Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Finished AHV1 on to AIV1...
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    You can get a degree in six months? Wow.

There are folks who go to regular (traditional) universities who finish in much less time than 4 years.

Of course these people have to trade off having a life to take 20+ credits a semester, plus summer and winter sessions.

So sure it's possible, but as others have mentioned, those are extreme and not the norm.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'm not being funny or self-depracating, but I would bet a substantial amount of money both of you finish before I do/. EW especially.

It's I that's trying to catch up to both of you. Especially you, JMJ since we started at the same time.... :) If I'm not mistaken, I think you came in with more CUs than I did.

Well I after I'm done viewing some stuff, I too will get my math on.....

It is definately not a race. I am pretty sure there is no way I can pull another 30 credits this semester since I have a ton of projects going on at work over the next several months. I just started reading the 70-680 material last night icon_tongue.gif
    WGU grad
  • never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    I started the GTT1 Java programming class a few days ago and I have reaffirmed my total dislike for programming. I did notice that the COS and the LR's were not running smoothly. The course mentor recommended the LR while the COS followed the Big Java book. Mentioned it to my mentor and he found the COS was not updated. Now things are jiving but still do not care for the programming side. This class is taking longer than I planned but I'll trudge forward to get these two classes behind me.icon_cry.gif
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    never2late wrote: »
    I started the GTT1 Java programming class a few days ago and I have reaffirmed my total dislike for programming. I did notice that the COS and the LR's were not running smoothly. The course mentor recommended the LR while the COS followed the Big Java book. Mentioned it to my mentor and he found the COS was not updated. Now things are jiving but still do not care for the programming side. This class is taking longer than I planned but I'll trudge forward to get these two classes behind me.icon_cry.gif

There is a new COS and Book. Ask for the updated COS and LR. The current book is Java For Everyone, which is a lot better I guess at teaching. You'll still need the Big Java book for GUT1. Just thought I'd share because I just had a conversation with my mentor about it.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    never2late wrote: »

Hey if you need any help, make a post. I took that class recently (taking second part on April 1st). I had no programming experience (except XHTML, PHP..)

I did not use the books really, just googled around.
  • never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    westward wrote: »
    Hey if you need any help, make a post. I took that class recently (taking second part on April 1st). I had no programming experience (except XHTML, PHP..)

I did not use the books really, just googled around.

I don't have that much confidence in my skills since I have little experience in coding, even javascript. Now I'm just going through the exercises recommended and they are tedious. I have googled a couple of instances where I was confused. Have not looked at the tasks yet in TaskStream.

Magicone, that is what I did. Read some of the post on the community forum and others had the same issues. My mentor wasn't aware of a COS update, which seems odd since he should have all the latest resources.

Thanks
    I now see why everyone hates deployment for the Win7 exam. I just read through the chapters the first time and my head is swimming.
    WGU grad
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I now see why everyone hates deployment for the Win7 exam. I just read through the chapters the first time and my head is swimming.
    Fix the book with this Book update/Page corrections: ?MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows 7? - Microsoft Press - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

I'm gonna go with this book TheSuperRuski used for 70-680 (though he used other resources):

Amazon.com: MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring eBook: Don Poulton: Books

Mostly because I can read it on the Kindle. :) But it seems to be a good alternative for the exam. At best, it's a good second resource. I will still get the MS-Press Book with the errata EW posted.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm gonna go with this book TheSuperRuski used for 70-680 (though he used other resources):

Amazon.com: MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring eBook: Don Poulton: Books

Mostly because I can read it on the Kindle. :) But it seems to be a good alternative for the exam. At best, it's a good second resource. I will still get the MS-Press Book with the errata EW posted.

nice book i wonder with that and labsim if i could pass

i like to avoid the ms books
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    nice book i wonder with that and labsim if i could pass

I'm sure it can be done. I won't know for sure until it's in front of me though; 70-680 won't be for a good number of months...
    I actually have that book erpadmin as well as the press book (with the errata). I just started getting into the Poulton book. It is not that the resource is bad it's that deployment is a mile wide and a mile deep.
    WGU grad
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm sure it can be done. I won't know for sure until it's in front of me though; 70-680 won't be for a good number of months...

same here im doing all my gen eds and other stuff first
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    I actually have that book erpadmin as well as the press book (with the errata). I just started getting into the Poulton book. It is not that the resource is bad it's that deployment is a mile wide and a mile deep.

