Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Jagged wrote: »
    Okay, is this an error in the course listings where the exam is being brought in-house but still listed as CIW? I see:

I see no update listed on the CIW site for 1D0-435 upcoming. There are five exams scheduled for retirement in June but none are used by WGU. No mention of 1D0-535 which would be the next version of the JavaScript exam.

Interesting note: CIW is dumping the Professional certification and all Master certifications. Looks like Grand Master is sticking around for the CIW junkies.

I'd email the course mentors or your regular mentor. I don't know the details other than what I posted. I do know from the course mentor and my mentor and the program manager that the test is changing. It's changing whether you're in AKV1 or BOV1. Other than that, I can't say. I'm just hopeful that the learning resources aren't the better part of a decade outdated. icon_wink.gif
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Notice that he says 2/1, but the program manager I spoke with yesterday said that date had been pushed back to 3/1 for the new exam rollout. Whether you take AKV1 or BOV1, you get the same new exam on 3/1. Again, just a heads up for anyone that might be using the old LR's as they move into the new exam.

As Jagged mentioned, I didn't see anything on CIW's site about an updated exam. However, just because they offer an updated exam, doesn't mean the old one will be retired (such as the current case with Project+...PK0-002 retires, I believe, in March, and while you could choose to take 002 or 003, WGU will only accept the 003 for Project+ credit.)

However the reason why that's significant, is because WGU says you have to take a CIW exam. I'm guessing this will be a bit clearer after February or March. I am really hoping that whatever materials are available they will help in passing this exam. AKV1 in it's current form seemed very doable to get down, but it made more sense for me to stay on the path I made for myself in regards to my coursework (past and present). I'm hoping that this change does not bite me in the "arse", as I could have fit AKV1 somewhere in the first term..... icon_sad.gif
    erpadmin wrote: »
    As Jagged mentioned, I didn't see anything on CIW's site about an updated exam. However, just because they offer an updated exam, doesn't mean the old one will be retired (such as the current case with Project+...PK0-002 retires, I believe, in March, and while you could choose to take 002 or 003, WGU will only accept the 003 for Project+ credit.)

However the reason why that's significant, is because WGU says you have to take a CIW exam. I'm guessing this will be a bit clearer after February or March. I am really hoping that whatever materials are available they will help in passing this exam. AKV1 in it's current form seemed very doable to get down, but it made more sense for me to stay on the path I made for myself in regards to my coursework (past and present). I'm hoping that this change does not bite me in the "arse", as I could have fit AKV1 somewhere in the first term..... icon_sad.gif

When I said "retired", I meant retired from the standpoint of what WGU requires. Since I'm taking this exam FOR WGU, I don't really care whether the old one still exists, as that point is irrelevant. The relevant point is that the exam required by WGU will change on 3/1, and that is what I wanted to communicate to anyone who might be taking this exam.

As for the specifics, again, I'll leave it the individual to contact whomever they wish to get that information, but at least you are forewarned that change is afoot. Do with it what you will. icon_wink.gif
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    I am right in the middle of studying for AKV1... I have finished the book but still have some labbing to do and practice assessments to complete. I hope I can get this done by the end of the month! This is the last required class for this term( I started Nov 1st) So I have plenty of time if I have to study the new material.
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
    When I said "retired", I meant retired from the standpoint of what WGU requires. Since I'm taking this exam FOR WGU, I don't really care whether the old one still exists, as that point is irrelevant. The relevant point is that the exam required by WGU will change on 3/1, and that is what I wanted to communicate to anyone who might be taking this exam.

As for the specifics, again, I'll leave it the individual to contact whomever they wish to get that information, but at least you are forewarned that change is afoot. Do with it what you will. icon_wink.gif

I thought my mentioning of 002 made it clear that we are on the same page in regards to what "WGU requires." icon_sad.gif (Damn Interwebs...lol).

What I was trying to say though was that regardless of when it changes, since this information affects a lot of us who have not taken AKV1 before 2/1, it would be nice to know WHAT exam I need to take. Since my term is essentially done, even if I wanted to take 1D0-435 tomorrow, I can't and will not get a "Pass", but a "Requirement Met" which is significant.....

"Requirement Met" means I can use it toward graduation, but I won't get CUs for it...it won't be factored into SAP. I have to be enrolled into the class (AKV1) to get the "Pass."

Pass means I get the CUs.

I know AKV1/BOV1 will be made clearer after the dust settles, but I really want to know as soon as I'm able to, so that I can have a proper strategy. This particular change may/may not be a curveball, but I won't really know for sure.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Jagged wrote: »
    Interesting note: CIW is dumping the Professional certification and all Master certifications. Looks like Grand Master is sticking around for the CIW junkies.

