Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    What order would you guys recommend I take these classes in:
    EWB2, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, ABV1, BRV1, BSV1, WDV1 ,WSV1 and BLUV1

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jack2 wrote: »
    PASSED the CIW Java script 44/50! AKV1 done and end of the courses required for this term! Nice to have 100% SAP. I will add Network plus next .. term end April 31st..
    Congrats! Net+ Is VERY doable in that time frame.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    erpadmin wrote: »
    CONGRATS! Sheckler is probably right.....you can knock TNV1 and TSV1 in three weeks tops, plus one week of LET1/MGC1/ORC1. Network+ with your credentials is not rocket science. :) (Even without them, it isn't.......) TSV1....well you know the resource to use. :)

Thanks for all of the confidence guys! Not sure if I could cram that many more classes in LOL

But, I have the books for all of them already :) I'll take the time to pass the exams the first time...:) icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    The 70-680 Test is killing me. Failed for the 2nd time last Wednesday. I have never failed a test twice in my life. The test is designed to fail you. Both times now I have been asked questions that are way way out there. I've gone through lab sim 2-3 times, read a few books, passed every practice test I could find, etc. But I'm come out of testing center feeling like I know nothing, like an idiot. I understand that they made the test harder to give it credibility but come on. The test is designed to fail you. Now I need to pay for the next try. I get the feeling the only way to pass it is if you work with Windows 7 everyday and have experience in a corporate environment. Oh well... This term I'm screwed due to having 3 back surgeries, vacation and other life events. I was hoping to be done next term but that is out of the question now. Now that I know that I've lost all what was left of my motivation. Focus will be on to get a pass on 70-680 and try to get site designer done.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry to hear you're having a tough time with the 70-680. That's the next one up for me, and I'm definitely not taking it lightly.

Hang in there and don't let it beat you. There is no shame in failing--only in quitting. Sounds like you've been through a lot, so just pace yourself realistically and keep your head up.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Man, have you guys ever studied so much that you know exactly what they're asking, but you are starting to forget everything else you do? LMAO. Reminds me of that MWC episode where Bud tutors Kelly to get better grades, and she turned into a book smart genius, but couldn't remember her name sometimes. LMAO.

I'm not really that bad, but I'm feeling it. Got 1 out of 5 Taskstream tasks out of the way for QLT1, and I *think* the second task will get a pass (I thought I was gonna be dinged on the the third question, but apparently I was not....messed up on the fourth and fifth one, which I believe has been rectified after I saw why that was).

What I love about QLT1 is that it gets me comfortable with QLC1. I'm actually doing the homework and I find myself doing math I haven't tocuhed since 1988. LMAO (Doing common factors to factor out square roots....man that's a pain). Of course, I have the entire interwebs at my disposal. I'm actually hopeful that this will help me out for the GRE/GMAT. I'm doing more work for math than I did for LAT1. But that was expected and since LAT1 was very draining, I had to wait until this term to do what I had to do.

I dunno, I guess I'm just venting. I am going to celebrate my butt off when this math jazz is over. I'm grateful that I went to a good high school where much of this was taught, but I slept through it. LMAO. I guess it's either coming back, or I actually do *get it.*

Edit: Just got QLT1 Task2 out of the way! YAY! two-fifths done with QLT1! I almost hit the panic button on that one too, but I guess you do need to know how many feet are in a story....lmao. (Nothing the almighty Google couldn't help out with...)
    Qlt1 Make sure you get your labels right, that got me my tasks sent back a few times.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    The test is designed to fail you.

No, that would be Cisco's exams. :O

Ya never know with M$, though. One time they may throw you a bone, another time they pull you in and whack you over the head with the exam.

Good luck on the retry and on everything else going on.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    Qlt1 Make sure you get your labels right, that got me my tasks sent back a few times.

On task 2, the irrelevant quadrant is what got me. When I saw the message on the community, I got straight.

Just handed in Task 3.....it looks like we're almost done. I have got to get some sleep now.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    On task 2, the irrelevant quadrant is what got me. When I saw the message on the community, I got straight.

Just handed in Task 3.....it looks like we're almost done. I have got to get some sleep now.
    You got it whipped dude. Most people grow up thinking math is hard. It just takes practice to initially learn it and then you never really forget it. You must have "got it" back in high school. I went to high school a long time back and algebra was always my first class. I "Spicolli'd" my way through Alg I & II but made A's *which I don't recommend to any young people out there) and thankfully the long term memory was good to go for me.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Man, have you guys ever studied so much that you know exactly what they're asking, but you are starting to forget everything else you do? LMAO. Reminds me of that MWC episode where Bud tutors Kelly to get better grades, and she turned into a book smart genius, but couldn't remember her name sometimes. LMAO.

