Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Now onto AKV1. If you have not taken AKV1, you have a choice (though your mentor will most likely try to steer you toward choice 2):

1) You can take the old exam now. However, the materials you get will be based on the new exam. Also, it's all online now. No more physical books.

2) Wait until after April 8th and take the new exam. The new exam will no longer be based on who invented Javascript (Netscape). You will now need to know how to code Javascript and it is much more practical. This means that the mcmcse.com study guide for this exam will be useless until they update the guide (which they probably will, but I can't wait for that).

Is there also a change to the CIW Foundations exam? Or was this solely just for the Javascript course? I was planning on studying the foundations material (the little bits that I actually need to study) on the mcmcse.com site since I'm starting next month and was going to knock out the Foundations course in my first 12 CU if that material is still current and correct.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is there also a change to the CIW Foundations exam? Or was this solely just for the Javascript course? I was planning on studying the foundations material (the little bits that I actually need to study) on the mcmcse.com site since I'm starting next month and was going to knock out the Foundations course in my first 12 CU if that material is still current and correct.

AFAIK, this is just for the Javascript course. I didn't hear anything about 1D0-510 getting an update, so any materials for the 1D0-510, like the guide on mcmcse.com, should still be good.

Your CompTIA certs should carry you through most of the material. The only thing you'll want to read from the CIW Foundations course is a little HTML and the copyright law stuff, plus the tiny bit of Project Management that gets mentioned. Most of that exam is just a comprehensive exam of EVERYTHING that is IT, so you should do fairly well without going through the entire course.
    AFAIK, this is just for the Javascript course. I didn't hear anything about 1D0-510 getting an update, so any materials for the 1D0-510, like the guide on mcmcse.com, should still be good.

Your CompTIA certs should carry you through most of the material. The only thing you'll want to read from the CIW Foundations course is a little HTML and the copyright law stuff, plus the tiny bit of Project Management that gets mentioned. Most of that exam is just a comprehensive exam of EVERYTHING that is IT, so you should do fairly well without going through the entire course.

Thanks for the follow-up. Yea I took the practice exam on the mcmcse.com site and ended up scoring around the 70% range not knowing anything regarding HTML so I'm sure brushing up on that I can get this course done within the first week if there wasn't an update. Thanks again!
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Is it possible to change tracks in the middle of a term?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sheckler wrote: »
    Is it possible to change tracks in the middle of a term?
    No, has to be at the beginning of the term.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • frankhenfrankhen Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The 70-680 Test is killing me. Failed for the 2nd time last Wednesday. I have never failed a test twice in my life. The test is designed to fail you. Both times now I have been asked questions that are way way out there. I've gone through lab sim 2-3 times, read a few books, passed every practice test I could find, etc. But I'm come out of testing center feeling like I know nothing, like an idiot. I understand that they made the test harder to give it credibility but come on. The test is designed to fail you. Now I need to pay for the next try. I get the feeling the only way to pass it is if you work with Windows 7 everyday and have experience in a corporate environment. Oh well... This term I'm screwed due to having 3 back surgeries, vacation and other life events. I was hoping to be done next term but that is out of the question now. Now that I know that I've lost all what was left of my motivation. Focus will be on to get a pass on 70-680 and try to get site designer done.

I hope you haven't paid for this exam yet. Google Microsoft Retake, they have a free retake offer going for a specified period, just re-use the voucher from your failed exam. If it goes through, then you are within the retake period.

Hope this helps, if you have no luck finding it, message me and I will look for the link I sent to my mentor to share.

Good luck, 680 took me 4 attempts.

Frank
    frankhen wrote: »

Frank
    It's taken a LOT of people multiple attempts.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I hope you haven't paid for this exam yet. Google Microsoft Retake, they have a free retake offer going for a specified period, just re-use the voucher from your failed exam. If it goes through, then you are within the retake period.

Hope this helps, if you have no luck finding it, message me and I will look for the link I sent to my mentor to share.

Frank

LOL Well I guess WGU Vouchers do work more than once... No I haven't paid for and I hadn't even thought about retaking it yet. But that was because I didn't want to pay for it, now that I find out that the voucher number worked for a 2nd time, I don't have to. Wonder if that works on all the WGU Mircosoft Voucher Numbers?
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    earweed wrote: »
    No, has to be at the beginning of the term.

Actually it can be done under extenuating circumstances. I had multiple issues with Prometric test centers and the MCSE exams. The exams would repetitively crash during the review phase on 4 exam attempts at 2 different test centers. Since it was documented I was able to get a mid term program change from NDM to NA. They even removed the not passed for 70-293 and 70-794 from the transcripts on appeal since Prometric never provided test scores.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All of this interest in WGU is making me think a lot about jumping the wagon with you guys. I work part time during odd graveyard shifts at a NOC or during the day supporting 20 helpdesk staff (I guess 28k/ year for this is fine for living up to only 50 due to stress) "Part" time is interpretive.

