Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well I think I might be at the end of the pursuit for an IT Degree. I haven't made up my mind completely yet. The 70-680 drove some points home, IT work bores me. The thought of labbing the 680 just bores me, just the thought of it make me loose motivation. I don't think I really have any passion for IT work. I think I'll just switch degrees to the general IT and try to finish it, just to say I have a degree. But for working in the IT field, I don't think I'd enjoy it. Humm... just a little fuzzled.

i feel the same way ive thought about going for the quick and easy basic it degree just to be done with it as well

how ever i know the microsoft stuff will help me in the end
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Passed QLT1. The grader was rough though. It sucks doing an assignment like this with little sleep, but I am so glad that it's over and done with. Now I have to get on the horn with WGU as my mentor is going to be away for a while and I want to get QLC1 scheduled for February 27th. I want my first 18 CUs to be done in one month and so far, so good for that.

I've been quiet for last few weeks studying but am glad to announce that I have 14 cu's since Feb 1. Finished ORC1 today, albeit with some issues. Seems as if the webassessor had a server issue and my test was delayed 45 minutes.

The courses I need to graduate are dwindling at a good rate. My mentor is impressed with my progress. Now on to the programming classes (GTT/GUT) and then the Windows 7 class. Sounds as if everyone here is doing great. Keep up the good work and we'll all be graduates sooner than later. icon_thumright.gif
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Well I think I might be at the end of the pursuit for an IT Degree. I haven't made up my mind completely yet. The 70-680 drove some points home, IT work bores me. The thought of labbing the 680 just bores me, just the thought of it make me loose motivation. I don't think I really have any passion for IT work. I think I'll just switch degrees to the general IT and try to finish it, just to say I have a degree. But for working in the IT field, I don't think I'd enjoy it. Humm... just a little fuzzled.

I agree. Dont let the MS degree get you down. Take a look at Cisco and see what you think. I also saw a new degree that looked really cool. Its Health Informatics it and has some Physiology classes to go along with it. Might be something to look into. With all the Baby Boomers getting old you should always be able to find some work if it intrests you.

I understand if you dont find it intresting but there is more to IT than just Microsoft. If thats all there was I would have been gone long ago.

Whatever you decide JUST FINISH A DEGREE. The only thing you will regret is giving up. Been there, done that, and I still have the t-shirts to prove it.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
    I was debating wether or not to post this but here goes.

I just got back my Tech Writing proposal. I got a 3.89 out of 4 on the first try. Yes the APA was one thing they dinged me on icon_sad.gif. That and a little grammer which is no shock.

So this is it. Only my Capstone left.

I wont be gone. Just have to wait a month to start my Masters Program.

I am doing a little happy dance around the house today. I CANT FREAKING BELIEVE IT.

• Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I was debating wether or not to post this but here goes.

I just got back my Tech Writing proposal. I got a 3.89 out of 4 on the first try. Yes the APA was one thing they dinged me on icon_sad.gif. That and a little grammer which is no shock.

So this is it. Only my Capstone left.

I wont be gone. Just have to wait a month to start my Masters Program.

I am doing a little happy dance around the house today. I CANT FREAKING BELIEVE IT.

Congratulations, man. icon_cheers.gif Good luck on the capstone, and great score on the tech writing.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ok, I have news about AKV1. Before I get to that, I just want to say that after QLT1, I am really going to need some sleep. I have a temporary new mentor as well, and this guy is on the ball. My current mentor is away on an emergency and won't be back for sometime...however his temporary replacement will not give me any crap about examforces, preassessments, etc. If I tell him I want a voucher, I get it. The only thing I had to work with him on was my time...he had no afternoon slots available for my chosen day...but rather than be a D'bag about it, I figured I'd work around his schedule. I'm pretty easy-going, in that regard. icon_cool.gif It's only for a few weeks anyway.

Anyway, I got QLC1 and INT1 on my plate. INT1 is a joke and I should be done with that between 1-2 weeks. QLC1 is scheduled for 2/27/2010...I am spending the long weekend brushing up on my geometry and whatever else I'm weak on. The odds are good I will bring home victory...and it is my last OLP assessment.... :D (I gotta figure out what to do with the webcam...I will NOT be trashing it, but it's not getting used either....want to do something artsy with it; something that highlights my journey in WGU and have it the centerpiece.....)