Been there, done that, my friend. :) 28 units in the first semester, all that work on databases/Javascript/web design/leadership. . . and what's my name again?
    --Will Rogers
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    You got it whipped dude. Most people grow up thinking math is hard. It just takes practice to initially learn it and then you never really forget it. You must have "got it" back in high school. I went to high school a long time back and algebra was always my first class. I "Spicolli'd" my way through Alg I & II but made A's *which I don't recommend to any young people out there) and thankfully the long term memory was good to go for me.

Spicolli'd.....lol I did that for English from 8th grade up. I'm sorry but the 2 profound things that Bill Shakespeare was aiming for for his plays where "How much will I get for this" and "Will chicks dig it"....I wasn't very popular with the English teachers in high school.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Do you ever just get burned out of studying one subject? I have been studying the CCENT material for the last month and I don't want to read about another show command, ppp encapsulation, hdlc, subnetting, osi model, dod model, and config t anymore. Hopefully it means I am ready. I have to take the test on Friday.
    WGU grad
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    yea i do get burned out but for me its the best way to learn
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    Do you ever just get burned out of studying one subject?. . . Hopefully it means I am ready. I have to take the test on Friday.

Yep. That's usually when I'm ready, when I'm absolutely positively sick of studying for a particular exam.
    --Will Rogers
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    michaelcox wrote: »
    What order would you guys recommend I take these classes in:
    EWB2, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, ABV1, BRV1, BSV1, WDV1 ,WSV1 and BLUV1

Take what you feel comfortable with. I like to group them together so one class builds on the next. If you can do that it makes it much easier. Kind of like taking a 100 course then a 200 course at a brick and mortar.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    The 70-680 Test is killing me. Failed for the 2nd time last Wednesday. I have never failed a test twice in my life. The test is designed to fail you. Both times now I have been asked questions that are way way out there. I've gone through lab sim 2-3 times, read a few books, passed every practice test I could find, etc. But I'm come out of testing center feeling like I know nothing, like an idiot. I understand that they made the test harder to give it credibility but come on. The test is designed to fail you. Now I need to pay for the next try. I get the feeling the only way to pass it is if you work with Windows 7 everyday and have experience in a corporate environment. Oh well... This term I'm screwed due to having 3 back surgeries, vacation and other life events. I was hoping to be done next term but that is out of the question now. Now that I know that I've lost all what was left of my motivation. Focus will be on to get a pass on 70-680 and try to get site designer done.

I feel your pain on the MS exam. Like I said before I had never gone back and changed answers like I did on that test. A lot of the stuff is just on the fence for which one is the BEST answer. I really hate that exam .

Just keep the faith and dont let it psych you out.

Th MSPress study guide is prob the best book(s) out there ater the Lab sim. just be prepared there are a lot of errors. Look for the errata your will need it.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138

I had similar issues with 70-290, but nailed it on the 3rd try. That was the first cert exam that I ever failed. The MS exams are difficult in you might see multiple correct answers, but you must pick the most correct according to MS.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
    earweed wrote: »

I just finished the 4th of 5 tasks for QLT1....

You could probably do a Geometric proof in 30 minutes or much much less (or anyone who can get A's by hanging out with that Spicolli dude [I gotta "rent" that movie...lmao...and by "rent"....oh nevermind...lol].

It took me a good part of the whole day....and mind you, I had 3-4 hours sleep. Wifey insisted I watch some Westminster Dog show and fall asleep. (Which I did...). Got up at 4am to check my cell phone to see if I got a TaskStream notification (gmail filters FTW!). I did, and got the blessed Revisions needed, with the typical "This is a good/great start....but...."

The proof was written correctly, that much I knew. But I didn't do a good job "defining" what the heck I said. All I could think of was WT(?) was I missing? Went back to the google and apparently, I had to write the reasons with "Geometric reasoning." I had to state whatever theorem or proof, but I was not required to describe it. That's what kind of confused me. I found it to be pretty easy, which is why I was kind of upset.

Now I have this task, and I have not brought myself to read it for fear that I will take more time from work to do it. I may just stay at the office after hours and start it. It is my hope I'll be done with QLT1 tonight. We'll see....then I only have to worry about QLC1. Then math is finally done.
    The 5th task took me all of 45-60mins. Just pick the prompt of comparing a season pass to a day pass. Look up the prices say for Six Flags over NJ. Make the equation and write the reasoning. Done and Done.
    The 5th task took me all of 45-60mins. Just pick the prompt of comparing a season pass to a day pass. Look up the prices say for Six Flags over NJ. Make the equation and write the reasoning. Done and Done.

FYI, we refer to "Six Flags" as "Great Adventure" here...."Six Flags" will get you marked as a out-of-towner. No one has ever called Great Adventure "Six Flags" or even "Six Flags: Great Adventure" unless they were quoting the commercial or something.