Anyways, I can't afford to drive to a campus 2-4 times a week for multiple hours. I just can't. But I have 40-50 hours at home per week of time I spend reading, on forums, labbing, etc. to keep my skills sharp. My question is; For a guy with my time, would I be able to progress far from my associates to a bachelors relatively quickly?

This entire "6 month finish" concept interests me. So does the paid for certs and retakes even.
    :twisted:
    darkerz wrote: »
    All of this interest in WGU is making me think a lot about jumping the wagon with you guys. I work part time during odd graveyard shifts at a NOC or during the day supporting 20 helpdesk staff (I guess 28k/ year for this is fine for living up to only 50 due to stress) "Part" time is interpretive.

Anyways, I can't afford to drive to a campus 2-4 times a week for multiple hours. I just can't. But I have 40-50 hours at home per week of time I spend reading, on forums, labbing, etc. to keep my skills sharp. My question is; For a guy with my time, would I be able to progress far from my associates to a bachelors relatively quickly?

This entire "6 month finish" concept interests me. So does the paid for certs and retakes even.

With that much time per week available I don't see anything that should hold you back on making solid progress in WGU. It would all just come down to dedication and the amount of time/work you want to put into it. But coming from already having an associates as well as some certs I imagine you should be able to get a nice chunk transferred in from the get-go.
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471

darkerz,
    Is your associates a AAS or an AA/AS? If it is an AA/AS half the degree will be done. If it is an AAS some of the classes are up for interpretation. It also depends on your emphasis. It will probably take longer going down the Microsoft or Cisco route versus perhaps the general route that has more CIW exams.
    WGU grad
    darkerz,
    Is your associates a AAS or an AA/AS? If it is an AA/AS half the degree will be done. If it is an AAS some of the classes are up for interpretation. It also depends on your emphasis. It will probably take longer going down the Microsoft or Cisco route versus perhaps the general route that has more CIW exams.

Network Services & Computing Systems Degrees & Certificates Requirements at Bellevue College

I have the Network Administration tract for this 91-94 credit degree. It's an AA.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    You would have to talk to an enrollment counsellor for sure, but I would guess your degree would knock out all the general courses. Your certs would cover a couple. You would probably end up doing the orientation class, the 3 business classes, your emphasis classes, and the tech writing/capstone. Only a guess of course, but I think you would be in good shape.

One other thing is that with the people doing large credits in short periods is probably not the norm. Not saying that you couldn't do it, just don't expect it. It depends on your life experience as well and how familiar you are with technologies in the emphasis you choose.

Oh well back to studying....I need to catch up with erpadmin!
    WGU grad
    I wish I could do that myself....lol
  • nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Hail, WGU-goers. I've done my research as well as read through this entire thread. I'm about to start the "application" process with the aim of doing the IT security track (since that has the most overlap with the certs I wanted to get). I'm wondering if anyone wants a $50 card from Amazon for referring me? :)

Also, since I'm going to end up starting on April 1st most likely, I have some time to study beforehand. Does the CIW database exam require any study if you already know SQL well enough to have coded a custom CMS, or should I look into that a bit more deeply? How about the A+ and Security+? Are the CompTIA tests hard, or should I be able to pass them after reading a book or two?
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Question guys: I am getting ready to take my first non-cert WGU exam (CLC1), and will be using the online proctoring camera. I have it hooked up to my laptop, and the laptop says the drivers installed correctly, but I was wondering if there was a way to test it to ensure that it is working? Thanks!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Thxlbx wrote: »
    Question guys: I am getting ready to take my first non-cert WGU exam (CLC1), and will be using the online proctoring camera. I have it hooked up to my laptop, and the laptop says the drivers installed correctly, but I was wondering if there was a way to test it to ensure that it is working? Thanks!

Oops. Put this in the wrong thread. Meant it for the question thread. Will repost it over there. Mods please delete if you need too. Thanks!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
    LOL Well I guess WGU Vouchers do work more than once... No I haven't paid for and I hadn't even thought about retaking it yet. But that was because I didn't want to pay for it, now that I find out that the voucher number worked for a 2nd time, I don't have to. Wonder if that works on all the WGU Mircosoft Voucher Numbers?

Actually, the fact that the voucher works more than once has nothing to do with WGU. This is something MS is doing for a limited time. If you do have to pay for it again, make sure to schedule it through WGU as it is half price...$60 instead of $120. I had already paid for my next exam take through WGU before I found out about the MS retake deal. Now I have a nice unused voucher...I wonder if it can only be used for a MS exam, does anyone know?

