Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Ahh ok. For programming, it's all about logic, which is the only reason why math geeks are better at it then mere mortals. However with programming, it isn't necessarily a math deal...it's all about logic and syntax. If you can get those down, it's not a terrible chore.

Yeah, thanks for the response...I will focus solely on QLC1 and QLT1 when I'm done with the three management courses. I'm almost certain I can get that hat trick done within February.

Two weeks? You pushed Project+ back? icon_surprised.gif

Yes, I needed a little more time to look over things.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□

did ya get the project+ flashcards?

and ill betaking the mgc1 test tom about noon central time ill let yall know how it goes
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    did ya get the project+ flashcards?

and ill betaking the mgc1 test tom about noon central time ill let yall know how it goes

MGC1 is not that hard. Good luck with it!
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Please don't turn this into a veritas_libertas project+ trek...icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(joke....take as much time as you need with that one...)
    Let me give some advice on taking the math tests... They give you a problem say 3x + 5 = 17. Answers are 4, 9, 2.5, 6. Just substitute each answer in till the problem is true. Works on pretty much every question. They give you a problem and the answer - just try each answer till the question works. As long you know basic algebra you'll pass the test with ease. That's what I did.

Yeah that's all fine and great, but even I know how to do that one:

3x + 5 = 17
    3x = 17 - 5
    3x = 12
    x = 12/3
    x = 4

3(4) + 5 = 17

No question though, your way will definitely work if you're quick enough. I actually had to remember that when you bring something over, it becomes the opposite. (positive to negative or negative to positive).
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Yeah that's all fine and great, but even I know how to do that one:

3x + 5 = 17
    3x = 17 - 5
    3x = 12
    x = 12/3
    x = 4

3(4) + 5 = 17

No question though, your way will definitely work if you're quick enough. I actually had to remember that when you bring something over, it becomes the opposite. (positive to negative or negative to positive).

Everyone should know how to do those. Basic rule, whatever you do to one side of the equation you do to the other. It is much easier to understand that way:

3x + 5 = 17
    3x + 5 -5 = 17 - 5 (5's cancel on left side)
    3x = 12
    3x/3 = 12/3 (3's cancel on left side)
    x = 4

3(4) + 5 = 17

To do it any other way bypasses what you are trying to learn. As teachers always say, "Show your work." :)
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
    LOL, now we have a Math thread... :)

it changes often from class to class

For us non-Math geeks, stuff like that is relevant to the "Student Experiences at Western Governors University" who have to deal with a subject they haven't deal with on a daily basis for close to two decades (some a little more...some a little less.)

UHT, thanks for breaking that down even further....I just wanted to show folks how to do a problem like that in case they didn't have options they could plugin. But you did remind me of that "basic" rule....

[You make me hate math even more now, though.......lmao]
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Other big thing to remember for the math test - a^2 + b^2 = c^2 (Pythagorean Theorem). If you can get that down and simple algebra rules (order of operations and the what you do to one side you do to another) you'll be fine. The math class at WGU isn't very hard, I freaked myself out because I failed every math class I've ever taken. But after taking it, I was like that was it?

Just trying to help everyone out, I know everyone is different when it comes to different subjects - just don't over think it and just tackle it to get it over with.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Just passed AKV1 today. I finished the first semester in two months. I started on Nov1. On to MGC1 and LET1 next...:D
    simtech wrote: »
    Just passed AKV1 today. I finished the first semester in two months. I started on Nov1. On to MGC1 and LET1 next...:D

Not bad! icon_cheers.gif

What did you do to prepare for AKV1?
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. I've been a little depressed about it lately.
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Not bad! icon_cheers.gif

What did you do to prepare for AKV1?

I used the book from school, mcmcse study guide, exam force, and Ucertify.
  • lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    My mentor is looking into if the maths QLC1 and QMC1 would satisfy the new math courses HHT1 and GAC1. If they do I might transfer from Security to Network Administration since they added CCNET (BRV1). Was only taking Security for the CCNA but would rather take the MCITP:SA instead of the web design and extra programming class.

Just curious, why did you choose NA instead of NDM? NDM to me seems to be a better track since its the higher MCITP: EA.
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    lenell86 wrote: »
    Just curious, why did you choose NA instead of NDM? NDM to me seems to be a better track since its the higher MCITP: EA.