Now onto AKV1. If you have not taken AKV1, you have a choice (though your mentor will most likely try to steer you toward choice 2):

1) You can take the old exam now. However, the materials you get will be based on the new exam. Also, it's all online now. No more physical books.

2) Wait until after April 8th and take the new exam. The new exam will no longer be based on who invented Javascript (Netscape). You will now need to know how to code Javascript and it is much more practical. This means that the mcmcse.com study guide for this exam will be useless until they update the guide (which they probably will, but I can't wait for that).

I have decided to take the physical challenge, and take the new exam. I should be done with both INT1 and QLC1 in about a week or so, and while I'm not slaying any CUs, I will be spending my free time coding Javascript and working through whatever labs. Even if I'm not done by April, I'm ok, because I have until June to take this exam. Of course, it's in my interest to pass this exam as soon as possible, because I have to work on those "red classes"...and revive my experiences thread. icon_cool.gif

It is looking like I'll be done in three terms for sure. icon_cheers.gif
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Ok, I have news about AKV1. Before I get to that, I just want to say that after QLT1, I am really going to need some sleep. I have a temporary new mentor as well, and this guy is on the ball. My current mentor is away on an emergency and won't be back for sometime...however his temporary replacement will not give me any crap about examforces, preassessments, etc. If I tell him I want a voucher, I get it. The only thing I had to work with him on was my time...he had no afternoon slots available for my chosen day...but rather than be a D'bag about it, I figured I'd work around his schedule. I'm pretty easy-going, in that regard. icon_cool.gif It's only for a few weeks anyway.

Anyway, I got QLC1 and INT1 on my plate. INT1 is a joke and I should be done with that between 1-2 weeks. QLC1 is scheduled for 2/27/2010...I am spending the long weekend brushing up on my geometry and whatever else I'm weak on. The odds are good I will bring home victory...and it is my last OLP assessment.... :D (I gotta figure out what to do with the webcam...I will NOT be trashing it, but it's not getting used either....want to do something artsy with it; something that highlights my journey in WGU and have it the centerpiece.....)

Now onto AKV1. If you have not taken AKV1, you have a choice (though your mentor will most likely try to steer you toward choice 2):

1) You can take the old exam now. However, the materials you get will be based on the new exam. Also, it's all online now. No more physical books.

2) Wait until after April 8th and take the new exam. The new exam will no longer be based on who invented Javascript (Netscape). You will now need to know how to code Javascript and it is much more practical. This means that the mcmcse.com study guide for this exam will be useless until they update the guide (which they probably will, but I can't wait for that).

I have decided to take the physical challenge, and take the new exam. I should be done with both INT1 and QLC1 in about a week or so, and while I'm not slaying any CUs, I will be spending my free time coding Javascript and working through whatever labs. Even if I'm not done by April, I'm ok, because I have until June to take this exam. Of course, it's in my interest to pass this exam as soon as possible, because I have to work on those "red classes"...and revive my experiences thread. icon_cool.gif

It is looking like I'll be done in three terms for sure. icon_cheers.gif

thanks for the info my mentor gave me the same info but didnt tell me i could take the old exam ... seeing as i have no interest in coding of any kind ill take the old one
    thanks for the info my mentor gave me the same info but didnt tell me i could take the old exam ... seeing as i have no interest in coding of any kind ill take the old one

Javascript isn't that difficult, in all honesty, which is really why I don't mind it. I see Javascript all the time in PeopleSoft and have had to do a redirect from http to https in Javascript in my index.html files on my web servers. As long as I am familiar with the syntax, I should be ok.

If you are going to take the old one, be firm. They will let you, but you have to be really firm, as I believe the "line" is to make students take the new test UNLESS they are close to ending their term and need to take the old one before the term is up. As for me, as I don't have older materials, I don't mind taking the new one. I can also work on 70-642 as well and maybe get that done in March. We'll see how it goes though.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Javascript isn't that difficult, in all honesty, which is really why I don't mind it. I see Javascript all the time in PeopleSoft and have had to do a redirect from http to https in Javascript in my index.html files on my web servers. As long as I am familiar with the syntax, I should be ok.

If you are going to take the old one, be firm. They will let you, but you have to be really firm, as I believe the "line" is to make students take the new test UNLESS they are close to ending their term and need to take the old one before the term is up. As for me, as I don't have older materials, I don't mind taking the new one. I can also work on 70-642 as well and maybe get that done in March. We'll see how it goes though.
    The old test was easy IMO but I wasted (not actually wasted..lol) a lot of time learning to write code. I didn't know until near the end of my studies that the test barely covered coding (2 or 3 questions had lines with errors and you had to identify them..lol)
    For some reason, though, the old test still had a high failure rate.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Passed the CCENT today or BRV1. It wasn't bad. I made some bonehead mistakes and Cisco doesn't let you go back. Off to the 70-680 and I can hardly contain my excitement.
    WGU grad
    earweed wrote: »
    The old test was easy IMO but I wasted (not actually wasted..lol) a lot of time learning to write code. I didn't know until near the end of my studies that the test barely covered coding (2 or 3 questions had lines with errors and you had to identify them..lol)
    For some reason, though, the old test still had a high failure rate.

Totally agree with that assessment. I studied the code in the CIW online till my eyes crossed looking for the syntax errors only to find 2 questions on the test and they had obvious errors. Quickest test I've had so far (less than 15 minutes in and out of the testing center).
    Starting the GTT1 Java programming. Haven't written code since BASIC and PASCAL many, many moons ago. Seems straightforward so far but just started yesterday.
    My plan is to do both programming classes, then dive into the MS Windows 7 cert. Then I'll pursue the Project+ and CIW Database class. This is the goal for my second semester, Then have tech writing, capstone, and CCNA Security for my final semester.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    That was my goal. To only have CCNA/CCNA Security/Tech Writing/Capstone in my last term. But the Windows 7 exam kicked my butt (and have 3 back surgeries didn't help). So I'm hoping to finish with 39-40 CU this term and kick butt next (unless CCNA kicks me). I might switch to the database track or generic so not 100% sure. I'm currently finishing up the site designer cert, then java script and hopefully may be java before the end of the term. Still have to pass the Windows 7 680 but I'll have to force myself on that one.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    I just got the message on my computer that my TRIAL period for VMWare Workstation was up. Apparently we only get it for a year. I posted about it in the WGU Community asking if there was a way to extend the period. It probably stated the 1 year limit in the EULA but it's been a year.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Just got my Capstone back from Taskstream. I submitted it late last night and my eval was waiting for me when I got home.

I am shocked to say that I scored a perfect 4 out of 4 on it. That's my first and only 4 on a taskstream project. Capstone was 32 pages on setting up a secure wireless network. Not a ton to write about so I also performed a security audit and wrapped in everything from Cisco to Security + in hardening all the different systems. All the things I learned in Project+ really came in handy.

This project really put it all together for me. I started writing and it just kept coming. The light went on for me as I pulled something from almost every course I went through. Even the scripting courses came in handy when I thought of little script kiddies knocking on the firewall with port scans.

For those of you wondering how fast. I started 10/1/2010 and finished today 2/20/2011 Transferred in 18 CU's and completed 106 for a total of 124. I DO NOT RECCOMMEND anyone going this fast unless your ready to give up everything. I was studying everyday on a vacation to Florida, I was studying Christmas morning and New Years Eve I have been studying everyday anywhere from 8-16 hours a day. I took one or 2 days off but that’s about it.

I have been in the IT field for close to 15 years, started and stopped college a few times, and held a few certs that have since expired. For me it was doing the work and proving I have the knowledge to get the degree. Everyone is different and WGU lets you get there. You can sprint or take it like a marathon. I think a mix of the two is the best way to go.

Thank you to everyone here and the rest of the cert forums on Tech Exams. The recommendations on books and software were right on track. There is no way I would have been done without your help.

Sorry for the long post!!! I am still in writing mode from the Capstone.

