Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I have a copy of the book for LET1/ORC1 $20 + shipping. Let me know.

I'll take it.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jack2 wrote: »
    Make sure that you read the appendixes for the Javascript book supplied by WGU. Some of the material on my 1st test was hiding there :) I think I am ready to take it again next weekend. Have chapters 4,5,6 solid

Noted and bookmarked...will need it when the time comes... :)
    Six days into second term, and I got my 12 CUs out of the way with LET1, ORC1 and MGC1....

MGC1 is one of those "you either know it or you don't." There were times I felt this could be a "fail", but apparently this was not the case. This was definitely rougher than ORC1, that much I know.

Well, now we begin our Math journey.....no further classes will be added until I pass QLC1 or QLT1.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the quick start to the new term. Keep the momentum up through the math and I'm sure you'll be done in no time. :)

Be very glad you transferred in SST1. If it were possible to be physically injured by the sheer boredom conferred by some tasks, I'd be in the hospital right now. Struggling to force myself to finish this up, but I'm slogging through it. I find myself looking for ways to avoid working on it (such as this post), so I guess I should go back to working on it again before I lose another hour or two.
    Just a heads up for any of the security people out there. I always use 2 sources when it comes to certs but the COS only lists the cisco press book. Fter looking through a few forums and somne reccommendations.

If your looking for a second source for material on CCNA Security CBT Nuggets is pretty good. The guy that does them is entertaining and gets the info accross in a way thats really easy to understand. Some of the videos are a little longer that what you would find in the Lab Sims but they go fast.

Just my 2 cents if your looking for additional material to help get you through it.

Thanks for the information. What all did you use for your CCNA studies? I've been kicking around the thought of switching to the Security track for a couple of months, but I still haven't made up my mind.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Well, now we begin our Math journey.....no further classes will be added until I pass QLC1 or QLT1.

So....That will be in a week then... QLC1 and QLT1 weren't that bad.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Had a rough term. Didn't make SAP due to some personal issues and have, for those reasons, been neglecting scholl as well as being gone from here.
    Anyone going on VA chapter 31 or any related VA program should take note. Your VA counselor is a good person to work with. The VA financial aid people at WGU are not very helpful as their job is less to help you than it is to keep WGU in compliance with VA policy. My VA counselor is arranging it so that I not only wont lose my financial aid but don't have to pay back for this term since my problems were medical.
    I'll have to take an extra term to graduate and since I lost my job and fell so far behind on a lot of financial things I'm having to move in with in-laws for a few months. Hopefully the job market where I'm moving to is better than the job market here.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    Had a rough term. Didn't make SAP due to some personal issues and have, for those reasons, been neglecting scholl as well as being gone from here.
    Anyone going on VA chapter 31 or any related VA program should take note. Your VA counselor is a good person to work with. The VA financial aid people at WGU are not very helpful as their job is less to help you than it is to keep WGU in compliance with VA policy. My VA counselor is arranging it so that I not only wont lose my financial aid but don't have to pay back for this term since my problems were medical.
    I'll have to take an extra term to graduate and since I lost my job and fell so far behind on a lot of financial things I'm having to move in with in-laws for a few months. Hopefully the job market where I'm moving to is better than the job market here.

I've been wondering what had happened with you, as I noticed you stop posting. All I can say is to hang in there, man. I've dealt with the same issues before, and I know how hard it can be. Best of luck in the job hunt and in recovering from your health issues.
    Hang in there earweed. I'm sure the VA won't let you down. Every school has a messed up bureaucracy and I'm sure WGU is no different in that regard. Focus on getting well.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you get things squared away.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□

VA will work with you....

Bad things happen but good things are always right around the corner. Get well soon...
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Had a rough term.
    Take care of business -- health first. Then get back on track with everything else as time and health permits.

Good Luck and Best Wishes icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. What all did you use for your CCNA studies? I've been kicking around the thought of switching to the Security track for a couple of months, but I still haven't made up my mind.

I used Lab-Sim, Network sim (both WGU provided),and the CNNA book from cisco press. The explanataion of subnetting is really good in Lab-sim. Even if you dont do the CCNA see if you can get a hold of it. IPv6 will make it old news but its still good info for any networking (aqt least right now).
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
    Had a rough term.

Sorry to hear about the rough patch. Just remeber it will make the degree even sweeter when you finish after the stuff your going through.

Six days into second term, and I got my 12 CUs out of the way with LET1, ORC1 and MGC1....

MGC1 is one of those "you either know it or you don't." There were times I felt this could be a "fail", but apparently this was not the case. This was definitely rougher than ORC1, that much I know.

NICE JOB! Fun to go fast for a bit isnt it? keep knocking them out!

NICE JOB! Fun to go fast for a bit isnt it? keep knocking them out!

Call me crazy, but I think QLT1 might actually happen....(in terms of quickness).

I am going through the entire course of study right now with (well, not at this second...but maybe on my lunch hour) and I just learned how to graph linear equations with Excel. Mind you, I'm sure some of you have kids that are doing that, but I found that cool and neat. I don't care for that guy that does the Acrobat presentations....but when I can get his verbal..."mannerisms" [I'll leave it at...], I actually get what he's teaching.

The way I was taught math was a joke. They had the worst math teacher possible teaching math to those who didn't make the honors cut, and the best teachers teaching the honors kids. You'd think that if these "geniuses" were that good in math (and they weren't, they were just good at cheating), they would've had the guy that taught me math teach them.

My last year of high school, I was going to take "mechanical drawing" instead of Algebra III/Trig. The teacher who taught that class came up to me and asked why I wouldn't take Algebra III from the get go. I told her to look at my grades...I barely got by the last three years...why would I risk summer school in my senior year? She promised that she would not only get me to understand math better, but that my SAT scores would be higher for it. She was right and I was glad I took it. Much of it is starting to come back to me.

Let see how it goes....if I'm right, I should be done by the end of the month for sure....or the latest middle of March.
    Call me crazy, but I think QLT1 might actually happen....(in terms of quickness).

I am going through the entire course of study right now with (well, not at this second...but maybe on my lunch hour) and I just learned how to graph linear equations with Excel. Mind you, I'm sure some of you have kids that are doing that, but I found that cool and neat. I don't care for that guy that does the Acrobat presentations....but when I can get his verbal..."mannerisms" [I'll leave it at...], I actually get what he's teaching.

The way I was taught math was a joke. They had the worst math teacher possible teaching math to those who didn't make the honors cut, and the best teachers teaching the honors kids. You'd think that if these "geniuses" were that good in math (and they weren't, they were just good at cheating), they would've had the guy that taught me math teach them.

My last year of high school, I was going to take "mechanical drawing" instead of Algebra III/Trig. The teacher who taught that class came up to me and asked why I wouldn't take Algebra III from the get go. I told her to look at my grades...I barely got by the last three years...why would I risk summer school in my senior year? She promised that she would not only get me to understand math better, but that my SAT scores would be higher for it. She was right and I was glad I took it. Much of it is starting to come back to me.

Let see how it goes....if I'm right, I should be done by the end of the month for sure....or the latest middle of March.

I think you'll be done faster than you think. I'm not a math person. I was intimidated by the thought of doing it, but I just waded in with a "hell with it, let's see what happens" attitude. It was not "easy" but it wasn't the most difficult thing I've done so far by a long shot. The only thing that stumped me (for a couple of hours) was the geometry proof. I spent 2 hours googling and reviewing some of the links from the Mathlab, etc, and then it was done.

We all have strengths and weaknesses, to be sure, but math isn't a strength of mine and I completed all 3 classes in 9 days while working full time as you are. I'm sure you'll knock them out quickly.
    I used Lab-Sim, Network sim (both WGU provided),and the CNNA book from cisco press. The explanataion of subnetting is really good in Lab-sim. Even if you dont do the CCNA see if you can get a hold of it. IPv6 will make it old news but its still good info for any networking (aqt least right now).

Thanks, man. Yeah, I'll probably check it out, one way or another. I'm thinking about keeping my current track and enrolling in a Cisco course at a local community college to do alongside my WGU degree. The main reason I'm considering this is that I'd love to have (legitimate) access to the Cisco Academy labs and sim. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    So, today I received my transfer evaluation and I certainly didn't expect the results. I am both amazed and excited at all that I am exempt from taking!

