Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    please let me know how the 435 is im taking it on the 11th .. i havent had much time to prep cause on may 31 ya have to take the 635 not the 435

Will do. I'll be posting my results and impressions later on Saturday evening after I take the exam and finish my other plans.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Will do. I'll be posting my results and impressions later on Saturday evening after I take the exam and finish my other plans.

I'll be likewise posting my impressions of the new 635 exam tomorrow for anyone who will be stuck taking it after May. I'll be the first to take the new exam here I believe.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    SheckyShecky Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I thought they would give you a hard time for taking the "older" 435 exam. At least, that's what I've been told..
  • Options
    Shecky wrote: »
    I thought they would give you a hard time for taking the "older" 435 exam. At least, that's what I've been told..

They don't have all of the materials anymore for the older exam and I did receive a call from the course mentor that recommended studying the newer one since it will obviously be more up-to-date and overall relevant, but at the end of the day it's still your decision so they won't stop you or give you a hard time (at least in my case) other than the recommendation.

Edit: Should probably just note this in here as well, I imagine the closer we get to the expiration of the old exam the more they would advise against it and potentially reach that point where they think you can't complete it in time and may fight you about it.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i have no interest in learning JavaScript

so the 435 seams to be an easier one so i plan to cram that one
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    i have no interest in learning JavaScript

so the 435 seams to be an easier one so i plan to cram that one

It is definitely crammable; Took me a good 2-3 weeks to get that done.

If you used all the stuff I mentioned, that timeframe is doable. Though I will note that I didn't care for passing via the skin of my teeth...however I did care that I passed at all.

I will say though that I will never use the testing center I had again....one thing I didn't mention was it was the first time I went there...they were in a storefront where the testing room was at the front window...another thing was that it was the loudest testing center I ever attended...I had to get up from my test to tell the "proctor" that it's too loud from all the people...he tries to give me cheap headsets as opposed to noice blocker ones.

In spite of all of that, I passed...but I'll be going "back home" to the Promteric Center in NYC at Penn Plaza.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Makes me grateful for lab four here, right lemonade? That place is pretty solid, their workstations are fairly old but it's always quiet and the staff is pretty nice.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Makes me grateful for lab four here, right lemonade? That place is pretty solid, their workstations are fairly old but it's always quiet and the staff is pretty nice.

Agreed. The only time I had an issue out of the 5 or 6 times I've been there now is when Prometric was having problems.
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    SocalkolSocalkol Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey All,

Been trolling this threat and debating about WGU for months now. Talked to ERP quite some time ago and was convinced it was for me.

Anyways long story short I waited until now to start due to finishing my A.A. in order to not lose so many credits transferring. Will be starting June 1st most likely on the BS:IT Security track. Looking forward to it and also looking forward to being more involved in this thread and forums! See you around all!
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Does anyone find it strange that WGU can not look at their tests? I assume Kryterion must write them?
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Socalkol wrote: »
    Hey All,

Been trolling this threat and debating about WGU for months now. Talked to ERP quite some time ago and was convinced it was for me.

Anyways long story short I waited until now to start due to finishing my A.A. in order to not lose so many credits transferring. Will be starting June 1st most likely on the BS:IT Security track. Looking forward to it and also looking forward to being more involved in this thread and forums! See you around all!

Good decision waiting until you finished with an A.A degree. Looks like you're much more likely to get RM credit from your previous education with a degree instead of just transfer credits.

If you don't have your Security+ yet let me know if you're interested in a used copy of Darril Gibson's book for the exam. It's all you need to ace the test and I've no further use of mine so I'll sell it cheap.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Just got back from the testing center after taking the new javascript test.

BOV1 - Javascript 1D0-635 passed with 95%.

I really overestimated this exam and now believe the class advisor when he said it's on par with the 435 exam.

The actual exam was identical is format compared to the wgu online practice tests. You really couldn't get any closer to the real exam. I was surprised when I ran into a few questions that were almost copied verbatim from the practice tests.

I would say now that the online material is all available it'd be just as easy to take the new test and you have no need for external resources when the practice tests are near identical to the real exam in format.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »

I really overestimated this exam and now believe the class advisor when he said it's on par with the 435 exam.

The actual exam was identical is format compared to the wgu online practice tests. You really couldn't get any closer to the real exam. I was surprised when I ran into a few questions that were almost copied verbatim from the practice tests.

I would say now that the online material is all available it'd be just as easy to take the new test and you have no need or external resources when the practice tests are near identical to the real exam in format.

Congratulations!

I suppose you may be right about the 635 not being too bad then if the resources match it that closely and cover the material well. Hopefully I'll see similar results with the 435 tomorrow morning :D
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Does anyone find it strange that WGU can not look at their tests? I assume Kryterion must write them?

