoft test so I am wondering how much have they changed or if they had gotten any harder. I skimmed through the LAb Sim for it and Win7 desktop looks pretty basic. Didn't seem too tough compared to some of the Server or Active Directory tests I have taken in the past.

If you took it did you just use Lab Sim or are there any other materials I should be reading in addition to that?
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just got off the phone with my mentor. Unless something major comes up I won't be hearing from him until the new year. Then it will still be weekly phone calls until my next term starts.

It looks like this is how next term will shape up:

QLC1, QLT1, AIV1 (will be spending most of X-Mas break plus all of December on that one), and then when I pass one of the three (most likely AIV1...if I ask for a voucher, I'll know I'm comfortable), I will throw INT1 on the barbie and hopefully knock everything out by end of March. Then I will add LET1, ORC1 and MGC1 into the mix and have that completed by end of April or beginning of May. Somewhere in the middle of that, I want to throw AKV1 in the mix, as opposed to waiting until May (I want that out of my hair badly). My other challenge is incorporating my one MS exam every 4-7 week plan into my studying as well. I don't want my third term to be loaded with MCITP:EA exams. (In addition to Tech Writing and Capstone).

It looks like I have a plan, but I still have tweaking to do....college....it's a challenge. LOL.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    id take mgc1, orc1, let1 right after project+ alot of the info in project+ is in those classes as well

ya know take it while its fresh on your mind
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    id take mgc1, orc1, let1 right after project+ alot of the info in project+ is in those classes as well

ya know take it while its fresh on your mind

That definitely is valid, but my term is pretty much over right now and my next term begins on Feb 1. My mentor said the same thing, but I would feel more comfortable getting rid of the math and science first. All of this HR-speak I'm very comfortable with...and I'm very familiar with their "lingo," so I don't necessarily need to take the aforementioned classes immediately. I will do them right after the math and science but I have to fit AKV1 somewhere in there too. Then it's all EA classes and I don't want to be stuck with just them and the last two WGU classes. That's where I find it challenging.
    im kinda putting off the math until i can get them all at once

just like i did the English classes.

i like to take my classes in what i call common groups, all have the same or very similar topic. it helps with a bit of the learning loss between classes that i get.

side note let and orc really need to be done in tandem cause they use the same book.
    im kinda putting off the math until i can get them all at once

just like i did the English classes.

i like to take my classes in what i call common groups, all have the same or very similar topic. it helps with a bit of the learning loss between classes that i get.

side note let and orc really need to be done in tandem cause they use the same book.

That I do know: You want to take LET1 first and then ORC1 (ORC1 is tested from what you did in LET1). TPV1 really is independent of those classes though. It focuses more on Projects than Management. Yes, it discusses how to manage people...but only within the context of project management. Plus...that only gets discussed at length when you get into the different organizations (functional, matrix, projectized). Aside from that, it kinda stands on it's own.

But the grouping you mention makes sense and that's what I've done with my English and will do with Math. I think WGU mentors (mine does) even encourage that you group your classes that way. That's why I haven't done the math yet...wanted them done together.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    That I do know: You want to take LET1 first and then ORC1 (ORC1 is tested from what you did in LET1).

Allegedly, that's the way it works, but I did it the other way around. Still learned a lot, and passed ORC1 without much trouble.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    Allegedly, that's the way it works, but I did it the other way around. Still learned a lot, and passed ORC1 without much trouble.

Yeah, I was going to take ORC1/MGC1 before doing LET1, but I'm at the mercy of the OLP system, so I'm working on LET1 while waiting for the other 2 tests. I submitted Tasks 1 and 2 last night, got both of them back, 3.33/4.0, so hopefully Task 3 will be treated as kindly by the graders. I was going to knock out Task 4 today but I'm putting it off until morning. Given the fact that I don't have the book, it's taking me a bit longer to find the necessary information to write a coherent explanation for the evaluation criteria they are looking for.