For me lenell I would and am considering the NA because it now has both the CCENT and the MCITP:SA, so it would be more rounded. In my area it seems like the jobs are requiring more rounded people that can do many things. Of course it is a personal preference on where you want your career to lead. Most jobs here are asking for both CCNA and MCITP:EA, so if I go that route after I am done I can take the other half of the CCNA and the extra 2 exams for MCITP:EA.
    WGU grad
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lenell86 wrote: »

NA now has CCNET and would shorten my needed classes (not to mention drop some classes that I really didn't want to take). I'm looking through the material for 70-640 and 70-642 since they deal a lot with my current job and was going to take the exams for SA anyway. Along with the Win 7 exam being needed I'd only need the 2 exams for EA if I wanted it. I'd rather do the CCNET.
    eansdad wrote: »
    NA now has CCNET and would shorten my needed classes (not to mention drop some classes that I really didn't want to take). I'm looking through the material for 70-640 and 70-642 since they deal a lot with my current job and was going to take the exams for SA anyway. Along with the Win 7 exam being needed I'd only need the 2 exams for EA if I wanted it. I'd rather do the CCNET.

The addition of the CCENT was an excellent decision on WGU's part. Shocking, but excellent! :)
    Had some discussions with my mentor and even if you do decide to change emphasis it goes by the program when you started. I am pushing to have that changed so I can jump into the new Networks Administration and change up the Portfolio 1 for the CCENT. Certainly I can save time by doing the Portfolio class, but I would much rather have the CCENT:). I will let you know how it goes.
    WGU grad
    When did they add ccnet cause I don't see it on my aap I was thinking of switching to ndm because I dislike cisco. Right now I'm in na not ndm, but most of the classes are the same but the extra 2 tests for ea over sa.

When I do a job search in my area there are no jobs for sa but a fair amount for ea
    Since you are already in Demon it doesn't affect you. It is only for new students or possibly for students considering changing emphasis.
    WGU grad
    ahh ok i was thinking from changing to the one wiht out it anyway

so they dropped net+ for ccnet?
    Was considering putting this in a separate thread...I am considering making a comment soon. I think this is the biggest article WGU has since the Times Magazine one... :D

Personal finance: Western Governors University lets students earn degrees online - latimes.com
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Holy Cow QLT1 was a wild ride....5 Tasks for a total of 12 submissions. Task 3 I had to do 3 times since the 2nd was just a copy of the 1st and not the redone work. Task 4 I wanted to shoot myself...4 submissions for what I thought would be the easiest. Sent 2 math teachers I work with copies of all 4 submissions and they found nothing wrong with any of them, all technically correct. Aparently TaskStream graders want a specific answer and not just any right one. Gotta give it up to TaskStream though, 7 re-submissions for 3 tasks all graded today. Wish they always were this fast. 9 CUs for the month I feel like such a slacker.....Now to finish up TPV1 (Project+) and TSV1 (Sec+).

Thank you TheMagicOne for your suggestion. It saved a ton of time with the graphing.
    took the mgc1 test today

1. the test its self is nothing like the pre-assessment
    2. cant review the entire test at the end
    3. still dont know if i passed or failed on the last screen it said all those words and it went away after about 15 sec. my aap hasnt changed yet

i dislike how the test its self was laid out the info is the same as the pre-assessment but the test its self can be frustrating
    If you have access to the Internet than you should know now whether or not you passed.
    If you have access to the Internet than you should know now whether or not you passed.

my aap still says Scheduled not passed/not passed yet

do they send a email?
    my aap still says Scheduled not passed/not passed yet

do they send a email?

Odd, the only reason for such a delay would be if the testing center hasn't sent off your results yet. Mine is usually waiting for me as soon as I get home or back to work.
    it was thru prometric cause all the schools around here are closed for winter break

edit: apparently if you choose the new test at prometric site option its a 2~4 day wait till wgu gets the results, how ever they said there was a screen at the end that said if you passed or not . there was a screen but it auto changed while i was reading it.
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Ahh ok. For programming, it's all about logic, which is the only reason why math geeks are better at it then mere mortals. However with programming, it isn't necessarily a math deal...it's all about logic and syntax. If you can get those down, it's not a terrible chore.

Logic and syntax I dont mind. It's drawing all these stupid little diagrams thats killing me.

Do people actually use these things? I can see how they would be useful but most programmers I know would tell me their job is code and not drawing boxes all day.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st