I'd heard about the CIW retirements. I occasionally get tempted with the idea of rushing through the Server Admin and Perl exams so I can walk away with the basic Master exam for that track before the end of June. . . but I have so much else to do. . .

I was faced with a similar dilemma when Novell retired the Master CNE, and now I'm glad I didn't bite. Such will likely be the fate with the CIW master cert as well (I think it's Web Site Manager).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    I gotcha. I just wanted to let people know there were changes coming. As to the actual CIW side of things, I really hadn't considered what they are or are not doing with the exam, so I am sending an email to see what I can find out. I'll share with the group when/if I hear anything.

I was a little bit taken aback by the fact that they didn't tell all of us that the exam was changing. Surely they have some mechanism for doing so through email or...something? In any case, maybe the changes are so minor that it's a moot point, but then it begs the question of why bother changing it at all? I am definitely curious now why there are no changes noted on the CIW site. I guess we'll find out soon.

And yeah, I hope it doesn't throw a wrench in your plans, man. The only reason I was even investigating this is because I was wanting to take the "updated" course because I wanted to have something a little bit more current. I didn't anticipate it affecting everyone, but that's what it's looking like currently.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    are taskstream graders taking extra time to grade now or is it just me

ive had a paper in for about 6 days now
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    Yeah, it's painfully slow for me right now too. With the 15th being the cutoff each month for the end of the term for Taskstream stuff, it usually gets slow. This weekend is a holiday weekend for the school, though, so I think that might have something to do with it too.

I'm now officially done with QLT/QLC/QMC, so math is complete. Going to knock out social science and project+ and call it a term. Good times.
    I was a little bit taken aback by the fact that they didn't tell all of us that the exam was changing. Surely they have some mechanism for doing so through email or...something?

I think they normally tell people in the communities for the respective domain, but I don't think that's a hard and fast rule. It would be nice, though.
    --Will Rogers
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I think they have been a little bit lacking with the changes. They don't even have most of the COS's done for the new classes which start Feb 1st.
    WGU grad
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Just got back my LET1 paper 4. I'm starting to wonder the competency of taskstream's graders. It got kicked back to me stating I was missing a whole section. But it's in there, they even quoted a line from it. I feel like just resending it in and tell them what's what BUT I'll be a bigger man and have a talk with the mentor before hand. Paper 1 + 2 are done, 3 got kicked back but I resent that in already and waiting on a score.

Another subject... the intro programing class (java) - any recommendations on the book Big Java? The version in the COS is way outdated (well the task is also, as it calls for swing components yet netbeans is telling me those are supported anymore).

Oh great now I learn that the GTT1 class has changed and there is a completely new COS and LR for the course. Yet they don't seem to tell anyone this via a email or w/e. Well at least I didn't do much in the class, just read a few chapters and messed around with Hello World!.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just got back my LET1 paper 4. I'm starting to wonder the competency of taskstream's graders. It got kicked back to me stating I was missing a whole section. But it's in there, they even quoted a line from it. I feel like just resending it in and tell them what's what BUT I'll be a bigger man and have a talk with the mentor before hand. Paper 1 + 2 are done, 3 got kicked back but I resent that in already and waiting on a score.

Another subject... the intro programing class (java) - any recommendations on the book Big Java? The version in the COS is way outdated (well the task is also, as it calls for swing components yet netbeans is telling me those are supported anymore).

yea my let1 task 1 paper got kicked back to me this weekend saying i was missing the Scenario part and its clearly labeled Scenario
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    The JavaScript exam is changing on 2/1/2011, regardless of the course code. All students that refer for BOV1 or AKV1 after 1/31/2011 will get the new JavaScript exam.

Kind of wish I would have waited for this one now. I rolled my eyes when I saw some of the references to browser versions. I would love to see what is in the new course maybe I can grab the material and study it on my own.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
    Oh great now I learn that the GTT1 class has changed and there is a completely new COS and LR for the course. Yet they don't seem to tell anyone this via a email or w/e. Well at least I didn't do much in the class, just read a few chapters and messed around with Hello World!.

The new book is pretty good. I hate READING about how to code though. I found some intresting videos that helped turn the lightbulb on and make me understand what I was doing.

The New Boston Tutorials

It took some time to go through all the videos on Java script and Java but at least I know enough to be dangerous and understand the syntax. I was struggling at first then all of a sudden I just got it.