W7 Deployment might be something you want to get more in-depth about on TechNet. I would only use those resources, like the books, to just give me a starting point, but would finish the job on TechNet as you will gain more in-depth, and practical knowledge (not to mention, be more comfortable on exam day...).
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    congrats on the quick progress any other plans to do more or are you done?
    Working on CCNA Voice now. But I really need to get some linux under my belt before I start my Masters. I know enough to be dangerous but it takes me forever to get anything done.

I am also working Wireshark but not sure if I will certify for it. Seems strange to certify on an application.
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Just a quick question, do you work? If so do you have downtime at your job that allows you to add in extra study time? Just you saying you did 8-16 hours a day is mind boggling to me. I have yet to start but I think I may fry myself a tad at 3-4 hours a day .

No 9-5 job, this was my full time gig while in school. I have had my own internet business for the past 10 years but things have been slow. It's the reason I got back into school. No offense taken about not working. I am sure I overreaccted about that back then. I chalk it up to the stress and writing a paper.

You would be surprised how fast 3-4 hours goes if you stick to that schedule. Most people spend that every night watching prime time TV. Just remember that the latest episode of CSI will not get you a job, promotion, or a raise.

Not directed at you personally just helped me when the new season started. I just got caught up with a few shows I missed. No commercials and no cliffhangers :).

I'm just going to address what's in the quote: You can and will do however many CUs after your initial 12 that you feel comfortable with. Your mentor will have you choose the first 12 CUs. It is in your best interest that you choose the first 12 CUs that you feel you can be done within the first month of your term.

I can't agree enough. I started with my 12 then just added 1 or 2 classes as I went along. I only added things I KNEW I could get done by the end of the term. I didnt plan to finish like this. I just got on a serious role with studying EVERY DAY, ALL DAY.

When I started I was thinking 2-3 terms. Even at the end I didnt think I would be done first term. I did not expect that all the experience would help me this much.

One other thing I forgot to mention. I attended a non-accredited University for about 2 years and took a bunch of classes. They were accredited, just not one anyone took. I had a bunch of stuff that would not transfer due to their accreditation.

Best advice is to go at your pace. Like many have said here it's not a race. WGU kicks butt just for that reason. If you know the stuff you dont have to sit and listen to an instructor go over it slowly so everyone can keep up. I don't know how many times I sat in classes thinking OK I get it lets move on. That plus the turn around time on assignments accelerates the process if you sit down and do the work.

It's not a degree in 6 months. For me it was 6 months of doing NOTHING but studying to get my degree. That PLUS a ton of prior knowledge and experience.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
    Finishing up study on CIW Site Designer. It's amazing how easy it is after studying (and failing) the 70-680. I just read the book, watched some videos and I'm scoring 85-90% on practice tests. The final only need like 70% so I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass. Need to finish that up, then Java Script followed by trying to pass the 70-680 once again. And if I get really motivated may be the Java class before the end of the term. Good luck to everyone else.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    Awww yeah! Just finished QLC1...man it was easier than I thought. I was so confident in passing the exam that I didn't even answer 4 questions that related to something or other. I focused heavily on the algebra and geometry. Functions were kinda easy.

In a way, I'm very glad that I did QLT1 first. It got my mind right and I'm more comfortable with Taskstreams than I am with the OLP exams (which I no longer have to do anymore...it's all Prometric from here on in...the webcam as of today is officially retired :D ).

This was a big deal for me, as math was and is my weakest subject. Earweed is probably right though...since I don't pride myself a math geek, I treat math as a bigger deal than it really is. The $20 I spent on the TI-86 on ebay was probably the best $20 I've ever spent. Now that the cobwebs are shaken off, I'll feel confident when I have to do math for the GMAT/GRE.

Now that this monkey is finally off my back, I can finish INT1 sometime in March...then it's certification time....be it MS or CIW (Javascript). :)

This is definitely a good day...definitely!
    You could probably knock out INT1 in a couple of days. It is a couple of powerpoints and an experiment. Be glad you transferred in INC1 that was a doozy.
    WGU grad
    Congrats. I 2nd the getting INT1 out in a few days. First part took me a couple of hours, the experiment a tad longer. Just do the paper towel thingy, some much information available on it and makes it easier.
    I'm involving sugar for my experiment....that one is just as easy. I need to decompress from this math business and then I will start on INT1.

If it weren't for the fact that I tried to avoid a science with a lab to do less work, I would have avoided both classes altogether. (Sigh...)

Same with math; because I got a C+ in that class and probability and stats were covered, I was spared QMC1...

INT1 is the last class I'm enrolled in, which will leave me with 50 CUs knocked out when I pass it between my first and second term and then I got 46 CUs left....joy. :)

Graduating at the end of the year certainly looks doable.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Awww yeah! Just finished QLC1...man it was easier than I thought. I was so confident in passing the exam that I didn't even answer 4 questions that related to something or other. I focused heavily on the algebra and geometry. Functions were kinda easy.

In a way, I'm very glad that I did QLT1 first. It got my mind right and I'm more comfortable with Taskstreams than I am with the OLP exams (which I no longer have to do anymore...it's all Prometric from here on in...the webcam as of today is officially retired :D ).

This was a big deal for me, as math was and is my weakest subject. Earweed is probably right though...since I don't pride myself a math geek, I treat math as a bigger deal than it really is. The $20 I spent on the TI-86 on ebay was probably the best $20 I've ever spent. Now that the cobwebs are shaken off, I'll feel confident when I have to do math for the GMAT/GRE.

Now that this monkey is finally off my back, I can finish INT1 sometime in March...then it's certification time....be it MS or CIW (Javascript). :)

This is definitely a good day...definitely!

Congrats, man. I'm a little jealous of your TI-86 find. I did everything with the default windows calculator and a 1 dollar pocket calculator. I'm too cheap to spend a lot of cash on a calculator when I can work it out manually or with a less complicated one.

As for the math, I was nervous about it too. I found it went pretty quickly, though--and there are a lot of resources out there to expound on anything that is unclear. The mathlab definitely had some weak areas, along with some mistakes that I caught and submitted, but google worked well for these.

I'm in a similar place to you, with regards to remaining course load. I didn't transfer anything in, so I have a bit more to go. Kind of anxious for the new term to start, the last few weeks have been relaxing, but also sort of depressing because I'm not making much tangible progress. Been labbing 70-680 (deployment, mostly), and reading the Poulton and MS-Press books, so I plan on making that my first class next term. MCTS or bust, I guess.
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Congrats, man. I'm a little jealous of your TI-86 find. I did everything with the default windows calculator and a 1 dollar pocket calculator. I'm too cheap to spend a lot of cash on a calculator when I can work it out manually or with a less complicated one.

I had a TI-81 and a TI-83 in HS and college (the first attempt)...so I was very familiar with the TI's uses, especially when it came to stuff that you can't do with the 1 dollar calculator (like solving for quadratic equations...). eBay is really good for getting stuff like that if you know how to utilize eBay well....I just couldn't justify buying a brand new one for $100 or whatever.
    As for the math, I was nervous about it too. I found it went pretty quickly, though--and there are a lot of resources out there to expound on anything that is unclear. The mathlab definitely had some weak areas, along with some mistakes that I caught and submitted, but google worked well for these.

I'm in a similar place to you, with regards to remaining course load. I didn't transfer anything in, so I have a bit more to go. Kind of anxious for the new term to start, the last few weeks have been relaxing, but also sort of depressing because I'm not making much tangible progress. Been labbing 70-680 (deployment, mostly), and reading the Poulton and MS-Press books, so I plan on making that my first class next term. MCTS or bust, I guess.

purplemath.com is an excellent resource outside of WGU for most of my math issues. The person who runs that site explained to me in English stuff I needed help with.

I'm sure you'll do fine with the 70-680. Remember to utilize TechNet...there (should be) a lot of information on deployment, plus whatever else. The good news will be after I'm done with INT1, I can resurrect my MCITP:EA thread. My goal is to pass each of the MS exams one time. It might be terribly ambitious, but I'm shooting for it. I am prepared for failure though, but I'm shooting for passing on the first attempt. As you are too cheap for $20, I'm equally as frugal with my time (though I suppose there is an expense there as well...I have to travel to another state for mine...lol.) :-p
    As you are too cheap for $20, I'm equally as frugal with my time (though I suppose there is an expense there as well...I have to travel to another state for mine...lol.) :-p

Nah, if I could have found one for 20 bucks, I'd have bought it. I'm getting more and more familiar with ebay as I have routers and switches sniped from me at the last second. It's kind of fun, actually.

As for frugality with your time, I'm the same way. This next term I have 55 CU's to go, and I plan on graduating. Might not happen, but it won't be for lack of trying or lack of time management, I can guarantee you that. :)
    Nah, if I could have found one for 20 bucks, I'd have bought it. I'm getting more and more familiar with ebay as I have routers and switches sniped from me at the last second. It's kind of fun, actually.

As for frugality with your time, I'm the same way. This next term I have 55 CU's to go, and I plan on graduating. Might not happen, but it won't be for lack of trying or lack of time management, I can guarantee you that. :)

Part of the reason I was lucky, I think, is because there were a lot of TI-86s at the time that had the .99 and no reserve. I remember now that this particular item was not my first attempt at securing it. What also helped me was the fact that I won this on New Years Day...when most folks were getting over hangovers. But there were a number of 86s that were going for 20-30 bucks. I just knew I wanted one and had no interest in dropping $100 for it, so I'm with you on that.

I do question whether I should change to another major or finish out with the degree I started. I don't see any evidence (anecdotally or otherwise) that I'd finish in one term by jumping ship. The Java classes seem to be quite involved. However, I'm ok with the three term plan. In the end, the best person who knows me is me. I don't want to take on too much and burn out. So far I'm a bit tired, but that's because I allowed myself to get consumed with the math. Now that I know how the game is played, as far as WGU is concerned, I'm confident I'll do much more than 28 CUs. :)

This is gonna be a good term.... :)
    Part of the reason I was lucky, I think, is because there were a lot of TI-86s at the time that had the .99 and no reserve. I remember now that this particular item was not my first attempt at securing it. What also helped me was the fact that I won this on New Years Day...when most folks were getting over hangovers. But there were a number of 86s that were going for 20-30 bucks. I just knew I wanted one and had no interest in dropping $100 for it, so I'm with you on that.

I do question whether I should change to another major or finish out with the degree I started. I don't see any evidence (anecdotally or otherwise) that I'd finish in one term by jumping ship. The Java classes seem to be quite involved. However, I'm ok with the three term plan. In the end, the best person who knows me is me. I don't want to take on too much and burn out. So far I'm a bit tired, but that's because I allowed myself to get consumed with the math. Now that I know how the game is played, as far as WGU is concerned, I'm confident I'll do much more than 28 CUs. :)

This is gonna be a good term.... :)

If I'd have wanted to finish faster, I would have stuck with NDM. I now have 2 more classes and 3 more CU's to do than I would have otherwise. Change your degree emphasis only if you find yourself wanting to focus on something you currently are not. To do otherwise would be short sighted, to put it mildly.

As for me, I took the longer path, but the one that will result in something that I ultimately enjoy more--cisco. The more information that I took in during that first term, the more I realized that I chose the NDM degree because of the self-perceived boost the MS certs would give my resume, not based on what I enjoy doing. I made a course correction based on that poor decision, not on any desire to finish faster.

I fully expect to come back and grab the EA later, but not at this point. In fact, I plan on using the free voucher that MS just gave away to knock out one of the required exams for that sometime in April. It will slow me down somewhat, but will be good info for what I'm already doing in Server 2008 with labs.

In any case, best of luck with your term.
    Passed Site Designer today. Got 78%. Test was really easy. Now to get javascript done followed by the dang 70-680. I got 3 more chances, all free!!!. 1 from dreamspark, and 2 from second shot. I'd have 1 more but after 5 fails you can't take it for a year.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm deciding between the BS in Network Admin versus Network Design. Whats the general consensus? I'm already pursuing my MCITP:EA and have a knack for more design, problem solving and implementation roles rather then administration (the two interlink definitely, but I always wanted something more)

The more I look over this the better it sounds to me. I haven't been excited about going to school for years.

Even have my thoughts on the masters program afterwards. My parents would be proud.. I'd be the first Masters' in the family :)
    :twisted:
    darkerz wrote: »
    I'm deciding between the BS in Network Admin versus Network Design. Whats the general consensus? I'm already pursuing my MCITP:EA and have a knack for more design, problem solving and implementation roles rather then administration (the two interlink definitely, but I always wanted something more)

The more I look over this the better it sounds to me. I haven't been excited about going to school for years.

Even have my thoughts on the masters program afterwards. My parents would be proud.. I'd be the first Masters' in the family :)

"General consensus" seems to be Network Administration or Security. However, since you're already pursuing the EA, I believe you've already made up your mind.

If my following anecdote helps you out some, there were two things I wanted in my career that I was, for lack of better phrase, too lazy to achieve: a Bachelors and an MCSE. The MCITP:EA is the MCSE replacement and through my WGU studies, I'm getting both. I already have my attack lined up for the EA when I'm done with the one class I have to knock out (the Science class I'm currently working on...the INT1). Hope to get my SA as well and then the DBA:2008 cert before I touch my Masters.
  • Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Received my official email today stating EWB2 is complete. Just need to wait for my mentor to call me tomorrow morning to go through AAV and get started on these courses!
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1