I get your point though. I almost can't believe it's almost over though....lmao. I thought it would take me personally much longer to do. I will get to it tonight sometime.
    QLT1 is finally finished. The magicone, I did, in fact, go with the theme park scenario. I believe that was the easiest one to deal with. I even called a course mentor to verify that the equations were good. I had no problem graphing it, talking about it, and even explaining the algebra, steps, etc, just like I did for Step 3.

I'll say this though, I didn't use Great Adventure....I decided to go the rat route. However, so my graph could be all nice-like (no decimals), I had to raise the rat's price a bit. I didn't use the name of course, but the grader has a very nice clue about what theme park it is and how I feel about it. (Though it was toned down heavily.....very much so [I didn't refer to him as a rat....] :D ).

When I officially get the pass, I will update this post and modify my win column. I went through the task thoroughly, so I'm expecting it. :D

Edit: 2/17/2011 3:30PM

Passed QLT1. The grader was rough though. It sucks doing an assignment like this with little sleep, but I am so glad that it's over and done with. Now I have to get on the horn with WGU as my mentor is going to be away for a while and I want to get QLC1 scheduled for February 27th. I want my first 18 CUs to be done in one month and so far, so good for that.
    Well I think I might be at the end of the pursuit for an IT Degree. I haven't made up my mind completely yet. The 70-680 drove some points home, IT work bores me. The thought of labbing the 680 just bores me, just the thought of it make me loose motivation. I don't think I really have any passion for IT work. I think I'll just switch degrees to the general IT and try to finish it, just to say I have a degree. But for working in the IT field, I don't think I'd enjoy it. Humm... just a little fuzzled.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well I think I might be at the end of the pursuit for an IT Degree. I haven't made up my mind completely yet. The 70-680 drove some points home, IT work bores me. The thought of labbing the 680 just bores me, just the thought of it make me loose motivation. I don't think I really have any passion for IT work. I think I'll just switch degrees to the general IT and try to finish it, just to say I have a degree. But for working in the IT field, I don't think I'd enjoy it. Humm... just a little fuzzled.

There is no shame in discovering this might not be your calling. College undergrads changing majors is proverbial in its high occurrence rate.

That said, the IT field is like the medical field. There are so many specialties and niches and places you can take it, I wouldn't give up on the entire field on the basis of one exam / area. My eye doctor probably doesn't care much about gastrointestinal disorders, for example. Kind of a silly example, but the point is that it's more than likely for all of us that there will be some facets of IT that we have no interest at all in. Quite a lot of us aren't too big into website design / html editing /etc.

Anyway, don't let the disappointment and disillusionment from a setback sour you on the entire field. Put the event into perspective and look at it with a fresh set of eyes and make the best decision for yourself. At the end of the day, only you can really make the call on what best fits your situation. Good luck.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How long does it usually take to hear back from an enrollment counselor? I've called and emailed several times, but it's hard to get a non-scripted reply. I keep getting the spammy type emails for how much college is so great, and how much I could earn, etc... I've already let them know by phone and email that I was ready to enroll and start, so I'm already sold. If this is how communication is, maybe I didn't make the right decision... Maybe it's a fluke. That's why I'm asking.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□

Don't let 1 exam from M$ get you down. It's a hump and you just need to get over it.

Maybe this will cheer you up...
    PC509 wrote: »
    ... I've already let them know by phone and email that I was ready to enroll and start, so I'm already sold. If this is how communication is, maybe I didn't make the right decision... Maybe it's a fluke. That's why I'm asking.

The enrollment department is infamous for its handling (or rather, mishandling) of new applicants. Call the 800 number again, and ask for a new enrollment counselor. If that doesn't work, pop back in and we'll give you the number for Student Services.
    --Will Rogers
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    The enrollment department is infamous for its handling (or rather, mishandling) of new applicants. Call the 800 number again, and ask for a new enrollment counselor. If that doesn't work, pop back in and we'll give you the number for Student Services.

Exactly. I am taking this on faith however as my enrollment guy is pretty bad, sounds kinda high when i'm talking to him. However once you get over this little roadblock it should be smooth sailing. Financial aid so far has been super prompt with me. March 1st start date! icon_cheers.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Exactly. I am taking this on faith however as my enrollment guy is pretty bad, sounds kinda high when i'm talking to him. However once you get over this little roadblock it should be smooth sailing. Financial aid so far has been super prompt with me. March 1st start date! icon_cheers.gif

I must have been lucky, I haven't had any problems with my enrollment counselor. Sure, I've done just about everything on my own initiative but I've never had a problem getting an appointment with him almost on the spot.

Had my intake interview last week and doing my last call with him tonight verifying everything is taken care of for my March 1st start date.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471

I wouldn't let the one test sway your decision. If you look at the Win7 forums people with tons of experience are failing this one (thanks braindumpers). I think all of us that have been in the field have found parts of the job we hate, but most will find their niche with time.
    WGU grad