This is the only test I have every failed. I even passed the CCNA first try after a two week cram. They are very tricky, you have to know your stuff, and know what MS feels is the "quickest solution". Get your test scheduled as soon as it will let you, and jam through labsim on your weak spots everyday until then. Use that exam report you got after failing.

Good Luck
    nhpr wrote: »
    Hail, WGU-goers. I've done my research as well as read through this entire thread. I'm about to start the "application" process with the aim of doing the IT security track (since that has the most overlap with the certs I wanted to get). I'm wondering if anyone wants a $50 card from Amazon for referring me? :)

Also, since I'm going to end up starting on April 1st most likely, I have some time to study beforehand. Does the CIW database exam require any study if you already know SQL well enough to have coded a custom CMS, or should I look into that a bit more deeply? How about the A+ and Security+? Are the CompTIA tests hard, or should I be able to pass them after reading a book or two?

Shoot me an email, and I'll refer ya!

I am doing the BSIT-Sec, make sure you have your current certs on hand, as they will complete those courses before you enroll. The SQL experience may help you with the WDV1 class, it's pretty straight-forward. Small reference book. A+ was a breeze for me, there is a great deal of cool information in there, so it is worth going through the materials. Haven't tackled the Security+ yet, but I have heard it's not too bad. It involves general concepts of security, gotta memorize ports and such. CompTIA tests in general are not hard if you have a good IT background. Most of my CompTIA tests are completed within 10-15 minutes.

Good luck!
  • nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Shoot me an email, and I'll refer ya!

I just realized that this site doesn't have private messages. Here's my spam e-mail account: (mail received, so address removed)

And thanks for the additional info!

EDIT: Just got a call from them. Looks like you got the ball is rolling. Now you have to decide what to get from Amazon.
    EDIT: Just got a call from them. Looks like you got the ball is rolling. Now you have to decide what to get from Amazon.

Shouldn't be a problem, I have a wife and four kids.

You have to complete EWB before he can go buckwild on Amazon.... :)

Even then it's like a couple of months from the time you do though.

That's why I had no problem referring many folks until I got my $50 for the year....I can try again after Nov. :)
    earweed wrote: »
    I wish I could do that myself....lol

I'm not being funny or self-depracating, but I would bet a substantial amount of money both of you finish before I do/. EW especially.

It's I that's trying to catch up to both of you. Especially you, JMJ since we started at the same time.... :) If I'm not mistaken, I think you came in with more CUs than I did.

Well I after I'm done viewing some stuff, I too will get my math on.....
    I'm not being funny or self-depracating, but I would bet a substantial amount of money both of you finish before I do/. EW especially.

It's I that's trying to catch up to both of you. Especially you, JMJ since we started at the same time.... :) If I'm not mistaken, I think you came in with more CUs than I did.

Well I after I'm done viewing some stuff, I too will get my math on.....
    I was referring to how much you get done in a term. I transferred in my math, science, and history stuff and still taking almost 3 years.
  • westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In regards to those who posted about (failing) the Windows 7 exam.

I took it once with a little studying (no real world experience) to see how I'd do and was 5% below pass.

I then studied LabSim, and JUST LabSim.... perhaps 60+ hours of studying, and knew my stuff. I took it again and got 5% above pass.

The exam is POORLY written. Many questions (and answer choices) had grammatical errors and words missing from sentences both times I took it. This made discerning what they were asking nearly impossible.

When a test is so poorly designed and reviewed, it makes me wonder if the exam grading scripts/procedure isn't flawed as well.....
    westward wrote: »
    In regards to those who posted about (failing) the Windows 7 exam.

I took it once with a little studying (no real world experience) to see how I'd do and was 5% below pass.

I then studied LabSim, and JUST LabSim.... perhaps 60+ hours of studying, and knew my stuff. I took it again and got 5% above pass.

The exam is POORLY written. Many questions (and answer choices) had grammatical errors and words missing from sentences both times I took it. This made discerning what they were asking nearly impossible.

When a test is so poorly designed and reviewed, it makes me wonder if the exam grading scripts/procedure isn't flawed as well.....

I got a 900+ on it, but that's because I manage, deployed and configed 20,000+ clients for a series of CC's and Tech schools over the last 6 months.
    I got a 900+ on it, but that's because I manage, deployed and configed 20,000+ clients for a series of CC's and Tech schools over the last 6 months.
    Experience seems to be a factor in doing well on th W7 exam. That's a major reason why I haven't taken iy (yet). I have no real world experience with it outside of having it on my laptop and having labbed a little with it. I studied for the test on my own but never took it. I'd already taken the Vista exam for WGU so it wasn't required.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

You can get a degree in six months? Wow.
    Turgon wrote: »
    You can get a degree in six months? Wow.
    That is the extreme cases. Most people take longer.