Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    sheckler wrote: »
    UPS just dropped off the Project+ book... and it's tiny. I like that.

dont under estimate project+ and use the sybex book on books 24/7
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I have little interest in programming, so I switch to the Network Admin Emphasis. I don't know why I didn't just sign up for that in the first place!
    You know what, I said the same thing, but a lot of what I want to do later in my career deals with programming (Java, Python, Perl, etc....) I'm at a crossroad and I have to make a final decision about my degree plan by Thursdsay (stay in Security or move to Network Admin)
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Amazon.com: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 (9780470585924): Kim Heldman, William Heldman: Books

That is what I got for Project+. The thing WGU sends you is a joke, not sure why they even bother.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm going through the updated version of the Course of Study for JavaScript. Honestly, reading through the CIW materials, it's not that bad....if I finish going through this before 4/11 or what have you, I might actually be ok for the 1D0-635.

It's not that bad, guys, as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jahsoul wrote: »
    You know what, I said the same thing, but a lot of what I want to do later in my career deals with programming (Java, Python, Perl, etc....) I'm at a crossroad and I have to make a final decision about my degree plan by Thursdsay (stay in Security or move to Network Admin)

I prefer to do Microsoft certs vs performance assessments. Also, my employer wanted me to get MCTIP so it works out well for me.
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Amazon.com: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003 (9780470585924): Kim Heldman, William Heldman: Books

That is what I got for Project+. The thing WGU sends you is a joke, not sure why they even bother.

Does anyone happen to have a used copy of this they'd like to sell? I much prefer having a book in-hand than reading on a computer screen and the Kindle iphone app doesn't have TTS. icon_sad.gif
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Why?

You could just very well do that that on your own. I am sure your mentor will tell you the same thing. For your course list, you seem to have plenty on your plate as it is...

I've been toying with this idea and you are right. It would be nice to get a voucher for it from WGU since I am paying tuition anyway but I think I will just wait until after graduation to work on CCNA.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to have a used copy of this they'd like to sell? I much prefer having a book in-hand than reading on a computer screen and the Kindle iphone app doesn't have TTS. icon_sad.gif

Amazon.com: Used and New: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003

http://www.davescampus.com/ (Use ISBN 0470585927)

(That site helped me find my LET1 book, which I now have to sell on ebay since WGU made it an ebook.... icon_sad.gif )
  • Options
    Me personally I can't stand E-Books. I need that feeling that I got somewhere, the feeling of pages and I can see that I've read a 1/8" of the book. I'm partially ADD and need something to keep me into the book.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    Amazon.com: Used and New: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-003

College Books - Buy College Textbooks Online - Compare Textbook Prices (Use ISBN 0470585927)

(That site helped me find my LET1 book, which I now have to sell on ebay since WGU made it an ebook.... icon_sad.gif )

Thanks, found it for little over $20 after shipping. Unfortunately, LET1 is STILL not available online by WGU even though it's been pushed back already and was supposed to be there yesterday.

Have WFV1 scheduled Friday and LET1 is all I have on AAP for at the moment. Guess I'll just add another class and work on LET1 when it's available.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Unfortunately, LET1 is STILL not available online by WGU even though it's been pushed back already and was supposed to be there yesterday.

I seem to remember there's an older edition of the LET1 textbook available on Kindle for a decent price.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Thanks, found it for little over $20 after shipping. Unfortunately, LET1 is STILL not available online by WGU even though it's been pushed back already and was supposed to be there yesterday.

Have WFV1 scheduled Friday and LET1 is all I have on AAP for at the moment. Guess I'll just add another class and work on LET1 when it's available.

If you PM me, I will rush over the LET1 book to you (well, after payment of course...lol.) The book is in very decent condition and has not been highlighted (by me or anyone else).

You also get to use it for ORC1 as well, which I would definitely schedule immediately after you pass LET1. (and MGC1 either same day or next...you don't need the book for that....)

Let me know.

Edit: To any one else who might need the LET1 book, and doesn't want to wait for the eBook, I will sell my book for $23 flat. (including shipping, as long as it's in the "Lower 48 states.") I will probably eat at most a couple of bucks for shipping, but I think that's reasonable. Right now, Pishof has priority, but if he decides to wait for the ebook, I will go to the next person who PMs me. So if you do want the book, PM me so you're in the queue. :)
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    If you PM me, I will rush over the LET1 book to you (well, after payment of course...lol.) The book is in very decent condition and has not been highlighted (by me or anyone else).

