Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'm so excited about tomorrow...second term!! :D

I hear ya. 10 more classes to go. Hopefully I can get done by the end of the year. I get to take the CCENT, Win7, and the two finite math classes to start the fun!
    WGU grad
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Please tell me why you would have Microsoft IT Academy SQL server classes as an additional learning resource for BRV1 (CCENT)? I certainly hope it is a mistake in the COS and they actually offer some type of simulation for the class. I looked at the class for SQL and it is BPV1, so I am guessing it is a mistake, but you'd think they would look over it before publishing the COS.
    WGU grad
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Today is the first day of the second term! I'm just as excited and determined as I was the first day of my first term.

Got LET1, ORC1 & MGC1, along with QLC1 and QLT1. By the end of Sunday, and if all goes well with the graders and I don't spaz out on MGC1 and ORC1, I should have 12 CUs completed by Sunday evening. Then I just concentrate on the Math. When I'm done with either QLT1 or QLC1, I will go ahead and request INT1. When the other math is done, then I will ask for AKV1 or BOV1....then when those are done, it's just MS exams from here....then I can finally get back to my MCITP:EA experiences thread.

Woo hoo!
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Don't expect a quick grade with LAT1, it took me like 3 weeks. icon_sad.gif Good luck though!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    and I don't spaz out on MGC1 and ORC1

Are these tests that can be taken online with the webcam watching you?
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't expect a quick grade with LAT1, it took me like 3 weeks. icon_sad.gif Good luck though!

im still fighting them

it looks like i may need to get the book for a few pages i cant figure out in task 4 section E stuff
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    Just so we're clear, you do mean LET1, right? :)

I'm ok with revisions, or whatever...I am hoping it is done quickly, but as long as I pass before the February I'm ok too.

And Sheckler, yes ORC1 and MGC1 can be taken with the webcam...they will be my 3rd and 4th webcam experiences, respectively. I will make sure my laptop has no issues before I sit for them.
    yea its let1
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sheckler wrote: »
    Are these tests that can be taken online with the webcam watching you?

Yes, I took these both online with the webcam.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    i guess im odd i like to go some where to take my tests

probably its the kids and other distractions around the house unless they can do it at 1am when the house is quieter
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    im still fighting them

it looks like i may need to get the book for a few pages i cant figure out in task 4 section E stuff

I came this close to breaking down and buying the book on Kindle. I just kept hitting Google and the old books I had until I found everything.

Good to know I'm not the only one who slogged through LET1. Took me about a month, maybe a month and a half on and off-- the vast majority of that was Task 4.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    i may have to go to books 24/7 and see what i can find im kinda giving my self a break and working on task 2 and 3 till they pass
    petedude wrote: »
    Good to know I'm not the only one who slogged through LET1. Took me about a month, maybe a month and a half on and off-- the vast majority of that was Task 4.

This is a perfect example of why folks should just buckle down and just get the book. I would never spend money to buy it on Kindle...$16-$20 to read a few pages on a hardcover is worth it, and there's a good to great chance you will see 100% of what you spent back when you sell it to another student needing it for the same reason. The book that I have is in very good condition and I will see my little ~$20 back. Yeah, you can probably get by doing some google searches, but the book saves you some sweet time by just going to the index.

All of the answers (ALL OF THEM) that are required are in the book. I will state though that you really do have to read what's required though...especially for Task 4. There are a couple of things that might be tricky.

Of course, I just handed my stuff to Taskstream. And while I'm sure I answered the tasks satisfactory, I won't know if I have to do revisions or not. At least I know if I do, I can just go back to the book.
    The tasks are super easy with the book. Basically the tasks are read the book and answer the questions. Task 4 was the easiest for me. If anyone wants a copy let me know I'll sell my copy for $20 or trade?

Now... going on month 4 of my term and I've lost all my motivation. Need to get 70-680 done and a few more classes in short time. Was hoping to be done in 1.5 years but I'm thinking more and more that another term is going to be required. Oh well... back to trying to study.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    i may get with ya after payday about that let1 book
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've mentioned it several times previously, but the CoS for LET1 has links that lead to a site where one can view powerpoint presentation overviews for each chapter of the book. This is what I used, since I didn't have the book. The information is there, you just have to dig a little bit more. I finished the course in less than 48 hours without the book, and I'm certainly not the most gifted of writers. Use the book / website from the CoS to get the info you need and follow the rubric.

Also, if you need assistance, email the course mentor. This is the first/only time I've done so, and the response was quick and helpful. I made the mistake of reading the community opinion of Task 3, and I was far more concerned about it than I should have been. The course mentor answered my questions/concerns and I was able to plow through without any other issues.

As for the book, also as I mentioned previously, I agree with Erpadmin about picking it up if you can. I hadn't anticipated quickly enough to have it here when I needed it, so I went without it. I don't recommend doing that, but it's doable without it.
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    I've mentioned it several times previously, but the CoS for LET1 has links that lead to a site where one can view powerpoint presentation overviews for each chapter of the book. This is what I used, since I didn't have the book. The information is there, you just have to dig a little bit more. I finished the course in less than 48 hours without the book, and I'm certainly not the most gifted of writers. Use the book / website from the CoS to get the info you need and follow the rubric.

As for the book, also as I mentioned previously, I agree with Erpadmin about picking it up if you can. I hadn't anticipated quickly enough to have it here when I needed it, so I went without it. I don't recommend doing that, but it's doable without it.