My kids are really happy to have their Dad back and I even played Wii with them tonight for the first time since I started.
    icon_cheers.gif

• eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now I feel like a slacker with only 41 CUs (plus 6 transfered in) in the same amount of time. I still have TSV1 and ABV1 to finishe before April 1st to give me 53 CUs for the term.

Holy Cow....Congrates on graduating. What did you transfer in? That is some hard core study habits you have.
    Just got my Capstone back from Taskstream. I submitted it late last night and my eval was waiting for me when I got home.

For those of you wondering how fast. I started 10/1/2010 and finished today 2/20/2011 Transferred in 18 CU's and completed 106 for a total of 124. I DO NOT RECCOMMEND anyone going this fast unless your ready to give up everything.

I have been in the IT field for close to 15 years, started and stopped college a few times, and held a few certs that have since expired. For me it was doing the work and proving I have the knowledge to get the degree. Everyone is different and WGU lets you get there. You can sprint or take it like a marathon. I think a mix of the two is the best way to go.

Thank you to everyone here and the rest of the cert forums on Tech Exams. The recommendations on books and software were right on track. There is no way I would have been done without your help.

My kids are really happy to have their Dad back and I even played Wii with them tonight for the first time since I started.
    icon_cheers.gif

It's amazing how eeriely similar our backgrounds are, not to mention having a family with kids and yet you blew through this program. You did an entrie program in less than one term.

I commend you on finishing so quick. You did the sprint; I guess I'm shooting for the marathon in three terms (with my last term being paid out of my pocket.

To do a sprint though, I guess folks need to know how to run without burning out. I'm now, more than ever, determined to finish my degree in NDM. I will be starting AIV1 soon after I'm done with QLC1 and INT1 and I will also ask my mentor if I can at least start Tech Writing and Capstone without enrolling now and hopefully have it done by the third term (and of this year).

Congratulations my friend, and thank you for this. I'm really going to push now.
    Congrats. That, to me, is simply amazing. Good luck on the masters track, graduate.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Congrats. I get burned out around the 40-45 cu mark. Good job
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    finished today
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Transferred in 18 CU's and completed 106 for a total of 124.
    Impressive!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□

I am shocked to say that I scored a perfect 4 out of 4 on it. That's my first and only 4 on a taskstream project. Capstone was 32 pages on setting up a secure wireless network. Not a ton to write about so I also performed a security audit and wrapped in everything from Cisco to Security + in hardening all the different systems. All the things I learned in Project+ really came in handy.

This project really put it all together for me. I started writing and it just kept coming. The light went on for me as I pulled something from almost every course I went through. Even the scripting courses came in handy when I thought of little script kiddies knocking on the firewall with port scans.

For those of you wondering how fast. I started 10/1/2010 and finished today 2/20/2011 Transferred in 18 CU's and completed 106 for a total of 124. I DO NOT RECCOMMEND anyone going this fast unless your ready to give up everything. I was studying everyday on a vacation to Florida, I was studying Christmas morning and New Years Eve I have been studying everyday anywhere from 8-16 hours a day. I took one or 2 days off but that’s about it.

icon_cheers.gif

Good grief. That makes my 57 CU's in one semester seem like nothing. Congrats! Feels good to be done doesn't it?
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    Congrats on doing that in record time!
    Congrats. I get burned out around the 40-45 cu mark. Good job
    same here

congrats on the quick progress any other plans to do more or are you done?
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    For those of you wondering how fast. I started 10/1/2010 and finished today 2/20/2011 Transferred in 18 CU's and completed 106 for a total of 124.

You are crazy! icon_lol.gif Congrats!
    WGU grad
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    icon_cheers.gif

Congratulations, man! icon_cheers.gif I agree with you that a mix of the sprint and the marathon is the way to go. I knocked out 72 this term with working full time and still managing to find family time every day and time for working out 6 days a week. It's doable, but the free time definitely suffers. icon_wink.gif

Good luck on the Master's program and remember to play that Wii with them more often. You won't regret the time you spend doing so in the long run.
  • IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For those of you wondering how fast. I started 10/1/2010 and finished today 2/20/2011 Transferred in 18 CU's and completed 106 for a total of 124.
    icon_cheers.gif

HOLY COW! That is intense! My girlfriend just looked at me and said, "Don't even think about it!"