My previous AAS knocked out:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, AXV1, TTV1, BOV1, TNV1

All for a total of 48 CU! icon_cheers.gif (if my math is correct)

Left to take: EWB2, WFV1, BRV1, TSV1, IWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1, TPV1, ABV1, MGC1, TWA1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, CPW2

I'm excited to get started in March.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Pishof wrote: »
    So, today I received my transfer evaluation and I certainly didn't expect the results. I am both amazed and excited at all that I am exempt from taking!

My previous AAS knocked out:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, AXV1, TTV1, BOV1, TNV1

All for a total of 48 CU! icon_cheers.gif (if my math is correct)

Left to take: EWB2, WFV1, BRV1, TSV1, IWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1, TPV1, ABV1, MGC1, TWA1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, AJV1, CPW2

I too was very excited to see what my AAS and certs knocked out.
    Left to take: EWB2, WFV1, BRV1, TSV1, IWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1, TPV1, ABV1, MGC1, TWA1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, AJV1, CPW2

I don't normally do this...in fact, I have only advised I believe one other time on a suggested study path. However, I'm kinda comfortable doing so since I'm more than halfway through the program.

EWB2, IWC1, IWT1, TSV1 (your first 12 CUs right there)

I advise you get rid of IW(X)1 because you will be introduced to the APA format with this, since you transferred in LAE1, LAT1 and LUT1. This will help you with LET1 (GET THE BOOK!) Also, with Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead, you will pass Security+ in very short order. You will want to take TSV1 before you take WFV1 (you don't have to, but it is a good idea....). WFV1 is a culmination of A+, Network+ and Security+ with a little Project+ thrown in (plus some stuff on copyright law) and HTML. Between the study guide found at mcmcse.com, and a quick brush up of HTML, you'll pass WFV1 no problem anyway.

After you knock that out in a couple of weeks (or a month...whatever you want):

WFV1, TPV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1

That will leave you with these:

BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, AJV1, TWA1, CPW2

Except for the last two, the classes preceding those you can attack those as you see fit. I'm guessing AJV1 written twice are your Java classes.

With this suggested route, you'll have a mix of certs/non cert classes and you should be able to slay CUs like the rest of us. Remember, it's just a suggestion. Do what you think is comfortable, but I think that's a good way to start your program right.

Best of luck in your studies, and have fun! :)
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'm a little behind in my studies and have come to the conclusion that I probably won't finish in 3 terms. This is something that I wasn't planning for, but life have other plans. By life I mean my back... 2 surgeries in 2 weeks with a 3rd on Friday. My studies have become 2nd place with everything and I have lost over a month of my current term to life. But anyways... Taking the 70-680 again tomorrow, hopefully I pass then trying to get the web design one done in a few weeks. That will put me at 33 CU for the term and 2 months left. Hopefully I'll finish with 40-42 CU just like last term but I was sure hoping I could do 60 and be done by next term.

Anyways, everyone keep up the good work and even when life gets you down just know to get back up. Just need to go with the flow sometimes.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    I'm a little behind in my studies and have come to the conclusion that I probably won't finish in 3 terms. This is something that I wasn't planning for, but life have other plans. By life I mean my back... 2 surgeries in 2 weeks with a 3rd on Friday. My studies have become 2nd place with everything and I have lost over a month of my current term to life. But anyways... Taking the 70-680 again tomorrow, hopefully I pass then trying to get the web design one done in a few weeks. That will put me at 33 CU for the term and 2 months left. Hopefully I'll finish with 40-42 CU just like last term but I was sure hoping I could do 60 and be done by next term.

Anyways, everyone keep up the good work and even when life gets you down just know to get back up. Just need to go with the flow sometimes.

Good advice. Hang in there and get well soon.
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    I don't normally do this...in fact, I have only advised I believe one other time on a suggested study path. However, I'm kinda comfortable doing so since I'm more than halfway through the program.