If anyone is having a hard time give those a try as a supplemental resource.

Just passed WDV1 so I am done with CIW! Might go back and get something else but paying out of pocket for their cert's doesnt seem like a good investment but we will see. At the very least I learned quite a bit in those classes and thats why I am here (even if the certs are a little dated). I guarentee that some of the brick and mortars are teaching stuff just as old if you get it at all.

Starting my Tech Writing and Capstone now. I am trying to kick those out as quick as possible to leave me as much time as possible for CCNA and CCNA: Sec. Only 4 classes left and still shooting for this term if Cisco cooperates with my brain. Still have not opened my new toys (2 boxes of routers) and it's killing me.

Just passed WDV1 so I am done with CIW! Might go back and get something else but paying out of pocket for their cert's doesnt seem like a good investment but we will see.

I have that debate going too. As much as I relish the idea of putting CIW Website Manager down on my list of accomplishments, it's another $350 or so I'd have to shell out to get it done (uCertify, exams, maybe some old books).

The Database course DID give me a taste for more study along those lines. I think I'll probably jump for the MySQL exams, especially since I do see MySQL in demand every so often. Might also go for one or two Java exams as well.
    --Will Rogers
  • myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just finished taking the WFV1 pre-assessment, and the test is pretty much a joke. I really can't believe that this can be a certification test. I think I may just schedule all the CIW test for the same day and just knock them all out and if WGU doesn't want to I'll just pay the 125 or w/e for each test myself (company reimbursement).
    Just got back my LET1 paper 4. I'm starting to wonder the competency of taskstream's graders. It got kicked back to me stating I was missing a whole section. But it's in there, they even quoted a line from it.

I had a similar experience with INT1. The grader said I was misisng sections from the rubric, and it was very clearly there. What I then did was make it SUPER clear what I was saying, and I was pretty much being an asss stating words line from line from the rubric. When I re-submitted, I passed.
  • shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    I just finished taking the WFV1 pre-assessment, and the test is pretty much a joke. I really can't believe that this can be a certification test. I think I may just schedule all the CIW test for the same day and just knock them all out and if WGU doesn't want to I'll just pay the 125 or w/e for each test myself (company reimbursement).

I found the actual test to be even easier than the pre-assessment, if you can believe that.

Not a good idea if you're already enrolled. You have to get the voucher from WGU and be enrolled. Otherwise, instead of getting a "Pass", you get a "Requirement Met", which CAN be a detriment to SAP....and for a course like WFV1...you don't want to do that. The only way you can sidestep that is if you weren't currently enrolled and transferred it in before you accepted AAP. Otherwise, once you are in WGU, you have to go through their process to meet SAP.

Just talk to your mentor and tell him you're more than ready. They all know the joke that is WFV1.....it is the only cert I didn't really study for.
    Once you meet your SAP though, it doesn't seem like the 'requirement met' would make a difference. I asked my mentor previously about like what if my company sends me to get a cert and I pass, and he said yah IT is the only one we'll transfer it in while you are already enrolled. What do you mean by it being a detriment, could you explain a little.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I think you better have your mentor check on that. My understanding is that you can not transfer anything in after you have started your classes. Not saying you can't skirt the rules by getting a voucher on your own and then sending the grade report after you have enrolled, but I would guess they would look at the dates. So why not just get the voucher from WGU?

I still wish I would have done all of my certs before enrolling because it would have ended up being cheaper, but at the same time you don't get the resources that WGU offers such as Labsim.
    WGU grad
    Once you meet your SAP though, it doesn't seem like the 'requirement met' would make a difference. I asked my mentor previously about like what if my company sends me to get a cert and I pass, and he said yah IT is the only one we'll transfer it in while you are already enrolled. What do you mean by it being a detriment, could you explain a little.

For argument's sake, let's assume it takes 10 CUs to graduate WGU.

You have to take 5 2-CUs to graduate WGU. WFV1 is one of those classes.

You have 4 out of the 5 classes completed. That's 80% SAP. (8 CUs/10 CUs x 100= 80%). If you took a 2 CU outside of the normal parameters, then you will always have 80% SAP (as opposed to 100%).

If you fail out a class, or otherwise don't meet SAP, that's one thing, but if you have it in your power to just get a voucher from WGU and just properly enroll that way, it doesn't make sense to mess with SAP and take a "Requirement Met" instead of a Pass...(especially for WFV1!)

Of course, 66% is required for passing the term or whatever...but seriously...why settle for bare minimum, when it's within your power to have 100% SAP (if it can be helped and you're not failing any classes)?! That's all I'm saying.....

