Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    It is wrong on many levels to allow IT people to test at home. There are so many exploits that I can imagine. Personally I just take my exams at the local University which is a mile from where I work. To many hassles for me to set up for a test at home.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Please tell me why you would have Microsoft IT Academy SQL server classes as an additional learning resource for BRV1 (CCENT)? I certainly hope it is a mistake in the COS and they actually offer some type of simulation for the class. I looked at the class for SQL and it is BPV1, so I am guessing it is a mistake, but you'd think they would look over it before publishing the COS.

I just took the CCNA test and I dont understand why they would have SQL as a resource. Never took the SQL test but that still doesnt make sense. I am not real sure on the difference in the way they split the tests now (I took the 802 big one). But make sure you know subnetting. I saw someone else comment on that section was skipped but I know you will need it quite a bit on at least 1 of the 2 tests. You have to figure out subnets/wildcards before you can even attempt to answer what they are asking for on some of the questions.

I am doing my certification happy dance today. This one was REALLY TOUGH for me. I did great on it but some of the questions made my brain hurt figuring them out.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    After much discussion with my mentor I got that fixed. I guess SQL and Cisco sound alike. icon_rolleyes.gif I knew it was wrong and it was in the COS and I didn't want others to have to think they had to study that. And yes for the CCENT they have you use the CCNA labsim, but don't require you to do the subnetting sections. I am sure that is going to bite a few of the people unfamiliar with Cisco exams.

And congrats on the pass!
    WGU grad
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    It is wrong on many levels to allow IT people to test at home. There are so many exploits that I can imagine. Personally I just take my exams at the local University which is a mile from where I work. To many hassles for me to set up for a test at home.

UH, I would hope that you believe me when I tell you I do not utilize any "exploits"...I am very above board when it comes to the exams...
    Well....I don't know what's up with Task 1....lmao. But Task 2 and 3 are not only passed, but I got 4/4 on both. However......apparently more needs to be done with Task 4, so I got a visit to Revisionville. LMAO...the grader wasn't very cryptic though...I think because he really liked the first two, he kinda wanted to make sure I got what I needed and get it over with as soon as possible...which I will when I get home. Hopefully, I'll know what's up with Task 1 by the time I get to the house....lmao.

For all intents and purposes though...LET1 is in the bag....I would have been happy with 3/4 on both....but I guess attention to detail paid off...lmao. Task 4, was a bit of a rush job. But this actually was the best case scenario, in the sense that I would know kinda what I needed to do.
    Even with my Task 4 revision, I still managed to get a 4 out of 4 with APA. So I uploaded what I did for one of my LET1 papers. No worries; you don't get the paper itself; only my title. icon_cool.gif But there is no harm in showing the following:

1) A Running Head with Page Number
    2) A Title Page with Title, Full Name and School you attend, written out in full. :)
    3) The Title Centered on the top of the First Page
    4) Proper In-Text Citation
    5) A Reference Page at the end of your paper.

If you were missing any one of those, chances are that's why you got 3 out of 4. The only thing that's not needed was an Abstract.

Funny thing about APA was I couldn't even spell it, let alone practice it, prior to attending WGU. I was very uncomfortable with it when I first started. I guess after LAT1, it's pretty much all right now... :)

Mind you there are a ton of APA resources available through Google. You can even use Word to create your Biblography/Reference page (though it'll need to be tweaked a bit so that you get rid of the color, etc.) I just figured this will help those who find APA crappy to get over the hurdle. And like I said, there's no paper in the document....so there's no academic dishonesty... :D

Oh, almost forgot about font...Times New Romans 12 pt and 2.0 line spacing...a must! :D
    uhtrinity wrote: »

I guess you could use exploits but they do watch you close. They stopped one of my tests because my mouse was just a little outside camera range and they could not see my hand for a second or two. I reset camera and they let the test go on. I really liked the testing at home for the general ed stuff. I agree it would be bad for certs but for the gen ed I think it makes sense. I had to drive an hour to take my CCNA (Pearson Vue). If I had to do that for all my gen ed it would have been tough.