It is one of the requirements WGU must meet to maintain accreditation. WGU can provide the material to be tested, but can't write the questions. It probably has something to do with making sure mentors don't provide students with test questions. The University has plausible denialability.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options

I would say now that the online material is all available it'd be just as easy to take the new test and you have no need or external resources when the practice tests are near identical to the real exam in format.

Thanks for TOFFT! :D

Congratulations man. I never saw practice exams for the 635...I'm guessing they have their ---- together now with getting folks what they need to pass the 635.

Did you go through ALL of those PDFs for the 635 though?
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    It is one of the requirements WGU must meet to maintain accreditation. WGU can provide the material to be tested, but can't write the questions. It probably has something to do with making sure mentors don't provide students with test questions. The University has plausible denialability.

It makes sense uhtrinity. I just wonder from a student perspective how you can challenge possible incorrect test questions.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Thanks for TOFFT! :D

Congratulations man. I never saw practice exams for the 635...I'm guessing they have their ---- together now with getting folks what they need to pass the 635.

Did you go through ALL of those PDFs for the 635 though?

Thanks! I could have spent half the time studying if they had their ---- together in the beginning.

When I first started only the online pdfs were available. No practice tests or review tests were up. Later they added about half the tests and just in the last couple weeks they put the rest up.

I did read all the PDF but it's only 13 chapters and you can read almost the entire book in a few hours the first time. I read through it again to focus on more difficult chapters (objects, prototype, form elements) but entire time spend reading the pdf was probably 5-6 hours.

I didn't even bother coding the labs, I just read the explanation and followed the code.

After that I just drilled the online review test once for each chapter and then took the domain review tests for the 4 domains. Next I took the practice assessment test for the 4 domains and then I did the final certification practice test a few times.

At that point anyone should be fine for the real deal if they are scoring 90%+ on the practice tests. Like I said, the questions are very similar and identical format.

P.S I didn't cram for the exam. I followed a loose study schedule reviewing javascript for maybe an hour or so each weekday for a couple weeks.

In my opinion, It's not something you want to cram without prior knowledge because the real test will have you looking at a lot of syntax that isn't difficult but you need to know where (), [], {} goes and shouldn't go. I wouldn't trust myself cramming because your brain needs time to be wired to naturally know if something just doesn't look right.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    i tend to learn better if i focus on one subject intensely

some may call it cramming i call it learning quickly
  • Options
    i tend to learn better if i focus on one subject intensely

some may call ti cramming i call it learning quickly

I know where you're coming from. Arguably, you could consider most of us crammers learning material and taking these tests after only studying two or three weeks.

I would say that I crammed for Security+ and Javascript completing them in a few weeks compared to typically college classes where you spend a semester doing light subject work and taking the test after several months.

I'm just suggesting against cramming a scripting/programming language the night before trying to memorize all the syntax/methods/properties and when a [] is required vs () for form elements.

When a half page of code for each multiple choice answer is staring at me in the face I feel more likely to be able to intuitively point out the differences and mistakes without having to recall last night's study session to remember where a .innerHTML is missing or a div ID needs to be called instead of a tagname.

That being said I do intend to cram the rest of the tests until MCITP exams.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    I know where you're coming from. Arguably, you could consider most of us crammers learning material and taking these tests after only studying two or three weeks.

I would say that I crammed for Security+ and Javascript completing them in a few weeks compared to typically college classes where you spend a semester doing light subject work and taking the test after several months.

I'm just suggesting against cramming a scripting/programming language the night before trying to memorize all the syntax/methods/properties and when a [] is required vs () for form elements.

When a half page of code for each multiple choice answer is staring at me in the face I feel more likely to be able to intuitively point out the differences and mistakes without having to recall last night's study session to remember where a .innerHTML is missing or a div ID needs to be called instead of a tagname.

That being said I do intend to cram the rest of the tests until MCITP exams.

i dont plan to cram the ms exams, but i know i wont be using javascript any time in the near or far future so i may as well just get it done

i didnt cram the comptias because i know they offer a good foundation, i could've but i chose not to.

ciw ill cram
  • Options
    Wow, I like this discussion... :)

Exams and "cert" I didn't study for (and passed):

WFV1, CLC1, ORC1, MGC1, BBC1,

Certs/Exams I did/am study(ing) for (past, current and future):

TSV1, QLC1, AIV1, AHV1 and the rest of the MCITP:EA exams

Certs I crammed:

TPV1, AKV1

My past certs (A+ and Network+) I did use Mike Meyers All In One guide and Transcenders. I can tell you I spent more time studying for the A+/Network+ combo than I did on a good portion of the certs/exams I took thus far.