As I said, just call your mentor and just (politely) demand he give you the voucher. If he gives you grief, ask for a new mentor.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    For argument's sake, let's assume it takes 10 CUs to graduate WGU.

You have to take 5 2-CUs to graduate WGU. WFV1 is one of those classes.

You have 4 out of the 5 classes completed. That's 80% SAP. (8 CUs/10 CUs x 100= 80%). If you took a 2 CU outside of the normal parameters, then you will always have 80% SAP (as opposed to 100%).

If you fail out a class, or otherwise don't meet SAP, that's one thing, but if you have it in your power to just get a voucher from WGU and just properly enroll that way, it doesn't make sense to mess with SAP and take a "Requirement Met" instead of a Pass...(especially for WFV1!)

Of course, 66% is required for passing the term or whatever...but seriously...why settle for bare minimum, when it's within your power to have 100% SAP (if it can be helped and you're not failing any classes)?! That's all I'm saying.....

As I said, just call your mentor and just (politely) demand he give you the voucher. If he gives you grief, ask for a new mentor.

I understand what you're saying about SAP. My question is, say I have already completed my SAP requirements and what ever exam I plan on taking hasn't been completed yet. I go out and complete the exams and send them in to WGU. WGU marks it as met requirement I suppose. I'm going to have WGU schedule the WFV1, but I was thinking of calling up the test site and schedule addition tests that are not in my SAP and take them the same day I take WFV1 since they'll be free for me any ways. That way, I don't waste the hours of driving there multiple times, and also won't waste the 10 or so days for each exam for WGU to schedule them.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to have WGU schedule the WFV1, but I was thinking of calling up the test site and schedule addition tests that are not in my SAP and take them the same day I take WFV1 since they'll be free for me any ways. That way, I don't waste the hours of driving there multiple times, and also won't waste the 10 or so days for each exam for WGU to schedule them.

Third-party tests (xxV1 classes) are handled by giving you a Prometric or PearsonVUE voucher. It is then up to you for the scheduling. It seems to be from 2-5 days to get a voucher after the request. Then you can schedule for the next day at a large testing site.

Remember it acts like a Second Chance with WGU giving you two attempts at each test. If you know all the subjects on the CIW tests (and I would say this only for CIW), go ahead and grab them all at once if you can convince your mentor and/or the assessment department. You can always slow down before your second attempt on anything you miss.
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
    I understand what you're saying about SAP. My question is, say I have already completed my SAP requirements and what ever exam I plan on taking hasn't been completed yet. I go out and complete the exams and send them in to WGU. WGU marks it as met requirement I suppose. I'm going to have WGU schedule the WFV1, but I was thinking of calling up the test site and schedule addition tests that are not in my SAP and take them the same day I take WFV1 since they'll be free for me any ways. That way, I don't waste the hours of driving there multiple times, and also won't waste the 10 or so days for each exam for WGU to schedule them.

As jagged said, you get the voucher from WGU, but you schedule when you want to take your exam through Prometric. (You will get a Prometric voucher UNLESS you specifically ask for Vue....though I would personally stick with Prometric.) If you play your cards right with your mentor, you can get your voucher that same days or at the most 48 hours...it doesn't take that long.

Just schedule with WGU, get your voucher, schedule your exam and pass the exam....and accept the early congratulations....(with your experience in IT...there is no way you could fail the exam....)

Check out the mcmcse.com guide if you haven't already; you will see it's cake.

Dont take them too lightly. They are easy but the Java Script one can throw you some curves and the databse one you really need to study for if you have not done databases. They are easier than Comptia or Microsoft but you still need to at least read the book and do some prep questions.

That way, I don't waste the hours of driving there multiple times, and also won't waste the 10 or so days for each exam for WGU to schedule them.

Its not 10 days to schedule. Once you get your voucher you can schedule it whenever. I did 2 the very next day. It takes a day or 2 for them to issue the voucher after that your on your own.
    Edit: never mind I see the other answers now

I am lucky right now I have a full blown testing center 10 minutes away. The person that sets them up is very cool. Everytime I took a CIW test she said she you in five minutes after she got done setting up the computer.

You know you have too many certs when your on a first name basis with a testing center admin. icon_cheers.gif

• themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    You're lucky. I only have one prometric site here in Minneapolis, MN. And it is usually anywhere from a week to 3 weeks out to get an appointment. And for me it's a 45 min drive to goto. It sucks. There is a pearson vue site a lot closer but can't do MS test there.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013