If someone wants to **** they will find a way testing center or not.

erpadmin wrote: »
    Even with my Task 4 revision, I still managed to get a 4 out of 4 with APA. So I uploaded what I did for one of my LET1 papers. No worries; you don't get the paper itself; only my title. icon_cool.gif But there is no harm in showing the following:

Thanks for the tips. I never got a 4/4 on my APA section. This is going to help with my capstone and masters papers. Creating a tremplate now. icon_cheers.gif

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    just passed let1 this morning

it wasnt as hard as the english classes thats for sure
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Even with my Task 4 revision, I still managed to get a 4 out of 4 with APA.

:P

See how you are? :) Were you one of those kids taking fruit to your elementary teachers?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    1) A Running Head with Page Number
    2) A Title Page with Title, Full Name and School you attend, written out in full. :)
    3) The Title Centered on the top of the First Page
    4) Proper In-Text Citation
    5) A Reference Page at the end of your paper.

I think for the true English classes the graders are more tough on these, but I have found that the business and science are not as strict, but then they are grading the content more that the formatting.
    WGU grad
  • Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Got my transcript evaluation back from WGU. I didn't think they would accept any coursework from ITT (especially since I only finished 3 classes in 1 semester before I dropped out), but it looks like they accepted CLC1 as a transfer! I just got my email from MS regarding my transcript for the 70-680 certification so I sent that out to my counselor as well.

Looks like my March 1st start date is still a go and I'll be transferring in CLC1, AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, and ABV1. Doing the general BS:IT program.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Got my transcript evaluation back from WGU. I didn't think they would accept any coursework from ITT (especially since I only finished 3 classes in 1 semester before I dropped out), but it looks like they accepted CLC1 as a transfer! I just got my email from MS regarding my transcript for the 70-680 certification so I sent that out to my counselor as well.

Looks like my March 1st start date is still a go and I'll be transferring in CLC1, AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, and ABV1. Doing the general BS:IT program.

WOO! Hospitality crew for life! icon_cheers.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Hypntick wrote: »
    WOO! Hospitality crew for life! icon_cheers.gif

Indeed! Glad I got someone I know personally starting up the program along with me, will definitely help keep the motivation there if things start to take a wrong turn.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
    LET1 is now in the win column. All of my tasks were passed on the first attempt except for Task 4. In truth though, it was written kinda hastily. A couple of stupid stuff that I had overlooked. Once it was explained what I was missing (which I have to say, this particular grader was very non-cryptic, so I give him props for that), I was able to do what I needed to do. I think he understood that I was capable, but had to ding me for missing a couple of things.

I would properly celebrate, but I got a busy weekend with ORC1 and MGC1, so I'm gonna sleep early.

thenjduke, that book is almost yours...lmao.
    petedude wrote: »
    icon_razz.gif

See how you are? :) Were you one of those kids taking fruit to your elementary teachers?

Hardly...I was the "do-the-bare-minimum" type of kid. Had no need to be a suck-up. :D
    LET1 is now in the win column. All of my tasks were passed on the first attempt except for Task 4. In truth though, it was written kinda hastily. A couple of stupid stuff that I had overlooked. Once it was explained what I was missing (which I have to say, this particular grader was very non-cryptic, so I give him props for that), I was able to do what I needed to do. I think he understood that I was capable, but had to ding me for missing a couple of things.

I would properly celebrate, but I got a busy weekend with ORC1 and MGC1, so I'm gonna sleep early.

thenjduke, that book is almost yours...lmao.

You must have gotten some quick graders or caught it at the right time. When I did LET1 it was a minimum of 3 days and 1 took the full 5 days.
    WGU grad
    You must have gotten some quick graders or caught it at the right time. When I did LET1 it was a minimum of 3 days and 1 took the full 5 days.

If I'm not mistaken, you took LET1 toward the end of the month, right? (Or maybe closer to the middle.) My mentor told me that it gets kinda crazy toward the end of the month with Taskstream.

Taskstreams tend to be good in the beginning of the month, as per my mentor. But I had planned on taking LET1 toward this week anyway so it really didn't matter. Once ORC1/MGC1 are done, I'm putting all my free time toward QLC1/QLT1....must conquer the fear. :)
    If I'm not mistaken, you took LET1 toward the end of the month, right? (Or maybe closer to the middle.) My mentor told me that it gets kinda crazy toward the end of the month with Taskstream.