I feel really proud for finishing 17CUs this term. I need to up the ante! icon_study.gif
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    icon_cheers.gif

Just a quick question, do you work? If so do you have downtime at your job that allows you to add in extra study time? Just you saying you did 8-16 hours a day is mind boggling to me. I have yet to start but I think I may fry myself a tad at 3-4 hours a day icon_lol.gif.

On the other note, CONGRATS! It's pretty dang amazing what you've done and you're an inspiration to all of us who are either just starting or somewhere in the middle.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Just you saying you did 8-16 hours a day is mind boggling to me. I have yet to start but I think I may fry myself a tad at 3-4 hours a day icon_lol.gif.

I will let Roadie answer the other questions you asked (and hopefully he will with the understanding you did not read his last response on this subject in this thread when he was a bit peeved about those assumptions. :) )

I'm just going to address what's in the quote: You can and will do however many CUs after your initial 12 that you feel comfortable with. Your mentor will have you choose the first 12 CUs. It is in your best interest that you choose the first 12 CUs that you feel you can be done within the first month of your term. (In the case of my second term, I was done within one week with my first 12.... ;) ). Since I've been to 4 colleges prior to WGU, I wanted to pace myself with a good start, rather than trying to do everything in one term (which would have never happened...not without taking a good number of days off for the MS exams alone).

The best advice I could give you or anyone else starting WGU is to do the CUs in your program at a pace that you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable knocking out an entire program in one term, knock yourself out. But if you know that you want to have a nice pace and don't want to give up to much of a social life, then plan out in advance how many terms you can be comfortable finishing a degree. In my case, it's three terms. Though I can tell you that I'm on pace to knock out more than 28 CUs this term. If I pass my math test, I'll have 18 CUs done in one month. I'm pretty sure I will pass it, but I gave myself some time to do math drills before I take my preassessment. Then I can spend a week or so doing my science. After that I'll be back in MCITP:EA land (the real bottleneck of my degree).

In the end, it's all about what you're comfortable with. I remember seeing all those 40 CU+ guys in a month and felt a bit unnerved when I first started. In the end, it's not a race. You have to keep reminding yourself that.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In the end, it's all about what you're comfortable with. I remember seeing all those 40 CU+ guys in a month and felt a bit unnerved when I first started. In the end, it's not a race. You have to keep reminding yourself that.

You realize that you're also a hero to myself and one of my buddies on here who is also starting on the 1st. We've been watching your progress pretty closely (stalker mode engage) and feel inspired by it. I can't speak for him but I have 95 CU to knock out, I plan on trying to do it in 3 terms. I don't have a social life to begin with so not much to lose in that area icon_lol.gif.

To RoadwarriorsLive, I guess I didn't see your previous responses about working or not working. No intention of offense at all, you just have to be Superman to pull it off. icon_thumright.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    Hypntick wrote: »
    You realize that you're also a hero to myself and one of my buddies on here who is also starting on the 1st. We've been watching your progress pretty closely (stalker mode engage) and feel inspired by it. I can't speak for him but I have 95 CU to knock out, I plan on trying to do it in 3 terms. I don't have a social life to begin with so not much to lose in that area icon_lol.gif.

You (and your buddy) humble me, and I wish to remain so. I'm just a guy who does work more than full-time and is even doing work (on a holiday, which I will get back... :) ) as I type this. If I can do this, and I'm not a prodigy; so can you or anyone else. That's why I continue to write on my experiences...to show that it can be done. I still have somewhat of a social life, though nothing like it was 10-15 years ago. It's all about quality time with wifey at this point, and we'll watch some movies/TV.
    I'm amazed at all you guys pulling in those huge numbers at WGU. Makes me feel like a big slacker for only doing around 20 CUs aterm but I definitely like my time off and also a lot of family time. Don't forget to treasure those around you and don't put school ahead of them. You never know whatlife may throw at you and you may wish that you had some of that time back.