In any case, there isn't much in these classes I haven't seen before. You can only sit through so many leadership courses before they all start looking suspiciously like cousins, albeit with different names. icon_wink.gif
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'm taking the ORC1, MGC1 test's on the 27th. Passed both pretests with no problem so I figured I'll trying taking the finals. I'm not planning on taking LET1 till later this term or next. I just got done doing 2 writing classes and I need a break (STT1, HVT1). I pretty much only have taskstream and cert classes left.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Well the WGU site being down for the weekend doesn't help my studying for INC1 and having access to the topic chats. Oh well, I guess I will see how my test goes Wednesday.
    WGU grad
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    erpadmin is the greatest!!! when I started the process of signing up for WGU I noticed in his signature the "If you want a scholarship from WGU, click here." So I did. and 3 weeks later I got the scholarship.

So a huge thanks to erpadmin for putting that in your sig.
    citinerd wrote: »
    erpadmin is the greatest!!! when I started the process of signing up for WGU I noticed in his signature the "If you want a scholarship from WGU, click here." So I did. and 3 weeks later I got the scholarship.

So a huge thanks to erpadmin for putting that in your sig.

Honestly, I am glad someone else got the scholarship and congratulations! The best thing I can do is to ask you to pay it forward, as I did.

Everyone deserves to save a buck, the way I see it. :)
    erpadmin wrote: »
    It focuses more on Projects than Management. Yes, it discusses how to manage people...but only within the context of project management. Plus...that only gets discussed at length when you get into the different organizations (functional, matrix, projectized). Aside from that, it kinda stands on it's own.

There is a tiny bit of conflict resolution in there too. But like you said your familar with all that. Nice thing about WGU is that it is your program you get to pick. Just keep the others in your mind in case you get a burst of energy/time and you want to knock one or 2 of those out quickly.

I group all mine together. Right now its the programming. I already tested on AKV1 (Java Script) and working on Java (GTT1 & GUT1) now. Funny thing is that I am seeing a couple things in the book that would have helped the the Java Script test. Didnt remember seeing them in the CIW study guide. BUT Since I did the Java Script class the Java snytax seems easier to absorb. Kind of a chicken and the egg thing. Not sure which to do first if I had to do it again. But when you get to these group them if you can.

I am only a few chapters into the Java book and I feel like I can do task one since I am in programming mode. I want to read the whole thing but I am chomping at the bit to turn something in.

If you have ever programmed before it's really not too bad.

I group all mine together. Right now its the programming. I already tested on AKV1 (Java Script) and working on Java (GTT1 & GUT1) now. Funny thing is that I am seeing a couple things in the book that would have helped the the Java Script test. Didnt remember seeing them in the CIW study guide. BUT Since I did the Java Script class the Java snytax seems easier to absorb. Kind of a chicken and the egg thing. Not sure which to do first if I had to do it again. But when you get to these group them if you can.

Question for you, since you're flying through the courses: are you buying any of the books? I am finishing LET1 Task 4 now, and it would have been nice to have the book for it, to be honest. Just curious which courses you'd recommend buying books for, out of the gen ed's, if any. I'll finish MGC1/ORC1/LET1 fine without the book, but I'd have liked to had it during the trip, in hindsight.

I'm trying to look out to see if there are any other books I'll likely need, but I'm not seeing anything right now. I'll have 46 CU's done by the 23rd, which leaves me 9 weeks to knock out as many more gen ed's as possible. Hoping to be well over the 60 mark by the end of the term.
    There is a tiny bit of conflict resolution in there too. But like you said your familar with all that. Nice thing about WGU is that it is your program you get to pick. Just keep the others in your mind in case you get a burst of energy/time and you want to knock one or 2 of those out quickly.

Indeed, but really though...assuming you never read anything about conflict resolution in Project+, do you think you'd have to guess that much? I would love to hit people over the head with a sock and go "[erpadmin] don't play that", however, I'm pretty sure that's not going to fly.