Taskstreams tend to be good in the beginning of the month, as per my mentor. But I had planned on taking LET1 toward this week anyway so it really didn't matter. Once ORC1/MGC1 are done, I'm putting all my free time toward QLC1/QLT1....must conquer the fear. :)

Yeah, it was probably middle. Would you slow down a little? I am trying to keep up...lol icon_wink.gif
    WGU grad
    Thanks for the tips. I never got a 4/4 on my APA section. This is going to help with my capstone and masters papers. Creating a tremplate now. icon_cheers.gif

I'm sure you are already aware, but for those who might not, make sure you use gender-neutral language (no "he" or "she" pronouns) or the pronoun "I." It's not considered good for academic/business writing. I got lazy in one of my tasks and got dinged for it. The other ones were properly adhered to.
    Yeah, it was probably middle. Would you slow down a little? I am trying to keep up...lol icon_wink.gif

What are you talking about? You're the one with 33 (or was it more) CUs in the first term. I only had 28. I'm still behind you with 32 [so far]....lmao.
  • myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the CIW Web Foundations Associate today and scored 79 out of 85. The test was easy enough, and I completed the test in about 15 minutes. I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get a perfect score, but a pass is a pass. I'm not even sure which ones I missed, although I know what categories the ones I missed are from.
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    I took the CIW Web Foundations Associate today and scored 79 out of 85. The test was easy enough, and I completed the test in about 15 minutes. I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get a perfect score, but a pass is a pass. I'm not even sure which ones I missed, although I know what categories the ones I missed are from.

I didn't get the highest of scores. I just knew I could get the minimum 54 questions to pass that cert so I could put it behind me. I now have the cert on standby should I require TP...lmao. In that respect, you did great!

The Javascript one, in fairness, will be a bit more respected, as I have to put some study time toward it. Hope I can pass the math this month after ORC1/MGC1.
    Well, also as expected, ORC1 is over and done with. thenjduke has my book provided I get his cash...lmao. Next stop, MGC1 and Super Bowl with the fellas....

Got a high enough cut score...score well above it, though it wasn't an ace (but a decent percentage.) 12 CUs in 6 days seems like a possibility. After that though, to jmj's credit, I will be slowing down for the math...gonna study my butt off for QLC1 and QLT1...then I expect to slow down once more for AKV1/BOV1...I *think* I can still take the 1D0-435 but don't quote me. I won't know until I talk to my mentor once more. I just wanted to get the management out of the way.

Thanks guys....two down...one to go. :D
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Indeed! Glad I got someone I know personally starting up the program along with me, will definitely help keep the motivation there if things start to take a wrong turn.

My thoughts exactly sir. Speaking of which, can I copy off your math homework when we get to school? icon_lol.gif
    Well, also as expected, ORC1 is over and done with.

So you're saying you've slain the Orc plaguing our village? Sorry, couldn't resist.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    I didn't get the highest of scores. I just knew I could get the minimum 54 questions to pass that cert so I could put it behind me. I now have the cert on standby should I require TP...lmao. In that respect, you did great!

The Javascript one, in fairness, will be a bit more respected, as I have to put some study time toward it. Hope I can pass the math this month after ORC1/MGC1.

Make sure that you read the appendixes for the Javascript book supplied by WGU. Some of the material on my 1st test was hiding there :) I think I am ready to take it again next weekend. Have chapters 4,5,6 solid
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Can't seem to find the Management book for less than $50-60 used. Found this site ecampus.com that lets you rent it for $30... may go with that.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    sheckler wrote: »
    Can't seem to find the Management book for less than $50-60 used. Found this site ecampus.com that lets you rent it for $30... may go with that.

I think the Kindle version is like $23.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I have a copy of the book for LET1/ORC1 $20 + shipping. Let me know.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    Just a heads up for any of the security people out there. I always use 2 sources when it comes to certs but the COS only lists the cisco press book. Fter looking through a few forums and somne reccommendations.

If your looking for a second source for material on CCNA Security CBT Nuggets is pretty good. The guy that does them is entertaining and gets the info accross in a way thats really easy to understand. Some of the videos are a little longer that what you would find in the Lab Sims but they go fast.

Just my 2 cents if your looking for additional material to help get you through it.