I'll be honest with you, HE, I didn't look at those presentations. It was only because I saw that, as with my other Taskstream classes, it was just sufficient to bypass the CoS and just hit the TaskStreams and call it a day.

Had the price for the textbook been prohibitive, I probably would have jumped into the CoS and see what my options would have been and probably would have seen those presentations. However, since $16-$20 isn't exactly a week's worth of groceries ( icon_razz.gif ) for me, figured I'd just get it...I can also skim it before my ORC1 exam, though chances are I probably don't need to, but I do like to overprepare. :D
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'll be honest with you, HE, I didn't look at those presentations. It was only because I saw that, as with my other Taskstream classes, it was just sufficient to bypass the CoS and just hit the TaskStreams and call it a day.

Had the price for the textbook been prohibitive, I probably would have jumped into the CoS and see what my options would have been and probably would have seen those presentations. However, since $16-$20 isn't exactly a week's worth of groceries ( icon_razz.gif ) for me, figured I'd just get it...I can also skim it before my ORC1 exam, though chances are I probably don't need to, but I do like to overprepare. :D

Cost wasn't the issue with me, time was. I was not going to wait around a week to get a book when I could get the course out of the way and move on. That said, I completely agree with you. If I'd had it, I would have used it.
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Cost wasn't the issue with me, time was. I was not going to wait around a week to get a book when I could get the course out of the way and move on. That said, I completely agree with you. If I'd had it, I would have used it.

Understood...in my case all I had was time, since I couldn't take anything else when I realized how easy it was. Since I saw others state that the book was good I went with that, and glad I did.

Now...I just wait for the verdict of the graders....grrrrrr! Tonight I'll use said book to skim through whatever I need for ORC1.
    Understood...in my case all I had was time, since I couldn't take anything else when I realized how easy it was. Since I saw others state that the book was good I went with that, and glad I did.

Now...I just wait for the verdict of the graders....grrrrrr! Tonight I'll use said book to skim through whatever I need for ORC1.

on orc1 take the pre-assessment, view the coaching report and click links for the areas you where low in then you can use the skillsoft from there

what i plan on doing i have the test on the 14th
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□

I passed ORC1 and MGC1 without looking so you'll be fine. Even took them back to back on the same day.
    Where can I find the list of testing centers to take ORC1 and MGC1 at? Can you do it at a prometric place? I'm not sure if I want to do the webcam thing.
    Where can I find the list of testing centers to take ORC1 and MGC1 at? Can you do it at a prometric place? I'm not sure if I want to do the webcam thing.

For ORC1 and MGC1 you can take that at any place that you took other WGU based tests. I.e. sylvan learning center or a local college. You can search for a place when you submit the form for the assessment. You can also take them at prometric centers. This is described in detail in EWB.
    One benefit to taking the exam at home is that you immediately know if you passed or not.

I understand folks might have distractions surrounding them, but in my house, I minimize that with a loving and understanding fiance. In essence, I'm not to be disturbed unless she is either dying or there is some other grave emergency.

I'm hating the fact that I have to wait this long for Taskstream tasks....I'm not trying to transfer that anxiety toward exams that aren't certs. If I can take it at home...not only does it save me time and money, but I can also immediate celebrate or study....(so far it's celebrating...knock on wood.)
  • ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From the comments throughout this thread it seems people who take an exam at a Prometric center don't find out their results immediately?

I've taken 5 exams (CLC1, IWC1, MGC1, ORC1, QMC1) at the same sylvan learning site and at the end of every test it tells me if I passed or failed. (luckily haven't had a "Fail" yet)

Do other people not see these results as soon as the test is done?
    One benefit to taking the exam at home is that you immediately know if you passed or not.

Is there testing software you have to install, or is it done through a web browser? How does the person watching you on the webcam know if you have a word document with notes open or something?

I wonder if anyone ever messes with the webcam person and takes the test without a shirt on or something.
    Is there testing software you have to install, or is it done through a web browser? How does the person watching you on the webcam know if you have a word document with notes open or something?

I wonder if anyone ever messes with the webcam person and takes the test without a shirt on or something.

You get a program that you install on your computer. While it's running, you can't access anything else until the test is over or it's cancelled on their end. It's all explained in EWB.

The webcam has to be positioned in a way that they see your typing/hands.

It is recommended that you wear a shirt. :) (I'm pretty sure they'll call you and ask for it....)
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

I could totally see some people messing with the proctors. Little strip tease etc.

On a positive note, financial aid is done with, they awarded me way more than i'll need so i'm trying to get that toned down to bare minimum tution and a little bit extra for lab gear my first term. Everything looks to be a go for March 1st, getting excited and a little nervous. Have an interview tomorrow about a job that'll allow me to work at home doing remote admin stuff, would give me a huge advantage during downtime as I would be able to do school stuff then. Let's hope that goes well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Reibe wrote: »
    From the comments throughout this thread it seems people who take an exam at a Prometric center don't find out their results immediately?

I've taken 5 exams (CLC1, IWC1, MGC1, ORC1, QMC1) at the same sylvan learning site and at the end of every test it tells me if I passed or failed. (luckily haven't had a "Fail" yet)

Do other people not see these results as soon as the test is done?

I think it's a matter of people not seeing the results show up in their student records immediately. I found it a little unnerving, myself. It usually only took a few hours for that info to populate, though.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□

Or you could load it up in a VM. I've actually done so and the program didn't realize it was in a VM. I didn't do it during a test...I was doing the little try it out deal to see how it works on your computer.