There isn't any WGU class I've taken that hasn't been discussed by me: that's done on purpose...it is not only to share my experiences with others so that perhaps they learn from my success and/or failure, but I also keep a record and track my courses too. If I had to blog that, it'd be an automatic fail...My last two courses (CLC1 and TPV1) were done with that quick burst of energy...TPV1 though I took just to see what all the fuss was about. That fuss was warranted...but thankfully, I didn't have to personally shed too many tears.

I have a feeling I'm going to say I could have done the math and science first term....but hey, I felt I needed additional time with that. I was kind of wrong about LAT1 in terms how quickly I could knock that out (which I did base on LAE1...lmao)...I didn't want the math to be my achilles heel.
    i get most of my books used online to save alot of cash

i did get eh mgc1 book and i was wondering if i needed the let1 book but it looks like i will need it

check out textbooksrus.com

i did get eh mgc1 book and i was wondering if i needed the let1 book but it looks like i will need it

I appreciate you pointing out the site, I'll check it out. As for the book for LET1, I'm finished with the course now, but it would have been handy. You can make do without it--the links on the CoS take you to the website which has a powerpoint for each chapter with some bulletpoint info that makes it pretty easy to see what you need for the tasks.

Anyway, good luck with it.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

I usually buy mine used through Amazon or eBay. I've also gotten good use out of eBooks from cengagebrain.com.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    LOL...all this reading of LET1/ORC1/MGC1 almost has me convinced to take those instead of my math and science in the beginning of the term. From the looks of it...I'd be done with all three in a minimum of 2 weeks...4 weeks max. Then I suppose I could do QLC1/QLT1 and INT1 right after. I still have to figure out where to put AIV1, but that might almost be moot as if I go this route, all of my EA exams will be put toward the end. Maybe that won't be such a bad thing.

I just hate feeling like such a basketcase when it comes to taking these classes. I think a good reason why that is is because I read how many of you either struggle or knock it out of the park. Depending on my comfort level, that actually motivates me to get in gear and roll with whatever the class is. TSV1/TPV1 were a great examples of that.

I just got my $53 from Amazon's textbook buyback program (many of my books Amazon did not want...I had a bunch of Windows 2000 and an Exchange 2003 unleashed book...lmao...). I am about to pull the trigger on buying the book for LET1 and at least I can kill a chapter or two a night while I work on AIV1. Then by the time 2/1 comes, I can enroll in all three so I can get them out of the way....

Oh...you guys! LMAO.
    petedude wrote: »
    I usually buy mine used through Amazon or eBay. I've also gotten good use out of eBooks from cengagebrain.com.

Yeah, I've had some luck through half.com, as well. The only thing I will say about half.com is that if the book description says hardback, ignore it. I've yet to buy a hardback book from someone off that site that wasn't spiral bound paperback icon_razz.gif

Just my 2 cents.
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Question for you, since you're flying through the courses: are you buying any of the books? I am finishing LET1 Task 4 now, and it would have been nice to have the book for it, to be honest. Just curious which courses you'd recommend buying books for, out of the gen ed's, if any. I'll finish MGC1/ORC1/LET1 fine without the book, but I'd have liked to had it during the trip, in hindsight.

I'm trying to look out to see if there are any other books I'll likely need, but I'm not seeing anything right now. I'll have 46 CU's done by the 23rd, which leaves me 9 weeks to knock out as many more gen ed's as possible. Hoping to be well over the 60 mark by the end of the term.

Had an answer all typed up for you and timed out on the submit. I will rewrite it ASAP. just didnt want you to think I was blowing it off. I hate when that happens.

• themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Some of the classes books are needed for, others needed - no; helps - yes. INC1/INT1 for sure you need the book. HVC1/HVT1 not really, reading mindedge will get you a pass. When I do need a book I just get them from Amazon, buy the cheapest used one then I resell it back usually at the same price. I was going to try out bookrenter.com and other sites like it but buying/selling at Amazon is a lot cheaper.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    Had an answer all typed up for you and timed out on the submit. I will rewrite it ASAP. just didnt want you to think I was blowing it off. I hate when that happens.

No worries--I appreciate it, man.

I knocked out LET1 in 2 days without the book, but I could have done it in one if I'd had it. I think there are some things in the book that would be interesting to read, so I ordered it off half.com for 17 bucks. I'll read it at some point in the future, as sad as that sounds.

Just as a heads up again for anyone who might be taking it soon, the CoS has links to the website that you can take chapter summary quizzes for the Organizational Behavior 12th edition. Well, you can also download powerpoint presentations from each chapter on this site. If you take the link given and change the 12 in the linke to a 13 or 14 (for those respective editions), you can get some additional information. For example, the 14th edition has some summary outline info that makes a good quick review of some of the information (such as the errors and biases in evaluation performances, etc.).
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Some of the classes books are needed for, others needed - no; helps - yes. INC1/INT1 for sure you need the book. HVC1/HVT1 not really, reading mindedge will get you a pass. When I do need a book I just get them from Amazon, buy the cheapest used one then I resell it back usually at the same price. I was going to try out bookrenter.com and other sites like it but buying/selling at Amazon is a lot cheaper.

Remember that as a Student you can get AMAZON prime for a year for free. this includes free two day shipping for you orders. this can save you some $$
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Is this thing at all close to the real tests? And WHY is the pass rate set to 95%??

I did get a 92% on the second pass But it just pisses me off.... :) /rant

I was hitting 94-100% on the other two test simulations...

Would be nice to get the Vista questions out of there too! Who uses vista in a business environment? lol
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
    Jack2 wrote: »

Would be nice to get the Vista questions out of there too! Who uses vista in a business environment? lol

You would be suprised what you run into. They had Win 3.1 on some systems at Walt Disney World for a very old legacy database program that a few people used. It wasnt that long ago and still needed to support it.

You would be suprised what you run into. They had Win 3.1 on some systems at Walt Disney World for a very old legacy database program that a few people used. It wasnt that long ago and still needed to support it.

I would love to see some 19-23 year old (today) support a Win 3.1 system...lmao..especially if his oldest O/S is XP!

To add to this, there are a number of legacy O/Ses still around...my shop never bothered with Vista (I never did either), and we don't plan on a W7 rollout until at least several months if not a year.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jack2 wrote: »
    Is this thing at all close to the real tests? And WHY is the pass rate set to 95%??

I did get a 92% on the second pass But it just pisses me off.... :) /rant

I was hitting 94-100% on the other two test simulations...

I found it to be harder then the actual exam. I was scored in the low 80s (1st practice exam) and left it at that and scored an 830.
    So a couple of days ago, I found the LET1 book (12th edition) on ebay in "Like New" condition for .99 and $4 shipping with 2 days left. Now, of course I had to get all up on that, so I place a bid. I then go to my Amazon trade in account and see how much the book would be if I sold it/traded it in. I'd have made a $2 profit.

Enter today...I friggin have two DBs bidding within the last hour....and one of them going all $16 bucks on me in the last 5 seconds. Friggin DB! LOL. My highest bid was like $16.89...the cheapest book on Amazon was $20 so it was pretty much a wash...but I got the book and paid for it so hopefully the seller will mail it as soon as the money is cleared from PayPal. So mad though that little girls couldn't let me get this book for $5...lol.

I'm wondering if I got shill bidded as well. I can't see any evidence of that.....but still though...... icon_mad.gif
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Probably just typical last minute ebayers. The funny part for me was I bought that book on Ebay for about 16 bucks and then sold it a few weeks later for 25. With seller fees and Paypal fees I didn't make much, but it shows how once a bidding war starts how things go.
    WGU grad