EWB2, IWC1, IWT1, TSV1 (your first 12 CUs right there)

I advise you get rid of IW(X)1 because you will be introduced to the APA format with this, since you transferred in LAE1, LAT1 and LUT1. This will help you with LET1 (GET THE BOOK!) Also, with Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead, you will pass Security+ in very short order. You will want to take TSV1 before you take WFV1 (you don't have to, but it is a good idea....). WFV1 is a culmination of A+, Network+ and Security+ with a little Project+ thrown in (plus some stuff on copyright law) and HTML. Between the study guide found at mcmcse.com, and a quick brush up of HTML, you'll pass WFV1 no problem anyway.

After you knock that out in a couple of weeks (or a month...whatever you want):

WFV1, TPV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1

That will leave you with these:

BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, AJV1, TWA1, CPW2

Except for the last two, the classes preceding those you can attack those as you see fit. I'm guessing AJV1 written twice are your Java classes.

With this suggested route, you'll have a mix of certs/non cert classes and you should be able to slay CUs like the rest of us. Remember, it's just a suggestion. Do what you think is comfortable, but I think that's a good way to start your program right.

Best of luck in your studies, and have fun! :)

Thanks a lot for the advice. I've read it over multiple times. I've been spending some time trying to decide how I want to go at a COS and I've decided I'm going to push and try to finish in two terms.

The first term will be clearing out the easier certs and humanities/leaderships classes. My final goal for the first term will be 70-680 in which I'll give myself well over a month to really get it down as a foundation for the Microsoft-centric second term.

My goal is for second term to leave me only the (3) MCITP exams and technical writing/capstone. That way I'll have plenty of time to spend on each exam and finishing the capstone project.

This is how I envision it going. Note to myself this is tentative and not set in stone. I intend to use my burst of motivation at the start to clear a few easier certs followed up with a humanities vacation. icon_lol.gif

First Term: EWB2, TSV1, WFV1, TPV1, IWC1, IWT1, BRV1, LET1, ORC1, ABV1 = 38 CU

Second Term: MGC1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, TWA1, CPW2 = 35 CU

Does that sound doable? I work 40 hr a week but I'll have plenty of free time to study.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
    Thanks a lot for the advice. I've read it over multiple times. I've been spending some time trying to decide how I want to go at a COS and I've decided I'm going to push and try to finish in two terms.

The first term will be clearing out the easier certs and humanities/leaderships classes. My final goal for the first term will be 70-680 in which I'll give myself well over a month to really get it down as a foundation for the Microsoft-centric second term.

My goal is for second term to leave me only the (3) MCITP exams and technical writing/capstone. That way I'll have plenty of time to spend on each exam and finishing the capstone project.

This is how I envision it going. Note to myself this is tentative and not set in stone. I intend to use my burst of motivation at the start to clear a few easier certs followed up with a humanities vacation. icon_lol.gif

Does that sound doable? I work 40 hr a week but I'll have plenty of free time to study.

I second getting the first APA course out of the way. It made things sooo much easier once I understood exactly what they wanted. Even though I didnt get a 4/4 on it like some people here. :P

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One bad thing about getting those APA courses out of the way early is that you'll have to do some reviewing of the APA stuff when you get to the end and have to do your Technical Writing and Capstone.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    One bad thing about getting those APA courses out of the way early is that you'll have to do some reviewing of the APA stuff when you get to the end and have to do your Technical Writing and Capstone.

indeed

im tring to knock out my classes in blocks of similarities
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Found out something interesting today.

I dare you, just dare you, to find a first semester course in a B&M school that requires as much as WGU does for their introductory Java course. A few, very few might go into Initiators or some other advanced OOP implementation but most stop at barely drawing your first GUI application after teaching you-- wait for it-- arrays.

Joke all you like about CIW certs, but wait till you get to that Java course. :D
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers

indeed

im tring to knock out my classes in blocks of similarities

Guys, I don't think it would be a problem. If you did need to review the APA stuff, the last papers you wrote should be more than enough.

What saves me time is putting my sources in Word 2007 and then clicking on "Insert citation." Best time saver ever. :D

You can do ORC1/MGC1 either in one day (wish I'd have known that....grrrrr....) or take ORC1/MGC1 in the same weekend like I did. No need to break that up.

Other than that, sounds doable.