I would cram for the MS exams, but I want to be comfortable with the "Microsoft way"... let's see how that goes.
  • Options
    oddly i enjoyed project+

but i think most of us here cram/learn quickly the CIW classes

i almost picked the basic degree because i could get them done quickly, however they wont help me get a job like the cisco or microsoft certs will.

abilities in the chosen area (microsoft or cisco) will be more valuable than a basic understanding of javascript (wont even make it to most of our resumes i know it wont be on mine)
  • Options
    oddly i enjoyed project+

but i think most of us here cram/learn quickly the CIW classes

i almost picked the basic degree because i could get them done quickly, however they wont help me get a job like the cisco or microsoft certs will.

abilities in the chosen area (microsoft or cisco) will be more valuable than a basic understanding of javascript (wont even make it to most of our resumes i know it wont be on mine)

Believe it or not, I do have my CIWs (both of them) on my LinkedIn page.

I had a discussion about Javascript with my colleague. I have a better understanding of what's going on with the web pages on my web servers now. I'm nowhere near an expert in web programming, but that's why we hired him for (lol). I do have a better basic understanding of Javascript and that's how I state it on my resume (familiar...)
  • Options
    after microsoft ill be taking some sec certs that will go after microsoft on my resume
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Wow, I like this discussion... :)

Exams and "cert" I didn't study for (and passed):

WFV1, CLC1, ORC1, MGC1, BBC1,

Certs/Exams I did/am study(ing) for (past, current and future):

TSV1, QLC1, AIV1, AHV1 and the rest of the MCITP:EA exams

Certs I crammed:

TPV1, AKV1

I find this discussion intriguing as well.

I studied wherever possible, even if only for a matter of a few days or weeks, partly to be sure I was getting the material down but also partly as a matter of CYA. I wanted to be able to "defend" the credits I'd earned if necessary.

JavaScript took me a surprisingly long time, probably six weeks spread out over two time periods. But then, I was working through an old Javascript/VBScript text, running examples and giving myself new "assignments" to follow through on. Not to mention changing HTML editors and having to learn some extra HTML along with everything else. . .
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm about to finish my AA degree, I'm curious about one more thing.

After I am enrolled. Can I still take certification exams after enrolling and then have corresponding credits waived if I complete the cert- again, after I am enrolled and starting classes?

Thanks!
    :twisted:
  • Options
    darkerz wrote: »

After I am enrolled. Can I still take certification exams after enrolling and then have corresponding credits waived if I complete the cert- again, after I am enrolled and starting classes?

Thanks!

I believe once you start there is no more waiving classes or transferring credits. Note I am not 100% positive.

The way to do it though, if you wanted to finish sooner, is to prepare for the exams ahead of time and just ask your mentor to assign you to those classes off the bat and take a couple cert exams in the same day.

That way they both count for credit and you save time.
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    darkerz wrote: »

Thanks!

What is your MCITP in?

If your CCNA is current, you are probably better off taking the Network Administration degree to maximize your time in. If you have the MCITP:EA already, then for sure get the Network Management and Design. Otherwise, after your transcript evaluation, whichever emphasis has the least amount of credits ("CUs") for you to take, do that one.

BTW, Pishof's response to you about the certs makes the best sense. You do not want to take a cert without being "enrolled" first. Otherwise you get a Requirement Met, which may or may not mess with your SAP ("GPA"). Whenever possible, you want your classes to be "Pass."
  • Options
    Took and passed the 1D0-435 earlier this morning. I honestly thought I would have done a bit better, came out with a 82% and passing is 75%, but a pass is a pass, especially considering I had and still maintain no interest in JavaScript. I'm sure if I had the textbook I could have found the answers for the questions I was iffy about, or even spent more time studying the resources I had available (the ones listed by erpadmin's experience except for uCertify) then I could have squeezed out a couple more points but I'm not too worried about it.

For those still looking to take the 435 before it expires, the free online resources definitely do a great job at covering the majority of the exam, but going off of Pishof's experience with the new exam it honestly may not be worth trying to cram everything in before the end of May (but the 435 material is definitely crammable!).

So I'll be sending in my score report on Monday, and starting tomorrow it's time to tackle the WSV1 course (1D0-520).
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    Took and passed the 1D0-435 earlier this morning. I honestly thought I would have done a bit better, came out with a 82% and passing is 75%, but a pass is a pass, especially considering I had and still maintain no interest in JavaScript. I'm sure if I had the textbook I could have found the answers for the questions I was iffy about, or even spent more time studying the resources I had available (the ones listed by erpadmin's experience except for uCertify) then I could have squeezed out a couple more points but I'm not too worried about it.

For those still looking to take the 435 before it expires, the free online resources definitely do a great job at covering the majority of the exam, but going off of Pishof's experience with the new exam it honestly may not be worth trying to cram everything in before the end of May (but the 435 material is definitely crammable!).

So I'll be sending in my score report on Monday, and starting tomorrow it's time to tackle the WSV1 course (1D0-520).

Congrats brother! 41 out of 50 questions isn't a bad deal at all... :)

I still don't regret spending $64 on uCertify. My whole thing was at the worst, I'd have to go through uCertify's refund process. It made me somewhat comfortable for the exam.

(Sigh...) I can't wait until I pass my first MS exam.....I really need to get that out of my system.