You also get to use it for ORC1 as well, which I would definitely schedule immediately after you pass LET1. (and MGC1 either same day or next...you don't need the book for that....)

Let me know.

Edit: To any one else who might need the LET1 book, and doesn't want to wait for the eBook, I will sell my book for $23 flat. (including shipping, as long as it's in the "Lower 48 states.") I will probably eat at most a couple of bucks for shipping, but I think that's reasonable. Right now, Pishof has priority, but if he decides to wait for the ebook, I will go to the next person who PMs me. So if you do want the book, PM me so you're in the queue. :)

So you would recommend doing the tasks for LET1 before ORC1? I was actually thinking of doing those in the opposite order after Project+. So ORC1, LET1, then MGC1. Just seemed to make sense since the ORC1 was listed as foundations so I thought the info from ORC1 would assist with the tasks.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201

You don't think a book is necessary for MGC1? I found it cheap but haven't ordered yet.
  • Options
    JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't think a book is necessary for MGC1? I found it cheap but haven't ordered yet.

If you have had any time working around middle management types or MBAs then you should try the pre-assessment before ordering the book. It should be renamed to PHB1.
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed CIW Database today. Only took a week! The quickest to get through, the hardest test to pass from CIW for me. I was getting 90%+ on VCampus but the dang finale was written all cryptic and weird. Way different than any other CIW Cert, at least for me it was. Now on to Project+. I'm half way though the book so I should be done with that by end of the week and then another week to take a few practice tests and polish up weak areas. A 48 CU term? I think so!
    Grats! What did you use to study for this?
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options

Let me know.

I'll take it. Sending a PM now.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□

I don't think it is necessary. I used mindedge and that was about it for that course.
  • Options

After looking at Mindedge for a couple of minutes, I found the course to be a joke. Plus, me being a lover of all things Dilbert (the entire strip...), yeah I tend to agree MGC1 was pretty much PHB1...lol.
  • Options
    MGC/ORC - took the pre assessments, passed, scheduled the finals back to back, passed both. Didn't study a thing.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    earweed wrote: »
    For all those out there the referral lady at WGU (thankfully) doesn't keep very good records. I just got my second Amazon card this year. Same day my chainsaw chain broke so it came in handy. Trying to decide what book to buy with the rest of it.

I'd love to have this problem (well, not a broken chainsaw anyway).

Have referred gobs of people this year, and have yet to see a card. Do they go by calendar year, or? Normally, I wouldn't care, but I could really use that card-- would like to snag some videos for my kids with it.

(Of course, maybe everyone has bailed. Are they all signing up with ITT or something?)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    flash23flash23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lol I was gonna say that maybe they just haven't signed up yet I just put it through so u got one for sure
  • Options

Pishof is now the proud owner of my LET1 book. Will be sending it out via USPS first thing in the morning before I go to work.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    They sent out emails to March enrollees with revised transfer evaluations assuming you qualify. They transfered in QLT and HHT1 one me this week.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    drew726 wrote: »
    They sent out emails to March enrollees with revised transfer evaluations assuming you qualify. They transfered in QLT and HHT1 one me this week.

They transferred in BRV1(CCENT) and ABV1(70-780) for me however I now need to take BOV1(CIW Javascript).
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    ive got my INC1 test set for the 18th

any one done that test recently?

i just want to know what its like
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471

A nightmare! :) It isn't too bad just a mile wide and a mile deep. Other than my Microsoft tests I had the study for this class the most since there is so much information. I ended up not doing the readings and used the videos WGU provided.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    A nightmare! :) It isn't too bad just a mile wide and a mile deep. Other than my Microsoft tests I had the study for this class the most since there is so much information. I ended up not doing the readings and used the videos WGU provided.

videos... i like videos ... where can i find said videos
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    videos... i like videos ... where can i find said videos

They should be in the learning community.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453

I went in with no studying at all (even failed the pre assessment) and passed with a 64. Hey, a pass is a pass...lmbo!
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study: